Wizard Guide

Options
matthew
matthew Posts: 135 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Wizard
This is a guide for a fire and water Wizard. I'm using skill descriptions from http://perso.numericable.fr/ecatomb/pw/skillpwi.html.

STAT BUILD: every 2 level stat allocation
Pure: 1 strength, 9 magic
Hybrid:1 strength, 2 vitality, 7 magic
Light Armor: 2 strength, 2 dexterity, 6 magic

I recommend light armor build if you have gold and can refine your equipment. If you are poor I recommend pure or hybrid, depending on how skillful you are handling mobs. Vitality build and heavy armor I find to be lacking. Light armor is better for defense then vitality build due to Stone Barrier buff. Heavy armor will have you completely destroyed by 4 out of 6 classes. Either go pure, adding vitality to survive some if you need it, or roll light armor from the beginning.

SKILLS:
Pyrogram: MAX asap
Gush: MAX asap
Stone Rain: MAX when you can
Pyroshell: do not level.
Glacial Embrace: MAX if you are poor, if have plenty of gold save skill points.
Stone Barrier: MAX for pvp no later then level 60
Crown of Flame: do not level
Hailstorm: do not level
Divine Pyrogram: MAX asap
Morning Dew: no more than level 3.
Pitfall: do not level
The Dragon's Breath: AOE party 60-70 level 5. AOE party 70-80 level 7. AOE party 80+ MAX.
Wellspring Quaff: level 3 so it coincides with your Armor spells. level 5 at level 59 for Sutra
Distance Shrink: personal preference
Will of the Phoenix: personal preference.
Frostblade: do not level
Sandstorm: do not level
Emberstorm: do not level
Glacial Snare: MAX asap
Force of Will: very useful for pvp, but expensive; try to level it 70+.
Blade Tempest: MAX asap
Black Ice Dragon Strike: MAX when you can.
Mountain's Seize: do not level
Essential Sutra: get asap at level 59. must have Wellspring Quaff at level 5.
Fire Mastery: MAX asap
Water Mastery: MAX when you can
Earth Mastery: do not level

Most important spells: Pyrogram, Gush, Divine Pyrogram, Glacial Snare, Blade Tempest.
Post edited by matthew on

Comments

• ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    No fire shield? No phoenix wings? Earth spells, but no mastery? I mean, I can understand the fire shield bit... unless you want to tank various fire bosses(asura2-12-22-3 for example)... but, really.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ark wrote: »
    No fire shield? No phoenix wings? Earth spells, but no mastery? I mean, I can understand the fire shield bit... unless you want to tank various fire bosses(asura2-12-22-3 for example)... but, really.

Armor of Fire is ok at maybe level 5 when you are 60+ to grind on flying foxes. It's not all that great. Phoenix Wings is only useful on physical mobs. After level 50 you will hardly use it, the knockback range is not the same as archer knockback, mobs will still be able to hit you before it goes off if they have ranged attacks most of the time. Its expensive, and cannot be used in pvp against players. I find it a waste. Hail of Doom will be your opening spell most of the time 60+, there is no need for a knockback, they will be severely slowed, and burned down before they can even hit you.

The only earth damage spell on the chart I recommend getting and using is Stone Rain. Many times your normal combo will leave the mob with a sliver of HP. This is when you swap Stone Rain into the combo to finish it efficiently. Stone Rain is also good to use on water mobs. Earth Mastery does not increase anything about Disharmony, Shifting Earth, or Armor of Earth.
  • ark
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Oh? Well, while I was grinding at level 84 or so, I saw the Wizards at my level use the phoenix wings a lot... Demon Chert Warders, they were called. Very good grinding, due to the extra buying missions. Very easy, too. Some Wizards search for pure physical mobs on purpose for ease of levelling, I hear. So, picking on monsters in AoE spots is a good option :D. POs the parties, but you get your exp. I've never been PKed for it, and that's how I levelled my Warrior :p.
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ark wrote: »
    Oh? Well, while I was grinding at level 84 or so, I saw the Wizards at my level use the phoenix wings a lot... Demon Chert Warders, they were called. Very good grinding, due to the extra buying missions. Very easy, too. Some Wizards search for pure physical mobs on purpose for ease of levelling, I hear. So, picking on monsters in AoE spots is a good option :D. POs the parties, but you get your exp. I've never been PKed for it, and that's how I levelled my Warrior :p.

Same as Archer; just because they might use it doesn't mean they have leveled it. Most archers never level Repulsive Arrow, yet they use it all the time. Their knockback is better then wizard, but our slow is much more powerful.

