Game Client Question (Playing MY PW & Int-PW)

hexeter
hexeter Posts: 21 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Support Desk
I'm sure that there are many people playing existing versions of PW such as myself. I'm using the Malaysian version at the moment but for the sake of superior translations of the game text I am gearing up to try the International Beta on the 19th.

My Question is thus:
When the Game Client install comes up, would there be any issue with me electing to install it to a different directory so as to keep both my Game Clients?

I'm hoping that the Games Developers have considered the likelihood of people in my situation but if there are any Official comments on this subject I'd love to hear them!
Post edited by hexeter on

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    PWE (these guys here) don't support or recommend any other clients published by other companies or private server groups.

For this client, it would be highly recommended only having one version installed.

Otherwise, you could wind up with a whole bunch of problems with installation, getting in game, etc. because you'll have registry file cross referencing each other, and they will be two totally different games and data needing to be accessed.

It would be like installing Battlefield 2 US, and then installing Battlefield 2 EU. The game MAY work ok, but it may not, as some files would get over written and registry files overwritten once you installed the other version.

Hope that helps some.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • hexeter
    edited August 2008
    Ugh...hehe Well it helps to make me more nervous about installing the new Client when it DLs... maybe I will wait til more folks have it down and running to see if it's going to be a big issue or not. Thanks =)
  • ryuuzaki
    ryuuzaki Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    The default installation path of PWI should be unique. Any registry keys created should be that way also. I don't forsee any issues with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthpanda16
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, "should" being the key word. ;)
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • gin
    gin Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Of course just had to download the client before reading in the forums.. Well, lesson learned. I lost the PW MY-EN client, and now I have to redownload the whole thing, and reinstall it only to end up losing PWE..
    I really wanted to ty this version as I can fnally play with the best settings, but there's no way I'll just leave the character I've been working on for seven months..

Will it work fine if I make two different users on my PC and have PW MY-EN on one user, and PWE on the other?
  • hexeter
    edited August 2008
    Well there's one mark in the "You can't run both Clients" column...that really sucks but I am in the same dilemma as gin...I am not very inclined to give up my PW-MY to start anew just because it's in North America...that and a better translation are not nearly enough to convince me to want to play PWI.
  • ryuuzaki
    ryuuzaki Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    gin wrote: »
    Of course just had to download the client before reading in the forums.. Well, lesson learned. I lost the PW MY-EN client, and now I have to redownload the whole thing, and reinstall it only to end up losing PWE..
    I really wanted to ty this version as I can fnally play with the best settings, but there's no way I'll just leave the character I've been working on for seven months..

Will it work fine if I make two different users on my PC and have PW MY-EN on one user, and PWE on the other?

When you say you lost the other client... did you overwrite it? PWI installs by default to C:\Program Files\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International\ - are you choosing a different directory for PWI and for PW MY-EN? If you try and install both to the exact same location, then yes, you will have problems.

Installing via different user accounts won't make any difference... it's the folder that you choose to install it to that will. If Bob installs to C:\Folder\ on his account, and Jane installs to C:\Folder on her account.. she will overwrite Bob.
    hexeter wrote: »
    Well there's one mark in the "You can't run both Clients" column...that really sucks but I am in the same dilemma as gin...I am not very inclined to give up my PW-MY to start anew just because it's in North America...that and a better translation are not nearly enough to convince me to want to play PWI.

How about vastly superior customer service and a friendlier community? ^_^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthpanda16
    edited August 2008
    Not only does it have a nicer and more helpful community and diligent and friendly customer service, but this version is actually being released and maintained by the original developers based in China who created Perfect World I&II and are releasing PWI through their American branch Perfect World Entertainment Inc. (www.pwrd.com) (Man, that whole sentence had a ton of grammar errors. Anyways...)

This version is not a licensed out version, or a private server version (scammers, illegal) with mass farming and scamming issues going on.

This is the official real deal :D
  • gin
    gin Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ryuuzaki wrote: »
    When you say you lost the other client... did you overwrite it? PWI installs by default to C:\Program Files\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International\ - are you choosing a different directory for PWI and for PW MY-EN? If you try and install both to the exact same location, then yes, you will have problems.

Installing via different user accounts won't make any difference... it's the folder that you choose to install it to that will. If Bob installs to C:\Folder\ on his account, and Jane installs to C:\Folder on her account.. she will overwrite Bob.

I'm redownloading the MY-EN version now. I'll see if my brain manages not to overwrite this time =P Thanks!

And a friendlier community? Maybe a little now that non-PKers and PKers won't be mixed together. But there'll always be some **** around. Also, I got some really good friends in PW MY-EN (some of them will be blocked from PWE), and again: my character that I've been playing on so much... =(
    So I wanna play both =D

EDIT: Got both PWE and PW MY-EN working just fine now =D I didn't overwrite it. I just looked extra hard in the tonnes of PW files I had (didn't manage to find it through searching for some reason, but then again.. I'm still noob with computers) and then I finally found it and made a new shortcut =D
  • lunahime
    lunahime Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    can someone tell how cani install pw to my computer?
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    PW doesn't even use the registry much, I could use the MY client I installed from XP from Vista, though the game settings might be registry based.
    PS registry should stop existing. Linux at least doesn't have that sort of BS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • shadowvzs87
    shadowvzs87 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ryuuzaki wrote: »

i have 3 pw directory for 2 pirate server client and my, i dont have problem :P only must install pw to different location and u can play if u want on my or on int
This discussion has been closed.