Crown of Madness -> Crown of Apex Chienkun Stones?

Options
I read somewhere by @Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 on here that crown of madness could be upgraded to crown of apex without the use of chienkun stones and still keep the engrave/gems/refines. However, the forges ingame say that chienkun stones are required. I just want some clarification.

Comments

• dregenfox
    dregenfox Posts: 713 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Options
    +12 JoSD is around 700(?) chienkun? Not sure on the number...it might be lower. But it would be around a billion coins minimum for something that gives 0 noticeable benefit to anything except for the fact that the devs were too lazy to program in a set bonus for the upgraded cloaks.

I'll probably just re-refine mine given the fact that I already have way too many useless +10/+11 orbs in bank. Luckily I got my +12 on the first try so I won't lose too much. But not sure if I have enough +11's to do it a 2nd time. Others may not be so lucky...especially if they sharded JoSD. The cost is ridiculous.
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    Options
    Imo upgrading the helmet is worthless until you can get ATLEAST the 3rd cast g17 cape. The sheer cost in chienkun alone is much imo
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • dregenfox
    edited October 2017
    Options
    blazerboy wrote: »
    Imo upgrading the helmet is worthless until you can get ATLEAST the 3rd cast g17 cape. The sheer cost in chienkun alone is much imo

The issue is that there isn't supposed to be a chienkun cost in the first place. We shouldn't be expected to pay that much money for absolutely 0 change to our character.

For every other piece of equipment, if you pay a billion coins for a transfer, you get slightly stronger. PWI is just ignoring the issue atm because they know they can just extort money from the people who've already spent billions buying a CoM and upgrading it to +12 JoSD.

It's basically PWI telling us, "pay us this much or we will take away 10 attack levels from your character".
  • blazerboy
    Options
    I agree it confuses me aswell hence why I will never do it myself unless it became free
  • xdragonxx
    xdragonxx Posts: 39 Arc User
    Options
    I actually held off refining/sharding my crown until the apex was available just to not have that chienkun cost, so feels bad for whoever had a com refined/sharded beforehand
  • dregenfox
    edited October 2017
    Options
    xdragonxx wrote: »
    I actually held off refining/sharding my crown until the apex was available just to not have that chienkun cost, so feels bad for whoever had a com refined/sharded beforehand

I just don't want to set a precedent for this kind of behavior by PWI in the future, where you are forced to pay billions of coins in order to not downgrade a piece of your gear if you want to make progress on other pieces of gear.

I was fine with chienkun costs on things like matchless->WoA because it was a stat upgrade. But they could easily extend this to other sidegrades besides CoM like introducing a 20% chienkun cost on rerolling stats/procs on G17 or R9rr gears, and the players would still be forced to pay because they've already invested so much into the gear.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    Options
    When I asked the devs this exact question back on 5/23 this year when it came up -
    I have a question about the Arigora Colosseum upgrade for the Crown of Madness, Crown of Appex.

Can players transfer shards and refinements with Chienkun Stones, or do they lose shards and refinements when upgrading? And does this apply to other upgrades such as the rings and capes?

Thanks in advance for your time!

And the response from CN was -
    The shards and refinements can be transferred by Chienkun Stone.

So as far as I'm aware and what they've told me -yes shards and refines are transferable, but it sounds like its through Chienkun stone use.

Hope this helps!
  • blazerboy
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @kalystconquerer#0876 that doesn’t help in all honesty due to the fact it’s a complete ripoff to pay to keep the exact same thing that you already have just including the set bonus. But hopefully CN can look into this because it doesn’t make sense
    Post edited by blazerboy on
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    Options
    Ah I was just posting this because it seemed (?) as if people were having confusion as to if they was a Chienkun Stone transfer or not, so wanted to confirm this was a thing. I didn't have the merit to check this at the time, so I had to ask them.

I'm honestly not sure why that's a thing @blazerboy but I'm glad that they didn't make it to where it got rid of everything, no matter what without any way to preserve it. Probably one of the many things I can ask them about.
  • scruncy
    scruncy Posts: 458 Arc User
    Options
    The problem is not that you need Chiekun stones. Thats ok.
    Whats not ok isthe price for those stones. They should be 1/100 of the price of what they are.
  • dregenfox
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ah I was just posting this because it seemed (?) as if people were having confusion as to if they was a Chienkun Stone transfer or not, so wanted to confirm this was a thing. I didn't have the merit to check this at the time, so I had to ask them.

I'm honestly not sure why that's a thing @blazerboy but I'm glad that they didn't make it to where it got rid of everything, no matter what without any way to preserve it. Probably one of the many things I can ask them about.

