Opinions on this build...

novalee
novalee Posts: 14 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Wizard
Is hybrid the way to go for Wizards? I mean...if you go for full int then you will have very low hp and thats really bad in my book >.> So what if you can do more dmg...u cant live long enough to enjoy it :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Devil May Cry:p
Post edited by novalee on

Comments

• matthew
    matthew Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    It depends on what you want to do or what you plan to do. If you plan on AOE partying mostly 60+, light armor is a strong option, as the mobs you will be AOEing are melee mobs. If you don't plan AOEing much, and plan on soloing, then the higher your INT the better you solo. If you are new to the wizard class then pure INT from the beginning might be difficult, as wizards in robes take heavy melee damage, and they don't get their knockback until level 39.

If you plan on AOEing to end game, I recommend light armor. If you plan on solo I recommend a half-hybrid build. This will give you just enough hit point buffer to not tick your vital hierogram all the time, to make use of your heal spell and potions, and to take a few hits from archer mobs.

Basic Builds - Every 2 level stat allocation
    Pure: 1 str, 9 int
    Half-Hybrid: 1 str, 1 con, 8 int
    Hybrid: 1 str, 2 con, 7 int
    Light Armor: 2 str, 2 agi, 6 int
  • koz
    koz Posts: 465 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    If you go pure int as a mage you are just foolish. You will only have about 2k health around level 100 unless you add hp stones. You are better off adding 100-150 con and rest into int (you will still have a good amount of int).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • erado
    erado Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    that last post is pretty much nonsense

most of the lvl 100+ mages restat to full int because of the high damage needed.

and basically, at high lvls your gear can and will give way more hp then then constitution will give you.
  • mazterl
    mazterl Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Doesn't it also depend on the way you play?

If you play solo PvE most of the time, then a Lightly Armored build isn't all that crappy. But if you do party more than anything, then a pure build would be the way to go. By having a tank in front you will be able to stand back and the need for higher HP and armor is limited.
    "Normality is the Death of Personality,
    Less Idelogy, More Fantasy."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • taelrak
    taelrak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    koz wrote: »
    If you go pure int as a mage you are just foolish. You will only have about 2k health around level 100 unless you add hp stones. You are better off adding 100-150 con and rest into int (you will still have a good amount of int).

Well, it's not "foolish". It's a perfectly viable build. As for hp stones - who doesn't have hp stones at lvl 100? By that level, the only real reason you're making money is to create hp stones past grade 8 or 9 and enchant your items to the same. You also get some hp from enchanting your equipment.
    mazterl wrote: »
    Doesn't it also depend on the way you play?

If you play solo PvE most of the time, then a Lightly Armored build isn't all that crappy. But if you do party more than anything, then a pure build would be the way to go. By having a tank in front you will be able to stand back and the need for higher HP and armor is limited.

A pure int build isn't quite as useful in pve parties as you might think. A well-equpped pure int wizard is like a well-equipped archer, you do tons and tons of damage and pull aggro like crazy, especially since you can often take advantage of elemental weakness more than other classes. On normal trash mobs, the tank won't be hitting them enough to grab aggro, so you're very limited in the # of casts you can cast before the mobs go for you. Even on bosses in FBs, you can easily pull aggro unless you wait quite a while before nuking and space out your nukes. This isn't really a problem on HH bosses though, but those bosses do often have aoe attacks that you might have trouble surviving as pure int.

Basically, this means you have to consciously lower your dps to avoid pulling mobs off the tank anyway, so all that extra int isn't really that useful in pve.

For grinding parties, pure int is almost more of a detriment than anything else. In zhen, this often means you'll have to keep your fire array level low (again purposefully lowering your dps), and if you're the highest dps in the group, unless your lurers are incredibly good with stuns and knockbacks, you will die and disrupt the zhen. Even if you're completely geared out in the best gold gear available and have high enchant armor and high grade stones, you'll die often. It's not impossible--I was a pure int wizard on MY, but it's not quite as useful as one might think either.
  • r00st3r
    r00st3r Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    i never played this game before but how abt
    1 str , 2 con , 1 agi, 5 int

or maybe eliminate agility completely cause , unless its really needed
  • taelrak
    edited August 2008
    r00st3r wrote: »
    i never played this game before but how abt
    1 str , 2 con , 1 agi, 5 int

or maybe eliminate agility completely cause , unless its really needed

You get 5 points a level. I'm assuming your scheme is for every 2 levels then, so you'd still have an extra point left over somewhere.

