2018 The Year PWI stopped being fun.

jamesmcd
jamesmcd Posts: 89 Arc User
Ok background first, I managed to get perfect attendance for 24 toons for 2017 (12 on main account and another 12 spread over another 6 accounts). So knowing about the Expiry on some of the annual rewards, I did not take the reward immediately. Comes 4th of Feb and I log in, the reward button that had been active on the 3rd was now inactive.

ALL SIGH IN DESPAIR please.

I put in a ticket and the reply a couple days later contains the following:

'Our team is aware of the issue as you have said and we are still looking into getting it fixed in a future update. Your account and the affected characters that you've listed has been noted for further investigation and kindly keep an eye out on the official forums for any updates regarding the matter.'

In short, yes there is a problem, but it wont be fixed soon!

Now comes the maint on 2/6/2018. I was late doing attendance for some reason, and only got 4 of my toons to log in. My fault totally. Can wear the blame for that, but it wrecks my perfect attendance for 2018 (yes I know I can get a absence note for 99 tokens each, but that is about 2m coins for each one I decide to get).

Now we get to the emergency maintenance on the 9th. I just now tried to log in in my normal fashion, cant log in. look at forums for any indication that server is down, and find the notice for the emergency maint.

Ok so dual clienting is disabled. My normal login that I have been using for 4-5 years or more, no longer works, I have to log in through arc, when I do that it ALWAYS verifies I have the up to date client. This in effect doubles or triples the time I take to do attendance dailies.

Extra time taken do perform a daily task....
Says it all a Task is not something that is fun to do.
More time taken = less fun.
Cant dual client = cant have one logging in while clicking attendance button on the other, or waiting to log out = EVEN LESS FUN.

Way back when I started, PWI was fun to play. That is no longer the case.

Sobbing over the various times I had enough throwaway money that I bought gold.

Weeping over the rrr9 that I have that I may no longer be using.

Playing a Nightelf Hunter on WOW seems to be the go, I love cats and it looks like I can have up to 4 cats following me if I am a hunter.....

This will possibly be my last post.

I will possibly only be logging back into game to say goodbye to the one friend I still had in game.

It had been fun, but no longer is worth the effort.

Comments

• limit1#4879
    limit1#4879 Posts: 75 Arc User
    rip pwi
  • jsxshadow
    jsxshadow Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    Personally, I don't mind the update at all. Logging everything takes a bit more time, true. But it also deleted alot of stupid botters and will be very good for the economy eventually. Also, with less FSP-Bots and a high demand in FSPCoins/C-Packs, it will be even more worthwhile to do jfsp now, which is exactly what I needed.

This update even made my life in PWI easier, if anything.
  • greenfire312
    greenfire312 Posts: 269 Arc User
    teabagg wrote: »
    I think the majority is used to the buy and get it now stuff and forget about the actual work for something mmo's are usually geared towards.
    I think we all know that ship sailed somewhere around 2009-2010 with buyable endgame gears. It then proceeded to hit an iceberg with "Frost Hyper Abuse" written on the side, before finally sinking in the Bay of Instant-100 Pills. :tongue:
    New faction rules to follow:

1.Boot long time inactive people (even your old friends that havent been on in ages)
    2.Make lvl req,RA req. etc to benefit your guild.
    3.Maybe make a low grade guild for people who are under the requirement for base loyalty activities.
    4.Make a loyalty req. per week/bi-week,if not met then boot.
    5.Try to balance the guild with time zones we have..or stick to zones that yo ucan actually play with other guildmates.

6.Be more aggressive and stop being a pansy and take on instances and stop worrying about random squads or being killed doing stuff..wimps
    I can appreciate that you're trying for a realistic tone with this, but if every faction did this, particularly the fourth one, you'd have peak faction consolidation and no casual player could ever manage to get into one - effectively locking all base content for far too many people. There's really no way to avoid it except for PWE to communicate to the devs that our version can't sustain this.
    Mains: Miugre / LigerKing
    Etherblade server
  • baseaddress
    baseaddress Posts: 202 Arc User
    jsxshadow wrote: »
    Personally, I don't mind the update at all. Logging everything takes a bit more time, true. But it also deleted alot of stupid botters and will be very good for the economy eventually. Also, with less FSP-Bots and a high demand in FSPCoins/C-Packs, it will be even more worthwhile to do jfsp now, which is exactly what I needed.

