Class names....

Options
russel
russel Posts: 78 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Am I the only one who think the classnames are stupid?
Why should the warrior be renamed to Blademaster? A WR can carry Axes/Hammers use fists, ti's a dumb name.
Wizard.... it's fine
Barbarian... WTF??? What is wrong with the term WereBeast? This game is set in Mythological China. Stop **** the game by trying to rename the classes to Western styled RPG's.
Same for Venomancer. WTF is a Venomancer anyway?

Please reconsider the classnames.
The above 3 names I have the most problem with. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks these names makes no sense...
Post edited by russel on

Comments

• rena
    rena Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I would disgree with you personally, I dig the names, Especially Venomancer. For me WB/WF always sounded like a race and not a class. Its nice they give the actual classes a name. Also I think Warrior is much more western name then Blademaster so there goes the idea of hating logilization.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=6931
    emberglades.forumotion.net/forum.htm
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Again. They didn't "rename" the classes from the MY version. This version has absolutely nothing to do with it, both companies independently chose english names for the original Chinese names of the game. To continue using Werebeast, Warrior, etc. might cause staff from MY to get pissed about having their translations copied =\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I too dont like the names, but its not a big deal. and there has been a topic about this.

It comes down to either we're just going to stick with the old names or you'll use the new names. Personal choice really cos everything will look the same still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • rena
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I am not sure if anyone know this or not. But which names are a more true translation of the orginal chinese game ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • massamune
    massamune Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    russel wrote: »
    Am I the only one who think the classnames are stupid?
    Why should the warrior be renamed to Blademaster? A WR can carry Axes/Hammers use fists, ti's a dumb name.
    Wizard.... it's fine
    Barbarian... WTF??? What is wrong with the term WereBeast? This game is set in Mythological China. Stop **** the game by trying to rename the classes to Western styled RPG's.
    Same for Venomancer. WTF is a Venomancer anyway?

Please reconsider the classnames.
    The above 3 names I have the most problem with. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks these names makes no sense...

I whole-heartedly agree with you.

If they insisted on being "different" than MY-EN they should have kept to one scheme, either all **** names or all traditional D&D type class names.

Blademaster is the worst, as you and countless others have said they don't have to use anything with a blade. Why the hell call a hammer or fist WR a blademaster?

Fighter would be much better, and inline with wizard and cleric.

Venomancer is just ****, I'm sorry, but it is. It has nothing to do with the class. Granted, in this type of Chinese mmo the wood element is analogous to poison, but it's not the same thing. One wouldn't consider hemlock a venom, a poison sure, but venom comes from higher animals which have nothing to do with wood (e.g. snakes, certain frogs, certain fish.)

As for what to call them? Well, why fix what ain't broke? PWI is the latecomer to the Perfect World scene, most people that play this version will already at least know of the existence of MY-EN and its beloved Werefoxes. It's the quintessential symbol of PW, so what's gained by obscuring it this way?

Barbarian was just plain lazy. It has nothing to do with the class, or its characteristics. I'm not sure if this was an attempt to westernize it, or just a failed attempt at originality. Either way it just doesn't fit. Historically (even fictionally) I've never heard of a barbarian with supernatural shape-shifting powers.

Beastman would be one alternative that Does fit. But again, why change it at all?

My personal opinion is that they should have kept the traditional class names. It's worse than Engrish to have sloppy renaming of everything.
  • lena
    lena Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    rena wrote: »
    I would disgree with you personally, I dig the names, Especially Venomancer. For me WB/WF always sounded like a race and not a class. Its nice they give the actual classes a name. Also I think Warrior is much more western name then Blademaster so there goes the idea of hating logilization.

I couldnt agree with ya more rena...I loves the Venomancer name just makes her sound more smexy hehehe...I prefer the name Blademaster for the WR considering a true Blades master is a master of all blades and that also includes axes and pole arms seeing as in a small way they are a blade still....ok gonna get off before I start going into more details call it the historian in me that comes out and this post would end up being a mile long roflmao and I know not everyone wants to go reading a whole damn history lesson lol but yeah BladeMaster is more fitting

On another note no matter how many times we all comment on whether we like the new names or not the fact remains that the staff have chosen these names and if no one likes it simple build a bridge and get over it no matter how many times you whinge and whine about it nothing is going to change their minds so may as well get use to it and if you cant handle that stick with the version you are playing now
    You Were Never Meant To Arrive In Hell Looking Like A Fashion Plate...Rather To Slide In Backwards..Glass Of Wine In Hand..Hair In Disarray..Totally Exhausted.... Screaming man what a ride !!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'd love for either of you to explain how blademaster is at all fitting for a fist warrior.
  • timioo
    timioo Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I don't think the names are bad really, different but not bad.
    Good thing is that Elf Priest is goingto be Cleric thats what I like. I'll rather be a cleric than priest :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Harvest of Chaos Marshal
    Nalle - 6X Wizard

-Lost City-
  • russel
    russel Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    lena wrote: »
    On another note no matter how many times we all comment on whether we like the new names or not the fact remains that the staff have chosen these names and if no one likes it simple build a bridge and get over it no matter how many times you whinge and whine about it nothing is going to change their minds so may as well get use to it and if you cant handle that stick with the version you are playing now

I'm not whining.
    I just state that the naming isn't what it should be. Don't change the class name simply because you don't want the same name as the MY version. Only rename it when you have a better name. Barbarian and Blade Master clearly is not.
    Besides this game hasn't been released to Closed Beta..... If now isn't the moment to ask/suggest a change of naming when is?
  • lena
    lena Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    There was actually a whole convo about it read it might give you some more insight

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=891
    You Were Never Meant To Arrive In Hell Looking Like A Fashion Plate...Rather To Slide In Backwards..Glass Of Wine In Hand..Hair In Disarray..Totally Exhausted.... Screaming man what a ride !!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I think we should stick with the tried and tested class names

WR = STabbey
    MG = ZAppey
    WF = KiTty
    WB = Fat Kitty
    EP = Fixey
    EA = Snipey
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • rena
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well how do you like that...identical threads. Admin probably should close this one..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    Options
    rena wrote: »
    Well how do you like that...identical threads. Admin probably should close this one..