Instead of a set level up scheme like that, figure out what you want ultimately in the long run and build towards that.

By that I mean, decide on the type of armor you want first: robes, light, heavy, dual?

Then see what stats you need to wear that armor. For example, you'll almost always need 300ish in int to use your weapons by lvl 99. Heavy and light armor will have higher str and agi requirements than robes.

Typically, if you go light or heavy armor, you'll have very few points to put into con (only around 30ish) - unless you depend on specific equipment that you know you'd never replace to make up for those points (eye of the forest, etc.).

If you go a robes build, you have more room to play around with a hybrid of con and int if you want.

Offhand, unless you're planning on doing a light or heavy or dual build of some kind, I'd skip agi entirely, and definitely wouldn't put any points in it early on. You only get +1 crit for every 20 points of agi (i.e. 15 points for the first +1 since you start with 5 already), which isn't really worth it unless you need points in agi for equipment prereqs anyway.

As for str, since you get no incremental benefits from it and you only want it for equipment prereqs, plot out when you're going to change equipment (usually every other level pre 60, then every 10 levels after that usually for major equipment pieces, with a few exceptions), and just add str just enough to wear your eq when you reach those levels.
  • koz
    koz Posts: 465 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Why does everyone say you need light armor to zhen? I've always zhenned as a robe wizard and with a priest my hierogram was never activated. Especially since you will have more than 1 AoEr in your party so you will probably exchange aggros.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • r00st3r
    r00st3r Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    sorry , i didnt kow armors have different stats .
    wat r the types or armors beside light armor n wat r its uses.
  • taelrak
    edited August 2008
    koz wrote: »
    Why does everyone say you need light armor to zhen? I've always zhenned as a robe wizard and with a priest my hierogram was never activated. Especially since you will have more than 1 AoEr in your party so you will probably exchange aggros.

You don't need light armor. It just makes life a lot easier. I went through my zhen levels as pure int, and while it was certainly doable, there were definitely times when it was exceedingly painful.

It's not always possible to find the perfect group, with the exact level range and class distribution. You won't always have access to both WR and WB buffs, and stuns and knockbacks. Even if you do, not all lurers coordinate their stuns and knockbacks well either.

Also, trading aggro isn't consistent. A mage's array does the same damage per tick, but an Archer doesn't, especially with crits. Plus, distance affects damage too. You also can't guarantee that your other DD(s) will be able to do enough damage to pull aggro off you at all, especially if you're the highest level in that group. There's also at least one zhen area where the mobs are metal-based - if your other DD is an EA, you will be hitting more than him with your fire-based aoe.

Light armor just helps ensure that extra survivability while making sure your damage isn't disproportionately higher than other DDs in the party. A lot of wizards actually just toss on a lvl 40 heavy armor or something for zhen.
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Hmm... if I was going Halfpure build(not hybrid), how far would I have to level the Roasting Fire? Just curious. Would appreciate replies.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • taelrak
    edited August 2008
    ark wrote: »
    Hmm... if I was going Halfpure build(not hybrid), how far would I have to level the Roasting Fire? Just curious. Would appreciate replies.

No clue what halfpure means :p

Eventually you'll level it to 10 no matter what build you do, it's just a matter of timing. You can keep it at 1 when you're first zhenning, bring it up to 3 around 65-70, 7 around 80, and max before 89. I'm sure there's an optimal damage/mana/level ratio out there somewhere, but for mages it's not as vital as it is for Archers for mana reasons. Just pay attention to the damage you do and the mob aggro you get during a normal group of zhen, and skill up when you feel you're not contributing enough.
  • ark
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, okay. Halfpure, btw, is what's between a hybrid and a pure Int. It's barely enough to survive in a HH, but it works while delivering the best damage.
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • taelrak
    edited August 2008
    ark wrote: »
    Yeah, okay. Halfpure, btw, is what's between a hybrid and a pure Int. It's barely enough to survive in a HH, but it works while delivering the best damage.

Ah, but that's just a hybrid... there's not really such thing as a "full hybrid"...

As for HH, you can survive just fine in most HH with a pure int build even against physical AE attacks from bosses. Just make sure you have good gear and a hp hiero.
  • ark
    edited August 2008
    Ah. Well, I remember it being a necessity to have, I think, 2.5k+ hp unbuffed. I guess that's just for non-heiro usesr.

... anyways, a hybrid has double the amount of Con as a hybrid. It's easier to say Halfpure than "Half-con hybrid"
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
This discussion has been closed.