Starting this game?

Hey guys!
I recently found this game and was about to start it. After looking a bit around in the Internet i found out it was released 2008 and a lot of people said if you really wanna play the end game I have to spend real money. I'm not sure if it's true, so because the game is that old my question:
Is it still a Game to start from zero?, and is it possible to reach the maximum without cashing? (If it's like "yeah you could reach everything but because the game and the market is that old it would take years", please tell me that :smile: )
Okay thank you all for your answers!
Greetings

Comments

• makeumad
    makeumad Posts: 19 Arc User
    u already answer your question.​​
  • neuegeneration
    neuegeneration Posts: 5 Arc User
    So it's like i think, you could maybe reach everthing but it would take years?
  • makeumad
    maybe yes.(if u going to be a great farmer) maybe not.(if u just afk ur **** in archo, and btchin about item prices like everyone else)​​
  • neuegeneration
    edited November 2016
    So if this is the right Interpretation you more or less say that's not worth starting this game if i won't stay for years. Thank you. Thought this game yould be cool ...
  • makeumad
    they dnt give a sht for free2play.. find somewhere else.. buh byefox-27.gif​​
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    I would say in part, it does depend on who you play with in game and who you start the game with. I started playing alongside my real life friend, so we all got to do the grind together.

Some merchanters have never cashed in their life and make off just fine. There's dozens of guides on how to make money and even though the most popular merchanting guide has long since become outdated, alot of the principles remained the same. I farmed up alot of my gears with the help of faction mates, but I do come from an older era, so take that for what you will. Farmed mats, sold herbs, merched TT mats, was in a faction that had a very extensive DKP ecosystem (this is not usually a staple in factions, but I don't know what the bigger factions do nowadays)

Other things for money I see recently - Opening TT for players, Selling/Crafting Warsong molds into G16 gears or selling the R9S3 molds, farming Lunar.

• makeumad
    tell em the truth.. no one a starter free2play can get a good or decent amount of power within 2-3months like the old goodays when the DQ are still there... Say itttttt!!!!!fox-1.gif worst of all he/she looks dnt have interest on: grinding/farming/merching etc. if they want an easy power, tell em the truth, mastercard/visa is the answerfox-5.gif​​
  • wildz2
    wildz2 Posts: 91 Arc User
    Try it for a few weeks.

Recently started here (early september)

"Maximum being reached";
    For gear and such, it all depends on the time you want to spend on it, and your ability to understand the market.

For leveling, it goes pretty quick, many gifts when you start the game, makes it really fast, so you can scale pretty fast and explore most of what the game has to offer.

Have to take into account that the game is being updated every once and then, and I believe some people are not even "maxed" yet due to those latest updates.

Other parts will, in fact, take your months (if not years, havent been around long enough).
    Due to the fact that they are upgraded with daily quests.
    Passive skills, some gear parts, etc.

So no, you wont be #1 this year.
    But yes, you can manage to fit your way through and have fun with people/faction/squads without feeling totally useless for the whole time.

• geochris
    geochris Posts: 108 Arc User
    To be fair starting from scratch at this point it would take a lot of work to become completely competitive in PvP without spending real $$$ on this game. Having said that you can get a character to the point that you can complete all of the PvE instances/quests. You could still do Nation Wars (a PvP event) and others, you just won't be the best.

I am an old player and know a lot about the economics of this game. If you don't plan on spending $ then the game will be about 50% economics (farming/merchanting/generating coins however you can) and the rest playing. I like the game and I personally feel that if you like the game then play the game. Also it is free so you might as well try playing and see if you like it.

One of the nice features about PWI is that it is truly free to play. You don't have to buy any content. It is pay to win so if you want to be in the top tier of player verses player without spending $$$ then this might not be the game for you. I know that if I started fresh right now with out my current knowledge I would not be able to be a top PvP player and I am not anyways. If you take the time and learn the game economy, the best ways to generate coins and become good at them you could become a good PvP player after a lot of dailies. I farmed/merchanted a full set of r9 (best gear) without spending any real$$ in less than a year so it is possible.

