Server Stone

arcangel786
arcangel786 Posts: 76 Arc User
hello,
could you please confirm if we ever going to get a (server change/move stone ) that will allow players to move to any server they want !!

thanks in advance

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    They've always said "No", but back then it wasn't possible with the state of the databases. Plus there was the PvE to PvP server issue, which was another reason they would not allow it.

As it stands now, this is something they could very likely do. I does, however, have several drawbacks to implementation.
    1. The entire process would have to be done manually. Sure you could write a script to pull and scrub data, but when working with two SQL databases, three proprietary databases, plus the individual character data files, it's not going to be easy to get an accurate script. That's not even covering scrubbing the relational data stored in all the connected accounts for friends lists or factions.
    2. Manual = manpower. One person would probably take the better part of an hour to do one character transfer successfully from one server to the new one and test it appropriately. The smallest failure would have the possibility of rendering the entire account complete unusable.
    3. Naming conventions will be a problem. What happens if the character name is already taken?
    4. PWE could not do this. It would have to be performed by the developers in China. Just organizing it could take weeks.
    5. It could only be done during the maintenance window. Taking the additional time to do this would increase the size of the window by 2-3 hours easily. That is not really an acceptable time frame for maintenance.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • arcangel786
    They've always said "No", but back then it wasn't possible with the state of the databases. Plus there was the PvE to PvP server issue, which was another reason they would not allow it.

As it stands now, this is something they could very likely do. I does, however, have several drawbacks to implementation.
    1. The entire process would have to be done manually. Sure you could write a script to pull and scrub data, but when working with two SQL databases, three proprietary databases, plus the individual character data files, it's not going to be easy to get an accurate script. That's not even covering scrubbing the relational data stored in all the connected accounts for friends lists or factions.
    2. Manual = manpower. One person would probably take the better part of an hour to do one character transfer successfully from one server to the new one and test it appropriately. The smallest failure would have the possibility of rendering the entire account complete unusable.
    3. Naming conventions will be a problem. What happens if the character name is already taken?
    4. PWE could not do this. It would have to be performed by the developers in China. Just organizing it could take weeks.
    5. It could only be done during the maintenance window. Taking the additional time to do this would increase the size of the window by 2-3 hours easily. That is not really an acceptable time frame for maintenance.​​

back in the days you was one of the guys who said merging will never happen and impossible to be done, and what we have no merge worked or not ? yes, so yea without going through all that programming B.S which i dont understand i think it can be done somehow.

same reason you give about naming and yet pwi find a way and give server name when they did the merge Example SlynLC so they can do the same and give a name change stone.
    who want to move to another server for sure he dont care about FL neither he care about factions because he knows that he will be going to new server so i dont get your point.
    PWE can do it if they want or at least offer to do every case that wish to move to another server manually during maintenance for a reasonable amount of gold.

i dont know who put the maintenance time frame but if pwe dont want to do a server change stone in BQ they can they can do it manual to the person who want to do that

if you dont want to move at least help those guys who wish to move cause they have bad timezone with their current server for Xtw and TW and tourney !!

thanks Mr, Sylen
  • rieihdius
    rieihdius Posts: 468 Arc User

back in the days you was one of the guys who said merging will never happen and impossible to be done, and what we have no merge worked or not ? yes, so yea without going through all that programming B.S which i dont understand i think it can be done somehow.

same reason you give about naming and yet pwi find a way and give server name when they did the merge Example SlynLC so they can do the same and give a name change stone.
    who want to move to another server for sure he dont care about FL neither he care about factions because he knows that he will be going to new server so i dont get your point.
    PWE can do it if they want or at least offer to do every case that wish to move to another server manually during maintenance for a reasonable amount of gold.

i dont know who put the maintenance time frame but if pwe dont want to do a server change stone in BQ they can they can do it manual to the person who want to do that

if you dont want to move at least help those guys who wish to move cause they have bad timezone with their current server for Xtw and TW and tourney !!

thanks Mr, Sylen

Actually doing a server Merge is something different than to transfer a single Character to the server you like.
    As far as I understand, some of the Databases used to be shared by the old servers. So it was more easy to do. If I am not wrong the first merge that happened in the Euro servers, those were created with the intention of being merged.

Not saying it is imposible to do, but I see more chances for them actually doing more merges on the US servers than creating that item.
    Considering the current state of this game (at least the USA servers) I would not be surprised if they just left 1 server per time zone or even if they turned them into an only 1 large USA server like the Euro one.