I prefer grinding on air mobs myself. Air and water mobs both offer more experience then land mobs. In water, though, its easier to die then land, due to slow movement speed, three dimensional environment and harder escape routes. In air I find it harder to die. If you take too much agro, just fall to the ground a bit and fly back.
  • ark
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ah. Well, the air/water grinding parties are usually full 7x+. The demand is so high! Anyways, I think I would level the phoenix simply for when I do use it, it would be good to get extra damage. It wouldn't be all that bad to have another aoe spell for TW, either.

Besides that, I'd say it's an excellent guide. Thanks for the contribution :cool:

Edit: Oh, I rather liked the Mountain spell for TW, as well. It's useful for when your rush party is charging through one of the gates.
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • taelrak
    taelrak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    matthew wrote: »
    Armor of Fire is ok at maybe level 5 when you are 60+ to grind on flying foxes. It's not all that great. Phoenix Wings is only useful on physical mobs. After level 50 you will hardly use it, the knockback range is not the same as archer knockback, mobs will still be able to hit you before it goes off if they have ranged attacks most of the time. Its expensive, and cannot be used in pvp against players. I find it a waste. Hail of Doom will be your opening spell most of the time 60+, there is no need for a knockback, they will be severely slowed, and burned down before they can even hit you.

I disagree. Phoenix has many advantages. For example, it has the fastest cast for dps ratio of all fire spells. You can't knockback in pvp, but it gets out damage fast if people are near you - plus it is aoe, you can hit a bunch of people at once really fast if for some reason you're that close.

Also, one of the hardest-hitting mobs after 70 are cavalry mobs - either in the swamp, or south of 1000streams, etc. You'll be seeing a lot of them if you do any quests past that level. They have a long-range aoe attack, as well as a very short-range attack that does incredible damage if each bolt hits. This is one of the mobs where you can effectively neutralize that attack by casting phoenix and pushing them out of range while they're casting that attack to give yourself a few seconds to finish them off before they use their long-range aoe attack. Not everything has the whole 28m range of a full caster. A lot of mobs have short-range attacks that you can neutralize this way.

If you're in a crowded small area with many people and many many mobs packed close together, phoenix is great just for adding dps since you can hit many mobs at once at very little danger to yourself.

It's also useful for those times when you disrupt zhen for whatever reason and need something that gives the group a little extra time with those 30 mobs that the lurer just pulled.

Finally, once a wizard has all his skills, phoenix makes it so you'll never be hit by a physical mob. You have enough spells to effectively defeat any normal physical mob before it gets off a hit (slow effects, phoenix, blast point, etc.). This isn't really possible to do consistently without phoenix in your spell rotation even if you're pure int and have a +10 gold weapon. There ARE pure melee mobs in later levels.

The idea of a skill build only matters at low-mid level, since by a moderately high level you'll have every skill maxed anyway. It is exactly at those low-mid levels where phoenix is most useful.
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    Options
    "I disagree. Phoenix has many advantages. For example, it has the fastest cast for dps ratio of all fire spells. You can't knockback in pvp, but it gets out damage fast if people are near you - plus it is aoe, you can hit a bunch of people at once really fast if for some reason you're that close."

I'm not saying it's worthless. I'm saying, to me, it's not worth leveling until later. With the skill points available it's much better to level the other skills. Firewings is too expensive to level early on. Maxing the other spells I mentioned are better, and if you are that close to people I advise using Shifting Earth and running instead of using firewings.

"Also, one of the hardest-hitting mobs after 70 are cavalry mobs - either in the swamp, or south of 1000streams, etc. You'll be seeing a lot of them if you do any quests past that level. They have a long-range aoe attack, as well as a very short-range attack that does incredible damage if each bolt hits. This is one of the mobs where you can effectively neutralize that attack by casting phoenix and pushing them out of range while they're casting that attack to give yourself a few seconds to finish them off before they use their long-range aoe attack. Not everything has the whole 28m range of a full caster. A lot of mobs have short-range attacks that you can neutralize this way."

Archer's knockback does not have a range to it. You hit a mob with it, and it gets repelled. Firewings has a 10m range to it. Most mobs ranged attack is ~15m. I find it rare that you stop a ranged mob from nailing you with this spell. You will start your lead spell, mob will move to you, you fire your second spell, mob begins casting, you start firewings, but instead of repelling them you get a blast to the face as your wizard moves forward a few meters to firewing them.

"If you're in a crowded small area with many people and many many mobs packed close together, phoenix is great just for adding dps since you can hit many mobs at once at very little danger to yourself. It's also useful for those times when you disrupt zhen for whatever reason and need something that gives the group a little extra time with those 30 mobs that the lurer just pulled."

Very little danger? Firewinging a group of mobs without being well agroed by a tank is a good way for dying. Much more advisable to assist the tank with single-target spells then suicide with firewings.

