PW wiki

yugi2390
yugi2390 Posts: 80 Arc User
Was trying to access the pw wiki for the transfer charts but seems the site is down, anyone have a back up of the charts?

Comments

• catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    It seems they've moved it to a new place or link here. ​​
  • yugi2390
    yugi2390 Posts: 80 Arc User
    Thanks
  • yoda3160
    yoda3160 Posts: 131 Arc User
    You can also try accessing a cached copy through Google search, although most of the images are missing that way. They've been down for a while now and haven't seen anything about them moving or anything.
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    It's not like it's really been updated much since 2013 either.
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • xlayon
    xlayon Posts: 80 Arc User
    Yea it hasn't been updated but most of the info on there was still useful. I went on there mostly to compare build.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    Yep, I was poking around about it and they seemed to have pulled down the old one. The new one does need some updating though...
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Yep, I was poking around about it and they seemed to have pulled down the old one. The new one does need some updating though...

The old one wasn't letting anyone log in to update. Do you know if the new one will give us the option to update? I attempted to log in (using my twitch account since it was an option and I'm not registered on my PW account there) on the new site to see if I could get rights to update and received an error.

Edit: I got in! Note, you dont seem to be able to sign in with an existing twitch account or you get an error, you must create a new gamepedia account (which is linked to twitch) to be able to view the page while logged in (and edit)

Sad for my username :(
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,795 Community Moderator
    I know it was suggested a while ago we do a player wiki if the pw one can't be updated.

Would be nice to be able to work on it.
  • valdisman
    valdisman Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    PWI should have an official site like the old ecatomb too.
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
    In a world of 10s, be an 11.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    @eirghan Yeah that was super weird how they did it! I was able to keep my name and link my existing gamepedia account with Twitch (took a couple of tries to remember which email I had created a gamepedia account with)

Didn't we have a wiki editing competition a while back? If the prizes a worthwhile (maybe some Dragon Orbs, a special title, exclusive mount/pet or Ancient Gifts/Event Gold/Zen) would people be interested in doing a massive update? I could obviously try and plug in some things when I have the time, but definitely can't hurt to have player contributions!
  • nunuator
    nunuator Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I mean if we truly wanted to pull in more players an updated wiki would help people out as well as some more publicity for the game via advertising or some way or another.

Most new players are coming via word of mouth of players that played some time ago and or YouTube channels showcasing PvP or PvE content.

As far as the PW wiki goes:

The updated wiki event was really useless as far as rewards went think it was some 5mill mount and 50 gold or something, really not worthwhile for the player that won since they easily put in 2-3 days adding information.

The real issue at the moment is the wiki is soo outdated and daily grind and what not is not even mentioned in it.. last I checked SB/DB aren't listed as classes.
    There was an PW ectatomb that was really updated with skills upcoming mounts etc.
    (Believe it was a CN player translating and posting new pics) sadly that site shutdown and only a mirror site of it exists now.

PW wiki really needs a complete overhaul and some really good prizes for everyone who contributes to the addition of new info. Unlike the one they hosted in the past which I think was 5 players who got prizes total and the rest of the community who contributed were completely left in the dust. This is easily why people don't bother to update the wiki since the amount of time and the little to no reward for a player doing a companies job of updating info for a game is not worth their time.
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Yeah, I often want to go in and do a major overhaul. Problem is that it requires a lot of time and effort to do so, and without getting paid... Well I can't quit my day job, and it would almost require that.

It will be a pretty major project, but it would also be a lot of fun. A while ago I tried to get started on a revamp, but then they broke all the pictures, and the paying job got pretty demanding.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    As per the usual, I think I might make it some sort of global goal/effort, where if we get certain thresholds everyone gets codes and then top contributors can get something neat (which I'm sure can be tracked from just looking at who edits what and how much content is put in, but its been a VERY long time since I've messed around with wiki editing.) It's hard to put a value on contributions though as everyone's contribution is definitely worth it!

We also have some of those packs with useful items from CN promos I could toss into the mix as well now that I think about it...

As far as prize pools, I'm looking at some of the following items -

Codes : Ancient Gifts, Primordial/Barbaric Blood, Dreamchaser Packs, Heroic Chests, War Avatar Chest : A, CN promo packs that include titles (such as http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/quest/30650 ) , Quality of life type items etc.

