[Help] Returning Player | Which Class to Choose?

blacred#4270
blacred#4270 Posts: 7 Arc User
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Hello Everyone!

I decided to come back to the game and start fresh. I quit few years ago and went to private servers to experience what PvP is like which I can't experience here due to heavy p2w. That being said, I do still keep tabs here and still talking to my PWI friends and asking them what's been going on here so that in case I come back, I do have some knowledge.

That being said, I am quite stuck as to what class I want to make. I was a BM main ever since I started playing PWI around 2007 but as soon as Tideborns came out, I became an assassin main. And when I started playing in private servers, I also manage to become proficient on playing other classes except Mystic and Cleric.

A little information I wanted to let you guys know:
  • I prefer to play solo but I'll definitely ask for help if need be.
  • I lean more towards PvE than PvP when playing official.
  • I do plan on spending 300 bucks per year or when there is that charge promo thing.
  • Although I still talk to my friends, I may not be able to ask them for help due to time difference or I might be playing on different server.

There are 3 classes and I was hoping that I could get some insights from you guys as to what is best suited for me:
  • Blademaster - I played this class the longest and from what I can tell on what my friends told about me, this class along with Venomancer are the most needed when it comes to PvE.
  • Assassin - 2nd class I'm familiar with and it totally fits my playstyle the best since I prefer to play solo.
  • Seeker - Reason I included this class as to one of my option is mainly due to the Vitae Mobs. Thinking ahead in the future, I know that farming vitae to increase my spirit is a must but looking in the future, I doubt anyone would let me tag along in their daily vitae farming due to my low sky level or that players will be busy with their dailies.

So far, I'm leaning towards seeker more for that easy vortex vitae farming, and then blademaster for the second choice due to it the class most wanted in PvE, and then assassin for the last because I'm also aware that even though this class fits my playstyle, almost if not all factions in the server have a high requirement when it comes to this class.

Looking forward with the result everyone!

Thanks!

PS. I'm planning on playing in Tideswell server.
Post edited by blacred#4270 on

[Help] Returning Player | Which Class to Choose? 15 votes

Blademaster
40%
spatzelojhrcsquared5chipsr01#2846playerfan#9081malak#6062 6 votes
Assassin
20%
vcbrain16cheriberryex#8626veiszb2#8625 3 votes
Seeker
40%
aapkekinzertmusiclover#7955am3retatxelenia#3156ratede#9828 6 votes

Comments

• blacred#4270
    Thanks for giving me your response @ojhr. It seems like the forum isn't as active as I thought it would be. Hopefully, I get more answers that I posted on reddit.
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,795 Community Moderator
    My advise is to try all 3 at a lower lv. Up till lv 20 may be as you still in the starting area. Your then get used to the skills and may even find a class that likens to your play style. Will give you a good range of toons as well to pick from.

I got to be fair out of the 3 I would find it hard to choose myself.

Thanks.​​
  • blacred#4270
    heero200 wrote: »
    My advise is to try all 3 at a lower lv. Up till lv 20 may be as you still in the starting area. Your then get used to the skills and may even find a class that likens to your play style. Will give you a good range of toons as well to pick from.

I got to be fair out of the 3 I would find it hard to choose myself.

Thanks.​​

Thank you for the advise @heero200, I really appreciate it. That being said, after I quit official years ago and went to private servers, I managed to try out all the classes on their end game capabilities and the obvious thing I learned is that no matter which server I play, when it comes to PvP side of PW, assassin will most likely dominate most if not all classes. As a result, most server that I played with always nerf that class.

Anyways, even if I were to try out your advise, I'm certain that I will still ask people what class is best when playing official where I lean more towards the PvE side. I also mentioned that I tend to play solo unless I need help killing a dungeon boss. I also have a knowledge regarding sky levels and vitae farming which is why I included seeker in my options.

But, I'll try your advise anyways and maybe it'll work out somehow.

Thanks again!
  • sheetsandbanch
    sheetsandbanch Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    I want to caution you on choosing your toon based on its ability to farm vitae. Most of your vitae will come from quests anyways so this "farming" is not as important. Furthermore, any class that can run an aps set (like blademaster and sins) are fully capable of farming vitae on their own. So as far as farming vitae is concerned, all 3 of the classes you listed are A-OK. To add on to this, a helpful faction will go a long way. I think factions in general will help farm vitae if you are the same sky level. The biggest worry is people who come and steal your vitae mobs!

I think that kind of eliminates seeker from your list, so now we are choosing between BM and sin. You really can't go wrong with either choice. Both have their purpose in PVE and PVP. If you are completely new to the official server/starting from scratch, I highly recommend you start with a sin, especially given your focus on PVE and solo play. You can always go back and make a BM but I think investing in a sin from the start is a wise choice. The reason being that a sin can accomplish a lot with minimal investment. It is surprising how much content a sin in tt99 gear can accomplish. Not only will you be able to solo a lot, but you will also be able to farm a lot as well which can help you make money to progress your toons.

