The Grind

aznd
aznd Posts: 1 Arc User
edited July 2008 in General Discussion
is the game super grindy or is it comparable to games such as world of warcraft?
Post edited by aznd on

Comments

• merulz
    merulz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    It's Over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect World IRC:
    Server: irc.deltaanime.net
    Channel: #pwint
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    PW != grind
    PW = quests in the lower levels (1 - 40?) + grind + repeatable quests in the upper levels
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hawk
    hawk Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Quoting Xarfox's reply to a similar question:
    xarfox wrote: »
    In terms of EXP and leveling. We definitely are aiming to maintain a delicate balance. We want it to be easy for people to play and advance, but at the same time, achieving max level isn't really an achievement if it's something easy to accomplish. ;)
  • panda
    panda Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I wouldn't call it super grindy, there are a lot of quests that help you level.
  • quiv
    quiv Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    not to mention there are daily quests that you can take which gives you a fair amount of xp so you can still level slowly without doing any grinding..
  • zezix
    zezix Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Eh I wouldn't call this game super grindy. Of course there will be some grind in any game you play as you level up higher and higher, but this game is fairly easy until 60, then it gets a little more tough. But you have the option of either grinding after all your quests, or just do Dragon Quests.

So no, I would not say this game is super grindy.
  • blue
    blue Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I managed a level 86 WR on Oracle over in MY-EN. I never zhenned or the like, though grind does come now and again. At level 25 (or 30, I forget now) you get a daily quest which gives good experience. At level 70 you get an additional daily quest, World Quest. Both are a fairly good and consistent method in which to level. Compared to games like Silk Road Online (drawing one of the worst grind-oriented games I know), the grind is very light.
  • specter
    specter Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I'd compare it to The Matrix Online. You are grinding, but grinding mainly by doing quests (much more interesting than in MxO though, when you only repeat 3-4 identical missions in different buildings...). It takes even more time to get max level, but it isn't that boring - overall, the feeling is similar.
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    The grind starts at about 80. But hey. You can always choose to level off dailies instead and just go on hh / fb runs for money / signets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Depends on your class. Archers don't have to worry about "the grind" too much if they AoE until 70, then butterflies, then fishies to level 90. Venomancers have a huge amount of "the grind", though, because of limited AoE party positions, and vulnerability when trying to kill many monsters at a time...
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • blatstatic
    blatstatic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    merulz wrote: »
    It's Over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That actually made me laugh out loud :p
  • dtz
    dtz Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    What about clerics?
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild.
  • arcane
    arcane Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    dtz wrote: »
    What about clerics?

Every Party Needs One. Nuff Said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • kuailiang
    kuailiang Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    On Oracle, Elven Priests and Werebeasts were in high demand. Things might be similar here. Either way, every class will grind, some more than others. Classes that can AoE have it expensive but faster.
  • massamune
    massamune Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    dtz wrote: »
    What about clerics?

Cleric is actually an excellent class for soloing (grinding, quest/grind, etc), if done right. In the lower levels, pure int with a good weapon and you can kill very quickly, plume quill is an awesome skill with both magic and physical damage (god knows what they'll rename it to in this version, I'm using the MY names til I see new ones) and plume barrier is a short term buff that will keep you alive when outnumbered.
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I've played a fair amount of Free to Play games, and although my position may cause me to be a bit biased, as a gamer I can safely say that Perfect World International is MUCH less of a "grindfest" compared to other games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lena
    lena Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I've played a fair amount of Free to Play games, and although my position may cause me to be a bit biased, as a gamer I can safely say that Perfect World International is MUCH less of a "grindfest" compared to other games.