"Finally, once a wizard has all his skills, phoenix makes it so you'll never be hit by a physical mob. You have enough spells to effectively defeat any normal physical mob before it gets off a hit (slow effects, phoenix, blast point, etc.). This isn't really possible to do consistently without phoenix in your spell rotation even if you're pure int and have a +10 gold weapon. There ARE pure melee mobs in later levels."

Level 1 Firewings is sufficient to never be hit by a physical mob, you do not need to level it.

"The idea of a skill build only matters at low-mid level, since by a moderately high level you'll have every skill maxed anyway. It is exactly at those low-mid levels where phoenix is most useful."

And it's exactly where you will be cramped for skill points. Level 1 Firewings will be fine there. Leveling up Brand of Fire, Surging Spring, Stone Rain, Armor of Ice, Brand of Godly Flame, Hail of Doom, and Fire and Water Mastery I find to be much more important.

I hear you out, and I respect your opinion. Everyone has their own playstyle. Some enjoy firewings. I personally don't. I leveled mine to level 5 and I feel like it was a complete waste.
  • taelrak
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'm not saying it's worthless. I'm saying, to me, it's not worth leveling until later. With the skill points available it's much better to level the other skills. Firewings is too expensive to level early on. Maxing the other spells I mentioned are better, and if you are that close to people I advise using Shifting Earth and running instead of using firewings.

Well, sure normally you'd want to use distance shrink and get away if at all possible (but then again, for some classes you want to be closer). Still, the fast cast and dps is handy.
    Archer's knockback does not have a range to it. You hit a mob with it, and it gets repelled. Firewings has a 10m range to it. Most mobs ranged attack is ~15m. I find it rare that you stop a ranged mob from nailing you with this spell. You will start your lead spell, mob will move to you, you fire your second spell, mob begins casting, you start firewings, but instead of repelling them you get a blast to the face as your wizard moves forward a few meters to firewing them.

You're not always lucky enough to have an archer in the group though. The timing, distance, and all will vary, but I've had decent success with using it as CC for non-melee mobs.
    Very little danger? Firewinging a group of mobs without being well agroed by a tank is a good way for dying. Much more advisable to assist the tank with single-target spells then suicide with firewings.

Sorry, I should've been clearer when i said group -- i meant in group grinding situations (butterlies, etc.). You don't have a "tank" per se in such groups often. Clearly you're not going to go up and aoe a pack of HH mobs.

On boss fights with an element though, I usually use Phoenix as my spell inbetween rotations (with fast cast items, you'll always have downtime while waiting for your preferred element spells to recharge).
    Level 1 Firewings is sufficient to never be hit by a physical mob, you do not need to level it.[

The 2 ranges increase with higher levels, which makes it much more useful. Plus the extra damage is nice too.
    And it's exactly where you will be cramped for skill points. Level 1 Firewings will be fine there. Leveling up Brand of Fire, Surging Spring, Stone Rain, Armor of Ice, Brand of Godly Flame, Hail of Doom, and Fire and Water Mastery I find to be much more important.

There's really not that much need to level Armor of Ice unless you're tanking water mobs a lot - I usually only level it at 60 to kill Aquascout. You can easily cover the mana usage with pots that drop and a hiero.
    I hear you out, and I respect your opinion. Everyone has their own playstyle. Some enjoy firewings. I personally don't. I leveled mine to level 5 and I feel like it was a complete waste.

Fair enough.
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    Options
    taelrak wrote: »
    The 2 ranges increase with higher levels, which makes it much more useful. Plus the extra damage is nice too.

Ok, this is what I thought as well. The pw-my skill database (http://perso.numericable.fr/ecatomb/pw/skillmy.html) shows an increase in casting distance of it, and that is the only reason I leveled it, thinking I could level it higher and it could knock them back from further away. However, by level 5 it still was not enough. The pw-int skill database (http://perso.numericable.fr/ecatomb/pw/skillpwi.html) shows a static 10m range to it, which goes along more with my experience of it. From level 1 to 5 I still had to run the same distance up to a ranged mob to try and repel it. I'm not sure which is correct, but I'm sure by level 5 it still is not sufficient to meet my needs, which is repelling them before a ranged mob starts its casting, after I have lead with 2 spells(running up to a mob after your lead spell just to repel it seems kind of counterproductive).

I will agree with you on Armor of Ice, that it's not totally necessary. It helps a good bit on mana regen to save gold, but if you have plenty of gold then that wont be a problem, and you can max Armor of Earth sooner for pvp. In fact I think I will change it, ty.
  • taelrak
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ok, this is what I thought as well. The pw-my skill database (http://perso.numericable.fr/ecatomb/pw/skillmy.html) shows an increase in casting distance of it, and that is the only reason I leveled it, thinking I could level it higher and it could knock them back from further away. However, by level 5 it still was not enough. The pw-int skill database (http://perso.numericable.fr/ecatomb/pw/skillpwi.html) shows a static 10m range to it, which goes along more with my experience of it. From level 1 to 5 I still had to run the same distance up to a ranged mob to try and repel it. I'm not sure which is correct, but I'm sure by level 5 it still is not sufficient to meet my needs, which is repelling them before a ranged mob starts its casting, after I have lead with 2 spells(running up to a mob after your lead spell just to repel it seems kind of counterproductive).

