Which class is better in pvp; Archer or SB?

bhaven
bhaven Posts: 45 Arc User
Please give your opinion and explain. I have one of my own at the moment but I would like to have a general consensus from multiple experts who have actually played archer.

Comments

• dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    I don't have much to contribute to this thread, but honestly how is this even a question?
    the answer is SB​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• jsxshadow
    jsxshadow Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    Like I've said: It heavily depends.

But, sure, I will state it here again.

In 1v1 direct matchup Archer vs SB the archer will have an advantage if both are geared towards max damage cause Charm-bypass comes easy as an archer on squishy targets. You have to know how to counter a Storms shenanigans to stay alive long enough to even get the chance but it's not like it's impossible.

If the SB is too tanky then you will most likely get caught in a massive debuff combo and die in 1v1 without much chance to counter. Same goes vs nearly any class if you are an Archer. If the Damage is right you can kill anything, even DBs (tho you would need ultra damage for that). What I can say is that Archer have trouble vs very tanky classes whilst a SB has the chance to kill any other class very fast in a 1v1 if you manage to get the full debuff combo through. However, the combo is so easily countered and more often then not the SB can find herself trying desperately to survive for 5 minutes to try again or get caught in a combo (any class has a combo to kill a SB, vastly more available compared to SBs combo) and die. As an Archer, if you can barely hit 10k crits with metal debuff on a 60k HP barb that also uses HoS, SS and AD/Faith then you are screwed...cause you will not win the fight unless you sneak in a Trip Sparked BV followed by an all crit ZTP-Combo while the barb is CCed and doesnt have SS/HoS or anything ready.

For Mass-PvP it heavily depends on chance but I would go with SB as purge is very unreliable. However, a perfect purge can get ppl killed pretty fast.

Archer also are heavily underestimated atm and thus function as some sort of wild card. Most ppl/squads will focus on the class they deem the most dangerous first, giving the archer some breathing room and actually enables him to do something. With the next culti the average Archer DPS (esp the metal damage) will rise quite a bit and thus the damage as well.

If I had to chose between a max geared GoF SB and Archer then I would take the archer any time of the day. Why? Because archer is more fun to play, especially after the latest update. Massive boosts, less chance based CC. I really like it.

People will underestimate a class for only that long until they get facerolled by it again and again. People deem SBs OP because they get caught in a vortex and die or get caught in the max Debuff combo and die. But what is left after that, especially in Mass PvP? Endgame geared ppl don't die from just spamming skills while moving as long as they are buffed or you massively outgear them. If a storms debuffs are gone then they are gone for 3/5 minutes...lol. Try to survive that long when you get focused. Vortex is also nearly useless if you don't have any follow up.

Just because something CAN be OP doesnt mean that it is OP at all times. A GoF Archer with enhanced, argent Metal Skills and combo if range/damage decrease leaps is way more viable in small scale PvP than a stormbringer.

You guys can't tell me that I don't have experience as a storm or Archer. I play both for quite a long time and let me tell you this: An Archer is more flexible and lasts longer than a storm could if played correctly + also taking into account that most ppl will focus SBs more than Archer. Furthermore, SBs are slow (in terms of cast) and squishy, Archers DPS will be alot better, shorter CDs, way more flexible, more available save skills (WoG, Leaps, Stealth, Evasion (yes BotC helps ALOT vs Duskblades)).

People still think archer is the weakest class? Welcome to #2k17

I have to admit tho..GoF is friggin broken for Archer.

PS: All assuming that the Argent Glyphs work comparably to Take Aim. If they don't and the damage is reduced significantly then...well xD wouldn't make archer ultra-weak but I was looking forward to those skills very much :(
  • ororo14
    ororo14 Posts: 8 Arc User
    @jsxshadow
    So basically at an Endgame level with equal gears current meta EAs will outshine SBs in mass any day of the week. Is Sb good for anything these days? Predictable and easily block-able combo in 1v1s and dies too much from hardly any focus in mass. Where exactly does the class fit? Go sz every 5mins while ulti is in CD?
  • keihan007#7641
    keihan007#7641 Posts: 1,190 Arc User
    jsxshadow wrote: »

Archer also are heavily underestimated atm and thus function as some sort of wild card. Most ppl/squads will focus on the class they deem the most dangerous first, giving the archer some breathing room and actually enables him to do something. With the next culti the average Archer DPS (esp the metal damage) will rise quite a bit and thus the damage as well.

I cant speak for others but I personally seem to get focused hard, always have been. I dont really feel the focus I get is justified, I`m not deity yet hence dmg isnt that much. Its not even just a Et thing where purge classes get ganked instantly but I seem to be getting more focus even in 3v3 arena than my team mates. This is obviously biased view from personal experience but the only times where I feel like I have room is in TW/xTW with distinct frontlines.
    BlackList vs Frenzied 3/17

https://youtu.be/RkkWkigYd3k
  • bhaven
    bhaven Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    saxroll wrote: »
    I cant speak for others but I personally seem to get focused hard, always have been. I dont really feel the focus I get is justified, I`m not deity yet hence dmg isnt that much. Its not even just a Et thing where purge classes get ganked instantly but I seem to be getting more focus even in 3v3 arena than my team mates. This is obviously biased view from personal experience but the only times where I feel like I have room is in TW/xTW with distinct frontlines.

It's the same for me. I'm usually first to be focused and first to die and I am by no means the best nor weakest geared in my squad. I agree that in xTW/TW there's far more space to move around and hide behind melee meatshields. But this goes for every ranged class SB included. The mass AOEs SB's have in this situation plus purify spell i feel gives this class the upperhand though. In 1v1 equal gears though there's no contest. Unless you can show me some mathematics that proves otherwise then I am inclined to base this on my experiences and what I have seen with other archer vs SB fights, and the general trend is that SBs win. With GOF it's a different story ofc but when both have GOF the dps of an archer is somewhat more of a disadvantage due to the health cost. Arcanes will not have this drawback.
  • jsxshadow
    jsxshadow Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    That's why I said a direct confrontation between SB and Archer depends on both players gear and experience. The more damage a SB can take the higher the chances that the SB wins. Why? If you get hit by a storms full combo without having any genie to counter ready you are dead 100%. You have Oxygen Bubble, Faith, AD, HoS available to stay alive vs a Stormbringer. If you can deal enough damage while you have the ready then the archer should have a pretty easy time with the Storm.

A majority of people also have issues vs certain classes because they panic and waste genie way too fast and thus bring themselves in situations in which they can find themselves defenseless and especially when fighting a class that can potentially reduce your def to 0 (or close to 0) you should be very careful. Full deity Archer with only slightly better gears than my SB can easily hit me for 10k crits outside of reaper form/def charms...That's literally one SA + Quickshot + TA (interrupted) followed by Frost Splash and the fight is over if Purify doesnt proc up until splash...Very tough I must say xD Archer also outrange SBs most of the time and can stay immune to a storms movement debuffs for a very long time.

In general, full damage mode is where archer shine the most. If you barely deal 5k's on a caster without any buff then you will have alot of pain. You can still win but it's not as easy. When you are fully debuffed it doesnt really matter if you are jaded or full deity..you die oneshot anyways.

In the end in comes down to who is more experienced fighting both of the 2 classes. There are counters to everything, yes, but countering very high DPS is way harder then countering just a few debuffs every 3/5 minutes.