Also,on the plus side right now prices (at least on Etherblade) are low and you can get decent PvE gear relatively cheaply.

General tips:
    1) If you are just starting out I would suggest sticking to one main character and funneling all your time/resources into it, especially if you are thinking about PvP.
    2) Pick a server that is closest to your time zone. I did not start a new character when the East Coast server opened up and I really regret that decision now. Do yourself a favor and pick a server in your time zone.
  • sheffix
    sheffix Posts: 8 Arc User
    From what I experienced when starting PWI, you'll have a load of fun starting out and getting into the content. A character launching into the game for the first time is very fun. The biggest challenge you'll have is settling on the right character to play with. What class to play is probably one of the most frequently asked questions.

As for what is realistically possible, that's down to what you wish to do. With any MMO you play, you're going to have to spend a significant amount of time before you're going to be at the end game, regardless of whether or not the game is F2P or paid.

This is my opinion:

You can do anything without putting the money into the game. However it's going to take you a long time, like other MMOs, of farming and grinding to get it. The P2W aspect of this game is there for those who wish to get to the end game faster.

You can do the following in the normal time it would take on any MMO:
    1. Level any number of classes, all the way to the end
    2. You can enjoy the questing and a whole host of raids/dungeons
    3. You can adequately gear yourself for all PVE content
    4. Make a great group of friends and enjoy the content of the game

Now the honest bit. If you realistically want to compete at a PVP level, you're probably going to need to put cash into the game. That's because the game is old now and its population of PVP players have significantly advanced gears. And so coming fresh into the game you would have a lot of catching up to do. You could play for free, farm coins and save towards the armour, but it's going to take you quite a while.

So in summary, if you're after a great MMO, with good PVE content and to play the game with friends/new friends you'll make. Then definitely you can play this game, enjoy it and complete PVE content for free. You'll get hours and hours of enjoyment because if you get bored of one character, the experience is entirely different from any of the other classes you can play. But if you wish to compete in PVP, the timescale to obtain the required gear may be too long for you.

What I would recommend;
    1. Download the game
    2. Join a server that suits you (East, West or Europe)
    3. Read about the classes and choose one that sounds good
    4. Play the game and enjoy, worry about the rest later

Biggest tip of all - find an relatively active faction. An active, talkative and helpful faction truly makes this game great.
  • neuegeneration
    edited November 2016
    I thank you all for the good answers. And I have to say that I'm totally a PvE Person and have no problem with farming for a long time, it was just the thing for me that this game is now 8 years old, and I won't spend months and then the game will be closed. I know Perfect World Entertainment so it's nothing new to me that the games are P2W in PvP and in a few games even in PvE after a specific time. So it was just my thinking if the old players would accept a totally new player or would it take weeks to join a guild or what ever, and if the P2W aspect in this game would be to hard, like I know from other Perfect World Games, it's no game for me.

So it sounds like you could play the game. I'm very interested if it's a playable P2W base for new player in PWI and if the old Player and Guilds are open for new player with not the best gear.
    Greetings.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    Depending on your server choice that works for you, there's a few guilds that are PvE oriented. We did have a faction masterlist running but alot of factions have come and gone or changed names and/or websites/links are broken. You might have to WC or ask around, but they are out there. Good luck, have fun and see you ingame!
  • sheffix
    sheffix Posts: 8 Arc User
    Plenty of factions out there accepting new players. Watch world chat for those saying they're recruiting all levels/classes.

@kalystconquerer#0876 With regards to your active faction list. I wonder if there's something you could do your side to provide a PWE provided list. Maybe get someone to run a script to determine all of the active factions in each server. I'd say something like a faction that has at least 50 players, which have had active players in the last week. Then you could provide the name of the faction, alongside the name of the Leader/Officers in a thread so people know who to contact.

