Worth Returning?

I played Perfect World back when I was in high school a TON... but that was around 2009. I haven't been on since because at the time my computer wasn't working well, then when I finally got a new computer SWTOR was coming out and I got that instead... I've been thinking about this game again lately and I've been thinking about rejoining, but because so much time has passed (almost 10 years, wow) I'm wondering if the game is still as alive now as it was back then, with the quantity of players. I'd like peoples' feedback please...

Also, if I do rejoin the game, I'd like to know what the best server is at the moment and what teams are good out there, who accept low level players. I was a decent level before (in the 80's I believe), however I would be starting from scratch at lvl 1. I might go onto a different server, but I'm not sure. If I use the same server then I can transfer all my items/money from my old characters to the new one... Anyway, please provide your input. thanks.

Comments

• dylandarkk1
    dylandarkk1 Posts: 64 Arc User
    Well to be honest a lot has happened for a span of 10 years. New class, new boundaries, new instances, new gears. In terms of what server you want to go to, they usually say it's best to choose the one that fits your timezone because there are some in game events that are time zone related. You wouldn't wanna go do some Nation Wars or Cross Server Territory wars where you have to be up midnight to early morning or something, would you? Also they have merged servers already. chances are you are on a new merged server on your old toon.

PWI is basically widening the gap for new players to reach the end game goal for players. It can still be fun if you casually play it but if you are competetive you might take a while even if you cash up in game. That's all. Try it out and see where it goes. Having friends in game makes it bearable though hehe.
  • fury85
    fury85 Posts: 277 Arc User
    If you like the game even worth to return. You will have alot of thing to do, no time to be bored :)
    Roar_King
    Level 105 Barbarian with Deity Stone
  • copy1#8039
    copy1#8039 Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    This game is nowhere like it was back then. Its like a different game.

Server, you pick the one that fits your timezone / ping best. It may not matter at the start but you'll thank yourself later if you continue to play for a long time and start catch up on everything.

What you had back in 2009 may not be relevant. Unless you had a lot of gold stocked up I wouldnt worry about your past fortunes.

To join a faction thats active you will (in general) need to be at least lv100 and rebirth. This game is dead in the early levels as everybody is high level now and all newer content requires lv100 rebirth.
    The good thing is, it is not as difficult to level as it was back then. There is newer quests with better exp and easy free good armor and weapon for levelling.

I would say your first goal should be getting to lv100 and then rebirth.
    COPY1
  • superboykk1025
    superboykk1025 Posts: 2 Arc User
    copy1#8039 wrote: »

What you had back in 2009 may not be relevant. Unless you had a lot of gold stocked up I wouldnt worry about your past fortunes.

I made a decent amount of money from selling gems... I also had several pets and vanity items
  • copy1#8039
    copy1#8039 Posts: 43 Arc User
    Well, I said may not be relevant. Maybe it is relevant? I dont exactly what you had, what pets and gems etc. Its just... In my opinion a fitting server is worth more than if you had lets say 200mil saved up. Worth way more than that. Trust me - I am on the wrong server myself.
    But it could also be that your fortune is on the right server that fits your timezone. You havent really given any details about that afterall.
    COPY1
  • gas2016#5086
    gas2016#5086 Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    ** deleted my comment **

reason: Post edited by phantomforce#4598 on September 1
    Post edited by gas2016#5086 on
  • sunlightfalls
    sunlightfalls Posts: 29 Arc User
    Unless you are playing to kill time and hang out with friends, It isn't worth returning as a competitive pker unless you have an unlimited credit card. At least thats my opinion.
  • thegreatarashi#9864
    thegreatarashi#9864 Posts: 24 Arc User
    Unless you are playing to kill time and hang out with friends, It isn't worth returning as a competitive pker unless you have an unlimited credit card. At least thats my opinion.

You should take a look at the top suggestion atm, it would be a way for anyone to enjoy PK at least for 3v3/6v6 stuff.
  • misanno
    misanno Posts: 53 Arc User
    copy1#8039 wrote: »
    Well, I said may not be relevant. Maybe it is relevant? I dont exactly what you had, what pets and gems etc. Its just... In my opinion a fitting server is worth more than if you had lets say 200mil saved up. Worth way more than that. Trust me - I am on the wrong server myself.
    But it could also be that your fortune is on the right server that fits your timezone. You havent really given any details about that afterall.

i was on harshlands, then it became the new EU server, major lag, 60k ping when im the only person in the area on the LOWEST SETTINGS POSSIBLE

switch over to etherblade, and oh, my god. major improvment, within 1month of time, i may have 1 hour of 500 ping the rest of the time is 50-240 ping,
    dawnglory, 200 packs, coins thats it
    etherblade, 200 packs, coins, gems, stones, charms, wings, lunar, mounts, i blame lag for not getting anything useful

"if you left the game before the merge, and you played on harshlands server, it is now the dawnglory server
    LEAVE YOUR TOON THERE, ITS NOT WORTH IT

• blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    Either you spend stupid amounts of money or completely no life it farming like ppl. If you spend 8+ hours on the game you’re basically a career player. If you are comfortable with either option it’s fully doable goodluck
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • dregenfox
    dregenfox Posts: 713 Arc User
    The game is not really that expensive if you plan to play seriously and devote time to it, $2000 should get you started in endgame pk, and it only takes like $4000-5000 more dollars to be top tier and be "endgame" finished. Maybe another few k's to round out your char if you're a perfectionist.