I will agree with you on Armor of Ice, that it's not totally necessary. It helps a good bit on mana regen to save gold, but if you have plenty of gold then that wont be a problem, and you can max Armor of Earth sooner for pvp. In fact I think I will change it, ty.

I'd check for you, but I've long since deleted PW-MY :p

In any event, the knock-back distance does increase though.

Armor of Ice might actually come in handy for PWI CB though - I can't see too many people investing in hieros or cash shop items if they think there will be a wipe (or maybe I"m completely wrong about this?). Hieros would be be incredibly expensive and probably saving every bit of gold would be a good idea in CB maybe.
  • haiz
    haiz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I think your order of importance in skills is phail.

Roasting Fire-Array doesn't go the way you say. Its more on a personal level of what build you use. In AoE parties you want your damage to match everyone else to keep the agro even. If you're pure int and you max yours out then you will take everything and it'll only slow down the party. You level it based on what type of wizard you are. If you're pure int, you shouldn't max it out, but if you're a light or heavy armor wizard you will want to max it out.

Earth attacks are your strongest so you saying no earth mastery is just outrageous.

Cryonite dragon isn't that good, oh sure it has a nice big number but it sucks in comparison to tempest.

Arenaceous wave is also one of your best attacks yet you say don't level.

Oh, and frost enchanted blade is very useful once maxed out.

Phoenix firewings is probably one of the best non-vigor using pvp skills for a wizard, maxing is very good.

Oh, and divine pyro hierogram is epic fail, stick with blazing hierogram.

Saying "I'm a water and fire build!" means nothing because each spell from each element are necessary if you want to be a decent wizard.

Armor of ice > armor of earth till you reach 60+. Even then I'd still use armor of ice unless its PvP or an AoE party.
  • koz
    koz Posts: 465 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    haiz wrote: »

Roasting Fire-Array doesn't go the way you say. Its more on a personal level of what build you use. In AoE parties you want your damage to match everyone else to keep the agro even. If you're pure int and you max yours out then you will take everything and it'll only slow down the party. You level it based on what type of wizard you are. If you're pure int, you shouldn't max it out, but if you're a light or heavy armor wizard you will want to max it out.

Earth attacks are your strongest so you saying no earth mastery is just outrageous.

Cryonite dragon isn't that good, oh sure it has a nice big number but it sucks in comparison to tempest.

Arenaceous wave is also one of your best attacks yet you say don't level.

Phoenix firewings is probably one of the best non-vigor using pvp skills for a wizard, maxing is very good.

Oh, and divine pyro hierogram is epic fail, stick with blazing hierogram.

Saying "I'm a water and fire build!" means nothing because each spell from each element are necessary if you want to be a decent wizard.

Armor of ice > armor of earth till you reach 60+. Even then I'd still use armor of ice unless its PvP or an AoE party.

How is frost enchanted blade useful? That is pretty much a useless spell for a mage, unless you plan to party with people alot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • taelrak
    edited August 2008
    Options

Frost enchanted blade doesn't increase your own damage at all. It's only useful if you group with physical attackers a lot. It's useful, but it's not that important to the point where I'd train in it as a priority.

Armor of ice doesn't really give you any benefits when you have a mp hiero up (which you always should). It saves you some money in the long run I suppose, but it's usually a better idea to have earth up in case some EA decides to snipe you (unless of course you're fighting something that does water damage).
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    Options
    This is what I found wizards had their fire array at usually. I did try to match.

Earth attacks are your strongest? Blizzard Blast is the strongest single target nuke. Cryonite is the strongest magical aoe. I like pyro edge I agree that's why I say max asap, and not on cryonite, but cryonite is the strongest aoe pure magic attack and is useful for damaging heavy armor.

Arenaceous is a good spell but you will be cramped for skill points. Frost enchanted isn't that bad, but once again you are cramped, and it's better to spend the points in a spell that can help you level. The only pvp use I find for firewings is knocking back venomancer pets.

I usually grind on metal mobs, so divine pyro is far from fail to me. Divine pyro works beautifully with sutra as well as it only has a one second cast time. Divine pyro is also your most damaging spell for a long time.

I disagree that each spell from every realm is necessary. I believe you can specialize in two elements, and be more powerful for a good part of the game.

