zip file no good

shred
shred Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Support Desk
ive dled the game 4 diff times and evert time ive dled it its been messed up and wheni say messed up i mean messed up unable to do n e thing due to all the files being corrupted so n e other idea
Post edited by shred on

Comments

• ryuuzaki
    ryuuzaki Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Are you using the direct download, or the torrent download? Whichever one you've used... try the other. ^_^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shred
    edited August 2008
    ive tryed both and they r both that way for me 2 times on each one
  • ryuuzaki
    edited August 2008
    Hmmm - well if you search the forums, a couple of people have put up direct download mirrors. You can give those a try and see if it gives you any better results.

What decompression tool are you using? WinZip, WinRAR, 7Zip?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnkiller
    johnkiller Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Oh NO bad zip! :eek:

I got the same message when I tried to unzip the file directly. However, I double clicked on the ZIP file to open it, selected all the files, copied them, and then pasted them to another folder. For some reason, that worked fine. Hope this helps. :cool:

]<iller
  • blz142
    blz142 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Killer is right on!

I was having problems getting the client to extract on Vista.

COPY ALL FILES TO THE FILE CREATED BY THE EXTRACTION AND THE FILES WILL EXTRACT AUTOMATICALLY.

Afer that just install with the install.exe file.

The difference will be the zipped files will have no icons and the unzipped files after you copy them have the girl head with wing ears on the install files.
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I have a much better idea:

Don't use windows' built-in zip extractor, it sucked, sucks and will continue to suck.
    Use 7zip (free) or WinRAR (shareware)
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shred
    edited August 2008
    fixen to try agean and i use winrar so we shall see if it works this time
  • shred
    edited August 2008
    nope still dont work and ive done everthing yall have sead but copy the files which i cant it wont let me due to them being messed up
  • shred
    edited August 2008
    oh well i give up ill try another game
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    If it still says the files are corrupted after downloading with torrent, then it means it's your PC that is at fault.
    Torrent downloads never give corrupted files simply because every downloaded part gets checked with a unique checksum.

Try force re-checking your .zip file in the torrent client, then use 7zip for extraction.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kammie
    kammie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    soukyuu wrote: »
    If it still says the files are corrupted after downloading with torrent, then it means it's your PC that is at fault.
    Torrent downloads never give corrupted files simply because every downloaded part gets checked with a unique checksum.

Try force re-checking your .zip file in the torrent client, then use 7zip for extraction.

now here is the best advice ever, awesome trick and I use it every time too if it is needed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xylent
    xylent Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    The zip file isnt broken your download was probably and most likely corrupted. I got the zip working just fine.

The windows default zip utility is horrible for many reasons I'm not going to even get into. 7zip is much much faster in terms of unzipping and also giving you more options of what to do with the zip file (rar, or any compressed format support - lots).

Yeah you can try reinforcing using the torrent to make sure.
  • xii
    xii Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    i just had your issue shred...did you use WinRAR? and get the error message like "unknown format or corrupt files"?

if so, its actually a WinRAR issue i think because i just installed 7zip and it extracted the perfect world international.zip perfectly. hope this solves your problem!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I find it odd that you're the only one with this problem. If you can't troubleshoot something so elementary I can't say I'll miss you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • auspower
    auspower Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    download WinZip and extract with that
    most other zipping files dont work
    so if you still want to play WinZip is the way
    to go, btw that also happened to me
  • wolfy142
    wolfy142 Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    lol idiots, the website allready has a torrent, i downloaded it fast from there and extracted with winrar, 7zip and winzip are all the same
    it is the direct download (that actually is a torrent)
  • nokki
    nokki Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I had the same problem, i instaled WinRaR 3,71 after that and it worked fine, could be some old WinRaR problems. Try the last one WinRaR 3,71
  • jacktheriper
    jacktheriper Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    it should work with every rar arhive because i use 3.6.1 pro and it worked fine
  • shred
    edited August 2008
    ren wrote: »
    I find it odd that you're the only one with this problem. If you can't troubleshoot something so elementary I can't say I'll miss you.

hmmm really well to bad i could care less i see a lot of ppl having the same problem as me it just turns out that if u dont have the l8est winRAR or 7zip the files WILL NOT AND CAN NOT be unziped as it came down to the files r not suported by older zip programs which is a bad call in my eyes and not all ppl r computer geeks like yourself
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    auspower wrote: »
    download WinZip and extract with that
    most other zipping files dont work
    so if you still want to play WinZip is the way
    to go, btw that also happened to me

winzip is ****, 7zip is the best, winrar is ok.
    As for old versions not working, things compressed with a new version of winzip/winrar etc generally aren't backwards compatible.
    shred wrote: »
    hmmm really well to bad i could care less i see a lot of ppl having the same problem as me it just turns out that if u dont have the l8est winRAR or 7zip the files WILL NOT AND CAN NOT be unziped as it came down to the files r not suported by older zip programs which is a bad call in my eyes and not all ppl r computer geeks like yourself
    Well, smarty, I used the latest winrar and it worked fine.
    Did you even check the crc of the zip? It probably got corrupted during the download if the latest winrar won't work. That's why torrent is better than http, every mb or so piece is hashed and if it fails the check the client dumps the piece.

Also, learn to spell before posting again. I like the forums being nice and clean. Everyone else does too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • shred
    edited August 2008
    Well, smarty, I used the latest winrar and it worked fine. i guess u cant read then like i sead if U DO NOT HAVE THE LATEST IT WILL NOT WORK mine was about 2 updates behind but hey i thought i was posting in the suport forms not the flame forms i posted here to get help with a problem not to have some someone try to act all bad behind a keybord thinking they know everything like i sead not everyone thinks about stuff like that all u needed to post from the start was try this or try that not the **** that u did
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Well excuse me for skimming posts with bad grammar/punctuation/structure more than I do to posts that don't have it.

Needless to say I didn't read your last wall of text of a run-on sentence...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuuzaki
    edited August 2008
    Alright, alright... let's not descend into flames. ;)

Glad you managed to get through it, shred. As you've probably seen; you're definitely not alone with this issue. An up-to-date extraction program seems to be the most common (and easiest) solution. :)

See you in beta!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Now, now kids. Behave please :D
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
This discussion has been closed.