PWI Wiki updates! (contributors needed!)

catgirldesu
catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
Hello! This is to spread awareness that the Perfect World Wiki is fully functional and is being updated again!

Current Wiki admins:
@obielle (main)
More volunteers may be sought in the future.

Got any questions, suggestions or concerns?
Contact us here or in this thread.

What pages need updating?
Please see Roxxy's Wiki Projects if you'd like to help out. The list hasn't been updated in a while but can give you an idea of what needs updating. We mostly need help with adding newer content from recent content updates!

What are the latest Wiki updates?
Please check the latest posts of this thread or the recent changes page on the Wiki.​​
Post edited by obielle on

Comments

• phantomforce#4598
    phantomforce#4598 Posts: 397 Community Moderator
    Thread stickied.
    It is truly stuck.
    Now I need super-glue remover.
    Sticky stuff is stuck on fingers from sticky-ing stickied thread.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    Yes, please do update the Wiki!

I'll probably run a contest sometime in the future but despite that, I'd like to see some people head on in and tiddy it up a bit! It's community run, so its by the players for the players. I won't have much hand in being an admin for it or "having ownership", but I'll definitely be around in case anyone needs help :)

To the future and a beautiful PWI wiki!
  • catgirldesu
    @kalystconquerer#0876 We'll be working on templates and revising the Wiki Style and Guidelines so that we have a proper format and proper rules in place. This should help with the contest since players will have to follow the correct wiki posting format. Currently we have a lot of pages in random formats which makes the wiki seem all over the place.

We'll also try to keep a "wiki projects" list up so players have an idea of what needs to be added and what they can work on. The list is currently on our user pages, but we'll eventually move it to a real projects page.
    ​​
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Ill continue to expand seeker page and supporting links as i get time. Unfortunately its a lot to do all at once. If there are other seekers out there who look to expand it though would love to see their input too.

After im done with seeker ill be happy to move on to other classes i am familiar with (though the pvp guides will be from general knowledge rather than first hand)

Let me know if there is any specific format/guidelines you want me to follow when making changes. Thanks ladies.
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    Thank you for the sticky! :smiley:

I'm currently working on updating a lot of the non PWI-related content, such as templates.

Today I've added another infobox for races and slightly updated each race's page to have more sections, however they are not fully populated with information yet. If anyone can help out, they can be found on the front page of the Wiki. Some information that is needed include some general history of each race (e.g. the war between humans and winged elves), proper descriptions of race appearances, and some well-known members of each race (I can't think of any Earthguards or Nightshades to save my life!).

In addition I'm slowly making work on our Wiki Style Guidelines. They haven't been updated in years and are missing many guidelines. As a result many Wiki pages look more like forum guides or fan webpages than a Wiki style.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • catgirldesu
    eirghan wrote: »
    After im done with seeker ill be happy to move on to other classes i am familiar with (though the pvp guides will be from general knowledge rather than first hand)

That's good enough. monkey-2.gif I think the main class page is supposed to be a general idea of how the class is played. Your contributions are greatly appreciated!

On another note, @asterelle is there any chance you could extract the race icons from the game files? the ones that appear when you select a race in the character creation screen. We could take screenshots but it would be nice to have the proper images.
    ​​
  • eirghan

On another note, @asterelle is there any chance you could extract the race icons from the game files? the ones that appear when you select a race in the character creation screen. We could take screenshots but it would be nice to have the proper images.
    ​​

I'm looking at updating the skills lists as well (We do not seem to have added the Homestead Skills) I am OK to dig through the wayback machine to restore the skills images already there (provided I can locate them) but it would be nice if we could get the images for the new skills as well o:) Well doesnt hurt to ask :#
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,795 Community Moderator
    I would hold fire for a few things. Next update.

Hopefully I'll get some free time to have a go at thisy self.
  • eirghan
    heero200 wrote: »
    I would hold fire for a few things. Next update.

Hopefully I'll get some free time to have a go at thisy self.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but I didnt want to miss the asty boat. Well, We will see how far I can get with the class updates first xD
  • obielle
    edited April 2017
    I'm looking at updating the skills lists as well (We do not seem to have added the Homestead Skills) I am OK to dig through the wayback machine to restore the skills images already there (provided I can locate them) but it would be nice if we could get the images for the new skills as well o:) Well doesnt hurt to ask :#

If you have trouble finding some of those skill icons let me know and I can possibly grab them, though I'm not pro enough to lift them directly from the game files. I haven't checked through a lot of the pages to find missing images or icons yet.

• catgirldesu
    Small update; you can find the wiki templates here.
    The template list page is not formatted properly yet (will be fixed later), but the links are there so you can find the templates and use them if you need to. More templates might be added, but so far we have info-boxes for: classes, races, pets, instances.
    ​​
  • obielle
    Yes, I'll be going through and giving that an update once I've finished working on templates I want to add/edit/remove. I haven't written much documentation/instructions for the ones I've made so far.

