Old Character builds.

what's the best way to build an old fashion APS archer? I'm trying to build mine that way cause i love a lot of the older builds but not a lot of people do them anymore. what should i put my stat points towards? (other than R9) what gear's should i go after for APS? thanks for the help!

Comments

• prancing
    prancing Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Typically you'd want rank 8 for APS (minus interval)

You may want to get some rank 8 recast gear (rank8r) which can have interval on it as well.

THe more strength you have, the more dmg your fists should do. The more agility you have the more ranged bow dmg, evasion, and accuracy. SO typically you would want as little strength as you can use your gear then the rest agility.

I"d ask for some lunar of fc fists on the market, they shouild be cheap. Then you may want nirvana recast g16 fists which can have 1-3x interval and 40 attack level. Beyond these aps gear there are 2 sets that can be better. Warsoul, and homstead weapons.
    Post edited by prancing on
    m5arXCN.png
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    My bf used to be an APS archer so I asked him how he would build one, though he pretty much provided me with the standard APS build. There might be better builds or gear setups than what he's told me since he last played one several years ago. Do be aware you'll do less damage on some bosses with this build since they have a defense buff that reduces damage on auto-attacks.

First for stats, like the post above you want to have as much dex as you can. Just make sure to have enough strength to equip your claws/fists. Claws are recommended since they require less strength (146 str for claws, 150 str for fists). Strength doesn't stack with any masteries so you won't get much benefit from lots of it. Plus with the extra dex you'll still be effective with a bow. You'll still want to be able to equip one for various skills (like Blood Vow).

For gear, if you're not going the r9 path at all there's other options. For weapon as mentioned before claws are recommended as you'll need less strength to equip them. G16 Traceless Dimensions with -interval stat should do fine. For ornaments the TT99 gold pdef (heavy armor) necklace and belt are good since they have a -interval addon and you'll need the pdef. For armor, something like TT99 gold light armor wrists and boots, G15 light armor nirvana pants (doesn't matter whether you pick Lunar or TT), rank 8 top, and a Lunar Glade -interval cape. That build would get you to 3.33 APS or 5.0 APS with demon spark.

You can mix this up a bit as well like going for rank 8 recast pieces with -interval addons as they'll provide you with better defense but they can be a pain to reroll. If you do choose rank 8 recast stuff though that will be chest and boots I think.

I also recommend having a play around with pwi calc as well to tweak your build the way you want it.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • datsang
    datsang Posts: 163 Arc User
    obielle wrote: »
    First for stats, like the post above you want to have as much dex as you can. Just make sure to have enough strength to equip your claws/fists. Claws are recommended since they require less strength (146 str for claws, 150 str for fists). Strength doesn't stack with any masteries so you won't get much benefit from lots of it. Plus with the extra dex you'll still be effective with a bow. You'll still want to be able to equip one for various skills (like Blood Vow).

Dont really know what you mean by not stacking with mastery. How physical attack range works is [1(base multiplier) + (mastery) + x/150(x as in str/dex)] * weapon attack. If you got mastery or not, you get the same increase per each str as long as you got the same weapon attack. You would actually get better relative dmg increase w/o mastery from str but obviously having mastery you would do more dmg.
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    datsang wrote: »
    obielle wrote: »

Dont really know what you mean by not stacking with mastery. How physical attack range works is [1(base multiplier) + (mastery) + x/150(x as in str/dex)] * weapon attack. If you got mastery or not, you get the same increase per each str as long as you got the same weapon attack. You would actually get better relative dmg increase w/o mastery from str but obviously having mastery you would do more dmg.

Eh, it's what my bf was telling me when I was asking him about it and I don't think he knows too much about the damage multipliers. Unfortunately I don't know a ton about them either xD maybe he was just referring to "str doesn't really help with your bow mastery because that's for ranged weapons and they use dex, and you don't have a fist mastery like a BM would" but that's me guessing.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • dbfarmer1#6868
    dbfarmer1#6868 Posts: 92 Arc User
    lmao....aps archer wont do crappy high damage.and new instance are aps proof.
    ask kyo the sin aps'ing the reflect boss on iu... how does that do him...
    you can do your whole aps thing when you have g175th cast with hearbite rend it prolly will be worth while ..sprit blackhole is still good. aps'ing will require archers to proc their unique addon more than the damage.
    you can ask shinzoko for how to make a op toon feels like still squishy by having gof on bow and still get wrecked by def lvl db's...
    archers are very outdated.. even max geared feels like g16 version...
    they require an update...
    enjoy your outdated aps archer.. it might or it might now work. gl

stats you dont even need to ask.. its just dex all the way. high crit,high damage. all you need is dd anyway.
  • bakujirou
    bakujirou Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    APS Archer was always a bit strange to me since they never got Bloodpaint (at least from what I remembered).
    That said, an APS Barb is pretty fun since you can get Bloodpaint and still do decent damage. Demon Poison Fang can make up for the lack of Fist Mastery to a degree, and you can gain extra burst Crit chance from Strength of Titans or Onslaught after sparking. You can also wear a full NV3 Heavy set for tanking/pulling stuff.
    (Mine's not quite "finished" since I need an -int Tome like Pan Gu or w/e for true 5.0)
    [Etherblade] Euthymius
    Galefang [PWpedia]

CFvfwVj.png
  • andadina1
    andadina1 Posts: 41 Arc User
    bakujirou wrote: »
    APS Archer was always a bit strange to me since they never got Bloodpaint (at least from what I remembered).
    That said, an APS Barb is pretty fun since you can get Bloodpaint and still do decent damage. Demon Poison Fang can make up for the lack of Fist Mastery to a degree, and you can gain extra burst Crit chance from Strength of Titans or Onslaught after sparking. You can also wear a full NV3 Heavy set for tanking/pulling stuff.
    (Mine's not quite "finished" since I need an -int Tome like Pan Gu or w/e for true 5.0)

you can take the barb build further since they can achieve 5 aps with 3 rrr9 items and they have the extra 100 str for dmg from the set.
  • bakujirou
    bakujirou Posts: 48 Arc User
    andadina1 wrote: »
    you can take the barb build further since they can achieve 5 aps with 3 rrr9 items and they have the extra 100 str for dmg from the set.

Yeah, totally. Mine is just as such because I cant afford R9 as things are, so I guess it could be called a "budget" version.
    [Etherblade] Euthymius
    Galefang [PWpedia]

CFvfwVj.png
  • dbfarmer1#6868
    dbfarmer1#6868 Posts: 92 Arc User
    APS BARB... ANOTHER USELESS THING TO DO BY NP RB2 MAINS...lol.. try aps'ing on dh..