What is the reason you keep playing this game?

Hey everyone,

First and foremost, this topic is not, by any means, created to bash or put a negative impact to the game but instead to create a meaningful discussion as well as satisfy my own curiousity regarding the title of this topic.

With that out of the way, I wanted to genuinely ask the players: What keeps you guys playing this game rather than switching to another? To add, despite knowing that even after putting a lot of time farming in this game, someone with a credit card can instantly destroy all your hard work. How would you deal with that? What goes on your mind when getting 2-3 shotted by a player, who have only been playing less than a year, meanwhile you spent playing the game farming for years?

I’ve been playing the game for a long time and I lean towards the free-to-play side. That being said, the reason I’m asking all these question is to know more about the mentality that it takes for players to keep playing knowing the fact that they are either the rich players who dominates the game or the players who becomes the punching bag to satisfy the ego of the rich players.

Please, don’t hesitate to voice out your opinion because what I wanted to achieve by posting this topic is to apply the mentality that you guys have in the game and maybe it will make the game insteresting for me to keep playing.
I also added a poll just so I can visualize what the majority of reasons for players to keep going. If there is no option on the poll which explains why you’re still playing, please, feel free to say it in the comments.

Thanks.

What is the reason you keep playing this game? 61 votes

A. I already invested too much time in this game.
29%
sjampiewerewolves#6809sukurajamesp1fillecool226waideraincloudjossssssswynyaladyricanaspatzelakuma32dawnsilver10existenz001fartstain#0780antoine199stefanos#3147mikotosuoh#5861 18 votes
B. I already invested too much money in this game.
9%
datboileeplushie666arinasmurke123winterfox#2391cats#2149 6 votes
C. I'm too old to play another game.
9%
fatebladexlladyradware59bastiaannet6666uselesskunt#0716lettucebenemies#7387 6 votes
D. I'm already playing another game but come here from time to time.
27%
mahousenshibakujiroulunakichambalestarothklaaudijamdfkangiebelmontonestopmmokingjarmil#8659egptceirragongtoadsoniceroute666#3994justanothertoon#2654alvaedo#8097tilou2000silkroad#2705 17 votes
E. Other(s): please specify.
22%
altera#5699antonio0590titotitbrithedarkangel#8032shadowshergoodenbysrateabaggoldphart55aceabcinukarublazorgirlel876cranexoxdevilgunter#5451 14 votes

Comments

• titotit
    titotit Posts: 187 Arc User
    For me it's nostalgia, started playing this game in 2010 at the age of 15. The memories and relationships this game has given me I dont think will ever be matched. I rarely play these days but always pop back in after a couple weeks/months just for the fondness.
  • bakujirou
    bakujirou Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    There's a lot I could to say about it. There's definitely nostalgia since it was one of my first MMOs for sure.
    I get that a lot of people stick around because of the money spent or the friends they made here, but neither was never really that significant in my case.
    There were occasions where I spent here and there to reach certain goals but most of my earnings came from merchanting and instance farming, so I don't feel bad about playing less due to sunken cost.
    I rarely really made much in the way of friends either, since it was always awkward to deal with established cliques and such in guilds.
    I did get one irl friend into the game early on when I started playing way back when. Our exploration of the world at large and its lore, musing and fussing over various trials and tribulations we experienced in PUGs, helping other players while passing by certain cultivation or quest hotspots, farming things together across our mains and alts, joining guilds for TW to test ourselves (even if we never really bonded with the members on a personal level) and leaving together when we've had our fill of that environment, just sitting back and reading WC drama over something silly...

Even though that person doesn't play anymore, those pleasant memories get me to check back here and log in on occasion...Even if its just to see how things are or to roam the emptier streets of towns and zones or rarely help someone who needs it

Post edited by bakujirou on
    [Etherblade] Euthymius
    Galefang [PWpedia]

CFvfwVj.png
  • alvaedo#8097
    alvaedo#8097 Posts: 12 Arc User
    So far, it seems like nostalgia is the big reason when it comes to why people still keep playing the game. I, myself, also found that is also one of the reason why I keep playing the game from time to time. That being said though, I hope more players will see this post so that whatever mindset keeps you guys playing the game, hopefully I can use it to spice things up.

