Scheduled Server Maintenance - Neverfall Expansion [4/12/2017 - 10 PM PST]

Comments

• irmoose
    irmoose Posts: 72 Arc User
    Neat, thank you. I'll still do a few old BHs if people run them after this.
  • deathsembrace#6917
    deathsembrace#6917 Posts: 26 Arc User
    irmoose wrote: »
    There's a change to the 100 BH? Are we losing instances again?

I'd hope they would add more. Getting tired of seeing EU/AEU/FSP pop up constantly.
  • deathsembrace#6917
    sontzu wrote: »
    h3llsmaw wrote: »
    Oh the days of when I just started to play on HL server (R.I.P.) and one known as Golgotha rampaging the WC endlessly...
    Absolutely legendary, and hilariously incoherent once he lost his temper.

More recently we have had, others, I will not name, not because of the no name and shame policy, but more because I wouldn't want them to have the "publicity".
    They haven't been anywhere near Gol's level, just going instead for shock value with extreme threats of violence, racism, and repetitive swearing by bypassing the censor filter etc.
    They are more boring than shocking, for me anyway, since I'm more than 6 years old.
    It doesn't bother me, I just add them to my BL.

I honestly think that if you've been on the internet long enough and seen that constantly on other sites/services, it's just kinda "there" so to speak. The only things I find annoying are scammers spamming their spammy scams, spam the meat product, and those who don't take a hint. Admittedly, it is entertaining to just randomly throw my 2 cents into WC or, as I once did on my retired and long removed BM, "sing" the MLP: FiM theme song via the mass amount of horns we got years ago after it was introduced. xD It is, after all, fun to annoy those who are also annoying.
  • deathsembrace#6917
    I honestly think that if you've been on the internet long enough and seen that constantly on other sites/services, it's just kinda "there" so to speak. The only things I find annoying are scammers spamming their spammy scams, spam the meat product, and those who don't take a hint. Admittedly, it is entertaining to just randomly throw my 2 cents into WC or, as I once did on my retired and long removed BM, "sing" the MLP: FiM theme song via the mass amount of horns we got years ago after it was introduced. xD It is, after all, fun to annoy those who are also annoying.
    Try a spam fritter.

Okay, this made me laugh hysterically as I first read that as "try a spam filter". xD
  • deathsembrace#6917
    Can we get some progress updates on the expansion installation. I know it's going to be hours before the servers are back up, but some updates would be nice along the way.
  • shaibya#9251
    shaibya#9251 Posts: 75 Arc User
    Is there any patch out yet too btw?
  • clyknight
    clyknight Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Basically Mr. Spara
    They've done full content updates in less than the normal Maintenance time and in 12 hours or more because they really have no clue
    Other games do updates live with ZERO down time
    These guys are a joke when compared to most others when it comes to how they handle maintenance and updates
  • deathsembrace#6917
    How do you mean?

Like, "Bob spilled coffee over the DA server, and it's gonna take an extra hour to fix" ?

Or, "Lucy figured out that the update installs faster if you put the disc in the drive, so we're ahead of schedule" ?

"Bob spilled coffee over into the DA server. Bob has been fired and the server is down until it is replaced."
    "Lucy is a blonde. She didn't know to insert the disc into the system until someone pointed it out to her. Now Lucy has been moved to the reception area while Nick manages the updates. Nick is a good employee. Good on you, Nick."

As a tech geek, I find this stuff comical. As a brony, I should be nicer... Naaaahhhh.
  • deathsembrace#6917
    clyknight wrote: »
    Basically Mr. Spara
    They've done full content updates in less than the normal Maintenance time and in 12 hours or more because they really have no clue
    These guys are a joke when compared to most others when it comes to how they handle maintenance and updates

Actually, the way PWE manages the upgrades and expansions is better than doing live upgrades. Bringing the servers offline to do the upgrade installations gives the machines some time to cool off, even though they are still running (reduced load on drives, memory, processors, etc.). On top of bringing the machines off of the grid, they can give the upgrade a test run before public distribution of the upgraded files required for the game to run properly, meaning that if there are any issues that arise during the offline tests, they can fix them quickly and give us a good final product as it's rolled out. But just remember, a cool running computer is a happy problem free computer.
  • deathsembrace#6917
    *huggggggs* for Cly ;))
    the server hardware/firmware/software setup is different for PWI, it's a very old design and doesn't tolerate hotfixes afaik

@h3llsmaw as a tech geek, and a brony, it's understandable you don't grasp the subtleties of corporate structure.
    This is what actually happens:

"Bob spilled coffee over into the DA server. Bob has been fired promoted to a supervisory position where he can't do any more damage, and the server is down until it is replaced bodged back together."
    "Lucy is a blonde. She didn't know to insert the disc into the system until someone pointed it out to her is highly adept at inserting things into other things in order to get/keep a job. Now Lucy has been moved to the reception area promoted to a supervisory position over Nick who now manages the updates for 1/4 of the pay. Nick is a good employee. Good on you, Nick."

lmao That's great.
  • clyknight
    Basically Mr. Spara

Actually, the way PWE manages the upgrades and expansions is better than doing live upgrades. Bringing the servers offline to do the upgrade installations gives the machines some time to cool off, even though they are still running (reduced load on drives, memory, processors, etc.). On top of bringing the machines off of the grid, they can give the upgrade a test run before public distribution of the upgraded files required for the game to run properly, meaning that if there are any issues that arise during the offline tests, they can fix them quickly and give us a good final product as it's rolled out. But just remember, a cool running computer is a happy problem free computer.

Wow you must be joking right? If their hardware needs a "rest" then they need new hardware. You also never heard of a test environment for patches and upgrades either I presume? And do we really need to discuss how many updates they put in that were so buggy the game crashed regularly an/or performance was so horrendous you couldn't even stay connected?

A cool running computer is managed via hardware and environment not shutting it down regularly to cool off.

I'll just say you need more knowledge before making such comments rather than noting anything more insulting.

• xdarknouzx
    xdarknouzx Posts: 7 Arc User
    Can anyone give me an information about the size of the patch?
    Thank you.
  • deathsembrace#6917
    Basically Mr. Spara

Wow you must be joking right? If their hardware needs a "rest" then they need new hardware. You also never heard of a test environment for patches and upgrades either I presume? And do we really need to discuss how many updates they put in that were so buggy the game crashed regularly an/or performance was so horrendous you couldn't even stay connected?

A cool running computer is managed via hardware and environment not shutting it down regularly to cool off.

I'll just say you need more knowledge before making such comments rather than noting anything more insulting.

Funny that I've likely been using computers for far longer than you have... Oh well. Go back to playing your holier-than-thou MMO's that don't take the time to care for their systems if you're so high-and-mighty about it. :neutral:
  • eaglestorm
    eaglestorm Posts: 46 Arc User
    axel320 wrote: »
    Using World Chat in rapid succession will incrementally increase the number of Teleacoustics needed for each message, up to a maximum of 32. The cost will reset back to 1 after 1 minute.

Today is a sad day.

hahahaha i like it, maybe it will stop people needlessly spamming wc or carrying on convos that could be in guild or chat box :D
  • deathsembrace#6917
    EXPANSION UPGRADE IS LIVE!
  • attackerv
    attackerv Posts: 295 Arc User
    upgrade is done, took 1 hour;
    but server is not live yet :wink:
    Main Chars in tidewell:
    Attacker_V: archer
    Seraphim_V: Veno
    xNightshadowx: db
  • deathsembrace#6917
    Yes, and it seems rather large, unless the progress bar is totally snafu

Well, this is the biggest expansion that I've seen since my starting clear back in 2011. Servers would likely be online by the time that the install gets done.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    *pokes head in*

Hello late night/early morning patch people!

Maitenance is still underway and checklists are being ran by our teams! So youll notice that you still probably cant enter quite yet! Sorry I wont be jumping in right now to chat too much, but yes this install might take a while depending on your speeds.

@sontzu are you patching a FR client by any chance? And since we dont have manual patches, I think this would be why we dont give actual patch sizes anymore...though I could ask surtr about this.

Also as a side note - there are certain processes in place to make sure that the game goes up and down in one piece. Due to things Im not at liberty to discuss, we can not do these alluded to "live update" with zero downtime. This, in so many words, does not work for our specific title.
  • nbreaking
    nbreaking Posts: 607 Arc User
    Update is done, just waiting for servers to go live now.

jVnmhHz.jpg

Mr. Justice
  • clyknight
    Basically Mr. Spara

Funny that I've likely been using computers for far longer than you have... Oh well. Go back to playing your holier-than-thou MMO's that don't take the time to care for their systems if you're so high-and-mighty about it. :neutral:

And you also make ****-u-mptions
    Been in IT for 30 years and responsible for over a 100 servers - Do the math
  • keihan007#7641
    keihan007#7641 Posts: 1,190 Arc User
    Man this patch is huge. My net isnt the best but damn is it taking long, I went to store and still not even halfway done.
    BlackList vs Frenzied 3/17

https://youtu.be/RkkWkigYd3k
  • po210
    po210 Posts: 39 Arc User
    I download my patch in a coffe shop <<Van Houtte >> in Quebec Canada....they gonna kill me...
  • nbreaking
    nbreaking Posts: 607 Arc User
    Servers are up :o

Mr. Justice