So what are your thoughts on PKing?

anjali
anjali Posts: 3 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
Hello everyone!

I've been reading all of these threads on PK penalties, and I'm getting a little nervous about them. I'm also learning that maybe not a lot of people condone PKing?

I'm coming to this game from a different MMO that is heavily into PvP and PK. At first I didn't like it, but now I'm greeting guild members with a friendly PK poke (it's fun!). There were penalties, like being sent to jail and losing honor points, but nothing terrible like losing loot.

So what I want to know is, what are other people's feelings on PK and PvP? How are you going to treat this game's implementations of PK punishments?
Post edited by anjali on

Comments

• wimpknuckles
    wimpknuckles Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I just hope I won't bump on any <insert swearword> that's 10 times my lvl that will attack me while I'm questing...and corps-camp me then
    That stuff really puts me off tbh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.
    When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.
  • massamune
    massamune Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Overall the penalties in PW for PK are pretty mild compared to a lot of mmos. Unless you intend to be permanently red named I'd say don't worry.

Basically there's three kinds of pkers I've encountered:

1. Permared gankers that target noobs, thinking 1 shotting someone 40 levels lower is entertainment.

2. People that actively engage in GvG motivated PK, attacking rival guilds repeatedly or defending from same. They're red about as much as #1 but at least have some motivating force and rules for it (they *generally* don't kill every noob they see, though noob lvls in a KOS guild are fair game.)

3. People that occasionally PK, usually with reason like against a KSer, a rude individual, or someone stealing mines out from under their feet. This type occasionally indulges in some random PK, a spree if you will, but isn't like #1.

Now I realize these are generalizations, kind of profiling if you will, and there's a lot of grey area in between of course. If you're higher level with nice gear then you have a couple options, carry dolls, or put your nice stuff away and use npc leet, and/or death protected (or soulbound if we ever get that addition) gear for PK.

It sounds like you roughly fall into #2 of my lil list there, or at least would find that role appealing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, as it's more or less consensual pvp (there's ways to get out of most GvG KOS situations, though some are a bit drastic, for those that aren't into it.) It's the people that derive some shallow pleasure from ganking nobodies while they grind or that are very low level that the rest of us generally look down on.

Be thankful there's no jail, no xp loss, no sp loss, no poison effect, and you can still use npcs normally (even teleporters.)
  • xaire
    xaire Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I just hope I won't bump on any <insert swearword> that's 10 times my lvl that will attack me while I'm questing...and corps-camp me then
    That stuff really puts me off tbh.

Yeah, gotta hate being ganked on a pvp server, god forbid it :{
  • orz
    orz Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    So PW has paperdoll?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old school gamer, In PW for beta testing.
    Webmaster of Aionglobal.com
  • anjali
    anjali Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    hmm, I would put myself more in the #3 category. I try not to PK against people who would hold grudges, and my guild was too nice to be on anyone's KoS list. I just PK friends, bots, and KSers.
  • t0yo
    t0yo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Pking is good ;D
  • polydeuces
    polydeuces Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Here's an essay I wrote about why PK is better than PvE,
  • jamsan
    jamsan Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I love it when I get ganked by someone way too powerful to fight. It brings an element of fear into ordinary and frankly boring PvE. I have to be constantly on the look out, checking my surroundings, moving stealthily and distrusting of random people I come across. When surprised, or caught off guard, the fight turns into a cat and mouse game. I try disparately to get away, using my speed buffs and defensive skills and sometimes I escape. Whenever I make it back to a safe zone, I step timidly outside, checking my minimap on the way back to the quest mobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Surprise Bear says: "Look for the prize with every surprise!"
    Approximately 13% of all forum pages mention RQ, as confirmed by Google.
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    jamsan wrote: »
    moving stealthily and distrusting of random people I come across.

That gets old. Seriously. It kills the social aspect of the game, and it turns the grind into even more work.
  • wimpknuckles
    edited August 2008
    Well, if you really don't lose ''anything'' for being killed, I guess it's bearable...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • danubus37
    danubus37 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I like pvp when I was playing BGs or Arena in WoW, but mindless ganking to me is just boring. Some folks will love it, but its not for me. I can understand the appeal to it, but its something Id rather do once in awhile rather than the norm.
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    Well, if you really don't lose ''anything'' for being killed, I guess it's bearable...

If it's occasional you're more or less correct. If it's frequent you start losing $$ in hiero, miji, etc. That's when it gets annoying.
  • wimpknuckles
    edited August 2008
    massamune wrote: »
    If it's occasional you're more or less correct. If it's frequent you start losing $$ in hiero, miji, etc. That's when it gets annoying.
    Yeah, that really cuts off -.-

Also, the players who scream ''leave us alone! You're way higher level so it's not fair!''
    ....50 to 60% chance they'll be the future ''gankers''. Seriously, I've seen it happen many times before. And most of the time this is their defense when I ask them why they're doing this now...

''It's our revenge, dude lmao''
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • t0yo
    edited August 2008
    polydeuces wrote: »
    Here's an essay I wrote about why PK is better than PvE,

Hahahahaha. >_>
    You're lucky you're cool <_<

XDDDD
  • xylent
    xylent Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, that really cuts off -.-

Also, the players who scream ''leave us alone! You're way higher level so it's not fair!''
    ....50 to 60% chance they'll be the future ''gankers''. Seriously, I've seen it happen many times before. And most of the time this is their defense when I ask them why they're doing this now...