• parrot2010
    parrot2010 Posts: 64 Arc User
    It's possible fo sure. But they won't do it becuse they are too scary to corrupt database.

Manpower - sure. New ID character, rename character (with suffix), fixing the limit of characters if max amount has reached. Etc.
    But it's not for free, Isn't it? They can make it for 500g or smth. The problem is... read first paragraph.
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,795 Community Moderator
    We go blue in the face over this.

Yes would be nice but unlikely to happen.
  • dregenfox
    dregenfox Posts: 713 Arc User
    I don't think it's neccessary for most players on US servers to X-fer.

However, they should offer this to a very limited subset of Harshlands players who were *forcefully* and unwillingly trasnferred to a server 2000 miles away without any prior consideration. I don't care anymore at this point if they try to money-grab and charge for it, but it's simply not right for them to not even give former HL players on Da an opportunity, at least, to transfer to a US server.
  • heerohex#3018
    You argue that but what about players who started on us server before any eu was thought of...
  • forbiddenwords
    forbiddenwords Posts: 321 Arc User
    As much as i would like to see it happen...i have to admit i've lost my hope for this a long time ago. #ForeverCrappyTimezones ಥ_ಥ​​
    BfYIUJc.png
    ☆ Pixel ♥ Heart ☆ Etherblade ☆
  • dregenfox
    heero200 wrote: »
    You argue that but what about players who started on us server before any eu was thought of...

They made the decision to play on US servers with the expectation of US lag. It was their choice. HL players started on HL with the expectation that they would be able to play with US times. That expectation was no longer met. It's not even close to the same situation.

• happyhail
    happyhail Posts: 129 Arc User
    Aside from the fact that former European players on Harshlands made their own decisions and went into it with eyes open, there is still a fundamental difference due to time zones: European players could choose to either stay up or wake up and participate in events. We can't just decide to set an alarm and leave work at two or three in the afternoon so that we can participate in any of the in-game content. As it stands, former Harshlands players have access to basically nothing due to the time zone differences.

tl;dr I'm sick of ping randomly spiking to 30,000ms and never dropping below 500ms. Let us transfer to a US server.
  • heerohex#3018
    edited January 2017
    just at the end of the day needs to be sorted.

Either way... No point in arguing.​​
  • arcangel786

players who chose/forced to play a server is not our point here. we just want pwi to give a chance for players to change server due to events timing ping etc

its appreciated if @kalystconquerer#0876 can check for us if this issue can be done or not.
  • forbiddenwords
    forbiddenwords Posts: 321 Arc User
    happyhail wrote: »

I'm sick of ping randomly spiking to 30,000ms and never dropping below 500ms.

Muahahahihihihuhuhu for once US players feel the pain of EU players and their constant lag on US servers. Seriously though, i totally understand your pain. We may have different reasons for being stuck on the wrong servers but hey at least we suffer the same monkey-50.gif
    ​​
    BfYIUJc.png
    ☆ Pixel ♥ Heart ☆ Etherblade ☆
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    I think the manpower part can be easily resolved with compensation. If it's a couple hours per transfer then figure out the amount of time it takes set a price and offer it as a service. Even if it took 200-300 USD or hat 285 EURO per char moved I think this would be fair if it's that much work to move servers individually. Employees get compensation for extra time and effort for personal matters and we get to move servers as we see fit. Of courage the only downside is I can see a lot of ppl moving all at once and to properly offer this it would need to be done in small increments per week.

Now I understand the monetary amount I suggest is a bit steep to some but think about it if moving servers is that much work, and most of us can't do most events we need on DA therefore hardly can participate competitively I think it's a fair investment. I don't mind my EU friends but I miss being able to play not when 60-70% server is asleep.