Here's the situation with the Crown of Madness though. The COM has a set bonus that gives +10 attack levels when combined with Wings of Ascension. The new upgraded arena cape does not have this set bonus, which means that upgrading the gear actually results in a downgrade for your character. It's really un-intuitive.

"Upgrading" the helm without upgrading the cape first does absolutely nothing and gives no stats or any benefit at all.

In order not to get weaker after upgrading your gear, you're forced to upgrade CoM into the exact same helm, except with the set bonus removed and +10 attack levels manually added to Crown of Apex. If you have *any* other helm in the game, you don't have to do this.

What the devs should have done is to keep the set bonus intact when upgrading the cape. But instead they decided to remove the set bonus, while at the same time forcing players to pay to remove the set bonus. It's just ridiculous and a big slap in the face to players who decided to spend big money on PWI to invest in their characters.

The only reason this isn't a bigger issue is because only a very few players have a CoM, which means it only affects the major cash shoppers/merchants.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    Options
    @scruncy To a certain degree, CN dictates the prices. I've been able to successfully drop them a bit lower when they're put into the VIP section, but because they serve a dual function of refinement aid and transfer, I don't know how much more I can push them down in price without them saying "no, they can't go below x".

@dregenfox I can't pretend to know the reason why the devs decided to go this route, so you've got me there. That's just something I'd have to ask them about, but having it changed now in a "universally accessible area" is not something they'll do.
    i.e. removing this requirement directly in the forges that are "shared" across all versions.

Either I have to request something version specific for us in our own forges or make Chienkun Stones more accessible/available in charge and spend promos. Its just really depends on where things can be fit inside their dev cycle for us and what solutions we can come up with. Either way, it won't be an immediate change.
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I think CN must have updated the recipe at some point before it arrived here but I'm not sure when. When the content was first added to PWCN I remember that recipe having no Chienkun cost (though I can't rule out me making a mistake). There is also now a Chienkun cost in transferring engraving and I think that's new too.

@kalystconquerer#0876 I think we also need even more aggressive Chienkun sales to put us on par with PWCN. In PWCN a Chienkun is the same price as a lv1 dragon orb but in PWI level 1 dragon orbs are worth like 0.06 gold on sale while an on sale Chienkun was only recently lowered down to 0.225 gold. Maybe 0.1 gold would make more sense.
    ​​
  • unholyalll
    unholyalll Posts: 14 Arc User
    Options
    asterelle wrote: »
    I think CN must have updated the recipe at some point before it arrived here but I'm not sure when. When the content was first added to PWCN I remember that recipe having no Chienkun cost (though I can't rule out me making a mistake). There is also now a Chienkun cost in transferring engraving and I think that's new too.

@kalystconquerer#0876 I think we also need even more aggressive Chienkun sales to put us on par with PWCN. In PWCN a Chienkun is the same price as a lv1 dragon orb but in PWI level 1 dragon orbs are worth like 0.06 gold on sale while an on sale Chienkun was only recently lowered down to 0.225 gold. Maybe 0.1 gold would make more sense.
    ​​

im pretty sure your post back then mentioned that we can transfer SHARDS for free, not the refine.
  • dregenfox
    edited October 2017
    Options
    teabagg wrote: »
    look if you can afford to buy r9 and + it to death and other stones and ornaments and + those to death...uhhhh you shouldnt be complaining about anything since your like full of cash..just get a little more student loan or a new credit card it will help.

I know this issue doesn't affect poor people like you, but coins aren't the issue here, the issue is that the game is trending towards tacking on extra charges because they know customers will pay for it.

In this case the helm was originally free-transfer but some exec somewhere decided that even recasts that don't provide an upgrade should have high transfer costs. It would be the same as if they suddenly required chienkuns for recasting G16 gears in warsong (which probably would affect you).

• asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I went back through some old PWCN patches to confirm things and it was indeed originally introduced at 0 chienkun cost there and was later increased to 0.4. This change happened somewhere between patch 2249 and 2373.

Proof here

By the time it came here though it was already 0.4 so it was never increased after it was introduced here. It's a bit silly for this particular recipe to have a chienkun costs since the stats don't change and all what you are doing is shifting the set bonus with the cape into the helm itself. Still there would be no reason to think the cost of this recipe was increased without that early info I provided so that's partly my fault.
    ​​
  • matthew4
    matthew4 Posts: 373 Arc User
    Options
    How many need chienkun on upgrade new Helm ? And why CN use chienkun on to