Armor of earth is absolutely necessary for pvp. If you are going to pvp you want this maxxed asap. Armor of ice helps you save money, but if you have gold and want to be strongest in pvp, then you can spend more skill points on other spells.
  • kuailiang
    kuailiang Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I managed to level my Wizard, on MY-EN, to level 60 using Blazing Hierogram, Divine Pyro Hierogram, Spring Gush and, against Water/Fire mobs, Rock Fall. Phoenix Fire Wings level 1 is also important to avoid taking damage. Armor of Earth is also important until you get Phoenix Fire Wings.

That's my personal experience, it is in no way the only skills you should level up nor the only way to level up your skills. That's just how it worked for me.
  • haiz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Wow, I guess most wanna-be wizards here are rather selfish. "Frost enchanted blade doesn't help me any so I won't get it at all".

Now then, let me get into specifics instead of saying what is nice to use and what isn't. I'm assuming you haven't gotten anywhere near 8x or above considering you're saying "Oh I don't have enough sp to get that!".

Blizzard blast is your best single target attack simply because it does have high attack and has a great effect that comes along with it. The only problem is its cool down. If you want to solo, blizzard blast is a one time spell and you won't be using it again for a while. The reason why divine pyro is such an epic fail of a spell is because of its casting time compared to damage. You can cast a spring gush and a blazing hierogram in the time you cast one divine pyro, and I can guarantee you that the two spells will do more damage. Granted divine pyro is nice if you use sutra, but you can't depend on having two vigor points all the time and using vigor bursts is way better than sutra in most cases. Which leaves arenaceous wave as a good, spammable spell that gives you a huge advantage on leveling at water mobs which will give you bonus exp. Grinding on water mobs is what you do instead of AoE parties too if you want a cheaper way to level. In terms of being able to spam a strong skill, arenaceous is better than blizzard. It's also a good spell to use on bosses, it does help the tank.

As a mage, your best skills are your faster casting skills, aka the starting three. Rock fall is especially superb if you ever reach the ripe level of 89 where it basically becomes overpowered and is as strong as blizzard blast (if you get the book).

And take this from someone who had a level 10 tempest and a level 10 cryonite, tempest is better. I tested it in many cases and on many classes and in many wars. Though one hitting a barbarian with a triple fury burst + cryonite dragon is just plain sexy. Too bad I lost all my screen shots in my format.

damage.jpg
    That was my 9x wizard hitting an 8x archer who had full gold hh armor. Rock fall + pyro edge tempest I believe it was, good times.
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Wow, I guess most wanna-be wizards here are rather selfish. "Frost enchanted blade doesn't help me any so I won't get it at all".

Now then, let me get into specifics instead of saying what is nice to use and what isn't. I'm assuming you haven't gotten anywhere near 8x or above considering you're saying "Oh I don't have enough sp to get that!".

Blizzard blast is your best single target attack simply because it does have high attack and has a great effect that comes along with it. The only problem is its cool down. If you want to solo, blizzard blast is a one time spell and you won't be using it again for a while. The reason why divine pyro is such an epic fail of a spell is because of its casting time compared to damage. You can cast a spring gush and a blazing hierogram in the time you cast one divine pyro, and I can guarantee you that the two spells will do more damage. Granted divine pyro is nice if you use sutra, but you can't depend on having two vigor points all the time and using vigor bursts is way better than sutra in most cases. Which leaves arenaceous wave as a good, spammable spell that gives you a huge advantage on leveling at water mobs which will give you bonus exp. Grinding on water mobs is what you do instead of AoE parties too if you want a cheaper way to level. In terms of being able to spam a strong skill, arenaceous is better than blizzard. It's also a good spell to use on bosses, it does help the tank.

As a mage, your best skills are your faster casting skills, aka the starting three. Rock fall is especially superb if you ever reach the ripe level of 89 where it basically becomes overpowered and is as strong as blizzard blast (if you get the book).

And take this from someone who had a level 10 tempest and a level 10 cryonite, tempest is better. I tested it in many cases and on many classes and in many wars. Though one hitting a barbarian with a triple fury burst + cryonite dragon is just plain sexy. Too bad I lost all my screen shots in my format.

damage.jpg
    That was my 9x wizard hitting an 8x archer who had full gold hh armor. Rock fall + pyro edge tempest I believe it was, good times.

If I'm trying to level as fast as possible and pvp, what does frostblade have to do with it? I think you assume to much, yeah I have gotten to 80. Glacial Sare isnt a one time spell, it's cooldown is no loner than an archer's Impact Arrow, or Blinding Arrow, which is 15 seconds. Under most circumstances you can use this spell to lead. If I am killing faster than 15 seconds thats where I lead with a Divine Pyrogram, and combo swap.