It should be a relatively simple script for someone to run on the databases.
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Enjoyment is subjective, so it's best to try the game out yourself. Although PWI is very old, you can be certain the servers aren't going to close down any time soon. Our content comes from China (PWCN) where the game is still very popular, which means PWI will keep getting updates and new content always brings back interest to the game. It's no lie the game is declining, but there are still some new players joining in (like yourself) or old players who come back to check out the new content and stick around.

As others have said, it's possible to catch up and get yourself a decent set of gear for PvE without ever charging a cent. It does take time due to the daily quests, but leveling is fairly fast and you can start farming your gear even if you're not completely up to date with your passive skills etc. New players get a fair amount of goodies to help them out in their journey and we also occasionally get Arc Codes that give us quality-of-life items/consumables. That on top of various events that pop from time to time.

However, I need to emphasize this game is best played when you have a faction or a group of friends that can play with you. If you try to play solo, PWI can get boring fast and you can't solo all of the content anyway. On the upside, every server has a few PvE oriented factions that accept non level 100 players as well. It may take a few tries and going through a couple of different factions until you find one you like, but that's how it usually is. It's probably obvious, but it would be ideal if you can find other people in your level range so you can do things together. There are helpful endgame players out there, but they too have their own dailies and farming to do.

Make sure you pick the server that is closest to your time zone because PWI has a lot of events that occur during specific days/hours only.
    ​​
  • magicsabre
    magicsabre Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I had played this game some time ago.
    As every free-to-play style game pwi has free gear, equipment and skills to play demo version of pwi.
    Some gear is really free for newbies, as said above.
    Low - level skills (up to level 10) worth coins, which you can gather from quest and mobs.
    Exist some cultivation skills, which are rare and expensive for casual player.

For example, for my Demon Wizard such was ○Stone Barrier.

Exist so named Cash Shop, where items can be bought using Gold (equivalent of real money).

All those in game, who have items from Cash Shop must know, that someone had paid real money for these items.

About PvE ... Exist events for PvP only (there is no PvE).

One of them is Nation Wars.

Above event is one of the sources of income for high level players and source of materials for G16 gear.

Some players to play pwi "for free" set their computers turned on with their Cat shops or Bots (now these named "auto-bots") 24 hours per day.

Edit:
    Some links are to PWI wiki pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com (Cash Shop, Nation Wars).
    Post edited by magicsabre on
  • prancing
    prancing Posts: 143 Arc User
    If you are a free to play player, u can top most people, but the super cash shoppers you will never be able to reach in terms of gear, as the best gear, keeps changing.

PWI does a lot of things to help new players along. You can farm gear in game that will almost give you the same damage, as the expensive stuff, but only PVE, not PVP. But that can help you farm the PVP gear.

Some classes role is to do dmg, other classes have alternative roles. So all classes don;'t need the same level of gear to be effective!

The best part of PWI in my opinion is the community. TW, 80 vs 80, faction vs faction, pride ownership and drama. Is what drew me in.​​
    m5arXCN.png
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Skills (1-10)were changed to no longer cost coin and most levelling gear is provided as quest reward, for free from promo codes, or award for finishing dungeons. Pve wise id say pwi is one of the better free to play games with a variety of free and easily farmable end game gear choices. The moment pwi gets to be a decade long farming spree or cash dependant is the moment you decide to become pvp competitive.

Its an old game but still enjoyable, and to be honest the customization and fashion choices available to the free crowd cant be beat.
  • dingo488
    dingo488 Posts: 936 Arc User
    So I'm really the only one who thinks this is a troll post made by a PWI player that just made a new account?

Mkay
  • darkfalconknight
    darkfalconknight Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Far as it being a really old game, if you like lvling solo, killing mobs solo, have to ask world chat for boss kills, fbs, bhs and etc, depending on the server your on i wouldnt expect too many to help with this stuff since you can do alot of the content on your own till bout 60-70. Then by lvl 70 you'll more than likely want to get the TT gears (short for twilight temple).

no one hardly does quicksand maze anymore for 50+ less you WC for someone with an alt or 2 with a main toon that solos it for you. Plus to be effective in any squad 70-80+ you would have to know your class well enough to handle things on your own less you have a soloer that kills everything which most dont now days due to them leaving some mobs behind to make the rest of the squad to fend for themselves. Otherwise pw has become a pure greedy and selfish orientented game.

