About NPC names

Options
soukyuu
soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Chronicles
Just curious.
PW-PH's translations had NPC names in transcripted chinese (pinyin)
PW-MY-EN's translation had replaced all NPC names with english ones

What is PW-Intl's approach?
My opinion: when telling a chinese tale, the names of the persons are to be kept chinese :p
Your thoughts?
PW has been endless frustration for me #2
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by soukyuu on

Comments

• c3nzor3d
    c3nzor3d Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    so what you're saying is that you like to choke yourself with your tongue while trying to spell the name? If that's the case then good luck at it :D

Npc naming isn't a problem..at least for me..don't know if alot of people even care about names from other versions, NPC ones that is, hopeing they keep the mob ones. All in all I think it's o.k. if they change all names or keep em from MY-EN.. OR your prefered-self-chocking-technique which is keepin CN names xD
  • daniel
    daniel Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I dont think its a problem, and well, the game doesent have a MIC fucntion yet. So u can just type name ;)
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    c3nzor3d wrote: »
    so what you're saying is that you like to choke yourself with your tongue while trying to spell the name? If that's the case then good luck at it :D
    I never ever choked at foreign names. Maybe i'm an exception =P

Either way, it's for the GMs/translation team to decide (I'm sure they already decided), i just wanted to know before the beta starts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • t0yo
    t0yo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I kinda liked the parody NPC names. I mean....morpheus and Beyonce rocked xD
  • merulz
    merulz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I played a private server with all the NPC's names were "****".

I have no problems with what their name is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect World IRC:
    Server: irc.deltaanime.net
    Channel: #pwint
  • orinj
    orinj Posts: 460 admin
    edited July 2008
    Options
    for the most part, we're going to sticking with the Pinyin (romanized Chinese) versions of the name.

so yer not going to find "NPC Fred" giving you a lecture on ancient Chinese-related lore and whatnot. seemed somewhat out of place.

thanks!

- orinj
    F.E.A.R. has two meanings: Forget Everything And Run - OR - Face Everything And Rise. The choice is yours, my friend.
  • soukyuu
    edited July 2008
    Options
    i officially love this version of PW :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    The NPC names will sometimes be hard to remember, but I like the idea nonetheless. Always found it weird to go look for a NPC called "Oral" in a chinese inspired game.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • celes
    celes Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Omg What Will Happen To Beyonce?!
  • shnuggles
    shnuggles Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    celes wrote: »
    Omg What Will Happen To Beyonce?!

She has decided to take a different artistic route than we wanted. Crazy musicians :p
    -Your friendly neighborhood Shnuggs-
    [PWE Billing]
    Perfect World Entertainment Customer Support System

"Any man worth his salt will stick up for what he believes right, but it takes a slightly better man to acknowledge instantly and without reservation that he is in error."
    -Andrew Jackson

Shnuggles [Shh-nugg-ulls]
    -proper noun
    1. He who turns negativity into giddiness.
    2. Has an IRL cat that plays fetch b:victory
  • showharu
    showharu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Eunice, Rosalind, Penny I LOVE U:):)
  • IPWNJOO - Harshlands
    IPWNJOO - Harshlands Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    PenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisb:shockedb:shockedb:shockedb:shocked
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Necro & troll? I see a ban coming up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    worst necro ever (i really wish to harras you now yet i cant its against the forums rules)
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • Accelerated - Sanctuary
    Accelerated - Sanctuary Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Necromancy! b:shocked

Necro .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ♥ - 藤林 杏-様 - ♥
    ♥ Kyou Fujibayashi-sama ♥
  • IPWNJOO - Harshlands
    edited October 2009
    Options
    PenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenis
  • IPWNJOO - Harshlands
    edited October 2009
    Options
    PenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenisPenis
  • Kylley - Sanctuary
    Kylley - Sanctuary Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    dude... =-.-=... wtf... dont you have something else to do...
    Hi! =^.^=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Main pets:
    Rayder, Sharptooth Wolfling: main pet
    Lyro, Guardian Wolf: magic tank, dder
    Kowlin: lurer
    Flameche, Blazing Pheonix
    BigBro, Crystalline Magmite: tanker (Yes i finally have a magmite, my bro gave me his cause he got a Walker b:surrender )
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I would bother to link to the TOS but it seems pretty obvious the necroer is not even trying to make sense....

<pulls up a chair and waits for the GMs to come with the streight jacket to take IPWNJOO away>
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • xxtalonxx
    xxtalonxx Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Obvious troll is obvious.
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
This discussion has been closed.