So far, after playing the games on and off, all I've been doing is just after I get home from work, I do dailies as much as I can and that's basically it. I can barely spend time to farm vitae mobs, run easy dungeons such as WS, JFSP, TT or even the Aba/SoT weekly. While on my day off, I wish I could spend more time playing PW whole day but I usually hangout with my friends and play other games.
  • gunter#5451
    gunter#5451 Posts: 68 Arc User
    I play because it's F2P for me. IDGAF about the Boutique and the dailies, just doing the things I like to do. Sometimes it' s helping people, sometimes it's killing people and sometimes I just go online to just read worldchat without using tele's myself. I still use the lvl12 pillbaby armor but have free orbs on them.
  • alvaedo#8097
    I play because it's F2P for me. IDGAF about the Boutique and the dailies, just doing the things I like to do. Sometimes it' s helping people, sometimes it's killing people and sometimes I just go online to just read worldchat without using tele's myself. I still use the lvl12 pillbaby armor but have free orbs on them.

That's what I felt when I first started playing the game, IDGAF about the requirements and stuff and just focused on enjoying the game as is but as years passed by, the game or rather the players started to change or both. Anyhow, the game favored the rich meanwhile the players kept getting competitive and focused more on gears. PWI became suddenly a job you have to focus on instead of a game you enjoy.

That being said, I hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions:
    1. How long have you been playing the game exactly?
    2. Since you said that the game is F2P for you, did you happen to resort on making tons of alt army in order to make money in the game?
    3. When participating in a PvP events such as TW, NW, 3v3, etc., how do you usually deal when someone easily kill you despite all the effort you put into your toon?
  • gunter#5451
    edited September 2021

That's what I felt when I first started playing the game, IDGAF about the requirements and stuff and just focused on enjoying the game as is but as years passed by, the game or rather the players started to change or both. Anyhow, the game favored the rich meanwhile the players kept getting competitive and focused more on gears. PWI became suddenly a job you have to focus on instead of a game you enjoy.

2. Since you said that the game is F2P for you, did you happen to resort on making tons of alt army in order to make money in the game?
    3. When participating in a PvP events such as TW, NW, 3v3, etc., how do you usually deal when someone easily kill you despite all the effort you put into your toon?

How long? Well, at least over 12 years and no, I don't have tons of alts, just playing my "main". The problem most people have is that they see a game as something important. For me it's just spending some time. I don't need to level fast or have the best gear to easy survive. Do I get money? Yeah, by selling the items I get from doing homestead quests. The gold coins I use to repair the homestead and when needed my armor. If there is money left and someone in the game really needs it -even cash shoppers sometimes are broke- he or she can have it. For example: a lvl105 G16/17+12 seeker wanted a tome that was for sale but didn't had enough money. I bought the tome and give it to him/her. I know sometimes this goes wrong: the item he/she gets will be sold or given to an alt. But who cares? Everything in this game isn't owned by the player, it's owned by the company behind this game. People seems to forget this. If I participate in TW I never follow others since I would be a 1-shot. I follow my own route, search for the opponent and only attack once the opponent isn't watching or too busy trying to kill my friends. In XNW that's a bit different: while most people I've met are only attacking the NPC or only just standing I will try to finish the match. sometimes this goes wrong and I will be killed over and over. Better to abort and move to another area however sometimes I just run around or walk straight in the hand of my enemy to see how he/she reacts. Last week I tried something different: when entering a match I noticed people who started a minute or two earlier just standing. I left that match. Normally I get enough silver coins to repair my homestead, armor, buy skills - which are very expensive. Last week it was about 40kk silver coins. And yes, I am an easy kill for cashshoppers but once I died a few times they get bored. Will I ever stop playing PWI? Yes, it's possible once ARC is replaced and we all need to have a 64 bit computer just to start PWI and people move on to other games making PWI servers 'more empty' that they are now.
  • blazorgirl
    blazorgirl Posts: 11 Arc User
    Because we all think we are too good for normal addictions like cocaine…
  • alvaedo#8097

