New Server to 2008 PWI (Reboot)

lightcrystal
lightcrystal Posts: 1 Arc User
I am proposing that PWI creates a nostalgic (reboot) server for the game period between the years of 2008-2010, when PWI saw great success and popularity amongst the online players.

This would revitalize the game and bring back many of the old players who left due to the many changes that caused the game to be in its current state (DQs being marked down to 1 coin, the ease of obtaining R8/R9 gear from the cashshop, and the rampant inflation of the gold market to absurd prices that made many F2P players to simply give up and quit the game).
The game was loved by the community because it offered challenges and fun in both PvP and PvE. Bringing back an older version of the game with limited cashshop commodities would greatly benefit PWI and the community that misses the old playstyle.

Recent reboots by games such as Maplestory, ArcheAge, and Runescape has shown great success, why shouldn’t PWI follow suit and give it a go?
Tagged:

Comments

• hmfou
    hmfou Posts: 2 Arc User
    I 100% would love to see something like this happen! I started playing back in 2009 and left pwi because it got to complex and the challenge of playing became too easy. I would play this in a heart beat
  • raycap
    raycap Posts: 11 Arc User
    +1, Totally would love to play Perfect World again back to its former glory, the old patches before the changes to DQ's we're great, The addition to the game aren't that bad but in the character progression aspect, the game heavily relied on the P2W aspect. A reboot server would be excellent for new players who knows the Arc Games, also to the older players feeling nostalgic, returning to the game would be easier and not much of a problem for the new players mentality of "P2W game". A reboot of PWI with all the classes or rotation of classes, cashshop available to be bought with IN-game currency, previous patches that resulted good reviews, and the option for current players to transfer a "limited character" from the original servers permanently moved to the reboot server if they wanted to. I think it would be a great success and I would definitely come back playing this game. Easy, relaxing, enjoyable game. Where the small fishes can swim with the whales in the ocean without being hindered.
  • jungleboy
    jungleboy Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    back to the time before it was a cash shopping monstrosity? sure, im all for it!
  • dingo488
    dingo488 Posts: 936 Arc User
    2008 gameplay? but we alrdy have all these ''new'' MMORPGs coming out with 2008 gameplay.
  • cieflyex
    cieflyex Posts: 1 Arc User
    Would totally play it. I could even bring a bunch of friends with me that are not playing anymore.
  • turt101
    turt101 Posts: 1 Arc User
    Great Idea :) i have been a member since 08 and it would def bring older members/players like my self who fell in love with the original concept of pwi back

+1
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    I am proposing that PWI creates a nostalgic (reboot) server for the game period between the years of 2008-2010, when PWI saw great success and popularity amongst the online players.
    Oh yay, nostalgia people.
    First off, a little info:
    PWI is the game. It can't create a reboot server.
    PWE is a publisher, it can't just go and make a reboot server without PWCN's go-ahead.
    PWCN is the developer

This would revitalize the game and bring back many of the old players who left due to the many changes that caused the game to be in its current state (DQs being marked down to 1 coin, the ease of obtaining R8/R9 gear from the cashshop, and the rampant inflation of the gold market to absurd prices that made many F2P players to simply give up and quit the game).
    I hardly think so. Why would people want to do things all over again for nothing?
    If you keep the cashshop, it will just go rampant again, what will change about that? Packs were a thing back then as well.
    It'd be the same mess, economics wise, as the servers are now within a very short amount of time, unless you take out a lot of cashshop items. And guess where most of the revenue for PWE comes from? Exactly, they won't remove that.

The game was loved by the community because it offered challenges and fun in both PvP and PvE. Bringing back an older version of the game with limited cashshop commodities would greatly benefit PWI and the community that misses the old playstyle.
    No, this is just your nostalgia kicking in. Define "Limited cashshop" and think about if people will actually want to buy anything from it. If the answer is no, then where's the profit in making this kind of server? PvE was never a challenge if you actually knew what you were doing, you're just going to slow down everything for the sake of MUH NOSTALGIA.
    I honestly do not think an old version of PWI would make people happy in the long run. At the start people might go for it,
    only to realize what a slow boring grindfest it will be to get anything done.