About as expensive as any other serious hobby but only you can decide if its worth it or not.
  • danilo#4237
    danilo#4237 Posts: 62 Arc User
    Yes, its worth, what should happen?
    But one thing no one can desagree, its all events is for who buy zen with realmoney, even now in the 10th anniversary, what good free thing we got?
  • gunter#5451
    gunter#5451 Posts: 68 Arc User
    Yes, its worth, what should happen?
    But one thing no one can desagree, its all events is for who buy zen with realmoney, even now in the 10th anniversary, what good free thing we got?

I play for a couple of months now; no need to spend real money unless you want to win during pk events. Personally idgaf about that since PWI is a game and I play for fun.
  • justdesserts#4226
    justdesserts#4226 Posts: 3 Arc User
    dregenfox wrote: »
    The game is not really that expensive if you plan to play seriously and devote time to it, $2000 should get you started in endgame pk, and it only takes like $4000-5000 more dollars to be top tier and be "endgame" finished. Maybe another few k's to round out your char if you're a perfectionist.

About as expensive as any other serious hobby but only you can decide if its worth it or not.

No shade meant but its amazing how jaded pwi players have become to the price of things in pwi that this comment is accepted as ordinary.

Spending 7k dollars top end does not equate to "the game is not that expensive" for me at all and probably not for the layperson either.

Even for other gamers. Games like overwatch that now have an eSports following where you could potentially make your career in. Your start up cost is what, 40$ for the game?

Wake up people lol
  • valdisman
    valdisman Posts: 568 Arc User
    No it isnt worth returning.

This game is exclusive cash game only. Its full of bugs, mandatory 20min DC and use of a amateur Arc platform, No support from devs or Gms, a constantly lowering playerbase..

Basically ANY OTHER mmo out there is better than this.
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
    In a world of 10s, be an 11.
  • tiddybonbon
    tiddybonbon Posts: 9 Arc User
    The game is not really that expensive $2000 should get you started in endgame pk.
    and it only takes like $4000-5000 to be top tier and be "endgame"
    but The game is not really that expensive.
    $2000 should get you started in endgame pk
    $4000-5000 to be top tier.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • gravewulf
    gravewulf Posts: 36 Arc User

This has got to be one of the best examples, of someone that has grown in a privlaged environment, that never learned the value of a good days work. Sorry to say pal, but your opinion is that of a very few. Most will laugh at this.

• heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,795 Community Moderator
    I always say "You have to try it to really know what your gonna think"

Im waiting for someone to get the reference to this but no one has yet. "A lot has changed since the last time you played" Gear wise new gears are coming so really no one knows how its gonna work.

Check it out with some friends their is a lot to do Solo and Instances.

Have fun enjoy the lower Lvs.

Thanks.​​
  • dregenfox
    dregenfox Posts: 713 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    gravewulf wrote: »

This has got to be one of the best examples, of someone that has grown in a privlaged environment, that never learned the value of a good days work. Sorry to say pal, but your opinion is that of a very few. Most will laugh at this.

I think most people are simply in denial of what kind of game this is, or incapable of making proper comparisons across game categories.

For a pure pay-2-win game like PWI, it falls right around the middle of the pack in terms of cost.

Games like LoL/Overwatch are not the same, because spending $10000 there doesn't instantly make you a top-tier famous player. You actually have to put in serious work and sweat to be competitive there, and then it's no longer a game - it's your job.

If you have $10000 to burn, you can spend it on a vegas vacation, or buy a boat and go sailing, or you could pimp out a character and wreak havoc on other people. All three examples will appeal to certain people. It's entirely possible for a person to spend $10000 on a boat and not have any fun with it if it's not the right type of entertainment for him.

If a person's fantasy is that he wants to be a strong, dominating fighter and protector in a social environment against other people, what options are there? In WoW you can farm for thousands of hours and still be just another statistic in a sea of players, or you could play PWI, devote yourself to a faction, form relationships with other players, then beat them to death with your +12 credit card.

I would argue that all the players devoting thousands of hours of their lives into LoL so they can be another anonymous low/mid diamond player while meme'ing their lives away on twitch hoping to attract more than 3 viewers, are sacrificing much more than the dude who drops $10k into a game so he can do whatever the **** he wants with friends/enemies and live out his personal fantasy.

The fact that you're playing PWI and haven't realized what kind of game this is and what sort of fantasy it is trying to appeal to in order to make money, well...speaks for itself.
  • wettstyle
    wettstyle Posts: 236 Arc User
    welp..above pretty well said.
  • eeepsilon
    eeepsilon Posts: 294 Arc User
    gravewulf wrote: »

I think most people are simply in denial of what kind of game this is, or incapable of making proper comparisons across game categories.

For a pure pay-2-win game like PWI, it falls right around the middle of the pack in terms of cost.

