9 More days and still no client

Options
millenium
millenium Posts: 34 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
So we have 9 more days until CB and we still can't download the CB Client. It really worries me since some people have slow connections and need up to a day to download. Not to mention thousands of people will rushing for it together. It worries me we still don't get to download it. Usually when other games have this situation it results in extension until the opening of CB.

I hope its only me and I haven't figured a way to get the client yet.
Millenium, the fallen angel has arrived.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by millenium on

Comments

• ganja
    ganja Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I read xarfox said they are aware of these problem, and client will be available before CB starts.
  • blackmoon
    blackmoon Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Most likely it will be out for us to DL when there's like less then 5 days or so , perhaps 3 days left ^_^
  • ambie
    ambie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    D: I'll have to download it without my father knowing. (I'll use my excuse why WoW is lagging: Because it just doesn't love you)
    *sneaks into the shadows*
  • keico
    keico Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ambie wrote: »
    D: I'll have to download it without my father knowing. (I'll use my excuse why WoW is lagging: Because it just doesn't love you)
    *sneaks into the shadows*

your dad is awesome to be playing WoW XD
  • anima
    anima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    They are doing business, so it will be fine... Anyways, several ports will be appreciated.
    Why...so...serious?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iry
    iry Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yeah, I'm one of less fortunate on a HORRIBLE connection. It seriously (not kidding here) an entire week to download the MY client and I was even lucky they uploaded it in 100 or 200 meg parts to filefront *hint hint* so if my net went down my DL manager would be able to fix the problem.

Client would be very much <3'd soon <.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1perfectworld.com , the best resource for everything Perfect World.
    We got quest guides, cultivation guides, noob guides. If it can be a guide, its there.
    We also got free guild forums :D
    Now with flame forums and trading for CB/OB
  • ranthe
    ranthe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    took me 4 hours to DL the MY-EN client. Are you on dial-up or something?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arcane
    arcane Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    45 mins to dload My-En client
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • iry
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ranthe wrote: »

Nope, evDO.
    Its what cellphones use to download content and such and my service can get 'up to' 1.2mbps/768kbps and 30ish ping but i only see 140kbps/50-70kbps with 300 ping.

Any comments about upgrading will fail also. No DSLAMS in my area so no DSL, Cable companies refuse to build out here even if I offer them the money to actually build to my house (Yet they still say they'll lose money when EVERYONE on the street would switch netting them roughly $4k a month). Fios aint in this part of the state, satellite has their FAPs and high latency.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We got quest guides, cultivation guides, noob guides. If it can be a guide, its there.
  • anima
    edited August 2008
    Options
    iry wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm one of less fortunate on a HORRIBLE connection. It seriously (not kidding here) an entire week to download the MY client and I was even lucky they uploaded it in 100 or 200 meg parts to filefront *hint hint* so if my net went down my DL manager would be able to fix the problem.

Client would be very much <3'd soon <.<

If you are living in the US, can you sue your ISP for this ^^? Seriously, I am using wireless ~40feet away from the router ( has dd-wrt, it helps a lot) and my download from FileFront is still good. Try to use FlashGet, cause it's free, can resume like IDM and others, has good speed and can be used with FileFront (PM me if you dont know how, cause they don't want people overly use it.)
    Why...so...serious?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iry
    edited August 2008
    Options
    anima wrote: »
    If you are living in the US, can you sue your ISP for this ^^? Seriously, I am using wireless ~40feet away from the router ( has dd-wrt, it helps a lot) and my download from FileFront is still good. Try to use FlashGet, cause it's free, can resume like IDM and others, has good speed and can be used with FileFront (PM me if you dont know how, cause they don't want people overly use it.)

Theres a big difference... My router is maybe 10ft away with a wired connection.
    Its my actual internet connection thats the problem. The signal has to travel roughly 4-10 miles to the cell tower thru trees and powerlines. There is alot of interference thus why its such a **** connection.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • super86
    super86 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    A lot of this has to do with his bandwidth and no he can not sue is ISP. All he can do is upgrade his package or change ISP providers as most ISP's state in there TOS that the speeds are "Up to" so and so. Most of the time wireless providers have less bandwidth than your normal DSL/Cable/T1-3 connection.
  • iry
    edited August 2008
    Options
    All he can do is upgrade his package or change ISP providers as most ISP's state in there TOS that the speeds are
    They only offer 2 packages. A limited cap and an unlimited. Both get the same coverage, latency speed etc except for the max bandwith. We have the unlimited which so far IS actually unlimited. Most other providers for this service terminate you at 5 or 10 gigs a month. I've used up to like 70 ^__^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anima
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I am with Comcast, eventhough it is not stable, the speed is much faster than DSL's normal packages like 750kbs o 1.5mbs... I don't get the limit you said above iry, cause they have no right to limit the amount of information you have transfered (down/upload) a month. They just have the right to limit you transfer speed only, the more you pay, the higher you get.
    Anyways, what ISP are you using? I will try my best to avoid it ^^.
    Why...so...serious?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kazuma
    kazuma Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Meh
    ~
    I have a decent internet connection, I'm on wireless. BUT my actual download speed absoloutley sucks, which is worse in this case anyway, because the larger the download...The slower my speed.

However, I CAN do part downloads well, and they help lotsh and lotsh! =]
    !Cheers!

~ Conor
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]If only deathnote was that simple...
  • iry
    edited August 2008
    Options
    cause they have no right to limit the amount of information you have transfered (down/upload) a month.
    They do if its advertised as such. Satellite companies have FAP, comcast has been testing a 250g cap.
    Anyways, what ISP are you using?
    Alltel Axess
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snaptrap
    snaptrap Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Someone's impatient. All you need to know is that the game will be ready in time for people to download and play on the day it launches. You can't play it anyway until then.
  • ketsunfwu
    ketsunfwu Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    iry wrote: »
    Nope, evDO.
    Its what cellphones use to download content and such and my service can get 'up to' 1.2mbps/768kbps and 30ish ping but i only see 140kbps/50-70kbps with 300 ping.