Having said all that, if you are spending money on this game, what I just said may be irrelevant. Any toon with the proper gear can solo most game content. I just think that sins are the most multi purposeful toon for a new player.

At the end of the day pick the class you love. Hopefully you find some of this helpful!​​
    Post edited by heerohex#3018 on
  • blacred#4270
    I want to caution you on choosing your toon based on its ability to farm vitae. Most of your vitae will come from quests anyways so this "farming" is not as important. Furthermore, any class that can run an aps set (like blademaster and sins) are fully capable of farming vitae on their own. So as far as farming vitae is concerned, all 3 of the classes you listed are A-OK. To add on to this, a helpful faction will go a long way. I think factions in general will help farm vitae if you are the same sky level. The biggest worry is people who come and steal your vitae mobs!

I think that kind of eliminates seeker from your list, so now we are choosing between BM and sin. You really can't go wrong with either choice. Both have their purpose in PVE and PVP. If you are completely new to the official server/starting from scratch, I highly recommend you start with a sin, especially given your focus on PVE and solo play. You can always go back and make a BM but I think investing in a sin from the start is a wise choice. The reason being that a sin can accomplish a lot with minimal investment. It is surprising how much content a sin in tt99 gear can accomplish. Not only will you be able to solo a lot, but you will also be able to farm a lot as well which can help you make money to progress your toons.

Having said all that, if you are spending money on this game, what I just said may be irrelevant. Any toon with the proper gear can solo most game content. I just think that sins are the most multi purposeful toon for a new player.

At the end of the day pick the class you love. Hopefully you find some of this helpful!​​

This is quite a very informative response! I guess what you said does make sense especially going aps for farming. On the blademaster side, both dph or aps, that class is always wanted on squad. On the other hand, assassin excel so much on farming materials in the dungeon due to their stealth and teleport skills but it's a class which both faction or squad have high expectation of when it comes to gears.

I appreciate your response, it does gave me some insight but hopefully, I get more response for a concrete solution. I can't wait to play the official again!
  • bakujirou
    bakujirou Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    If one's not a BM/Veno/Cleric/Seeker (or maybe an assassin, but not always), they're sort of left high and dry for squad recommendations in later endgame instances unless they're exceptionally geared....or running with friends. Just something to keep in mind
    [Etherblade] Euthymius
    Galefang [PWpedia]

CFvfwVj.png
  • blacred#4270
    bakujirou wrote: »
    If one's not a BM/Veno/Cleric/Seeker (or maybe an assassin, but not always), they're sort of left high and dry for squad recommendations in later endgame instances unless they're exceptionally geared....or running with friends. Just something to keep in mind

If I were to consider that, assassin is out of the option then. Blademaster is always wanted in squad but that class is quite expensive when gearing it. So far, seeker seems to be the best option out of the 3.
  • chipsr01#2846
    chipsr01#2846 Posts: 65 Arc User
    Blademaster
    teabagglet, uninstall? that's trolling right? ;)
  • malak#6062
    malak#6062 Posts: 2 Arc User
    Blademaster
    My fav toon was BM as well then cleric I was a pretty decent cleric player back in the day and I do remember the change when tideborns were added and I went to sin as well but eventually ended up back on cleric or BM. I have also been gone for years now and never was much of a forums person either. Solo is how I played 95% of the time though it does get lonely farming and grinding which is why making friends and finding a decent faction is important, Sure you can solo your heart out but after a time it does tend to get pretty lame, that is where factions and friends come into play.
    I consider myself a newbie all over again since I left the game like 2 years after launch lol and the new classes look great but the old school classes BM,Cleric etc.. should still be pretty decent one would think.
    BM would be my choice but then again though it wasn't listed could always try out a cleric and go from there.
    I know it ain't much help and I'm also returning to game after so long so there's a lot I still gotta learn but from past exp I would say BM.
  • csquared5
    csquared5 Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Blademaster
    I should point out that if your experience about 'which class is favored in pvp' is mostly influenced by your time spent on PRIVATE servers... then your information is not entirely correct.

The majority of private servers seem to have a real love affair with the assassin class. In general, the servers are set up with settings such that assassins are highly favored, and the *type* of pvp that is performed on private servers is very beneficial to the assassin class. I recall one private server where it was nearly impossible to farm Revelation Apoth (giving you stealth detection +31 for 30s), and how most of the pvp was '1v1' or other very small-scale pvp, maybe never exceeding 10 players on each side. In these low-# situations, yes sins are indeed very strong. (Think: why are people on private servers? Often these people have something to prove---they have an ego, they want to show they are 'best', and this means that 1v1 is the favored type of pvp, which is what sins do excel at.)