Recent reboots by games such as Maplestory, ArcheAge, and Runescape has shown great success, why shouldn’t PWI follow suit and give it a go?
    You can hardly compare the playerbase those games have to PWI's playerbase. And ArcheAge reboot? Lol that game isn't even old at all, if they already needed to reboot that just means they did something horribly wrong (just like a certain version of the last fantasy fourteen, that launched as a literal disaster.

You're all just having a case of nostalgia goggles syndrome.

What PWI needs is:
    * Balance to the force
    * Update IT'S **** ENGINE HOLY **** CHINA IT WAS SAID YEARS AGO THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, **** YOU
    * Active GM's! But yeah, PWE lol.
    * Less daily grind to keep up.

At least, that's my opinion on it. I wouldn't go back to a nostalgia server of PWI even if they gave me money to play it.​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• yoyohoho
    yoyohoho Posts: 34 Arc User
    i actually think this is a great idea too.
    But i'm not sure once people start playing and reality hit just how god damn hard it was to level. particularly 60-80... oh my days remember zhen squads and nit getting in unless you could perma aoe or heal D:
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    I personally wouldn't play mainly because of the amount of work it would take but curious to see if the server would get any hype
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • warpedvoid
    warpedvoid Posts: 11 Arc User
    You know i've always liked pwi even the fact that it's a heavy p2w i always came by and still had fun,its a great game really.
    Lately iv'e been thinking about how runescape went back to it's roots and made a oldschool server bringing back tons of players and even destroying the population of private servers it also took me away from pwi in 2013. Having a old server splitting the community away from runescape 3 and reinventing it's self to what people loved and what they could ask for in the polls. You might not know what i'm even talking about but picture pwi in it's prime id say about when tiborns came out. Imagine a fresh seperate server where things would be different from the others and updates never took place giving old time players and returning players a fresh start in nostalgia. Maybe it could even be farther from that where demon aps archers were the kings of pvp,i looked up to that moment. Perfect world most likely won't do a update like this. I don't think they would gain that much i'm not sure how much money bouquet made from those days compared to now. I just miss my friends,old clans,and how bossing went. I wonder how pwi could handle such a task on like runescape 07 did and if it would really bring back a large amount of old players. Mmorpgs are dying i'm going to miss them. (yes,runescape is a different game )
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    warpedvoid wrote: »
    You know i've always liked pwi even the fact that it's a heavy p2w i always came by and still had fun,its a great game really.
    Lately iv'e been thinking about how runescape went back to it's roots and made a oldschool server bringing back tons of players and even destroying the population of private servers it also took me away from pwi in 2013. Having a old server splitting the community away from runescape 3 and reinventing it's self to what people loved and what they could ask for in the polls. You might not know what i'm even talking about but picture pwi in it's prime id say about when tiborns came out. Imagine a fresh seperate server where things would be different from the others and updates never took place giving old time players and returning players a fresh start in nostalgia. Maybe it could even be farther from that where demon aps archers were the kings of pvp,i looked up to that moment. Perfect world most likely won't do a update like this. I don't think they would gain that much i'm not sure how much money bouquet made from those days compared to now. I just miss my friends,old clans,and how bossing went. I wonder how pwi could handle such a task on like runescape 07 did and if it would really bring back a large amount of old players. Mmorpgs are dying i'm going to miss them. (yes,runescape is a different game )

Not gonna happen.
    giphy.gif

• warpedvoid
    warpedvoid wrote: »

Not gonna happen.

I feel like your post is just dull if you arent going to explain why it wouldn't.
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    I have good memories from playing PWI in 2008 and 2009, but that had to do with having an active and friendly community, real life friends playing with me and the novelty of exploring the game and leveling up to 100 for the first time.