How long? Well, at least over 12 years and no, I don't have tons of alts, just playing my "main". The problem most people have is that they see a game as something important. For me it's just spending some time. I don't need to level fast or have the best gear to easy survive. Do I get money? Yeah, by selling the items I get from doing homestead quests. The gold coins I use to repair the homestead and when needed my armor. If there is money left and someone in the game really needs it -even cash shoppers sometimes are broke- he or she can have it. For example: a lvl105 G16/17+12 seeker wanted a tome that was for sale but didn't had enough money. I bought the tome and give it to him/her. I know sometimes this goes wrong: the item he/she gets will be sold or given to an alt. But who cares? Everything in this game isn't owned by the player, it's owned by the company behind this game. People seems to forget this. If I participate in TW I never follow others since I would be a 1-shot. I follow my own route, search for the opponent and only attack once the opponent isn't watching or too busy trying to kill my friends. In XNW that's a bit different: while most people I've met are only attacking the NPC or only just standing I will try to finish the match. sometimes this goes wrong and I will be killed over and over. Better to abort and move to another area however sometimes I just run around or walk straight in the hand of my enemy to see how he/she reacts. Last week I tried something different: when entering a match I noticed people who started a minute or two earlier just standing. I left that match. Normally I get enough silver coins to repair my homestead, armor, buy skills - which are very expensive. Last week it was about 40kk silver coins. And yes, I am an easy kill for cashshoppers but once I died a few times they get bored. Will I ever stop playing PWI? Yes, it's possible once ARC is replaced and we all need to have a 64 bit computer just to start PWI and people move on to other games making PWI servers 'more empty' that they are now.

Reading your response, I can tell that you're a very chill person to play with. May I ask if you happen to stream on Twitch or YouTube? I can only spare a bit of my time playing once I get home from work and watching someone play the game I like casually during my break at work would be quite chill.

Anyhow, I'll try approaching the game just like you and hopefully, it would make the game less stressful and more enjoyable to play with. I do tend to play solo and only just play with others if need be so I might have to socialize more to build connections and friends.
  • alvaedo#8097
    blazorgirl wrote: »

Better be a game addict than a drug addict, am I right? B)
  • antonio0590
    antonio0590 Posts: 144 Arc User
    Just waiting for the day they shut it down to see all the cser rage .
  • alvaedo#8097
    edited September 2021

That's a good reason to keep playing the game.

All jokes aside though, what is your opinion whether new players should try out this game or not? My friends wanted to try out this game in which I'm currently playing since they wanted to branch out from FPS games. They're a casual gamers such as myself and usually charge once a month if they think it's a good deal. I do plan on making a new toon so I can play with them and it's a good thing that my friends and I occupy one of each the holy trinity classes (healer, tank, & dd) so we pretty much don't have to rely on OP player to fast run/level us and just do it the old way like we used to.
  • gunter#5451
    edited September 2021
    Reading your response, I can tell that you're a very chill person to play with. May I ask if you happen to stream on Twitch or YouTube? I can only spare a bit of my time playing once I get home from work and watching someone play the game I like casually during my break at work would be quite chill.
    Anyhow, I'll try approaching the game just like you and hopefully, it would make the game less stressful and more enjoyable to play with. I do tend to play solo and only just play with others if need be so I might have to socialize more to build connections and friends.

No, I never recorded anything and never liked to see people with small "sausages" killing eachother on YouTube. I sometimes use YouTube to see things I've never done in the game but that didn't happen in months. Never used Twitch. I also play solo but that's because most people are in a hurry and/or spending a lot of money to level as quick as possible. Still discovering nice area's with absolutely no other players around. Good for coindrops.
    Now the bad part: 2 days ago I installed software to update drivers on my computer but it totally messed up everything. Installed Windows, Arc and PWI again and I could play until I restarted the computer. Then it was dead. Took me some time to install everything again on a new SSD but now I have another problem: many people just standing near the 'dragon NPC' in Archosaur. If I start PWI now I get an instant dc. Think I just need to wait a few days until the event is ended however I will try tosolve the problem in the mean time. :s Currently visiting family so I can go online but I don't think they like me to play for hours. O well, hope to use my own computer soon.

edit: in 2022 the mmorpg [other game] would be playable in the USA and Europe. I like the gfx on that game so there is always a chance for me to move on to a new game. I think I could play the Korean or Russian version via a VPN connection but maybe it's better just to wait until the game is playable in my own language.