Feel free to lmk if you think this is reasonable or if not @sylenthunder @heero200 and why ^^
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • blazerboy
    edited January 2017
    Also I wouldn't mind if roles were flipped for ex HL where we need to be up till 2 or 4 to do events but we can't just leave work to do event and return that's out of the question the role is not at all flipped as one might assume it's actually more like the roles were mutilated xD
  • ailiadrake
    ailiadrake Posts: 282 Arc User
    @kalystconquerer#0876
    Wasn't there a proposition to do the events on other times for the us people stranded on the eu server? Like, if an event was at 8pm server time, it could be repeated when it's 8pm usa time? I don't think we ever got a clear answer on that one (unless I missed it and now it's buried deep into the forums)
  • dingo488
    dingo488 Posts: 936 Arc User
    Being able to move servers is the worst idea ever. People on PWI are more lazy and less competitive than ppl in any game Ive ever seen/played and Ive played a ton of games. Although people will tell you they want good PK, good TWs, good whatever, as soon as server transfer becomes available everyone will end up in the same faction on the exact same server, cuz thats how PWI works. You pay money for gear, you dont work for it, and you'd pay money to transfer servers to be on the winning side, you wont work for it (if you had that option). Thats their business model, and we're the community attracted to it.
  • arcangel786
    dingo488 wrote: »
    Being able to move servers is the worst idea ever. People on PWI are more lazy and less competitive than ppl in any game Ive ever seen/played and Ive played a ton of games. Although people will tell you they want good PK, good TWs, good whatever, as soon as server transfer becomes available everyone will end up in the same faction on the exact same server, cuz thats how PWI works. You pay money for gear, you dont work for it, and you'd pay money to transfer servers to be on the winning side, you wont work for it (if you had that option). Thats their business model, and we're the community attracted to it.

Well not every player in this game care about winning side like you do, and what always makes you worried that you will be in the losing side made you move from CT to hoorah and then merge with origin to be in winning side. so i am sure this idea is a nightmare for you.

trust me if our problem was the winning side players would've joined a winning faction on their server but we asking for a server stone to move to a better server for us to participate in events at a good time and to have a better ping.
  • dregenfox
    edited January 2017

There's no justification for anyone besides former HL players to move servers, and it's only because most HL players have to deal with 500-5k+ ping, major events happening at 2-3PM in the afternoon on weekdays, and dealing with time zones 6-7+ hours ahead and languages we don't recognize.

Like you said anyone else wanting to move servers would probably only do it for more selfish reasons...keep in mind moving away from DA means we're joining a losing side because DA is the server that wins most X-server events...I'd still be willing to bet most HL players would do it anyway.
  • blazerboy
    I would gladly move servers and even play a less active server if I can get in on events weekly
  • dingo488
    dingo488 Posts: 936 Arc User

Well not every player in this game care about winning side like you do, and what always makes you worried that you will be in the losing side made you move from CT to hoorah and then merge with origin to be in winning side. so i am sure this idea is a nightmare for you.

trust me if our problem was the winning side players would've joined a winning faction on their server but we asking for a server stone to move to a better server for us to participate in events at a good time and to have a better ping.

You joined the strongest faction and its now a completely irrelevant faction.
    Ive joined a weak faction and its now the strongest faction on the server.

And we merged with Origin cuz Vindicate is a complete joke now, we're not even looking at you guys any more, we're focused on xTW now. For as far as I'm concerned Twilight Temple only has 1 faction now, and what better way to represent our server then to do well in xTW. The only ''sides'' that are left on our server are the sidelines and that's where u can stand if you're too lazy to put in the effort and set a good goal yourself, but don't complain about the people that actually do still wanna put in the work to reach new goals ^-^

But if you just want better ping and events at a good time, just make a new char, you'll have both your wishes fulfilled. :) Tho for some reason u wanna transfer ur char and gear too... I wonder why. You know you don't need that much gear for PvE and events right, strange.

• fury85
    fury85 Posts: 277 Arc User
    I will be happy to have the chance to move on EU server, so finally i can pariticipate to event (now i have 5am NW, 2am TW, ecc) and a decent ping (actually 700+ in TT server). If they do, I agree.
    Roar_King
    Level 105 Barbarian with Deity Stone
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    There are other reasons to want to move, and id bet not all would flock to dg.

Pwe does not dabble in interpersonal issues in the game, harassment and bullying happen but have no resolution and so promotes more of the same. This has no overall solution without pwe willing to step in but for a one by one basis server stone would help. Players have no way to help themselves aside from trying to disappear with rename stones but usually its wasy to pick out those players. Ive seen many who quit game for this reason. A server transfer would allow those people to continue to pay into pwis pocket.

That said i think HL deserve special attention. Players transferred gave it a good long shot. Any player willing to sever ties they created there cor a chance at decent ping and timed events imo deserves a transfer to US free.
  • arcangel786
    edited January 2017

You joined the strongest faction and its now a completely irrelevant faction.
    Ive joined a weak faction and its now the strongest faction on the server.

