Class names....

Comments

• seph
    seph Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    russel wrote: »
    Am I the only one who think the classnames are stupid?
    Why should the warrior be renamed to Blademaster? A WR can carry Axes/Hammers use fists, ti's a dumb name.
    Wizard.... it's fine
    Barbarian... WTF??? What is wrong with the term WereBeast? This game is set in Mythological China. Stop **** the game by trying to rename the classes to Western styled RPG's.
    Same for Venomancer. WTF is a Venomancer anyway?

Please reconsider the classnames.
    The above 3 names I have the most problem with. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks these names makes no sense...

I do agree some classes are named weird, Blademaster can use spears :oooooooo
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    blackmoon wrote: »
    I really don't mind the names , as long as they play the same its all good in my book , and they still play the same so no probs for me~~:)

Actually, they all have new skills. So, no, they don't :p. You get the new skills at level 79, and 100.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    russel wrote: »
    Barbarian... WTF??? What is wrong with the term WereBeast? This game is set in Mythological China. Stop **** the game by trying to rename the classes to Western styled RPG's.
    Same for Venomancer. WTF is a Venomancer anyway?

Please reconsider the classnames.
    The above 3 names I have the most problem with. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks these names makes no sense...
    I agree, and I think they should just use the original names to stay true to the game's roots. It's like fansubbers or american companies butchering aniime translations... it should be as close as possible, or it diminishes the story.

I asked a chinese guy about yao jing/yao shou, and he couldn't give a literal translation of them, they're almost certainly not werebeast/werefox, and definately not barbarian or venomancer. Probably because this game is based off of mythology.
    wu xia would be something like a martial artist, warrior, or knight, though.
    fa shi is wizard/mage.
    [21:01] <~Blackwing> i saw yu mang/ling
    [21:01] <~Blackwing> it's some made up stuffs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • itch
    itch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I have to agree with the Barbarian... its horrible. Plus the game already has mobs called Barbarian.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nuex
    nuex Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I personally like the blademaster class name. I think it's more original then warrior.
  • arcane
    arcane Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ren wrote: »
    I agree, and I think they should just use the original names to stay true to the game's roots. It's like fansubbers or american companies butchering aniime translations... it should be as close as possible, or it diminishes the story.

I asked a chinese guy about yao jing/yao shou, and he couldn't give a literal translation of them, they're almost certainly not werebeast/werefox, and definately not barbarian or venomancer. Probably because this game is based off of mythology.
    wu xia would be something like a martial artist, warrior, or knight, though.
    fa shi is wizard/mage.
    [21:01] <~Blackwing> i saw yu mang/ling
    [21:01] <~Blackwing> it's some made up stuffs

Its a CLASS NAME, who honestly cares xD
    WR or BM it still does the same thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • theola
    theola Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I really like the new names. The only one that bugs me a little bit is the blademaster, but I liked the explanation given earlier. Blades were the traditional weapon of the class, but then they branched out. Fighter or soldier would have been a better choice.

Venomancer is alright... even though it doesn't make too much sense. Enchantress or tamer sounds a bit better.

I don't get all the barbarian hate. I think that's a perfect way to describe the race and class. Untamed men are huge beasts, just one step away from wild animals. They can take massive amounts of punishment, and are probably very gruff and have a short temper. They lack the discipline and finesse of a blademaster, and are more suited to bashing stuff with their natural fighting instincts instead of years of dedicated training. If they were trying to appeal to a western audience, I think it's a good choice.

Taken from the Wikipedia on D&D Barbarians:
    "The barbarian is seen as the archetypal warrior who uses brute strength and raw fury to excel in combat, instead of the honed skills of the Fighter or measured strength of the Monk...The barbarian's typical role within an adventuring party is as a straightforward front-rank tank...In addition, the barbarian has some basic wilderness skills such as listen, and survival that help keep him aware of his surroundings and enable him to survive in a wilderness environment for long periods without supplies..Moreover, if a barbarian adventures alone and encounters magic-wielding foes that he cannot charge and take out personally, he will most likely be defeated."

I think that fits the Untamed men's role in Perfect World very well.

As for the wing elves, I like the new class names. Saying "elf archer" or "elf priest" is a bit redundant, since no other race can have those classes anyway.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    itch wrote: »
    Plus the game already has mobs called Barbarian.