Post edited by obielle on
  • alvaedo#8097
    edited September 2021

No, I never recorded anything and never liked to see people with small "sausages" killing eachother on YouTube. I sometimes use YouTube to see things I've never done in the game but that didn't happen in months. Never used Twitch. I also play solo but that's because most people are in a hurry and/or spending a lot of money to level as quick as possible. Still discovering nice area's with absolutely no other players around. Good for coindrops.
    Now the bad part: 2 days ago I installed software to update drivers on my computer but it totally messed up everything. Installed Windows, Arc and PWI again and I could play until I restarted the computer. Then it was dead. Took me some time to install everything again on a new SSD but now I have another problem: many people just standing near the 'dragon NPC' in Archosaur. If I start PWI now I get an instant dc. Think I just need to wait a few days until the event is ended however I will try tosolve the problem in the mean time. :s Currently visiting family so I can go online but I don't think they like me to play for hours. O well, hope to use my own computer soon.

edit: in 2022 the mmorpg [other game] would be playable in the USA and Europe. I like the gfx on that game so there is always a chance for me to move on to a new game. I think I could play the Korean or Russian version via a VPN connection but maybe it's better just to wait until the game is playable in my own language.

Hope that problem of yours will be fixed soon man.

About [other game] though, it does have a nice graphics, sadly, my potato laptop can't handle sh*t. I'm running PWI at its lowest setting that the sky and sun is pixelated lol.
    Post edited by obielle on
  • antonio0590
    antonio0590 Posts: 144 Arc User

All jokes aside though, what is your opinion whether new players should try out this game or not? My friends wanted to try out this game in which I'm currently playing since they wanted to branch out from FPS games. They're a casual gamers such as myself and usually charge once a month if they think it's a good deal. I do plan on making a new toon so I can play with them and it's a good thing that my friends and I occupy one of each the holy trinity classes (healer, tank, & dd) so we pretty much don't have to rely on OP player to fast run/level us and just do it the old way like we used to.

New players could have fun starting out on this game. The quest grind is far more fun and rewarding than it used to be. You get gear almost every 10 levels, but the best free gear you get is at 85. That gear usually lasts you until you reach 100 for the 3rd time.

The game is still fun right up until you want to try PvP, then you get wallet smacked.

If you dont plan on PvPing (at least at the high end), then you can very much enjoy this game casually (an hour or 2 a day).
  • alvaedo#8097

New players could have fun starting out on this game. The quest grind is far more fun and rewarding than it used to be. You get gear almost every 10 levels, but the best free gear you get is at 85. That gear usually lasts you until you reach 100 for the 3rd time.

The game is still fun right up until you want to try PvP, then you get wallet smacked.

If you dont plan on PvPing (at least at the high end), then you can very much enjoy this game casually (an hour or 2 a day).

Yeah, I guess that's true. Questing and leveling have became easier as well as acquiring gears for free despite the game removing farming methods for F2P players over the years.

Although my friends and I are very competitive when it comes to games, we are not stupid enough to charge that MUCH money for any game in general. Sorry if this comment offended people who spend thousands of dollars, I respect your decision and it's your money, if spending money in the game will make you money, that's good for you.
  • sjampie
    sjampie Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    removed my text because of the moderation
    Post edited by sjampie on
  • alvaedo#8097
    edited September 2021
    sjampie wrote: »
    Invested much time in this game but (don't tell anyone) I never played this game. Many, many years ago I was a level 50 archer who finally managed to finish the FB29 quest. Now I just check on thingies and if I have the time I actually do one or two quests. Also, it's better to invest your money in a few bottles of French Merlot since you need it once you see the same text in worldchat over and over... This year's event is getting boring.