All ISP speed ratings lie. They *always* without-fail tell you the speed in bits/sec instead of bytes/sec. (Easily fools the common folk.)
    So, you're getting acceptable speeds, considering:
    Theoretical maximum download speed: 1.2 megabits/sec = 0.15 megabytes/sec = 153 kilobytes/sec
    Theoretical maximum upload speed: 768 kilobits/sec = 96 kilobytes/sec
    As for the ping, it's usually only to their own servers that you're able to get that value. Everywhere else is higher.

~Nfwu
    ~ 林俊杰 (aka KetsuNfwu)
    Simple sig because my usual is 150px in height. =P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ I speak English + Chinese. 英文和华文是我的双母语。 ]
  • hype
    hype Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    By using a torrent client like bittorrent or azureus everyone could download it at reasonable speed, wouldn't be such a bad idea, there's a couple of other games that's used this tactic and it worked. I downloaded a 400-600mb file like 130-200kb/s on a 2mb broadband. Might not be very fast but at least it works.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    hype wrote: »
    By using a torrent client like bittorrent or azureus everyone could download it at reasonable speed

Maybe not the fastest way, but adavantages are that if the source file is fine, you cannot end up with a bad file, and you can resume it anythime you want. Good solution for those with slower download speed.

Bad point : some ISP limit the speed of torrents, and many people shut off the torrent as soon as they are finished.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • phate
    phate Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    From what I hear they are still translating things and have been having some difficulty do to layoffs and such. They are trying to come in at their budgeted cost before beta starts. They may even have to push back CB start date a week to compensate.
  • anima
    edited August 2008
    Options
    phate wrote: »
    From what I hear they are still translating things and have been having some difficulty do to layoffs and such. They are trying to come in at their budgeted cost before beta starts. They may even have to push back CB start date a week to compensate.

LMAO. Phate, you sound just like my president. Smash you head into tofu please.
    Hope you will be banned on Monday, just like your other accounts.
    Why...so...serious?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'm getting a little worried myself, I really hope by monday it will be avail for donwload, they can always just roll out some patches later to fix last minute things.

The client is about 2.5gb last time i checked, its HUGE it takes AGES.. we really need it avail sooon.. pweese.

And pointless suggestions of getting faster internet isnt even worth mentioning, do you ppl honestly think others have slow internet cos they like it? If it was possible to get fast internet they would have it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • iry
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ketsunfwu wrote: »
    All ISP speed ratings lie. They *always* without-fail tell you the speed in bits/sec instead of bytes/sec. (Easily fools the common folk.)
    So, you're getting acceptable speeds, considering:
    Theoretical maximum download speed: 1.2 megabits/sec = 0.15 megabytes/sec = 153 kilobytes/sec
    Theoretical maximum upload speed: 768 kilobits/sec = 96 kilobytes/sec
    As for the ping, it's usually only to their own servers that you're able to get that value. Everywhere else is higher.

~Nfwu

I know, I gave my speeds in bits/sec before.

As for false advertising, they dont. Multiple people have gotten the max with extremely low ping.
    I am fully aware that this has nothing to do with my ISP but rather the obstacles between me and their tower.
    If I had the money, I'd buy a mini-tower with an omni-directional antenna.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    We're working out some kinks before we begin mass distribution of our client. We will be sure to provide everyone with multiple ways of downloading prior to our launch date. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • millenium
    millenium Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ranthe wrote: »
    Its not MY connection that can't take it. Its the PWI download servers because they're not very likely to have several download ports unless they upload it on other mirrors. 5 thousand players downloading the client in 3 days, their connection will be slow, so will be mine. I download 1G in 20 minutes so it wouldn't be me if its slow.
    Millenium, the fallen angel has arrived.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • severan
    severan Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    my mom plays F.E.A.R. so i should'nt have any problem with downloading the client (luckily, my dad had to move to another country)

only problem is my ISP's unstable connection because of this 2 MBps connection
    Sever: Lost City
    Making players RageQuit since 2004

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello, You have reached Severan on The RQ carebear's automated phone system
    To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • ranthe
    ranthe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    thankfully Xarfox just said there would be multiple download mirrors huh? so that means if there's 8 mirrors (which is a usual number) and 5000 people d/ling it over 3 days, damn, i have to do some math right now.

5000people/3days=1667people per day/8 download mirrors=208 people per day per mirror

take 1 day(24 hours) divide by an average D/L speed (mine) of 4 hours means 6 downloads end to end per day

208/6=approx 35

So with those rough estimates and rounded math, we can say that at any given moment of those three days, 35 people will be downloading the client per mirror. Not that bad if i say so myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xellia
    xellia Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I've got alltel wireless as well, but I also have an antenna mounted on my roof. I can download at pretty quick speeds. 700mb files take approx 2hrs. So the client should only take about a day for me.

I hope they make the download a torrent. Otherwise the FTP servers are gonna be bogged down like mad hell. Torrents would work best as that way we can download from those that are faster then us and the official servers. This will allow us all to maintain a good speed.

Either way we'll get it eventually. I've been looking forward to trying this game.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    xellia wrote: »
    Either way we'll get it eventually. I've been looking forward to trying this game.

Anyway, it won't be a catastrophe if some start playing a couple of days after the opening.

Everybody's going to start from scratch at open beta.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
This discussion has been closed.