Grinding on water mobs doesn't start till around level 80. Until then I recommend soloing on air mobs or aoe party, which is fire based, which is what this skill build mostly is.
  • haiz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You want to level as fast as possible? Then you get frost blade to help the melees kill faster. You answered your own question, durr. Just get level 1 and its enough till you have extra sp in the 80's. Even cold dew is a useful spell as a wizard because sometimes one cleric just isn't enough. I've done nothing but heal on many 2-2 hh runes against asura because we only had one cleric on. I think my cold dew was level 6 or 7.

Like I already said before, divine pyrogram is in no way useful unless you are using sutra. Long casting time and weak damage you're better off using two starting spells. When it comes to dungeon parties, blizzard blast becomes useless and then arenaceous becomes one of your best spells. Blizzard blast is merely a solo tool yes, it is good for a starting spell and only that. Arenaceous is one of your most useful tools as it is much more spammable with much higher damage than divine pyrogram.

Stop being selfish and learn to help the party, because I know you do that before you reach 80, right?
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. There are definitely other ways to build a wizard, and they make good support if built that way, yet most people don't realize it. This guide though is not for a support wizard. This guide is for a fire element specialized wizard.

Everyone has their own play style, and of course will make their own build tailored to them. I've only attempted to give advice on the most basic spells and builds, so that people new to wizard wishing to play them will at least have one type of wizard skill guide to roll with. I know many wizards choose this type of wizard, and I know many wizard choose a more balanced element build, and I know some wizards have an earth specialized build. However, I do not have the experience of the other wizard builds, I found myself too tight on skill points to have everything I wanted, so I chose to specialize in fire. So, instead of mentioning every build, even builds I'm not experienced with, I chose to make a guide and give advice and experience on the way I built my wizard.

Feel free to make guides as well, because I'm not denying any of the spells you mentioned aren't good, it's just the skill points aren't there for a long time. This is what I went with and I had an easy time leveling, so I know it's a valid build. The water spells cannot be chain cast, due to Glacial Snares long cooldown, so I don't think specializing in water is a stong build. Stone Rain and Sandstorm can be chain casted, so an earth element specialized wizard is a valid build to me. The problem I encountered was that Sandstorm was not obtainable until level 39, and going for at least 20 levels without a decent Divine Pyrogram seemed a harder road. I've wanted to play an earth-based wizard though, and if you have experience building an earth based wizard I would love to see your skill build recommendations.
  • haiz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Like I said, useless to go into one or two elements.

If you're too tight on SP then you're doing something wrong. I was able to keep all the attack skills maxed as I reached their level for all three elements. I don't see why you're saying "support mage" when all I said was you get a simple buff and use it once every 30 minutes, does that make you support? Or if by any chance you don't have any clerics and instead you heal, that makes you support? It's called being a well rounded mage, who still has every single target attack skill up to date and uses full potential. In HH runs wizards are known for being rather useless. People liked taking me along though because I attacked and healed making me much more loved.

You shouldn't be running out of SP, you should be running out of gold.

Saying "fire specialized" means nothing to me because you get nothing extra than a mage who is "well rounded". There isn't limited points, you do get everything, but like you said there is a shortage on SP. The shortage on SP isn't as extreme as you say it is though, because there is plenty to get all three elements if you leave out the unnecessary spells. I just disagree with you on what you consider is unnecessary. You also called this a "wizard guide", so I assumed it was for wizards, and not a "fire specialist".
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Like I said, useless to go into one or two elements.

If you're too tight on SP then you're doing something wrong. I was able to keep all the attack skills maxed as I reached their level for all three elements. I don't see why you're saying "support mage" when all I said was you get a simple buff and use it once every 30 minutes, does that make you support? Or if by any chance you don't have any clerics and instead you heal, that makes you support? It's called being a well rounded mage, who still has every single target attack skill up to date and uses full potential. In HH runs wizards are known for being rather useless. People liked taking me along though because I attacked and healed making me much more loved.

You shouldn't be running out of SP, you should be running out of gold.

Saying "fire specialized" means nothing to me because you get nothing extra than a mage who is "well rounded". There isn't limited points, you do get everything, but like you said there is a shortage on SP. The shortage on SP isn't as extreme as you say it is though, because there is plenty to get all three elements if you leave out the unnecessary spells. I just disagree with you on what you consider is unnecessary. You also called this a "wizard guide", so I assumed it was for wizards, and not a "fire specialist".

It might be useless to go into two elements for you, it's not to me. You seem to be very dogmatic, and believe you have the ultimate wizard build. Then by all means show us, please.

I'm not doing anything wrong, people play how they want. There is no way possible you have the skill points to keep all the nukes up to date AND keep the element masteries up to date. This is what it means by specializing, you only level masteries in two realms, and level up your major nukes from those realms. Yes, you do get something more then a well rounded wizard, you get better damage due to higher level masteries.