However, on official servers, what types of pvp do most players actually engage in? Open world pvp? 1v1? Sometimes. Not so much nowadays. I would suggest that the majority of players who pvp are doing so on weekends during large-scale pvp events such as SvS, xNW, or TW. In these situations, assassins are not at all the strongest class. I know several people who have g17 armor and weapons; assassin, seekers, and mystic. The mystic is by far the most dangerous to the most # of people due to the huge aoe of comforting mist. The seeker also probably gets way more kills than the assassin, and is a huge distraction due to the incredibly powerful debuff and the fact that they can mitigate insane amounts of damage. Assassins do have a great chance of killing any individual target they chose to, but what they are not nearly as good at is killing a lot of people all at once like either seeker or mystic can. And this holds true still at other gear levels as well. Sins are just going to struggle to have the same effectiveness as other classes when the # of ppl fighting gets too high.

Anyways, when it comes to which class you should pick...

On Tideswell, a bm is a surefire bet. You'll be able to get into nearly any instance you want with ease, because there is a lack of bms on our server. BM hf turns any 'maybe a nuke' squad into 'easy nuke' squad. The bm is also totally fine soloing vit mobs (granted that you have an assassin alt for bloodpaint) even if it won't do them *quite* as fast as a seeker, they'll do with a lot less mana consumption. Seeker vortex will burn through mana pots/charms like nobody's business.

And as far as soloing stuff goes... I mean, yeah, sins are still best at that. But precisely *what* do you want to solo? If you want to solo TTR 4-1, then yeah, an OP sin can do that where few other classes would even dare try. But if you are going to that extreme level, you need a whole team worth of alts anyways. Soloing TT 1-1 through 3-3? A bm with bloodpaint can do that just fine tbh. So could a seeker.

And when it comes to bm, they are no slouch at any form of pvp either. Even if they aren't quite as good in 1v1 as sin, they are incredibly more impactful in mass pvp situations. An unkillable bm holding a chokepoint can stop an entire enemy faction in its tracks in SvS or TW situations, for example.

BM is also just a whole lot of fun to play. Hotkey your leaps and its such an agile, versatile class. The new glyphs mean you can stun your target from really, really far away, with proper weapon switching techniques.

The only problem I'd say with choosing a BM is it is NOT the easiest class to get to a stage where you'll be competitive in endgame pvp. As a bm, you will be a front line class, and unlike a ranged class, your armor really, really does matter. You can't really avoid taking hits. (In comparison, a class like a stormbringer or a cleric or archer could, with proper positioning, be essentially a one-shot but still have ok survival if they just avoid ever getting hit, and still have a positive impact on fight). So to be competitive as a BM, you should be pretty tanky. And secondly, to be competitive, you really should have a variety of weapons. The class is called the blade MASTER after all... you don't become a master with just a single weapon! Axes, pole, spear, and fists all have their place for the complete blademaster depending on the situation.

But as a result, the bm is a class that can be a lot of fun to play, due to how high the skill ceiling is for this class there is a lot of room for development I feel. In comparison, a seeker feels a lot more straightforward to play nowadays. Your combos as a seeker are powerful but rather repetitive.

I'd definitely put in my vote towards bm.

»Go back to sleep...« PWI Youtube Channel

• leziar#5056
    leziar#5056 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Hi there!

I also happen to have the same question as the original poster of this thread and I'm planning on playing Tideswell server. However, I hear that out of all the PWI server, Tideswell seems to be going downhill on how many players are online.

With that being said, I'm hesitant to play PWI because I live in the East Coast and there is only one server for it. I don't want to play on West Coast or EU server because it will not match my time zone and it will cost me to miss a lot of events in the future.
  • chipsr01#2846
    chipsr01#2846 Posts: 65 Arc User
    Blademaster
    Hi there!

I also happen to have the same question as the original poster of this thread and I'm planning on playing Tideswell server. However, I hear that out of all the PWI server, Tideswell seems to be going downhill on how many players are online.

With that being said, I'm hesitant to play PWI because I live in the East Coast and there is only one server for it. I don't want to play on West Coast or EU server because it will not match my time zone and it will cost me to miss a lot of events in the future.

Welcome on Tideswell server :)

Yes, most people only willing to spend coins or work free of charge (by testing the new app from PWE) but I've noticed while playing on Tideswell server I never needed any of those lamebrains to help me with my quests. I just solo most using the free armor.
  • leziar#5056
    leziar#5056 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    *deleted*
    Post edited by leziar#5056 on