Ah, I remember those times when playing the game is about having fun. This game was my first online game ever and when I first logged in, I made a BM and I still remember allocating TONS OF MAGIC POINTS in my toon just because I don't have enough MP to use my skills and that I don't have coins to buy MP pots lol. Suffice to say, I failed miserably but hey, I did have fun using my skills without worrying about my MP or coins!
  • sjampie
    edited September 2021
  • athenian
    athenian Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Nostalgia, nostalgia and nostalgia... I play since 2008 but stopped leveling after about 2015 and stopped playing after i couldn't log 3 or more of my alts simultaneously. But I come here to see how the realm is doing. It's a real pain to see empty cities and a not busy chatbox. One of the best part of this game was its music - I sometimes log in and set an alt to fly from one corner of the map to the other corner, so I can listen most of those great music pieces while I doing other home things. Thinking of the game ? - it's dead... no new players, no people asking partners for lower level BHs etc... I check the list of my past friends in the game and almost all of them haven't log in for years... I didn't spend much money in the game. I think that almost all of the active players are people that spent too much in it... I met lots of friendly people in this game and it's a part of my past life - can't ignore it. It brings good memories... Countless times I went to sleep after it was already dawn outside, after all night long quests and bhs...
    Oh... did I forget to refer to nostalgia ?
  • sjampie
    edited September 2021
  • alvaedo#8097
    athenian wrote: »
    Nostalgia, nostalgia and nostalgia... I play since 2008 but stopped leveling after about 2015 and stopped playing after i couldn't log 3 or more of my alts simultaneously. But I come here to see how the realm is doing. It's a real pain to see empty cities and a not busy chatbox. One of the best part of this game was its music - I sometimes log in and set an alt to fly from one corner of the map to the other corner, so I can listen most of those great music pieces while I doing other home things. Thinking of the game ? - it's dead... no new players, no people asking partners for lower level BHs etc... I check the list of my past friends in the game and almost all of them haven't log in for years... I didn't spend much money in the game. I think that almost all of the active players are people that spent too much in it... I met lots of friendly people in this game and it's a part of my past life - can't ignore it. It brings good memories... Countless times I went to sleep after it was already dawn outside, after all night long quests and bhs...
    Oh... did I forget to refer to nostalgia ?

Oh, the music in this game is so refreshing especially the one when you arrive at Sanctuary. Now though, I always mute the bg and music since I tend to alt tab a lot and sometimes talking to my friends via discord.

I've had a lot of my friends quit the game too that their names on my FL has been off for years now, heck even the extreme CS'ers that I know from Raging Tides (aka Tideswell) quit such as Livewire, MrsMav, Ulq, Kastus, boogiepanda, skai (he came back), and that panda who always talks perverted sh*t in wc. Enough to say that even people who are spending thousands of dollars in this game quit.
  • sjampie
    edited September 2021
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    For me, I guess I'm still playing in a way because I found some kinda purpose in PWI. I've never really been bothered about pvp or the cash shoppers because as they say, there's always a bigger fish, so I don't let others achievements get to me that much. Also, I fully acknowledge that I do not have the ability to pvp effectively. Some people just suck at stuff - I suck at pvp in-game and physics in real life.

You won't really see me doing much in-game like dungeons and stuff since I got burnt out long ago haha. I've always wanted to help other people, but I don't have the energy to do that in-game with dungeon runs and such especially since I'm horrible with time management. I ended up finding a way to help others by writing guides for my factions, and then branching out to writing/editing articles on PWpedia. I guess I enjoy researching stuff and teaching other people in a way that I'm able to. I don't always focus on the newest things the game comes out with, which allows me to re-experience things as I did in the past, or experience things I never got to try when I was a newbie. I also find some kind of fun in failing bosses on purpose just for the sake of science (though I'll never do this in an actual run with other people).

If I weren't doing forum modding and editing the wiki, I'd probably have quit by now. I don't think I would've moved on to another game since I don't have that much time to sink into another MMO. If I were gonna play one, it'd probably just be super casual and for the story.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • alvaedo#8097
    obielle wrote: »
    For me, I guess I'm still playing in a way because I found some kinda purpose in PWI. I've never really been bothered about pvp or the cash shoppers because as they say, there's always a bigger fish, so I don't let others achievements get to me that much. Also, I fully acknowledge that I do not have the ability to pvp effectively. Some people just suck at stuff - I suck at pvp in-game and physics in real life.