Same here Ive played a fair amount also From Tibia *yes the archaic game rofl* through to Knights Online *USKO - FrienzKO - MYKO* VCO etc and PW doesnt have as much grinding that other games have and if PWI is going to be a lil less than them then its definintely got to be better than MY-EN ;):D
    You Were Never Meant To Arrive In Hell Looking Like A Fashion Plate...Rather To Slide In Backwards..Glass Of Wine In Hand..Hair In Disarray..Totally Exhausted.... Screaming man what a ride !!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • irrlicht
    irrlicht Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2008

Played quite a few MMOs allready as well, and so far PW-MY doesn't really feel like grinding a lot. So I bet PW Int wont be any worse ;)
    Most of the stuff is said allready anyway: You can gain most of the EXP by doing quests in which you of course have to grind monsters from time to time, but it's not really much compared to other games.
  • bayport
    bayport Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    yeah this game isn't grindy at all

try playing games like last chaos....definition of grind
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bayport - Archer
    Server - PvP East
  • tune
    tune Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    lmao.. THE GRIND *shudder* made me heart really thump o.o
  • wabbitt
    wabbitt Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Its like WOW till about level 60, after which it gets progressively slower.
  • carion
    carion Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    i had a lvl 90 EA on Oracle. From lvl 1-60 seemed really fast. 70-80 took a little bit of time. 80-86 if u want to lvl fast ull dump money into cash shop. if not it will take u a good 3-4 weeks of 6-8 hours a day into grinding to get 6 lvls. From lvl 88-90 it took me 36 hours of AoE partying to get 1 lvl. the worst was getting to lvl 90 took 3 days of AoE party to get lvl 90.
  • specter
    specter Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    wabbitt wrote: »
    Its like WOW till about level 60, after which it gets progressively slower.

Much faster than WoW.
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    What carion said, its pretty fast to get to 60 -the 1st milestone. Then from 60-89 its gets progresively much harder, and 90+ is a nightmare XD At that stage its all about afk zen parties for hours and hours while you watch anime or pronz.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • xauss
    xauss Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    aznd wrote: »
    is the game super grindy?...

level 1-50 "hey - theres no grind!"

level 51-70 "i see the grind! - but hey, its not so bad."

level 71-90 "OMGWTF! if it wasnt for dailies i'd never get anywhere at all!"

level 91+ "I just grinded 44 hours straight only stooping twice to 'potty' (a la Eric Cartman), and killed 27,391,348 mobs.... i now have carpel tunnel, bleeding eye sockets, and have suffered a psychotic break (cocka-doodle-doo, wibblefish-banana).... on the plus side i made 0.1% to my next level."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    xauss wrote: »
    level 1-50 "hey - theres no grind!"

level 51-70 "i see the grind! - but hey, its not so bad."

level 71-90 "OMGWTF! if it wasnt for dailies i'd never get anywhere at all!"

level 91+ "I just grinded 44 hours straight only stooping twice to 'potty' (a la Eric Cartman), and killed 27,391,348 mobs.... i now have carpel tunnel, bleeding eye sockets, and have suffered a psychotic break (cocka-doodle-doo, wibblefish-banana).... on the plus side i made 0.1% to my next level."

1-50: You can gain 50 levels in a week, if you're an average player.
    51-70: Can get this in two weeks if you're an average player due to AoE levelling.
    71-90: If you're a ranged class, you can get a level every 2 days in 7x, and every 4 days in 8x.
    91+: You end up spending 1.5 weeks per level if you AoE.

Lol, xauss, it's not that bad!
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • xauss
    xauss Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    ark wrote: »
    1-50: You can gain 50 levels in a week, if you're an average player.
    51-70: Can get this in two weeks if you're an average player due to AoE levelling.
    71-90: If you're a ranged class, you can get a level every 2 days in 7x, and every 4 days in 8x.
    91+: You end up spending 1.5 weeks per level if you AoE.

1-50 the average new player, playing 2-4 hours a day will probably take 3 weeks - month. experianced players playing 8+ hrs a day can make lvl 50 easily in a week

51-70 the noob player playing 2-4 hours a day wont see 70 till at least 2 or 3 months are up. pros and no-lifers with a good guild of like-minded XP-scroll buying zhen addicts can make 1-70 in 2 weeks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.