Torrent Safety (utorrent warning)

massamune
massamune Posts: 395 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
Okay so I'm halfway through the torrent download and I check my peers list and what do I see? About 60 or so utorrent users that haven't updated past the compromised version yet.

According to this site there has been a potentially dangerous vulnerability found:
http://torrentfreak.com/critical-vulnerability-discovered-in-utorrent-080812/

This will NOT affect your download of PWI, you do NOT need to cancel your download of it, but you should be extremely wary of downloading anything else until you update to the patched version of utorrent.

The exploit involves scripting the "created by" field in the .torrent file to cause a stack-based buffer overflow, which in short can allow someone to put arbitrary code in the .torrent file and have that run on your computer. It's fairly serious.

Affected version is 1.7.x and earlier of utorrent, and 6.x of bittorrent itself. Upgrading to utorrent 1.8.x will patch your torrent client against this, but bittorrent users are still waiting for a patch to be released.

Just go update your utorrent clients, and if you use bittorrent don't dl anything unofficial til they release a patch, it shouldn't take long for them to do that.
Post edited by massamune on

Comments

• soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Pshh.. that's why i use Azureus.. well, Vuze with classic UI.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kifli
    kifli Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the warning Massa :) I feel safer now after the update XD
    The download speed is terribly low though X_X
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    It'll get better. When I started there were only 3 seeds, now there's 18. I was getting 20 kb/s in the beginning and now it's varying between 100 and 300 kb/s. For such a young torrent it's not bad at all.

Mine's at 90% now, when it's done I'll leave it seeding til at least the 19th.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Tks for the warning Massa.

Updated mine as well.

15 seeds / 211 leeches

Some have not keep seeding after completion.....:mad:

I wish I had a better upload speed....half a gig sent so far.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I cry every time i think of my upload speed. *stares at his tiny 20Kb/s upload"
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    soukyuu wrote: »
    I cry every time i think of my upload speed. *stares at his tiny 20Kb/s upload"

Still better than the leeches that stop upon completion...
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    Wewt, done already.

It's an interesting peer list I'm seeing. Lots of Euros, lots of different countries.

One chinese already, $10 says that's a gold botter or something. -.-

I even see a few other Canadians ^.^

Anyway, seeding at about 70 kb/s. Seems about 10% of people are actually seeding a bit. Seems bizarre to me it's that low, especially for a *legal* torrent like this.
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    massamune wrote: »
    One chinese already, $10 says that's a gold botter or something. -.-

Seeing a Brazilian too. Expect someone to post here saying he is unable to connect to the server next week. ^_^
    Anyway, seeding at about 70 kb/s.

Same speed as me. You must have been that guy on bell.ca that was almost done last time I checked.

• emir
    emir Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    well it is pwi

so all the different countries shouldnt be a surprise right???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    emir wrote: »
    well it is pwi

If I was at all surprised it was pleasantly so at the distribution of IPs, not that that brief segment is really representative of anything.
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    well it is pwi

Not at all.

The surprise will be on these Brazilians and Chineses, when they'll see they are unable to connect to the servers :D

• spelroth
    spelroth Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I'm dling the torrent now too. DL at 120 KB/s up at 21 KB/s only -_- but i will upload as much as i can ;)
    I see countries like:
    Romania, Netherlands, Canada, US, Brazil, Lithuania, UK, Estonia, Finland, France and others ;) this sure will be an international game
  • thablkguy
    thablkguy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    well it is pwi

yes but not all countries will be able to play it. I feel kinda bad for those who won't be able to.
    Who am I ? Thablackguy !!!! :cool:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.