Look at this. You are used third-party program (autologin) and now you are talking about "easy life" :D

• rieihdius
    rieihdius Posts: 468 Arc User
    In my opinion this game stopped being fun by the end 2016 - begining 2017. When they start messing with the in game economy and nerfing pretty much everything that people could farm, during that same time also is when the game became way more grindy and even more money hungry than before, sure people may argue that it was hapening since long time before that.
    Reality is however that while is true that in the previous years this game had a lot of p2w and pay to speed up elements, it was still posible for a person that played the game a reasonable amount of time to catch up eventually and have fun.

But nowadays is more like, cash as more as you can, open as many keys/packs as posible, etc, etc.
    Don't get the wrong Idea, I understand that is a business and they need money, but at same time I play games for fun, not to one shot weak people and feel powerful, as many seem to play nowadays. Also I am not into to the whole gambling/ludopath stuff, that is why I just play this now casually and yolo :D
    If I was like some of my friends that still play this game (moderate cashers, ftp farmers), I probably would be very mad about how PWE/PWCN do their job, but since I am not...
    Of course what I am saying is more from a PVP perspective than pve. If a person is just pve, you can still have a few months of fun I guess.

• tolots
    tolots Posts: 103 Arc User

Hmm

A big part of demand for items just broke away with alts or trader shops become inacessible due arc defender for many people and only god knows how many coins, gold and items value was destroyed by this. Our whole economy is running on alts and what will happen now is a deflation. Trader will run out of coins and sit on the goods and potential buyers will not spending money because they wait for the prices to drop even future wich is paralyzing for the economy.

The cashers are still here and generate shop items from pack opening but not enough demand will meet their output. So yes, short term all items will become cheaper and gold price will drop. Longterm this will hurt pwi unless they find a solution very quick. It might be the best time to gear up for cheap but only if pwi will last long enough to enjoy that gear upgrades :)

• limit1#4879
    limit1#4879 Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2018

lol ..... u r one funny guy.. now i know why everybody hates you on your server including my brother who use to be your guildmate... hahaha FS COINS DIED OUT WHEN THEY CHANGED THE WAY YOU GET STUFF INSIDE. THE MARKET FOR IT WONT REALLY GROW NOW... IT WAY PASSED THAT. YOU CANt REALLY MAKE MONEY WITH 5 -8 coins... when the conversion of the item itself didnt change. BUYING FS COIN WILL MAKE YOU LOSE ITS VALUE BY HALF COZ YOU NEED 2 TO MAKE 1 ... PRETTY STUPID. REALLY. IF YOU ARE A THINKING PERSON REP IS EASIER TO MAKE TO 200K.. THEN AFTER THAT IF YOU DID MORAI DAILY YOU WILL HAVE THAT 300K REP IN NO TIME. FOR CPACKS.. CONSIDERING 70% OF THIS SERVER IS R9 I DOUBT PEOPLE WILL STILL BUY 500K CPACKS. (BEFORE AUGUST 29,2017 UPDATE I WAS SELLING CPACKS 255K EACH AND GETS SOLD WITHIN FEW MINUTES NOW I TRIED SELLING 255-300K STILL WONT SELL FAST I DOUBT SELLING IT FOR 500K EACH WILL DO IT. )

THERE IS NO FS MARKET..
    AS FOR THE NW MARKET.. NOT REALLY. SINCE PEOPLE ARE REALLY CHEAP STILL WANT TO BUY RAPTURES FOR 20K++ ONLY
    KINDA STUPID REALLY. U ALREADY GOT 10K EACH FROM GETTING THEM AND SELLING THEM RAW. WHEN YOU CRAFT RAPTURES YOU SPEND THAT 10K IN CRAFTING 1 AND SELLING IT TO GET 0-1K++ REVENUE... GOOD MARKET... GG.
    THIS GAME IS FINALLY DYING. JUST STAY THERE BE R9 WAIT A FEW MONTHS THEN POOF.. BYE BYE "INVESTMENTS" .... HAHAHA YOU SPENT YOUR LIFESAVINGS IN A VIRTUAL THING THAT IS NOT EVEN YOURS.....
    IN THE END.
    YOU ONLY WILL GET EMPTY POCKET/PURSE AND FEELING OF DISAPPOINTMENT. THAT YOU SPEND MONEY ON TRASH.. GOODNIGHT PWI. MAY YOU REST IN PEACE.
  • adrian#7201
    adrian#7201 Posts: 10 Arc User
    2018 the year it takes you a extra minute to log into you other multi client toons ...or be damn to actually try to work as a faction to get some loyalty points sheesh.I think the majority is used to the buy and get it now stuff and forget about the actual work for something mmo's are usually geared towards.

