What is the difference between East and West servers?

Options
koz
koz Posts: 465 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
Are they exactly the same besides the pvp/pve aspect and those are just the names of the servers? Or are they in different locations for minimized lag? Or are the servers in the same location but have different times for the server clock (EST and PST, for example).

~ciao
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by koz on

Comments

• tofu
    tofu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    koz wrote: »
    Are they exactly the same besides the pvp/pve aspect and those are just the names of the servers? Or are they in different locations for minimized lag? Or are the servers in the same location but have different times for the server clock (EST and PST, for example).

~ciao

thats what i think :/ and i think its a lame idea :(
    ahh dont ban me :(
  • koz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Let's hope for an answer from an admin soon :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The IPs are identical - all servers are in the same location. The differences between East and West are the times for various events, and war.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • robbieac
    robbieac Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    and what is better when i live in Germany? East or west?
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    tofu wrote: »
    thats what i think :/ and i think its a lame idea :(
    ahh dont ban me :(

It's worse than lame. It's going to destroy the community and the economy with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • xylent
    xylent Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    robbieac wrote: »
    and what is better when i live in Germany? East or west?

We think it won't matter because both sets might be in California eitherway. What we think might differ is the time for events and that also depends on when they schedule it - that we do not know yet. As far as I can tell, scheduling events between the East coast and Central to east Europe can be hard xP - but that depends on how long you play and what times, like some people play past midnight.
  • arkaria
    arkaria Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    So anyone have any idea what server NJ should go to :confused:

I'm usually on from late afternoon to 1am or so. So what times would the TWs and stuff be taking place? I would assume east would be good for me but not entirely sure. Any help?
  • koz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    We still don't know what the differences are >.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • polydeuces
    polydeuces Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ren wrote: »
    It's worse than lame. It's going to destroy the community and the economy with it.

What community and economy? You do realize that the game hasn't even started yet correct? There's no economy or a community to destroy, the only people you can consider a "community" are those who are moving from the malaysian servers but that doesn't even count, because it's an entirely different game. The "community" will still stay the same as a whole, but those playing together will be on certain servers, which is how it is in all games. Quit with the complaining, all of you. It's much better to have it localized like this, because if it were just one server, people would be complaining about all the lag, or PvP, or the fact that they can't participate in certain events.

Seriously, people complain about anything when it comes to online games.

EDIT: Since this is an International game, I'm guessing all of the U.S. would be considered western, since we're on the Western Hemisphere, although I'm just speaking out of my **** here. Sounds plausible to me though
  • kelansan
    kelansan Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I think the difference between east and west is that the east server is going to be the busiest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • furies
    furies Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options

I totally agree about the community part. The original idea was that most of this community was going to the PVP server. The simple answer is this: the less servers there are, the more populated the servers are, and the more social interaction/guilding/economy/money making goes on. All of which are good for Perfect World
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    furies wrote: »
    I totally agree about the community part. The original idea was that most of this community was going to the PVP server. The simple answer is this: the less servers there are, the more populated the servers are, and the more social interaction/guilding/economy/money making goes on. All of which are good for Perfect World

Everyone is basing all of these assumptions on one basic principal:
    That the amount of people playing Perfect World International will be proportional to the number of people who played on PW-MY.

This will certainly not be the case. We are gamers too, we know that it sucks to have empty servers. That being said, we wouldn't be opening four servers unless we had a good reason to. ;)

Now regarding the difference between East and West. Timed events will be different depending on the server's timezone. Other than that, if you live on the East Coast then the East Coast servers will be optimized to provide you with maximum performance, same goes for West. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • saosinner
    saosinner Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Carebear server plx D:!
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    furies wrote: »
    The simple answer is this: the less servers there are, the more populated the servers are, and the more social interaction/guilding/economy/money making goes on. All of which are good for Perfect World

The even simpler answer is : They expect a lot of people to come to this game over time, so they choose to not have overcrowded server before having to open new ones.

And for the record ; Philippines is having 4 servers too, and they have an IP block preventing anyone from outside of their country to play there.

Here we are having 3 servers, and they have to cater for a lot more potential players that Philippines can ever hope to have.

And beside that, I'm pretty sure they had some studies made to decide how many servers to open. They certainly not thrown a dice for that...
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • koz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    karmelia wrote: »
    The even simpler answer is : They expect a lot of people to come to this game over time, so they choose to not have overcrowded server before having to open new ones.

And for the record ; Philippines is having 4 servers too, and they have an IP block preventing anyone from outside of their country to play there.

Here we are having 4 servers, and they have to cater for a lot more potential players that Philippines can ever hope to have.

And beside that, I'm pretty sure they had some studies made to decide how many servers to open. They certainly not thrown a dice for that...

Uh... PH only has 3 servers: Dragon, Tiger, and Serpent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Uh... PH only has 3 servers: Dragon, Tiger, and Serpent.

Edited ^_^
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • severan
    severan Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    xarfox wrote: »
    That the amount of people playing Perfect World International will be proportional to the number of people who played on PW-MY.