Top Contributors : Dragon Orbs Ocean/Mirage/Flame, Exclusive titles/mount/all-class pets, Zen, Zenith Skulls etc.

And I guess if there's anything I missed toss it in the pile! Probably wouldn't hurt to kick something like this off post launch and make sure we give clear instructions on how to do things (since even I had to take a second to figure out the Twitch/Gamepedia linking)
  • eirghan
    edited March 2017
    Well **** I already started adding to it. Going to hold off for a contest now B) But I'm only in it for the titles. Hell yes.
  • catgirldesu
    edited March 2017
    @kalystconquerer#0876
    Better rewards for a Wiki contest would definitely encourage people to contribute and update the PWI-Wiki. After images were broken/deleted and the various other issues the Wiki had (log-in problems etc.) people were simply discouraged. We also had the forum migration which made a lot of the Wiki's links obsolete/broken (same for the guides that existed on these forums). Then whoever was in charge of the new forums kept changing things, constantly breaking links and making players have to update them again and again.

People moved over to creating content and guides on YouTube, knowing their effort won't run the risk of going to waste. I don't blame PWE for making changes, but I think they could have been more careful with the content players have created. If we're given enough incentive, I'm sure we could update the Wiki and turn it into the treasure of PWI knowledge it once was.

​​
  • obielle
    obielle Posts: 1,214 Community Moderator
    Yeah, I often want to go in and do a major overhaul. Problem is that it requires a lot of time and effort to do so, and without getting paid... Well I can't quit my day job, and it would almost require that.

It will be a pretty major project, but it would also be a lot of fun. A while ago I tried to get started on a revamp, but then they broke all the pictures, and the paying job got pretty demanding.​​

Pretty much this. Every time I saw the wiki I felt tempted to fix some things but...it's really overwhelming to look at with the amount of stuff that's outdated. I also don't think I could get in to edit it before anyway but seems I'm able to now.

Would definitely be good if we could get a big enough group of people to work together to revamp a lot of those pages.
    Roxxannae - Twilight Temple
    Official PWI WikiPWI Wiki UpdatesSupport Ticket

Support Email: support@gearboxsf.com
  • eirghan
    edited March 2017
    obielle wrote: »
    group of people to work together to revamp a lot of those pages.

I think thats almost a better idea... either in addition or instead of the contest ask the community to step forward and volunteer then organize the effort, so that the work done is methodical and you dont get both john, joe and abhi all working on the same page trying to over-edit each other.

Well. there are benefits and drawbacks to that.
  • valdisman
    @kalystconquerer#0876 Yeah there was run by Domino. It wasn't even a year ago when it was run.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/pwi/news/detail/9967273-pwi-wiki-editing-contest!

I can't ever remember if ever announced winners though.

http://pwi.gamepedia.com/PWpedia
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • eirghan
    edited March 2017
    valdisman wrote: »
    @kalystconquerer#0876 Yeah there was run by Domino. It wasn't even a year ago when it was run.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/pwi/news/detail/9967273-pwi-wiki-editing-contest!

I can't ever remember if ever announced winners though.

http://pwi.gamepedia.com/PWpedia

TBH i dont think the contest was actually run. I could be wrong, but I think during that period no one could actually log in to the site to get edit rights lmao. I know I couldn't, maybe someone else could and got the reward xD the treasured void panther mount......
  • obielle
    eirghan wrote: »
    I think thats almost a better idea... either in addition or instead of the contest ask the community to step forward and volunteer then organize the effort, so that the work done is methodical and you dont get both john, joe and abhi all working on the same page trying to over-edit each other.

Well. there are benefits and drawbacks to that.

I was initially thinking that before I read the part about possibly having a contest. I'd totally be up for editing pages, but it could be a bit of a pain trying to organize people to actually do it that way though. I've had similar experiences when having other people assist me with writing guides in the past.

I don't think there would be harm in a contest either way - it'd probably help to clean up a bunch of the pages at first, especially with an actual incentive for it. I think there's enough pages to edit that it's somewhat unlikely that multiple people would be working on the same page if you chose a random page and edited it for example, rather than choosing something from the front page or a popular page like refine transfers.