In your example, yes that makes you a support wizard. Wizards are much better to use as a damage dealer if possible, not a healer. If you end up healing for a boss, you are support. No one takes a wizard to holy hall or fb unless they feel like it or are your friend, believe me it has nothing to do with your heal spell. A wizard is not needed.

One last question. Are you haiz from oracle server?
  • haiz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yeah, I am. And my guild knew me for being able to attack and heal in bosses. I don't see how I'm support when I still have maxed out attack skills and the ability to heal. All it does is give me an edge over someone who doesn't heal. Not to mention our one buff we have that I use and it is appreciated as it adds to overall dps a lot. Asked an 8x archer buddy of mine how much it added to his damage and he said about 600 per shot. Doesn't sound like much, but remember how long boss fights are and how fast archers attack.

And yes, my heal spell has everything to do with it. You probably don't realize it because you never did it yourself. We have a full party that wants to go to HH but we only have one healer on, so what do we do? We call in the amazing Haiz to heal the tank as a back up so we can do it instead of not going due to a lack of clerics. If we have two clerics? I get to go dish out damage, either way, I have one more use than you. Though no clerics and two wizards healing is just dumb.

Oh and my wizard build most people don't like and would never go through. Most people say "I want to be pure int!", but they never get far. Not only that, but what I do most people can't do due to a lack of simple common sense, so its better off with simpler guides. Skill guides are one thing where you tell people to get certain skills are one thing, using the skills so you get the best out of them is a whole new world that can't be put into a guide. I've already expressed my feelings through my posts so if you want to see the "ultimate" guide you can scavenge through all those long **** posts I made. =p
  • matthew
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yeah, I am. And my guild knew me for being able to attack and heal in bosses. I don't see how I'm support when I still have maxed out attack skills and the ability to heal. All it does is give me an edge over someone who doesn't heal. Not to mention our one buff we have that I use and it is appreciated as it adds to overall dps a lot. Asked an 8x archer buddy of mine how much it added to his damage and he said about 600 per shot. Doesn't sound like much, but remember how long boss fights are and how fast archers attack.

And yes, my heal spell has everything to do with it. You probably don't realize it because you never did it yourself. We have a full party that wants to go to HH but we only have one healer on, so what do we do? We call in the amazing Haiz to heal the tank as a back up so we can do it instead of not going due to a lack of clerics. If we have two clerics? I get to go dish out damage, either way, I have one more use than you. Though no clerics and two wizards healing is just dumb.

Oh and my wizard build most people don't like and would never go through. Most people say "I want to be pure int!", but they never get far. Not only that, but what I do most people can't do due to a lack of simple common sense, so its better off with simpler guides. Skill guides are one thing where you tell people to get certain skills are one thing, using the skills so you get the best out of them is a whole new world that can't be put into a guide. I've already expressed my feelings through my posts so if you want to see the "ultimate" guide you can scavenge through all those long **** posts I made. =p

Yeah haiz, I've grouped with you. You helped me do my fb. You decided to out damage the tank and tank the boss to show off and almost got yourself killed and was making the healers mad. You also did an amazing job of wiping the party with pulling agro on the last boss. You really impressed me.

You also are the same person who said you grind on mobs without using hiero or potions, which is utter and complete nonsense. If you don't need mana regen for grinding as a wizard then you need to learn to kill faster.

I've tried being nice to you, but that has failed. So now I'm telling you how it is. You were a nub, you are a nub, and you always will be. I don't need to ask anyone I've seen firsthand. I will not respond to any more of your posts. Have a nice day, enjoy your beta.
  • haiz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You're right, I did grind off of fishes in parties without hieros, and my secret to grinding without doing it was quite simple. Double fury and triple fury regens a percent of your mana, I was pure int and I used that spell that increased my mana pool. It only took me two to three spells to kill each mob, and I used less mp to kill at a constant pace than what I gained. I'm sorry I knew how to grind constantly at a cheap price. People loved me at fishes, a few of the clerics said they always gained more exp when I was there. 300k exp per hour was always so nice. Oh, and I did use maybe 5 potions per hour for grinding, my method wasn't completely perfect. =p