Most squads once you reach 100, expect you to have max gears to be able to run least ws but even then you need G16/nirv s3 to compete in nw for the raps and cannies you need for s1-s2 less you like settling for last place alot and get whatever tokens you can get out of it. But you do get alot of stuff from the start to which you dont know what to do with since your bank will be small even with expanding it twice. Plus you'll lvl really fast to where your lvls out-exp your quests and cultis. Not to mention not have enough spirit for lvling skills. Then if you do nw as an undergear, you'll be one shotted alot by the OP r9s3s and your hits will be nothing more than fleas or ants. So that bout covers it.
  • neuegeneration
    @dingo488 Wow thank you. Speeks for yourself.
    Again thank you all for your help. I startet testing a Venomancer on Dawnglory, let's see how the game would be :smile:
    Greetings.
  • greenfire312
    greenfire312 Posts: 269 Arc User
    Many have already weighed in on leveling and pay-to-win and whatnot so I'm not going to rehash those comments too much. Suffice to say, there are plenty of methods to level up and plenty of gear options available, both for midgame and endgame.

One thing I would urge any new player to be aware of is gear elitism. You will run into people who demand certain levels/types of gear, even for PVE instances at endgame. To be frank, this is a PVP mindset, which is incorrectly applied to PVE by people who are simply impatient and only want to do blisteringly fast instance runs. The two "standard" endgame gear sets are g16/s3 Nirvana and Rank 9 S3 - the latter usually being considered the P2W set (though certain dedicated farmers might disagree). However, you can do most if not all of the game's PVE content with significantly less than these sets. There are limits to this (don't bring TT70 gear to a 100-level BH run, please :P), but mostly it's your skill with your class which determines how well you do in PVE. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

On a more specific note, venos have pets they can buy from the cash shop (or equivalent amounts of farming). It is my personal belief that these pets are overrated, particularly the hercules. Their base stats aren't much better than any other pet - their claim to fame comes mostly from the skills they come with. In the case of the hercules and phoenix especially, there are ways you can obtain these skills for any pet (look into Dragon Temple and/or base quests later on if you're interested). The Harpy is the only cash shop pet which is particularly special in PVE owing to it having AoE skills. The others, unless I'm missing information here, are generally PVP pets (e.g. monkey king). So the tl;dr here is you can use any pets you like (though focusing on the evolvable pets is a good rule of thumb).
    Mains: Miugre / LigerKing
    Etherblade server
  • foley3k
    foley3k Posts: 446 Arc User
    Hey guys!
    I recently found this game and was about to start it. After looking a bit around in the Internet i found out it was released 2008 and a lot of people said if you really wanna play the end game I have to spend real money. I'm not sure if it's true, so because the game is that old my question:
    Is it still a Game to start from zero?, and is it possible to reach the maximum without cashing? (If it's like "yeah you could reach everything but because the game and the market is that old it would take years", please tell me that :smile: )
    Okay thank you all for your answers!
    Greetings

Best thing to do is this.
    1. Download and install the game
    2. Get to level 30 on a server that has PvP.
    3. Rage quit because a level 105x3 who spent $65K on the game 1 shots you for 900K damage while you are doing a kill quest to get a little bit of XP, while getting totally useless drops that are worth nothing in game.
    4. ????
    5. Profit

The game used to be fun, until PWE went full on cash cow mode (which is how the game was designed). They killed almost everything that could make you some coin. You can farm stuff, but unless you are retired, or have 37 hours a day to farm, the return isn't worth it. By the time you catch up, you will still be behind.

This game isn't for new players, its for the people who have been playing for a while, and those who can't step away from it because of what they have "invested" into it.
    Better to find a new, non PWE game and start on there.
    NGTUy53.png