Arc using microphone?

datsang
datsang Posts: 163 Arc User
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
So I ran into this today and decided to post for feedback.

When I log pwi, not arc but pwi, I instantly get this icon to popup https://prnt.sc/ulv1p1
Now to see what it says?

https://prnt.sc/ulv2go

Rough translation, cause I got Finnish installation of W10 for whatever reason, is "ArcOSOverlay uses microphone".
The way I get rid of it is pretty simple, I force close arc, click on the microphone image, scroll down, disable the permissions from which arc is part of for second or two, see arc using mic is disabled popup and turn the permissions back on.

The larger question is, has this legit became a spyware or am I misunderstanding something? I would honestly be interested to see if this problem is specific to me or more widespread. Or am I just confusing something?

Ps. General discussion cause I cant post it on quality corner and because nobody looks at tech support section these days.

Comments

• sjampie
    sjampie Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    removed my text because of the moderation
    Post edited by sjampie on
  • datsang
    Interesting, I do wonder why the setting is active by default though, feels bit intrusive. I also wonder why on earth it keeps using mic after Arc is force closed - I do need to do the last step to play with permissions to get rid of it. But meh, did not know arc had such a feature in it - Feels very CN based feature due other voice programs, namely discord nowdays, being so widespread in west. If they put this **** on the client cause of CN, should just legit translate the CN client to English and use that as its so much better than arc.
  • datsang
    sjampie wrote: »
    Now for the Microphone. Just check your settings. PWE wanted something like Discord I think but just visit the "Chat" option and turn off "Automatically sign me into chat" and "Automatically adjust microphone settings". It's not needed to turn them off if you just close Arc. It's also possible to replace the ArcOSOverlay with an empty executable but this has to be done every time Arc gets an update.
    Just an update, despite doing this, I had to actually force close arc in order to get rid of arc using my mic.
  • sjampie
    sjampie Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    removed my text because of the moderation

Post edited by sjampie on