How can you say that without actually having played this version of the game?

The are no "barbarian" monsters on the Philippine's english version.

"Barbarian" was used for some monsters in the engrish malaysian version.

The monsters here will not have the same names as there.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • massamune
    massamune Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I have a terrible feeling that this version is always going to have the feel of a cheap knockoff due to having played in MY-EN so long :/
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    How can you say that without actually having played the game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • june
    june Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    massamune wrote: »
    I have a terrible feeling that this version is always going to have the feel of a cheap knockoff due to having played in MY-EN so long :/

I know what you mean. Having played Perfect World China, where the class names were Wu Xia (wx), Fa Shi (fs), Yao Shou (ys), Yao Jing (yj), Yu Mang (ym), Yu Ling (yl), and being a yl and yj, I kind of felt the translation Werebeast and Werefox in MY-EN were initially lacking, because they're more like spirits/demons.

Example of supposed real life werefox, a.k.a. hulijing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daji

In this case, even using a translated term as werefox, abstracts it from the original mythos. Like imagine instead of calling a kitsune, a kitsune, calling it something else.

However, I grew used to the term Werefox (WF), and am sure I can grow used to calling them Venomancers a.k.a. UV, VM, Veno, etc.
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    Werefox at least made sense. It described the distinguishing property of the class.

Venomancer is just dumb. As I said before, poison =/= venom, and even if it did it's a stretch to describe a tamer/shapeshifter class by the main element of its magic.

Whoever is responsible for these names should be doing some other kind of work, seriously.
  • russel
    russel Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    june wrote: »
    I know what you mean. Having played Perfect World China, where the class names were Wu Xia (wx), Fa Shi (fs), Yao Shou (ys), Yao Jing (yj), Yu Mang (ym), Yu Ling (yl), and being a yl and yj, I kind of felt the translation Werebeast and Werefox in MY-EN were initially lacking, because they're more like spirits/demons.

Example of supposed real life werefox, a.k.a. hulijing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daji

A friend of mine uses the name 妲己....
    I think the Chinese mythology added extra dimension to this game instead of the standard D&D stuff. Now the classes are turned into D&D.....
    Even if it is just a name....
  • rufus
    rufus Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Mage
    Warrior

were good.

Cleric was a great change.

Archer was a great change.

barbarian - no
    venomancer - no

but i can't think of anything better so i can't really judge lol
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    "Venomancer" also gives no consideration at all to the heavy WF builds that don't use the mage side of their skill tree. A class name shouldn't be based on a single build.
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    "Venomancer" also gives no consideration at all to the heavy WF builds that don't use the mage side of their skill tree. A class name shouldn't be based on a single build.

In that case, werefox is not good either. As a pure intel one on MY-EN, I almost never used the fox form.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    Weak argument, you still had the ability to use fox form any time you like, and if you went Dark then you'd have more reason to even as int (at least when traveling.) The transformation is such a low level skill that it could be considered innate to the class, so the term werefox doesn't exclude anyone of the class.

Nice try tho. :)
  • t0yo
    t0yo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Weak argument, you still had the ability to use fox form any time you like, and if you went Dark then you'd have more reason to even as int (at least when traveling.) The transformation is such a low level skill that it could be considered innate to the class, so the term werefox doesn't exclude anyone of the class.

Weak argument because even str wf can use int skills a.k.a then venom/poisons etc.

Names are just that, names
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008

Well, At 89 when you go dark or light, you have maxed all your skill. Nothing prevent you to use any skill you have, no?

And I went light, so no reason to use the fox form either ^_^

Anyway. They choose to demark themselves from the MY version, which is not a bad thing. And remember that in the long run, those who played on MY will be the minority. There would not even be such a discussion if there never was a MY engrish version of the game :p

In fact we are already a minority. On the web site pool, only 23% already played another version of the game. It's just that we are a very vocal minority for now.

• massamune
    edited August 2008
    karmelia wrote: »
    In fact we are already a minority. On the web site pool, only 23% already played another version of the game. It's just that we are a very vocal minority for now.