You won't really see me doing much in-game like dungeons and stuff since I got burnt out long ago haha. I've always wanted to help other people, but I don't have the energy to do that in-game with dungeon runs and such especially since I'm horrible with time management. I ended up finding a way to help others by writing guides for my factions, and then branching out to writing/editing articles on PWpedia. I guess I enjoy researching stuff and teaching other people in a way that I'm able to. I don't always focus on the newest things the game comes out with, which allows me to re-experience things as I did in the past, or experience things I never got to try when I was a newbie. I also find some kind of fun in failing bosses on purpose just for the sake of science (though I'll never do this in an actual run with other people).

If I weren't doing forum modding and editing the wiki, I'd probably have quit by now. I don't think I would've moved on to another game since I don't have that much time to sink into another MMO. If I were gonna play one, it'd probably just be super casual and for the story.

I agree about "there's always a bigger fish". One thing I learned after playing a lot of MMO's is that the journey to your goal matters the most rather than the goal itself. Getting sidetracked on your goal isn't also a bad thing since you never know, you might meet friends along the way which happens several times to me on every games that I played.
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    obielle wrote: »

I agree about "there's always a bigger fish". One thing I learned after playing a lot of MMO's is that the journey to your goal matters the most rather than the goal itself. Getting sidetracked on your goal isn't also a bad thing since you never know, you might meet friends along the way which happens several times to me on every games that I played.

Absolutely. When I first started playing I didn't even have much of a goal in mind other than simply play the game. I started playing to make friends and enjoy myself whenever I wasn't in high school. I did try a pvp server at first but I think I hit bad luck and joined a guild that all the top guilds had on their KoS list so I did not have a fun time, and so I moved to a pve server. Took me a while to actually learn the mechanics of the game to come up with a goal that wasn't just "wear pretty fashion" - I'd never played a game with actual questing before or different paths to gear up.

Definitely enjoyed my journey to my gear goals. I learned about merching since I wasn't a farming class (I geared up in the Nirvana era) and got to earn my gear instead of it being gifted to me or something. I was also a bit young and broke so csing wasn't something to consider. Nowadays...I don't know the price of anything and wouldn't even know how to merch lmao. Plus there's so much to work on constantly to improve if you want to keep up. It's not worth the stress for me so I'm very lazy in-game now xD
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • blazorgirl
    blazorgirl Posts: 11 Arc User

Kinda the same with how some ppl let this game financially ruin them 😣

• alvaedo#8097

Kinda the same with how some ppl let this game financially ruin them 😣

Hopefully this game doesn't turn out like WoW did. Players started quitting and when the game noticed that they were not making money anymore, they started implementing the suggestions that the players submitted months before they quit. That just proves that the dev team intentionally ignored their request and just decided to act on it when it's already too late.
  • betuou
    betuou Posts: 25 Arc User
    E. others

I cannot find the time to start over in a new mmorpg.Funny thing is that even tho other games might be less pay2win you need to invest alot of time in geting started.Basically what i do now is log in quickly get done the important stuff and log out.To start over somewhere you need some free time on your hands to get acustomed to the game and get things rolling and tbh i dont have that luxury.A big part of the fun in mmorpgs is exactly that discovering new things, questing and so on but when your short on free time its more convenient to just play something that your already familliar with and where your already established.
  • oldphart55
    oldphart55 Posts: 130 Arc User
    i am one of the oldest players on pwi i originaly started on the old RT server i had a barb called Penrith i started when i was 55yrs now i'm @ 67 i took time off from game due to health doing ok now
  • lestaroth
    lestaroth Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    I picked D. because I am indeed playing another MMORPG right now, but I keep coming here to do my daily check-in on all characters (and keep stressing up when I am unsure I did it or not -why is the penalty so harsh in the form of absence notes? haha, guh-).

That said, I would still have reasons to work on my characters, but I don't feel that right now.

When it comes to the upcoming class, I am not sure I will partake in creating one as I would need to create another account as I got full capacity on the others (and no, I shall not delete any of my cherished existing characters).

Oh and Obielle, thank you for your hard work. It is much appreciated.

Take care!