1.Boot long time inactive people (even your old friends that havent been on in ages)
    3.Maybe make a low grade guild for people who are under the requirement for base loyalty activities.
    5.Try to balance the guild with time zones we have..or stick to zones that yo ucan actually play with other guildmates.

6.Be more aggressive and stop being a pansy and take on instances and stop worrying about random squads or being killed doing stuff..wimps

Do you, actually think you're 100% right, and that everythign is okay?

Have you not noticed that west arch is down to 1/4 of its normal amount of catshops?

Have you not noticed a quieter world chat?

Do you not know anyone who the new manditory arc thing has locked out of their account?

Dude seriously. There aren't enough players left to balance time zones with! Unless ofcorse yer in one of the top 3 facs on the server, but for the other 7/8 of the players in PWI, this year's expansion has become a big problem.

Level requirements? So, open recruit factions are over then. Oh wait, naw, you said create a low level faction for the otehr memebrs you have that are to low to get loyalty points. That's perfect, that way they can have absolutely no direct line to you through faction chat to ask for help! Excellent, that way, those new players can be alone, not get helped, leave the game, and add to the mass exodus we're now facing...

Boot the people not making quotas! Excellent suggestion! You can just replace those people with *looks around* oh yeah, right, they've all left...

Gotta boot the inactives tho, that way people will be able to tell the game is dieing, every afction they join will only have the actives left on the line, all 5 of them.

If this was 5 years ago, and this happened, your suggestions might have worked. But we no longer have the player base to support those stratigies. Not tryin to be rude with the sarcasm, just tryin to drive home a point to the people who read this.

I put time, effort, and actual money into PWI, so asmuch as i hate to say this. Even is the base restrictions, and the manditory arc change happened today, the greater majority of the people who left, will never come back. Congradulations PWI, you took an expansion form PWCN, assumed it would be good, and just translated and used it. You have killed the game.

All those small "insignificant" factions that had no level requirements played a major role in helping keep what few new members we had joining the game nowadays. And you just caused most of them to disband or become inactive. New Players? Gone.

People who ahd been playing for a long time and decided to stick it out even after the expansion, those are the people getting locked outta their accounts. Anyone who recently aquired PWI probly already had arc installed. So the people who can't remember their old emails, or no longer have access to them, those were the die hard PWI fans. Old Players? Gone.

Seriously, no optimism or pessimism clouding my judgement right now. The reality is, new players, and old players have just taken a serious blow, west arch is growing vacant, and the people that left are to pissed to come back. Thank you for not rotating fields, and just growing in all of them at once, and leaving the ground barren,

Look within yourself and really think about it if you read this whole post. Can you actually say that i'm wrong? Or are you just holding onto somethign you love as it dies because you've been here from the beginning? Because that's what i've been doing, but i'm done.
  • rieihdius
    rieihdius Posts: 468 Arc User
    2018 the year it takes you a extra minute to log into you other multi client toons ...or be damn to actually try to work as a faction to get some loyalty points sheesh.I think the majority is used to the buy and get it now stuff and forget about the actual work for something mmo's are usually geared towards.

Do you, actually think you're 100% right, and that everythign is okay?

Have you not noticed that west arch is down to 1/4 of its normal amount of catshops?

Have you not noticed a quieter world chat?

Do you not know anyone who the new manditory arc thing has locked out of their account?

Dude seriously. There aren't enough players left to balance time zones with! Unless ofcorse yer in one of the top 3 facs on the server, but for the other 7/8 of the players in PWI, this year's expansion has become a big problem.

Level requirements? So, open recruit factions are over then. Oh wait, naw, you said create a low level faction for the otehr memebrs you have that are to low to get loyalty points. That's perfect, that way they can have absolutely no direct line to you through faction chat to ask for help! Excellent, that way, those new players can be alone, not get helped, leave the game, and add to the mass exodus we're now facing...

Boot the people not making quotas! Excellent suggestion! You can just replace those people with *looks around* oh yeah, right, they've all left...

Gotta boot the inactives tho, that way people will be able to tell the game is dieing, every afction they join will only have the actives left on the line, all 5 of them.

If this was 5 years ago, and this happened, your suggestions might have worked. But we no longer have the player base to support those stratigies. Not tryin to be rude with the sarcasm, just tryin to drive home a point to the people who read this.