You mean like they closed the four or five threads about IP blocks?

Oh wait...
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    senovit wrote: »
    Again. They didn't "rename" the classes from the MY version. This version has absolutely nothing to do with it, both companies independently chose english names for the original Chinese names of the game. To continue using Werebeast, Warrior, etc. might cause staff from MY to get pissed about having their translations copied =\

Senovit summarized perfectly my thoughts on the subject.

The names you are referring to were made up by Cubinet for their engrish version of the game. In fact, everything you saw in the MY version was liberal translation more or less badly done for THEIR version of the game.

The english version they play on the Philippines retained the original chinese names for each class (Yao Jing, Wu Xia...). Here they choose the use their own translations. You can also expect the names of places, monsters, spells and everything else you knew from MY-EN to be different too. (as they are different also on the Philippine's english version.)
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • rena
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well not my fault if admins not doing their job <_< Maybe they should find a few moderators just to keep forum nice and clean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Options
    massamune wrote: »
    I'd love for either of you to explain how blademaster is at all fitting for a fist warrior.

Did you noticed that many fist weapons have... blades on them? :p
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Seeing as how the class Blademaster seems to give the impression that warriors should be using blades... I'd hope that Blades would be made better for PvP. Currently, Axes are the best.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    Options
    karmelia wrote: »
    Did you noticed that many fist weapons have... blades on them? :p

Those are edges, different weapon. On the same page as the fists but not the same thing.

Perhaps you think a blademaster that uses a sledge hammer to be less absurd?:D
  • wraithblade999
    wraithblade999 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    i dont give a dam what the class names all i care about is the skill names and quests/monster names ... i know they will be changed and it will make it sorta hard for me to be a blademaster/warrior again (PW-My-Eng lvl 60 WR then quit) so to make it back to lvl 60 is gonna be a hard thing to do cause the quest and monsters will have diff names >.<
    since i cant add a pic cause it keeps saying invalid file/invalid URL i guess i add text im a average player not to hardcore :D
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Options
    massamune wrote: »
    Perhaps you think a blademaster that uses a sledge hammer to be less absurd?:D

As much as I think a plumber should use plumbum (lead) to do it's trade.Altho they don't use this metal anymore, they still kept their old profession's name :p

So let's imagine that at first the profession used blades and then branched out in other directions for more versatility. Do the Marines always fight on water?

*loves to poke at Massa <3*

• desirai
    desirai Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You know what would solve this?

Have each *race* be able to choose different *paths*

Blademaster: the ones who use the blades (sword, axe, etc)
    Knucklemaster: the ones who don't. ;3
  • wraithblade999
    wraithblade999 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    it would be a bit better but i dont think that it will happen XD
    since i cant add a pic cause it keeps saying invalid file/invalid URL i guess i add text im a average player not to hardcore :D
  • tofu
    tofu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    desirai wrote: »
    You know what would solve this?

Have each *race* be able to choose different *paths*

Blademaster: the ones who use the blades (sword, axe, etc)
    Knucklemaster: the ones who don't. ;3

sounds somewhat like m.a.p.l.e.s.t.o.r.y =0
    althought that game sucks ><;;
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    "Blademasters" might not use bladed weapons 100% of the time (hammers, fists, etc.) but the fact that so many edged weapons are actually available to them does make them a master of the blades x:

Fighter probably would have been a better name, yeah. Venomancer was ripped straight from DoTa. Barbarian is just lol though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devotion
    devotion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Its a name... It isnt a game changing decision...
    I like to rub it in. Enjoying the game?
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=1810092&postcount=6
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3518732&postcount=17
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3986762&postcount=6
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Venomancer and Barbarian are completely fail names. I hope they'll reconsider.

I'd rather they just translate the chinese names instead of completely making up a name. Or use the original names.
    I don't think the names would make much sense translated, myself... I can't make much sense out of them with a dictionary and all the chinese I know aren't on right now.
    What's so wrong with using "yao jing" "wu xia" etc?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • mystic
    mystic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ren's right, barbarian doesn't even describe the class. Venomancer kinda does but werefoxes don't look like hydralisks so venomancer should stay in DotA.

A lot of people have already expressed displeasure with the names, but that's how they're going to stay. Move on, and deal with it.

Though I refuse to call them "wizards", "blademasters" and "barbarians." I only call them mages, warriors and werebeasts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Selfish blood runs through my veins. I gave up everything for fame.

Pandora - 8X Mage - Lost City (PvP - The only server worth playing.)
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ren wrote: »
    What's so wrong with using "yao jing" "wu xia" etc?
    Nothing. I would prefer those names myself ( i loved playing a yu ling) but that won't happen.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • koz
    koz Posts: 465 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    There has already been a topic about this.

Final result: The names were westernized for the new player base and will remain the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blackmoon
    blackmoon Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I really don't mind the names , as long as they play the same its all good in my book , and they still play the same so no probs for me~~:)
This discussion has been closed.