• eirghan
    Side note for anyone who may have the same issue i have (error when logging in with existing twitch account on the gamepedia site) there is something buggy with the software and you will have to file a ticket with their devs to get it corrected. Been a week so far on mine but making slow progress.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    @eirghan How strange! Really? I think I did mine backwards - I made a Gamepedia account then linked it to my Twitch account... I think. I'm not entirely sure what I did, but it works.

I took a look at the front page and it's looking much prettier now! *drools*
  • eirghan
    @kalystconquerer#0876 i can get in doing what you did (making a new gamepedia account) but i cant use my twitch (which has my nametag so i kind of want to use it yknow :D) its probably the weirdest thing ever.... I can even see other wikis on my twitch acc but NOT THE PWI WIKI just a bug screen. lol go figure. Gamepedias support staff are really good though.
  • heerohex#3018
    I have same problem.
  • eirghan
    oh no not you too heero :( we will get through this. together.
  • heerohex#3018
    annoying thing is I had some free time today...

Then the servers went down due to maint, so I thought I would try the Wikki and yer... free time gone...
  • catgirldesu
    edited April 2017
    Weird request but... @kalystconquerer#0876 do you have access to a transparent version of this Duskblade picture? Every class page has transparent images, but we can't find any transparent Duskblade (except a tiny one from Steam, but we don't want a tiny Duskblade).

On another note, we've been updating old dungeon pages with the proper templates and replacing the broken map images. This process is going to take a while to complete though so expect to see some inconsistency on dungeon pages for a while.
    ​​
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    Hrm, I'll have to check all our art resources or ask around for it. I assume our Creative team might have one (?) since I've seen some mocks up lately of different promotional images for campaigns. And Google isn't turning up any high quality PNGs either is it?

You might find it before I could, but I'll ask around!
  • phantomforce#4598
    phantomforce#4598 Posts: 397 Community Moderator
    I started poking at it with Gimp last night, so I may have a version of that image with a transparent background in the next day or two.
  • catgirldesu
    edited April 2017
    That would be sweet! We weren't able to find a transparent version through google or digging sites of other PW versions. Just figured I'd ask around here in case PWE has an already transparent version in their secret stash of PWI artwork. tiger-37.gif Poor Duskblade is feeling left out when he has to carry a background with him!

​​
  • eirghan
    fox-49.gif They finally fixed my account fox-49.gif

Got three free months of ad free gamepedia too which isnt too bad.

Class pages will be a tad wonky for the next day or two while I update.
    ​​
  • catgirldesu
    Hehe, I saw you adding stuff last night (or at least it was night for me). Glad to see you got your account issue resolved!​​
  • eirghan
    fox-1.gif They even adjusted my old profile so my achievements and old edits are on the correct account. I'm pretty impressed ​​
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    OOoooo noice! Good on them for being able to fix that for you! I'll take a peek over at the wiki in a bit to see what's been changed!

And er, due to it being rather busy at the office today I won't be able to find that picture today for...obvious reasons.
  • heerohex#3018
    @kalystconquerer#0876 why what's going on today.

OK ok ok. Sorry... Someone had to say it...

Ducks under table.
  • catgirldesu
    edited April 2017
    Wiki updates!
    Some significant pages have been updated. They are still missing some details or have a few broken images, but they are mostly up-to-date and useable. The pages include:

• Genies, Genie Basics (Genie Skills needs updating, but the Genie calculator is linked as a temporary solution).
    • Community Tools (added latest tools, might have missed some though)
    • Fashion, Dye Information (just missing Fashion Weapons now)
    • Trading and associated pages (just missing Commision Shop now)
    • Marriage and associated pages
    • Equipment (new page, a summary of gear types of PWI - associated pages need updating)
    • Beginner's Guide (needs a remake, but current one works for now)
    • Celestial Vale (just missing detailed quest info)
    • Cleric (main page)
    • War Avatar System
    • Category:PWI Art (new page, all official Perfect World art... or what we could find at least)
    ​​
    Post edited by catgirldesu on
  • eirghan
    While working today I noticed the Venomancer page has an "Origins in Legend" section which of course is extremely interesting to those looking to choose their class. I know Venomancers have one of the most obvious connections to Chinese and Japanese lore, but I also know other classes have links as well (Barbarian). If anyone is available to write a small piece for these for the other classes it would be awesome!

Also, Seeker, Cleric and almost Venomancer is now done. I would love for others who have a good knowledge of a class to come in and expand on the pages, especially as I work more on classes I have less first hand experience with (Archers, sins, any light armor class really)
    ​​
  • catgirldesu
    woop

Is there a possibility to trim down the paragraphs a bit? In my opinion the main class page shouldn't be overloaded with information but meant to be a general summary of the classes and their basic functions. We have the "other articles" for expanding on each aspect of the class.​​