I put time, effort, and actual money into PWI, so asmuch as i hate to say this. Even is the base restrictions, and the manditory arc change happened today, the greater majority of the people who left, will never come back. Congradulations PWI, you took an expansion form PWCN, assumed it would be good, and just translated and used it. You have killed the game.

All those small "insignificant" factions that had no level requirements played a major role in helping keep what few new members we had joining the game nowadays. And you just caused most of them to disband or become inactive. New Players? Gone.

People who ahd been playing for a long time and decided to stick it out even after the expansion, those are the people getting locked outta their accounts. Anyone who recently aquired PWI probly already had arc installed. So the people who can't remember their old emails, or no longer have access to them, those were the die hard PWI fans. Old Players? Gone.

Seriously, no optimism or pessimism clouding my judgement right now. The reality is, new players, and old players have just taken a serious blow, west arch is growing vacant, and the people that left are to pissed to come back. Thank you for not rotating fields, and just growing in all of them at once, and leaving the ground barren,

Look within yourself and really think about it if you read this whole post. Can you actually say that i'm wrong? Or are you just holding onto somethign you love as it dies because you've been here from the beginning? Because that's what i've been doing, but i'm done.

I have the feeling he was not being serious.

• jsxshadow
    @baseaddress No, I never used any 3rd party login Tool. Writing a Batch-File (might want to check what that is if you don't know but its a basic component of every windows OS) to just start the elementclient.exe is not using 3rd party. This ofc doesn't work anymore so I gotta login per hand what I want to login. Takes a bit more time, but it's under 5 min so I dont really care much. Since all my Accounts are created by myself I also have no issue with arc defender or anything. Welp. I am perfectly in tune with the current ToS. If I was using any sort of 3rd party tool and that for YEARS AND YEARS on end, don't you think I would've been banned by now? I do not get a free pass. I do not abuse anything. Sure, I do advertise this game with my youtube channel, but that's basically it and I never got any free-pass from PWE for this.

@limit1#4879 People are hating on me (not only my own server, but every server) because I am not afraid to tell uncomfortable truth and give no fork about their precious feelings. Still, I have more friends and fans than I have haters by a long shot, so a few delusional fools don't bother me at all.

The problem with you lot is that you are impatient af. When everybody was selling SoD for 50k, I had them in my shop for 250k and I sold tens of thousands of them, I still do, but only for 110k each, still nearly double as much as any other. Same as FSP-Stuff. I don't care if I instantly sell the items. I have time. Hence I will sell them for way higher than you do. Also, have you played the game recently? The demand for FSP stuff is higher than ever, at least on Dawnglory. Last night I put in 2k FSP-Coins in my Cat for 180k each and they sold within an hour...lol. I felt like I was way too cheap. Same thing with skills..I earn stupid money with just running EU daily..every skill book gets sold for 5m AT LEAST. Whilst some people just drop that stuff. Laziness is what I abuse, the only thing I abuse, really. People that cash for r9 want to be stronger quickly..they don't wanna spend hours skimming through cats and compare prices.

PS: Good for me that the cancer that was pwcats is finally down. No more price comparison on the fly and even more profit for me. The amount of items I've sold in 1 cat since the update...wow. So yeah, I meant it when I said that I am quite happy with the update myself. Might even be worth it to farm TT again, since there are loads less TT Cats on now. I still sold GBF for 9m, IS for 12m and GLP for 8m, now I might even be able to push the prices further, like the good old days <3
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    I really wonder what the numbers are currently of active players.
    And I do mean actual players. From the time to time that I do login on tideswell, it seems to be more dead each skip of time I do, even during what used to be active hours.

Then again i'm surprised people STILL need to buy older mats from TT and the likes, so I suppose something is done right?
    I wonder if they are new players or just alts then though.

Unless you either hardcore grind for days, actually make that weeks/months, or cash in, this game isn't very friendly to newcomers, and with each big update being pushed, it's being made less so.
    I wonder how much air PWI has left in it.
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• jsxshadow
    @dblazen1 Loads of games (current ones) are very unfriendly to newcomers. There is one with a desert, one with many revelations and one with souls and blades as an example and they might seem to be very newbie friendly but the grind/money you need to put in to reach absolute endgame gear even pales that of PWI by far.

Yes, the amount of players are steadily declining but as of yet, all the other games are just as flawed, they just run smoother and look prettier but still no reason to completely leave PWI behind. Maybe when we finally have the opportunity to get a Blessing online we might be able to move on :D
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    @jsxshadow it's the main reason why I abandonded MMO's in general, you either have to pick it up from the start so you can keep up, or it's a bust.