Games like LoL/Overwatch are not the same, because spending $10000 there doesn't instantly make you a top-tier famous player. You actually have to put in serious work and sweat to be competitive there, and then it's no longer a game - it's your job.

If you have $10000 to burn, you can spend it on a vegas vacation, or buy a boat and go sailing, or you could pimp out a character and wreak havoc on other people. All three examples will appeal to certain people. It's entirely possible for a person to spend $10000 on a boat and not have any fun with it if it's not the right type of entertainment for him.

If a person's fantasy is that he wants to be a strong, dominating fighter and protector in a social environment against other people, what options are there? In WoW you can farm for thousands of hours and still be just another statistic in a sea of players, or you could play PWI, devote yourself to a faction, form relationships with other players, then beat them to death with your +12 credit card.

I would argue that all the players devoting thousands of hours of their lives into LoL so they can be another anonymous low/mid diamond player while meme'ing their lives away on twitch hoping to attract more than 3 viewers, are sacrificing much more than the dude who drops $10k into a game so he can do whatever the **** he wants with friends/enemies and live out his personal fantasy.

The fact that you're playing PWI and haven't realized what kind of game this is and what sort of fantasy it is trying to appeal to in order to make money, well...speaks for itself.

Well, have to say that no matter how much I dislike how this game works nowadays, have to admit that what you say here is the true. In fact this is the main reason why I stop playing this game and now I only login now and then to chat with 2 or 3 people that still play.

To be fair with this game, this is not a pwi only thing, almost all f2p games out there are p2w, some worst than others.

But thing is that at least for me, I see no satisfaction, nor sense of achievement in beating someone with a credit card. As an old friend from this game told me in the past: "that is no different than using cheats or GOD mode on gta or any other game"

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that all p2w people are bad players, I know for a fact that there are a few skilled players among them, but when one person or a group of people have 10k + USD characters and all what they do is bully and one shot nabs, well that says a lot about those kind of players. And sadly that is the reality of your average OP pwi player. I know a few that even have multiple maxed, or close to maxed toons on multiple server, and they always end up in Nuema portal squad killing r9 + 10 or lower, or even g16 and then braging about it. Sad thing about this is that the only ones that believe the fairy tail of being cool and OP are themselves.

Nothing really against that kind of people but as I said before for me there is no fun in that.
  • magicsabre
    magicsabre Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    eeepsilon wrote: »
    To be fair with this game, this is not a pwi only thing, almost all f2p games out there are p2w, some worst than others.

Yes, indeed. These games are sources of income for sellers:
    While Perfect World originally states it is free-to-play, in order to have a chance to compete and experience the game fully, there is a need to charge substantial amounts of money. The game relies on items sold in an in-game cash shop to make profit.

See Perfect World and Pay-to-win mechanics for details.

P.S.
    As answer for main question of this thread you can use post of the heero200.

I played free-to-play part of the game myself (without pvp) up to level 90+ using Wizard as main character. It was long ago.
  • dbfarmer1#6868
    dbfarmer1#6868 Posts: 92 Arc User
    idk heroo ... i don't like doing "FARMING MATS" dungeon where you get 10 pieces of **** ... where you need 1500000 mats to even craft... that is called "DAY JOB".
    this game is a "DAY JOB"
    forum was supposed to be a communication between the game dev/people and players and somehow.. this forum is all about censorship by a person not even an employee of the game.
    with no communication with an employee of the game.. this forum is near useless.
    this game is closer to day job than a hobby..
    that sums it up... tc
  • watkyn#0587
    watkyn#0587 Posts: 1 New User
    Hello , so I came back a few days ago , but i couldnt find in any server my old account... Was it erased ? I started playing like 1 before the seeker class came out. Character name : Blakamaru , barbarian , was like level 30ish by that time , but with alot of items and gold... Can someone help me ?
  • wishes11
    wishes11 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    @watkyn#0587 There are currently 4 differnt servers, if none of theses servers shows a charater valiable when you enter the charater screen, double check you are loging on with the account 'Blakamaru' was created on. I know there can be some issues with players that loged in via facebook sometimes (rather than creating an account via email on the pwi site)

If you are sure that the account is the original one this barb was made on you can create a test charater on all 4 servers and when you are online at that char if you press 'o' it should show if you have any gold on that account on that server.

To be honest in the current state of this game hitting lvl 30 may take maybe 1 or 2 hours unless you use the instant 100 pill. Personly I advise you to lvl slowly up to maybe 80's and gradulay relearn the skills you get as you lvl up, or when you hit 100 and reborn, don't fast lvl up to 100, get up to lvl 99 and use the pill for instant lvl 102 and maybe 50%.

Bear in mind if want some easy coin rather quickly lvls 71~80 are when this is best via jolly old jones. Suprisingly lvl 100 doesn;t mean that much coin wise until your acturaly reborn and in somewhat decent gear.
  • bootlegger69
    bootlegger69 Posts: 33 Arc User
    save yourself the headache and aggravation and find a different game to play. After ten years of play and thousands of dollars and billions of coin spent to get to a point where I had a toon I was happy with, they have gone and taken all the joy and fun out of the game to the point of its just aggravating to play and there is no reason to continue.