Old player returning after a 6 year break - Question about the new Edgerunner class

eraldus
eraldus Posts: 336 Arc User
Hello, guys!

Recently I've decided to give this game another go, and dear lord, has this game changed... Played this game since way back, when the Tideborn were introduced to the game, and I'm feeling a bit lost right now, and I also got lots of questions, but for now, I wish to talk about the recently added new class Edgerunner, which is a pretty fun class and I'm having a lot of fun with it, as I love sword and board characters, and I always thought how cool it would be, if PWI had a S&B character...

I've been playing the new class for quite a while, but I've noticed my character doesn't seems to change his outfit whenever I equip a new armor piece... even the weapons doesn't seems to change at all, which kinda bothers me, because I used to love the look of gear pieces in this game, but even now, after reaching level 40, my character still has the default appearance from the very start of the game, and no, I'm not wearing any fashion on my Edgerunner.

Is it intended to be like this?

I love the new class, but having my character looking the same no matter which gear I equip really takes some of the charm from this class...

Comments

• chilpod
    chilpod Posts: 61 Arc User
    Check system settings: if HD Mode is on then nothing will change. Turn it off and you can even see fashion. Bad part: since we don't know the setting from the people nearby there is a possibility they see the character with the standard gfx (meaning they have HD Settings on).

I never tried the Optimization Settings for this type of character. Would it be in a swimming outfit like all other characters when Optimization Settings are set to "low"? I'm sure someone else will test it soon.
  • eraldus
    chilpod wrote: »
    Check system settings: if HD Mode is on then nothing will change. Turn it off and you can even see fashion. Bad part: since we don't know the setting from the people nearby there is a possibility they see the character with the standard gfx (meaning they have HD Settings on).

I never tried the Optimization Settings for this type of character. Would it be in a swimming outfit like all other characters when Optimization Settings are set to "low"? I'm sure someone else will test it soon.

I found the option you mentioned to, and when I switched it off, it did show my character wearing his armor, however his look also got completely changed, lol.

I tried to use a makeover scroll I got from a quest to change my look, but I could only select a single hair option for this character... is it supposed to be like this too?

It's pretty weird how they handled this "HD Mode" introduction to the game, honestly.
  • chipsr01#2846
    chipsr01#2846 Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    hairpresetsv8khw.jpg

The edgerunner hair should be available. If not: verify the PWI files.
  • eraldus
    edited August 2020
    hairpresetsv8khw.jpg

The edgerunner hair should be available. If not: verify the PWI files.

Do you have HD Mode active?

When I try to change my character's look in the character select screen with HD Mode turned off, I only get this option:

https://imgur.com/a/8GggvME

EDIT: For some reason, I'm unable post the image directly here, sorry.

EDIT; Clicking on Random will change my character's hair to other options, and I got this... abomination, for some reason.

https://imgur.com/XphUxCX

Yeah, this thing is broken as hell.
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    Err yeah the customization is not supposed to be like that I'm pretty sure. Not sure what could be causing that. I'd recommend maybe trying to verify your files in the patcher and maybe some customization options will pop up. I haven't customized an edgerunner with HD mode off though so I don't know how many options they have available normally.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • chipsr01#2846
    obielle wrote: »
    Err yeah the customization is not supposed to be like that I'm pretty sure. Not sure what could be causing that. I'd recommend maybe trying to verify your files in the patcher and maybe some customization options will pop up. I haven't customized an edgerunner with HD mode off though so I don't know how many options they have available normally.

Verify? Yes.. already wrote that! I did test it with HD mode on and off using different computers just to see if that could be the issue here. Used a Geforce and Radeon GPU. Even better: I tested both new classes. In both modes you can fully customize the edgerunner. So the problem lies with the personal settings while playing. Think the discussion can be closed unless we get more info.

• chipsr01#2846
    edited August 2020
    As dor the other comment:

When I try to change my character's look in the character select screen with HD Mode turned off, I only get this option:

EDIT; Clicking on Random will change my character's hair to other options, and I got this... abomination, for some reason.

The screenshot isn't from creating the edgerunner so think you used a makeover scroll. Haven't test that on both new characters and the "old" classes except my main (Blademaster). So did you see the problem while using a makeover scroll?
  • eraldus
    As dor the other comment:

The screenshot isn't from creating the edgerunner so think you used a makeover scroll. Haven't test that on both new characters and the "old" classes except my main (Blademaster). So did you see the problem while using a makeover scroll?

Actually, when I try to create a new Edgerunner, I get those hair options you showed above, because when you create a new character, it would only allow me to create the character in HD Mode, which indeed has these hair options.

I'd really like to play with HD Mode on, however it will hide my character's armor, for some reason...

Honestly, it's so weird how they handled character customization with this class... Why even add these limitations, like preventing your armor from showing up, or having only a single hair option, if you turn HD mode off? And why hitting Random will either bring a messed up model on your character, or it will randomly pick a hair option that you can't normally select?

This is very weird and confusing...
  • nunuator
    nunuator Posts: 455 Arc User
    Edgerunner has 2 unique ini edit codes/files generated for them 1 is their hd mode the other is their base ini, the one every other class has, this allows edgerunner and technician to have 2 ini edits altogether with an hd toggle to choose between them. In the current version of PWI the edits are in normal mode are bugged and try to call hd mode textures resulting in that look which you posted...

You can manually edit the values for the edgerunner and get a normal looking edge but, until then you’ll have that monstrosity which in fact has 4 ears, 2 on each side and 2 mouths.

PWCN has later fixed this bug and allows the edgerunner and technician to wear certain fashions in the HD mode sadly they never will fix older fashions to work in HD mode at least not yet. We have yet to receive any fashions that work in HD mode so for the time being, until PWCN updates hit our version we will be stuck with base edgerunner looks in HD mode
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    Ah I took a look at the normal mode Edgerunner customization and got the abomination preset too haha. Unfortunately over the years the game has kind of limited the customization options at least when it comes to hairstyles. There's actually a ton of options but to get most of the hairstyles you have to use ini editing.

There's a guide on forums that is quite old but you should be able to find a bunch of hair options to use: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/pwi#/discussion/748689/so-you-want-to-ini-edit-your-character/p1

If you want to go the ini editing route, I believe the Edgerunner customization files end up stored like the following depending on where your installation of PWI is: C:\Program Files (x86)\PWI_en\element\userdata\character\customize\130
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • nunuator
    nunuator Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    The most up to date ini edit guide atm is this one I made back in late 2017

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/pwi/#/discussion/1206921/how-to-ini-edit-revamped-guide-and-taking-special-requests

Unfortunately the hair texture files I linked are removed on the updated forums but you can find most of the hairs or the barb specific fashion hair codes on this forum here... keep in mind custom eye textures and certain parts described here are only part of that game therefore they won’t work in the official pwi​​
    Post edited by heerohex#3018 on