Recently I went back to souls and blades thing to see what's new there, but that is easier than ever when it comes to leveling and gearing up, the cross-server dungeon thing helps a lot too.
    End-game will always be a grind regardless of what you play, money is always a thing in F2P mmo's, unless you get really lucky which is also a possibility in souls blade.
    My luck there is also having 3/4 (3 that are basically online whenever they possibly can) insanely OP friends that can virtually run anything, but that's besides the point of this thread.

Problem with MMO's is that you either have to start from when it launches, or it's going to be boring or a grind to catch up.

back to pwi;
    I remember the good days of PWI, farming TT, farming Lunar.
    I've made a killer from lunar in its prime of getting gears and upgrading, because I found a way that no one was using, thus I was able to supply all the tinders needed.
    TT had a ton of competition, so that took ages to sell, specially compared to tinders.

Then updates started happening adding more and more daily grind that I and most of the people I used to play with simply did not have the time for to keep up. Add to it that server transfer is not an option and when I started playing EU server wasn't even live, I got to miss out on all the good events. That's not good for morale.
    I think if server transfer was an option, i'd be slightly more interested in coming back for some events, but that's simply not going to happen (anytime soon).
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• jsxshadow
    Yap, I also like to see more server merges. xNW will fall flat with only 2 Nations, but we need a denser population as the population of each server grows thinner and thinner and EU itself is the highest populated server. All the NA server feel kinda dead. Combine them to 1, add server transfer options and this game could be revitalized. It's so easy, really..
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind another server merge. If we specifically need to have 4 servers for cross-server events to work, PWE can set up ghost servers.

My ideal would be one US server and one EU server, with the ability to transfer your account to another server once. I suppose this leaves us with two options:

1. Merge Twilight Temple, Etherblade and Tideswell into one, and leave Dawnglory alone.
    2. Merge Twilight Temple with Etherblade, Tideswell with Dawnglory. I don't support this, but I wouldn't be surprised if PWE does it, since they already merged Harshlands with Morai (supposedly to balance the servers).

Let's be honest here, the game's population had declined a lot even before PWI Wonderland or the Arc changes. It's nothing like what we had in 2015 or 2016 after the first server merges. We also lost several players who quit due to the Faction Base changes, and now due to the Arc changes either because they dislike Arc or because they got locked out of their accounts. Some people may not be able to recover their accounts. We even had factions disband or retire, factions that had been around since 2008/2009.

The merge won't save PWI, but it will make the game more fun for most people that still play. Happy players will be more inclined to charge gold. I personally found the game to be really fun in 2015-2016 when my server was very active. It slowed down in 2017 and now it's becoming kind of boring in 2018.

​​
  • jsxshadow
    @catgirldesu But, a huge chunk of that boredom also stems from the fact that your gear is nearly maxed out. I've seen loads of people that just got their gear and then quit. If you take the progression out of this game..aside from some rare PvP-occurences..there is nothing to do, really.

I for one, if I would've skipped my alts and maxed out my Barb, SB or DB..I would've quit a long time ago. Heck, during the time my barb was one of the best geared players (for that time, pre-Nuema portal, since I was the first to have EU set on my server) I actually did quit. There was no challenge left, no one left to beat and thus no point in gearing up. I was gone for a while and then SBs were announced..the rest is history.

That's one of the reasons why people see me mocking the best geared players in this game. It's because they don't see how they destroy the game for themselves, trying to compete with anyone in terms of gear. Once achieved, they might be able to compete with a few..but every aspect of a challenge vs anything else is gone. I mock those people as a warning to anyone else to not overdo it, else they will just waste their money and time and then just quit, never to be seen again.

Might be the reason why I put those 8-Mains Shackle on myself. I got so many chars and desire to gear them further...I guess I play until the servers go down for good :D
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    @jsxshadow I've spent most of my years playing PWI while not being endgame. I also did plenty of PvP in non-endgame level gear, including at least a year's worth of TW/NW in Nirvana gear being a 1-shot. I don't see why I shouldn't play my final years as an endgame geared Venomaner. You might have noticed that I retired my Demon Venomancer (Desdi) to focus exclusively on Wyvelin. Although that's partially also because Neverfall made having a Sage and a Demon pointless. monkey-2.gif I would appreciate it if you don't assume things about myself, though. I don't play the game for PvP only, so gear has nothing to do with it. The people are more important to me.

​​
  • goldfinch47
    goldfinch47 Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    RIP PWI. Who will have the honor of turning off the lights?