Is the lore changing?

benfuf20
benfuf20 Posts: 9 Arc User
I remember the origin story of Perfect World like this: after separating the sky and the earth, Pangu tried to fill the world with life but the creatures became dark and malevolent, and so Pangu with the powers of wind and water, purified the world and killed all living beings. Then he tried again but gave the new creatures free will. The wraiths returned from the dead and so the new creatures has to unite against them.

Now I just started playing again, after years of absence I noticed that I got a 'Perfect Chronicles' book from one of the first quest givers. In the book the origin story is completely different and complex. Pangu died, his essence became new gods who created everything, the wraiths came from a dark realm/dimension, the new gods destroyed the old world and created the perfect one.

I'm kinda lost, can someone tell me what's happened?

Comments

• sjampie
    sjampie Posts: 624 Arc User
    The only real thing that happened in PWI is the charge- and spend rewards.

I used to read all stories but started a new character (today) just to check how things are changed. Quests are still the same, some locations changed and the game is still boring and addictive. ;)
  • danilo#4237
    danilo#4237 Posts: 62 Arc User
    No ideia never read and never will, ty.
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    edited August 2019
    I'm not much of a lore reader myself so I might be remembering things incorrectly. It does seem like as they've gone along and added to the lore that it has become inconsistent here and there. I know that having just Pan Gu as a god would make the lore for the Nightshade race and the Edgerunner class not match up since it refers to different gods or Divine Children. I did take a quick look through some of the lore we have on the PWI wiki and there is some that mentions multiple gods, like the Legend of the Lunar Glade, though I don't know if it's an official translation or fan-translated.

That said, there still is inconsistent lore that has existed for years. For example, there have been plenty of characters that have gender swapped or have different names - Grand Wizard Tensa was previously a male named Grand Wizard Tien. Neverfall, the capital city of the Western Steppes, was previously called Everfall and you can see many quests still use this name. Some lore gets omitted as well, like the Technician lore which was originally sexist.

We are missing quite a bit of lore in English and have for a long time, but with the Perfect Chronicles and the Divination in Adventure Kingdom, they've attempted to give us a bit more lore that was never provided over the years. I think a lot of the lore we do have in English is fan-translated, but nobody has been translating it for years so we're missing quite a bit of updated stuff. I even tried translating some lore for Twilight Temple Revisited part 2 and it took me a lot longer than I'd like to admit.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com