• valdisman
    eirghan wrote: »
    TBH i dont think the contest was actually run. I could be wrong, but I think during that period no one could actually log in to the site to get edit rights lmao. I know I couldn't, maybe someone else could and got the reward xD the treasured void panther mount......

Yeah by run I meant there was an attempted event for an wiki edit. The idea was in place but the event itself was a shambles (like so many of the player based events PWI have ran have been). Seemed such a simple fix and it never happened.

A problem with this event would be you might get so many submissions that it will take you a long time to choose the best ones to use on the site. You would need suitable time allowance to read through and choose.
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • valdisman
    edited March 2017
    https://pwi.gamepedia.com/Starchart#

@eirghan @kalystconquerer#0876 I was able to log in without any problems and create a brief Starchart guide. I have pictures to add but didn't go too in depth as it was just to test to see if I could log in and out and continue with my chosen guide.

Everything for me worked fine. If there is no issue for others, You could most likely go ahead with a contest in the future?
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • obielle
    I had no issues creating an account, though I did have to link it with my Twitch profile which was no issue. I also edited a page and had very little trouble doing so. The only issue I ran into was it couldn't find some of my images when placing them on the page but I think that's because I had uploaded 20+ images and as a result had to wait 5-10 minutes until I could add them.

Seems to be working fine overall, hopefully nothing ends up reverting or breaking.

• eirghan
    :( Ill try my twitch account again when I get home. Maybe its the browser I'm using.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    At least there's some new cool exclusive items I've found *coughs*

The wiki is a huge amount of work, so I could understand why some people can't exactly "pitch in" to just do it on a whim. It's nice to see some activity from time to time on it, though. I never asked what happened to that contest and didn't know if anyone got anything from it, but it seems like there wasn't (?)

I haven't seen any issues myself when I poked around but if something happens or "breaks" with what you're test running, just let me know right away before I try to spearhead anything!

But if it all works out alright and is stable enough, let's get a round 2 going on it after expansion launch!
  • valdisman
    edited March 2017
    @kalystconquerer#0876
    As regards to a contest and the amount of work there is to be done, I suggest we break it down into sections instead of a mass edit contest. By this I mean have a criteria which only applies to certain aspects instead of choosing a guide for whatever you want. Main problem I see is the amount of time you will need to read through all entries and choose a winner.

Could have some sort of small but worthwhile generic reward per entry too, which can be given out after the contest for all participants. This might tempt more people into submitting a legitimate guide.

Btw does the starchart wiki link work through to the guide? Or does it need to have a site moderator apply it in order to be publicly viewed.
    Post edited by valdisman on
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • valdisman
    @kalystconquerer#0876

Well you'll probably have to scratch the Wiki contest idea. Sami and others have decided to start updating it anyway to bring it up to speed sooner rather than later :)
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker
  • catgirldesu
    edited April 2017
    It doesn't need to be postponed as there are a lot of pages that need to be created or re-worked. Enough for everyone to participate in. monkey-2.gif

​​
  • obielle
    There's no need to scrap the contest just because a few people have begun to make edits to some pages - there's actually hundreds of pages that are out of date or not formatted correctly, and several pages that do not even exist yet. Heck, even some of the more official stuff (like the main page, rules, and styling guides) need a lot of work. The level of work that needs to be put into the Wiki is massive - too much for a few people to fix in mere days.

• valdisman
    If you go through the guides, most of it hasn't changed at all. All it needs it new images to be inserted. From the War Front expansion till now is what needs to be added (if you go through it all, it really isn't much).

Many of those guides are no longer needed due to PWI allowing you to effectively buy your way to 95+. With the massive EXP gain from RA, you still will not need to enter most of the lower instances.

Yeah there is work to be done, but it isn't as much as people are assuming. Since this thread started I've read through every guide and most of them are fine bar a few minor tweaks I left for the contest. Most of it only need 5 mins of work to tweak a few things (I suppose if you want to go pointlessly in depth it can take a while but then no one will bother read it due to it's length).
    #kylehawkinsuck
    Moonshine drinker