This will certainly not be the case. We are gamers too, we know that it sucks to have empty servers. That being said, we wouldn't be opening four servers unless we had a good reason to. ;)

Now regarding the difference between East and West. Timed events will be different depending on the server's timezone. Other than that, if you live on the East Coast then the East Coast servers will be optimized to provide you with maximum performance, same goes for West. ;)
    well if you have a good ISP, you can play on the east coast server while living in the west coast and still get "that" same performance.
    As xarfox stated, the major difference will be the server and event times.
    and thanks, that was definitely needed

in other words, I'm gonna pretend I'm a noob and push all my knowledge about this "East and west" into the ignorance corner and just play on a server to which my guild's gonna go ^^
    Sever: Lost City
    Making players RageQuit since 2004

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello, You have reached Severan on The RQ carebear's automated phone system
    To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    polydeuces wrote: »
    What community and economy? You do realize that the game hasn't even started yet correct?

I've played enough official and private servers of various games to know economy. An official server could almost never get a terrible economy as seen on pservers, but RF really screwed up splitting its servers too much and I don't want to see that kind of BS happen here.

If the gms plan to start actively enlightening the tasteless carebears playing that piece of **** WoW so they flock here, then 4 servers may be justified, otherwise I seriously doubt it's worth splitting the community.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • polydeuces
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I've played enough official and private servers of various games to know economy. An official server could almost never get a terrible economy as seen on pservers, but RF really screwed up splitting its servers too much and I don't want to see that kind of BS happen here.

If the gms plan to start actively enlightening the tasteless carebears playing that piece of **** WoW so they flock here, then 4 servers may be justified, otherwise I seriously doubt it's worth splitting the community.

Dude, you Malaysian players aren't the only ones playing this, do you understand that? This isn't Perfect World Malaysia, this is Perfect World International. We're going on a clean wipe here, community and all. Since YOU ALL aren't the only ones coming to play this, we NEED more servers to prevent overcrowding and massive lag.

All you do is whine about "they're gonna ruin the community!" and "they're going to ruin the economy!" but all you really want them to do is to cater to your own interests, not catering to what will be better for the game as a whole. Also don't bring up the comparison to private servers here, we have 4 servers meant to cater everyone who doesn't have their own PW version of their own. If, like someone mentioned before, the Philippines could hold 3 servers of their own, I'm sure we'll have no problem completely filling up 4 servers. Cry more pubbie.
  • koz
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Dude, you Malaysian players aren't the only ones playing this, do you understand that? This isn't Perfect World Malaysia, this is Perfect World International. We're going on a clean wipe here, community and all. Since YOU ALL aren't the only ones coming to play this, we NEED more servers to prevent overcrowding and massive lag.

All you do is whine about "they're gonna ruin the community!" and "they're going to ruin the economy!" but all you really want them to do is to cater to your own interests, not catering to what will be better for the game as a whole. Also don't bring up the comparison to private servers here, we have 4 servers meant to cater everyone who doesn't have their own PW version of their own. If, like someone mentioned before, the Philippines could hold 3 servers of their own, I'm sure we'll have no problem completely filling up 4 servers. Cry more pubbie.

Unfortunately, he isn't malaysian.

But +1 for you anyways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • furanne
    furanne Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options

I've read all these posts, and I think you are totally right.:)
  • polydeuces
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Unfortunately, he isn't malaysian.

But +1 for you anyways.

By Malaysian players I meant those who played PW-Malaysia, but thanks for the support, I'm glad someone understands :)
  • xkwisite
    xkwisite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I doubt there will be any trouble at all getting enough people for 4 servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambie
    ambie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Also one server will have me and the other one wont. D:
    *becomes a gnome and flies out the window*
  • polydeuces
    edited August 2008
    Options
    To be completely honest everyone should just go to whatever server they want to try during Closed Beta instead of focusing on rushing East PVP. The character's are getting wiped anyway, so you might as well have a feel for all the servers, figure out who you like the most and then stick with it when Open Beta comes out.

Ok the only reason I'm posting is to test out this masterpiece of a signature
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    *creams self after seeing polywhatshisnames' siggy*

I completely agree with the servers but I do feel the East server might be a bit overcrowded cos everyone in europe/uk/africa/etc should be there for the event times.
    Still USA players should be euqual or more than the EU players so both sides shouldnt have a problem getting enough players.

The only concern i have is that everyone and his dog seems convinced the pvp servers is better and will have 100:1 players compared to pve. If that becoms reality it might be best to adopt the 3 server idea with 2xpvp and 1xpve. I'm sure management isnt stupid and would already know this anyways .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Options
    lipe124 wrote: »
    The only concern i have is that everyone and his dog seems convinced the pvp servers is better and will have 100:1

Everyone and his dog is mostly RageQuit members.

• hilst
    hilst Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Just checking really, but as I'm in the United Kingdom it sounds like I'd be geographically closest to the East Server and should expect better performance there.
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Options
    hilst wrote: »
    Just checking really, but as I'm in the United Kingdom it sounds like I'd be geographically closest to the East Server and should expect better performance there.

Since all 4 servers are located in California... I would say geography don't matter much.

• furies
    furies Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    xarfox wrote: »

Huzzah for responsive admins!

I see the logic in the timezone differences. I played Silkroad Online forever and this was one of the problems, most of the events were at strange times during the day, and mainly during times I could not comply to: school still comes first -_-.