I personally wouldn't be interested in a 2008/2009 PWI server. The initial nostalgia and curiosity will wear off really fast and all I will be left with is a long grind, dull quests and trying to play a game that's missing a lot of great quality-of-life features. Most, if not all, people interested in such a server are players that started PWI during those years, but these same players are adults now and maybe they are even married and have kids. As such, I expect most of these players wouldn't stick around in the long run.

It's also true the MMORPG genre is declining, but I believe this is because the genre has become really stale and there hasn't been anything truly unique to breath life back into it. There are also far too many MMORPGs out there and the players are split among different games.
    ​​
  • warpedvoid
    I have good memories from playing PWI in 2008 and 2009, but that had to do with having an active and friendly community, real life friends playing with me and the novelty of exploring the game and leveling up to 100 for the first time.

I personally wouldn't be interested in a 2008/2009 PWI server. The initial nostalgia and curiosity will wear off really fast and all I will be left with is a long grind, dull quests and trying to play a game that's missing a lot of great quality-of-life features. Most, if not all, people interested in such a server are players that started PWI during those years, but these same players are adults now and maybe they are even married and have kids. As such, I expect most of these players wouldn't stick around in the long run.

It's also true the MMORPG genre is declining, but I believe this is because the genre has become really stale and there hasn't been anything truly unique to breath life back into it. There are also far too many MMORPGs out there and the players are split among different games.
    ​​

Thank you for your time to comment I appricate it. About the sticking around part I disagree,im still going to use oldschool runescape as a bible for example and say people would stick around. Pwi is one of those rare gems that compete with WOW and won for a bit. You mentioned the MMORPG community is split but think about how many of the OGS would come back from whatever they are. Also I don't think the nostalgia would wear off,as long as they keep the community together and maybe poll.
  • coopoor
    coopoor Posts: 50 Arc User
    pwi game is in such bad shape a server reset with PWI fixing all the issues is needed. I am getting real tired of putting in ticket after ticket on play matters. Please fix your product pwi. :) I can find someone who will.
  • nightmare201
    nightmare201 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    So I'll start out by saying we had a post nearly identical to this only a couple days ago, but oh well. On to the discussion:

PWI was never and will never be bigger then WoW. No way was it beating out WoWs numbers back in '09 or '10. And using Runescape for any sort of discussion for this is a logical fallacy because runescape is unique in that there's a full and complete way to play that game for free and do at least fairly well from your own work. PWI hasn't worked like that in a very, very long time.

Case in point, you mentioned that you'd like it if the "Nostalgia server" was set shortly after Tideborn came out. That is arguably one of the worst points for PWI since sins and psychics were unequaled in their power. That was also when packs were becoming hell on earth for f2p players because suddenly gear wasn't only available by farming for it. So unless PWI just doesn't implement the cash shop system (not gonna happen) into this, it'll end up being a broken as it was back then.

To draw back to the Runescape comparison, the only cash shop system runescape has (as far as I know) is membership and the bonds system due to membership. The game is very balanced in that regard because short of spending money to get coin via bonds, you don't have any explicit way to get ahead. And a good portion of the gear you can get with said coin is also available to free players by purchasing with coin/making themselves. PWI attempted to have this in a way, since the stuff that came out of the packs could also be gotten via grinding, but r9 completely screwed that idea because, short of straight up purchasing it from players who bought the ingredients, there is no way in-game you can get r9. The Medals of Glory are so rare you almost certain to not get them, and good luck trying to farm for the amount of mysterious chips you'd need.

All of this to say that, while I will be one of the first to tell you that I absolutely loved playing PWI back in the day, I cannot ever see a nostalgia server/old school server doing well to any degree. The game just wasn't balanced properly back then.
  • orangeitis
    orangeitis Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I'd be happy if we just got active people in the low- and mid-level zones again. I miss sqadding on-site for lowbie BHs and FBs.

But y'know, we gotta have pill babbies for some reason.