Contests, are winners chosen before they enter?

I have watched many contests in PWI, winners seem to have a common denominator - they spend a ridiculous amount of cash and have ties with GM's. PWI states it has no governing body over contests and that they are sponsored by different parties.

The moment PWI publishes the winner list they are consenting and a part of said contest. I ask that PWI do an honest review of the latest contests for possible tampering and unfair judging.

Comments

• soulstormer
    soulstormer Posts: 61 Arc User
    some of the results for the recent contest was just rediculous. I'm not saying that there were clear winners, but some of the winners were clearly not deserving of a podium spot when compared to the other entries.
    A criteria that the results was scored against was posted and I've already requested a score of mine just to use as a reference. Would have been nice to know the scores of the winners and compare but I doubt they will ever post that :sweat:
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    Ive won (like 5th place i think a long time ago) and i neither spend an excessive amount nor know any gms. Im not saying your post is unfounded or wrong, just that if there is any truth its not all encompassing.
  • maifah
    maifah Posts: 20 Arc User
    I totally agree. I spent ridiculously amount of cash but I didn't win. I demand a revote!
    :/:s
    Maifah
  • correctfallacy
    correctfallacy Posts: 8 Arc User
    I was one of the grand-prize winners for the Cinco de Mayo contest last year, and I am not a huge cash shopper nor do I personally know any GMs. Being that your sample size is not exceptionally large, in terms of there being few contests, I don't see any reason to suspect foul play at this point at all. Everyone has different tastes in terms of art etc, so what one person views as a winner in a contest could be quite unappealing to the eye of another.
  • draco5787
    draco5787 Posts: 38 Arc User
    Just let the community decide the winners based on Criteria, popular vote and such. There problem solved
  • correctfallacy
    correctfallacy Posts: 8 Arc User
    @draco5787 Having a popular vote really wouldn't be that fair at all. That could end up becoming a "how many people do I know that I can get to vote for me" contest.

I don't really see any problem with the current system.
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    draco5787 wrote: »
    Just let the community decide the winners based on Criteria, popular vote and such. There problem solved
    They did that once. Everyone bitched about the criteria, the popular vote, and basically whatever else they could think of after it was over.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    Hello!

I've actually been busy scoring all the Easter Egg design competitions and haven't been able to get around to submitting scores from the last contest. I'll try and come back to the office earlier tonight for maintenance and see if I can start PMing them out!

The issues I've seen crop up with voting by the players is always some variations of - 1) its rigged 2) GM's tampered with it (even if we were to run strict one IP/one cookie surveys) 3) only the popular players win (the loudest, the most well known) "not based on any real talents" etc. 4) not everyone uses FB/forums/ would have known about the vote/criteria too strict for the votes.

If I were to do a mixed sort of judging scheme (for example - Our judging and then putting it to a vote and then taking that and combining that together for overall winners), it would still fall to the usual trappings of the listed issues above. I'll take a look at how these two contests fared under the new criteria I've set out and if we need to further improve the methods, then we can do so!

I would rather avoid turning it into something of a rigid "art competition" judging model where you actually get back comments based on the assigned scoring as I feel like this opens up people getting hurt by what is, at the end of the day, something that has subjectivity to it. I don't envy those who judge things like AP Art portfolios or Artists Alleys for some of the toughest to get into shows.