Nonsense, that poll doesn't mean what you're saying it does. It asks where people heard about the game, so if you can extrapolate anything from it that 23% heard about it on the MY forum (wink) or ingame there. Hearing about it from other sources certainly doesn't mean they didn't play it in MY-EN.
  • t0yo
    edited August 2008
    Mutley's arguing, how entertaining ^____^

No one can really tell whats going to happen regards the MY population on this server. Besides the point it being irrelevant because even people who didn't play MY know most of the names from there

Excuse me for being a total ***** in quoting both of you by saying letting the discussion die. The admins chose it that way so that way its going to stay ;D

Kinda has a sting to it doesn't it, using your own reasoning because you couldn't take the way people debated about things you didn't like. Here I am doing the same thing >_o
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Nonsense, that poll doesn't mean what you're saying it does. It asks where people heard about the game, so if you can extrapolate anything from it that 23% heard about it on the MY forum (wink) or ingame there. Hearing about it from other sources certainly doesn't mean they didn't play it in MY-EN.

True, true, but you must agree that in the long run, there will be more new players than previous players.

Otherwise this version will never survive.

Back on the subject, remember that "werefox" is the name made up for the race by the translators of the MY version, the original chinese name don't mean that as was said earlier. Legally, the translation rights remains to the translator. Borrowing too much from the MY version could put them into trouble. It was safer to find a new word for it.

Other languages versions of the game did their own traduction, to avoid any lawsuits from others too.

For exemple,The brazilian used "witch", and the russians "druids" for the werefox.

• massamune
    edited August 2008
    t0yo wrote: »
    Excuse me for being a total *****

You're excused.

I like a lil argument with Karmelia every now and then. It's all in good fun. If you don't appreciate that, well, pick another topic to read. Since you think the topic has run its course anyway, there's certainly no harm in a lil friendly banter now is there?
    True, true, but you must agree that in the long run, there will be more new players than previous players.

Otherwise this version will never survive.

I'll grant you that much, though the viability of PWI has yet to be proven of course. I'm sure it will do fine though.

The Russian and Brazilian choices are bizarre. On a par with the ones here I think. It astounds me that the only one to aptly describe the class (in English) was Cubinet, whose total incompetence in all other areas of running an mmo wreaked of amateurism.

Do we know what the Brits are calling it? I haven't bothered going there yet (since it sounds like it'll be filled with Turks, and I had my fill of that in Silkroad.)
  • t0yo
    edited August 2008
    You're excused.

I like a lil argument with Karmelia every now and then. It's all in good fun. If you don't appreciate that, well, pick another topic to read. Since you think the topic has run its course anyway, there's certainly no harm in a lil friendly banter now is there?

I'll grant

Oh no don't get me wrong, I just think its hilarious that you complain about bantering between other players yet the bantering you guys make is completely fine. Talk about being hypocritical and dictatorship. You guys are definitely GM-MY material ;D

Same could have been said for the PVP thread and any thread you guys flamed people for people having.

Nobody cares about your bantering. The only thing I'm pointing out here what narcissistic people you are ;D. I can tell why you're both going to the pve server

xxxXXXxxx : ()
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Do we know what the Brits are calling it? I haven't bothered going there yet (since it sounds like it'll be filled with Turks, and I had my fill of that in Silkroad.)

The forums there are not much active so far. They don't have RageQuit members to put flames everywhere like here.

Their forums use the same names used on the MY-EN version. No idea or indication that those will be the definitive ones or if they'll be modified.

• massamune
    edited August 2008
    Hmm... Turks or poor naming... Decisions decisions. :rolleyes:
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Hmm... Turks or poor naming... Decisions decisions. :rolleyes:

They still did not specified which type of server(s) they'll have.

And since RageQuit won't play on the optional PvP server, my choice is easy to make :D

• arcane
    edited August 2008
    They still did not specified which type of server(s) they'll have.

And since RageQuit won't play on the optional PvP server, my choice is easy to make :D

Yes, they have....
    And are we that intimidating?

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=7371
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    arcane wrote: »
    And are we that intimidating?

Intimidating would not be the word I would use :p

• arcane
    edited August 2008
    Intimidating would not be the word I would use :p

in-tim-i-date
    [in-tim-i-deyt]
    verb (used with object), -dat-ed, -dat-ing.
    1. to make timid; fill with fear.
    2. to overawe or cow, as through the force of personality or by superior display of wealth, talent, etc.
    3. to force into or deter from some action by inducing fear: to intimidate a voter into staying away from the polls.

3. sounds about right, no?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
This discussion has been closed.