And we merged with Origin cuz Vindicate is a complete joke now, we're not even looking at you guys any more, we're focused on xTW now. For as far as I'm concerned Twilight Temple only has 1 faction now, and what better way to represent our server then to do well in xTW. The only ''sides'' that are left on our server are the sidelines and that's where u can stand if you're too lazy to put in the effort and set a good goal yourself, but don't complain about the people that actually do still wanna put in the work to reach new goals ^-^

But if you just want better ping and events at a good time, just make a new char, you'll have both your wishes fulfilled. :) Tho for some reason u wanna transfer ur char and gear too... I wonder why. You know you don't need that much gear for PvE and events right, strange.

i'm not even a vindi member. and i never wanted a strong faction, but again you just proved my point you always been trying to join the winning side, again you doing the same thing by merging with Origin to win Xtw which is for you is a hard work lol.

you get smashed by other factions from other servers and you trying to recruit more players but you failed so you guys merge a big faction into a small faction to get the help from the ppl in origin what a hard work you doing Pawn.

lol remind me from which server you came Pawn ? PVE or PVP ? did u need your gears in Sanc ? funny kid
    Post edited by arcangel786 on
  • unluckygecko
    unluckygecko Posts: 39 Arc User
    Or you know, you can just change servers and start over like a ton of EU players have done during the years :)
  • heerohex#3018
    edited January 2017
    blazerboy wrote: »
    I think the manpower part can be easily resolved with compensation. If it's a couple hours per transfer then figure out the amount of time it takes set a price and offer it as a service. Even if it took 200-300 USD or hat 285 EURO per char moved I think this would be fair if it's that much work to move servers individually. Employees get compensation for extra time and effort for personal matters and we get to move servers as we see fit. Of courage the only downside is I can see a lot of ppl moving all at once and to properly offer this it would need to be done in small increments per week.

Now I understand the monetary amount I suggest is a bit steep to some but think about it if moving servers is that much work, and most of us can't do most events we need on DA therefore hardly can participate competitively I think it's a fair investment. I don't mind my EU friends but I miss being able to play not when 60-70% server is asleep.

Feel free to lmk if you think this is reasonable or if not @sylenthunder @heero200 and why ^^

Sorry but with the work and problems it would cause regardless of the Compensation you offered. @sylenthunder gave this the correct info and the Man power required for one account move would be insane. Not to say the time it would take to move even 4 accounts each week. if 50 people wanted to move servers at 4 a week you would be looking at just over 13 weeks before your toon got moved. Thats manual, the only way they could do this would be to have a script or program that did the moves and would take a few mins/seconds to do.

Dont get me wrong it would be nice to do. BUT and a BIG BUT... at this time in my opinion its just not feasible... the future is possible.

sorry thats a hard damper on it but may be out new GM can ask the questions...​​
  • scruncy
    scruncy Posts: 458 Arc User
    Technically this should be no problem at all. Server merges are nothing else then a account transfer to another server.
    Xtw is nothing else then a char transfer to another server. Both proven to be functional and working.

The problem will be something else in my eyes. People are like lemmings.If some people would start to move to a other server, many would follow just because others go there. Some server would die completely.
  • arcangel786

Sorry but with the work and problems it would cause regardless of the Compensation you offered. @sylenthunder gave this the correct info and the Man power required for one account move would be insane. Not to say the time it would take to move even 4 accounts each week. if 50 people wanted to move servers at 4 a week you would be looking at just over 13 weeks before your toon got moved. Thats manual, the only way they could do this would be to have a script or program that did the moves and would take a few mins/seconds to do.

Dont get me wrong it would be nice to do. BUT and a BIG BUT... at this time in my opinion its just not feasible... the future is possible.

sorry thats a hard damper on it but may be out new GM can ask the questions...​​

Dont get me wrong did you work with PWI ? or u working as a dev ? how do you know all this info or you just guessing and assuming !!

i dont see the correct info you talking about sylen mentioned the naming and pwi mange the naming issue after servers merge so it can be manage.
    you assuming that they need it to do it and it will take that long. isnt xtw is just an npc u talk to and it moves you to another server !? so this thing can happen without doing manual way.

so before you keep saying no and its impossible let a GM answer this and we will see how hard its.
  • dregenfox
    edited January 2017

It's not a matter of effort required...HL players were done a big injustice by being forcefully moved to EU servers with no prior consultation on the matter. PWI placated us by basically giving us a bunch of misleading statements about how they would take some steps to accomodate the US players, but nothing was really ever done. It's basically, "Oh, we randomly decided you're on an EU server now, **** you".
  • blazerboy
    Pretty much. For those of you saying oh yea start a new char if you logged every day and did dailies and hopefully get anywhere in tourny you still wouldn't even be up to date within a year. Please stop saying that
This discussion has been closed.