About pulling bosses in fbs, depends which fb it was. If it was 19, 29, 39, 59, or 79 then I probably did pull it on purpose because I tank those all the time. Thanks for helping me prove my point though, I wasn't support, I could pull agro off of tanks and even tank them myself. Dunno what you're saying though about trying to tank a boss that I can't tank. Normally I'd blame the barbarian for not using bite enough and getting enough hate, but I probably have done what you said a couple of times. Sorry, it's hard controlling my hate and doing less than the tank because I do use the ultimate build after all.
  • irbis
    irbis Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    well hi and hello. i am about to make a wizard and i was reading this whole topic and foun dit very interesting. until the flame fiesta started. to be neutral i do see you Haiz as the main flamefactor here. its not exactly about what you are saying but HOW you do that. you are acting arogant, full of yourself and sorry but it really lower the possibility of anybody listening to what you have to say. ofcourse you will say the most generic thing now that "you dont care". well if you dont care then maybe make some room for people that actouly CARE and are able to share their views and build in a more "polite" way. even if you got some legendery panaceum for all the pain there is i really couldnt care less as long as you are doing stuff this nooby(yes) way. you may not know it but noob is not equal to newbie aka new player. noob is actualy a common word for "jerk" who posses an overgrow ego and w/e lvl your charas are, w/e your in-game expirience is, your noob-atitude is killing it as you are not capable of normal polite conversation.
    and i would like to read more post comming from Mat - not because he's some kind of PRO and total wiseman, but because he is able to share his expirience in easy to grip way without bursting around about how awesome he is.
    as i said, i am looking forward to read more from you Mat and i hope you will accept this invitation.
    EDIT: sorry for typos and stuff. to all that ppl who are about to flame me cuz of my grammar - i am a selflearner in english lang and it isnt my main. belive or not but i am doing my best to make my post understandble for most of the readers. so just go and flame someone else as i really dont care lol
    There exist only three beings worthy of respect:
    the priest, the soldier, the poet.
    To know, to kill, to create.
    -severan
  • haiz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Sorry but I wasn't aware that I was flaming, I was expressing my opinion in a guide that I disagreed with. The only flame I see here is Matthew calling me a big noob, get your facts straight.

I'm also sorry if I come off cocky, but you know what, I am. I talked big in this thread and I backed it all up. I'm a jerk to everyone, friends included but in more of a fun way, if you can't take criticism, then you shouldn't be into making guides. Guides are something to read and learn from, and if there are no negative inputs then the guides will never improve. There always has to be a jerk somewhere for everything to improve. In another game a player I looked up to stated, "There has to be at least one jerk for this to work". There needs to be a jerk who will state what is wrong even though everyone likes it already. Without a jerk you get the same old **** with no newer version.

Oh, and I do care what people think, thats why I'm here still defending myself. Well, that and because I'm bored and waiting for OB to start so I can start kickin' it old school. To your definition of "noob" as well, Matthew is the only one who lost his "attitude" by being the first one to start calling me names. I wasn't here to flame, and I never did, I was just here to try to help new people with wizards. Don't see why two people can't have a debate without someone calling it a "flame war".
  • irbis
    edited August 2008
    Options
    and so you did it again...
    read my lips: its not about WHAT you say but HOW you do that. imagine it as a politic. a sorry a$$ politic got most of the votes cuz of hes big bright shinny smile. and there we go with person maybe capable of being a better then that but have a total lack of charm, lang or style. you think how Bush won last voting? lol
    ofcourse both of that examples i provied are far-ended. there can be a persons betwen those two like one who speak bias and is a bull himself, and also kind a rare type which smile birightly and in overall is good guy.
    so long story short, think of that your agenda is: "wining" this convo or making ppl start listening to you. if its the first one... well there no contest here, and by "defending" like this you are going lower and lower. if its the secund thing you should really change the way you speak if you hope for any audience.
    most of my IR life i am one big son of a... but thats my privet face. can you imagine doing anything in real which involes human relationship with the same face? like trying to get a loan or something or asking for help?
    "please can you help me" vs "will you help me for damn sake???"
    same message in core. but how diffrent arent they?
    -severan
  • haiz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Are you saying you support McCain because he has more experience and don't vote for Obama because he's young and has a good smile? That's all I got out of the post really. It's really hard to respond to you because I got no idea what point you're trying to prove.

Obama for 08 by the way.

Since you seemingly think everyone hates me, I got a nice message the other day in game telling me that my guide helped them. So I guess its just you who thinks I'm a total jerk? Well, it's me and you both because I know I'm one.
  • irbis
    edited August 2008
    Options
    nah that was just an example of how the "smiling ratio" aka atitude can change how people see you and respond to you. and thats mostly all of it lol
    about Obama - it really doesnt affects me much as i live in europe but after seeining so many black presidents in movies (morgan freeman FTW!!!!!!) i would go with Omaba. if you ask me Caine is old sousagge that is unable to accept or understand the changes that took place around the world from in the time when he was with power last time. and hilary...? whos hilary? ;)
    but lets not derail this topic. atleast not into politics thread ;D
    -severan
  • ballsy
    ballsy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    @irbis- Uhh...thanks for dragging this off-topic.
This discussion has been closed.