''It's our revenge, dude lmao''

Thats hardly revenge as it isnt the person who killed them they are ganking. That is just plain stupidity on their part.

I think PvP and PKing is an important part of this game but it can only be attain in its fullest potential for entertainment when you have the extra money to spend on a lot of cash shop pvp accessories namely heirograms, dolls, and whatever they choose to sell that can help in PvP.

Also, there is no fun in PK someone who goes down in a few hits that is almost no different from grinding on mobs 20 lvls below you. A good PK is the one who can kill another player that is several levels above them not the one that is ganking the lowbies who are trying to level up so they can compete.
  • xaire
    xaire Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    xylent wrote: »
    Thats hardly revenge as it isnt the person who killed them they are ganking. That is just plain stupidity on their part.

I think PvP and PKing is an important part of this game but it can only be attain in its fullest potential for entertainment when you have the extra money to spend on a lot of cash shop pvp accessories namely heirograms, dolls, and whatever they choose to sell that can help in PvP.

Also, there is no fun in PK someone who goes down in a few hits that is almost no different from grinding on mobs 20 lvls below you. A good PK is the one who can kill another player that is several levels above them not the one that is ganking the lowbies who are trying to level up so they can compete.

The best pks are when you kill someone and they whisper you abuse and call you bad names.
    So you take a couple of friends and continue to do so for the lols.
  • t0yo
    edited August 2008

Agree but then again its just a game there is no skill invovled. The only thing that takes priority to entertainment for me now is the sheer fact of having to educate people the forceful way
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    xaire wrote: »
    Yeah, gotta hate being ganked on a pvp server{

It's bound to happen on a PvP server. But then, those are quickly dispatched of.

A yell on world chat with the position of the gankers will quickly attract the PKKers.

The only time you may have trouble will be if your faction is KOS by a much stronger faction.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • xylent
    edited August 2008
    t0yo wrote: »
    Agree but then again its just a game there is no skill invovled. The only thing that takes priority to entertainment for me now is the sheer fact of having to educate people the forceful way

I can't say I blame you. I find a lot of people who play MMOs to be really unbearable - especially the ones selling gold, begging for money, or constantly following me around. However, ganking a random lowbie for the sheer fun of it, that I don't find fun. I would rather go follow and PK someone my level because they are either being an idiot, in my way, or botting/afk lvling (summoner classes) in the open.

The PvP and PK component isnt at all bad, if you aren't a red named ganker you wont lose anything that you can't get back in a few minutes but the part that the game has made it that you require to spend money on items in order to compete in PvP on fair grounds is the only drawback I see - especially if you plan to Pvp/pk often.
  • kelansan
    kelansan Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    EVERYONE MUST DIE

except for me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    The PvP and PK component isnt at all bad, if you aren't a red named ganker you wont lose anything that you can't get back in a few minutes

Think again. Pink players lost their cash shop aerocrafts a few times on the MY-EN servers.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • xylent
    edited August 2008
    karmelia wrote: »
    Think again. Pink players lost their cash shop aerocrafts a few times on the MY-EN servers.

and that is why I also said after that... or was it before... that in order to get the most out of the pvp experience, you have to use the cash shop and buy all sorts of stuff - in that case you have to buy one of those things that make the item undroppable. If you don't plan to spend too much on these pvp-extras from the cash shop then it is probably a good idea to go for no open pvp and pk, otherwise if you are prepared to spend money to a better pvp experience then by all means nobody will stop you.
  • t0yo
    edited August 2008
    kelansan wrote: »
    EVERYONE MUST DIE

except for me

So says LasagnaMan. In you we trust *bows and prays for mercy* ;D
  • kelansan
    kelansan Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    So says LasagnaMan. In you we trust *bows and prays for mercy* ;D

Hey, that's a really freaking good Lasagna. It'll grow some hair on you chest!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deltek
    deltek Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    hope no1 picks on the real low levels, if they do , this will start a tradition of griefing that will never stop

just like in WoW

lol
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    deltek wrote: »
    hope no1 picks on the real low levels, if they do , this will start a tradition of griefing that will never stop

PvP start at level 30 on the PvP server. Under that you are safe.

• wimpknuckles
    edited August 2008
    I presume you can only pay with dollars? That's really crappy for us Europeans...I would've at least given 5 Euro's for the frost wings =o

You can't have it all...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • t0yo
    edited August 2008
    kelansan wrote: »
    Hey, that's a really freaking good Lasagna. It'll grow some hair on you chest!

Does it grow it anywhere else :P
  • xylent
    edited August 2008
    Gankers will (not naming names) will still be picking on lower levels either way. I have not seen the severaty of the so called ganking in this game but in other open PvP games I haven't really seen much hostility between players except of course for the KOS lists which I have been on before thanks to some idiots in my guild. From example, 2Moons and Rohan both had open pvp but you are not likely to get ganked unless you are really flaunting yourself at someone.

---
    why wont it grow anywhere else. xP (face... of course its called a beard)
  • troll
    troll Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Does it grow it anywhere else :P

oh i see how it is!

soon as my back is turned you're away flirting with others :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.