New Game Engine In Development

archoeyrda#7167
archoeyrda#7167 Posts: 53 Arc User
edited October 2016 in General Discussion
Yesterday, during the celebration of Perfect World's 10th year anniversary, they unveiled more information about the upcoming expansion in China, which will be launched next month, and their plans for the future of the game. Interestingly, they mentioned the on-going development of the new engine that will bring the 10 year old Perfect World into the present level of games. You may want to see some examples:

Look at this (present) boss
tiGsdwbkFwaBcxx.jpg

The same boss under the new engine
eIOeaAbkFwaCAvq.gif

Present skill effects
osRkVgbkFwaBeoy.jpg

How the new skill effects look like under the new engine (btw this is likely a new class that will be released in the future)jLqWMebkFwaDczB.gif

I will upload a sneak peek of the actual in-game footage of Perfect World with the new engine in few minutes ;)

This is the leaked footage of the future PWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbmeKs5baIg&feature=youtu.be

more info: games.sina.com.cn/ol/n/2016-10-22/fxwztrt0155768.shtml
Post edited by archoeyrda#7167 on

Comments

• rieihdius
    rieihdius Posts: 468 Arc User
    If they release a new engine in the future, I really hope it fix the fps loss problem on big scale PVP events. For me is almost imposible to do something on those events, since every time that too many players stay together and use flashy skill I go on 386 mode :D and end up dead 99% of the time.
    So far the only computers that I tested this game with almost no fps loss were: some friend with an i7 last generation, and that guy computer cost like 5000 USD...
    And some other friend with another custom PC that have a server cpu...
    All other computers I tested large scale battles just go 2 or even 1 fps :D

Also that last animation of the blademaster like character with some monster on his back. Are you sure is from this game?
    I ask this because I saw something very similar on some other game, but I can't remember the name atm.
    Well I guess they may have copied it from it.

• archoeyrda#7167
    edited October 2016
    rieihdius wrote: »
    If they release a new engine in the future, I really hope it fix the fps loss problem on big scale PVP events. For me is almost imposible to do something on those events, since every time that too many players stay together and use flashy skill I go on 386 mode :D and end up dead 99% of the time.
    So far the only computers that I tested this game with almost no fps loss were: some friend with an i7 last generation, and that guy computer cost like 5000 USD...

Also that last animation of the blademaster like character with some monster on his back. Are you sure is from this game?
    I ask this because I saw something very similar on some other game, but I can't remember the name atm.

That class with a monster from the back. Yes, it is from the now defunct Legend Of Martial Arts MMO which was also from Perfect World 5 years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46115JvXS4s

• rieihdius
    edited October 2016
    rieihdius wrote: »

That class with a monster from the back. Yes, it is from the now defunct Legend Of Martial Arts MMO which was also from Perfect World 5 years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46115JvXS4s

Makes sense.
    After a small search on youtube I found this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb0Ap0WpoG4

Now that I see the class in action it also looks a lot like a class from jade dinasty, but that class could not move while casting / using skills.
    If indeed it is PW, the game will change a lot in the future and will turn in to a more action type game.
    Really nice info, thanks for sharing this with us.

Edit: Also would be nice if someone who understand chinese could tell us what does that text on the video means, and also what the guy say on it.

• archoeyrda#7167
    Edit: Also would be nice if someone who understand chinese could tell us what does that text on the video means, and also what the guy say on it.[/quote]

完美国际 is Wanmei Goji = Chinese of "Perfect World." Wanmei "Shijie" and Wanmei "Goji" is the same Perfect World (Wanmei = Perfect, Goji/Shijie = World), but Perfect World Beijing (developer) is called Wanmei Shijie, and Perfect World (MMO) is Wanmei Goji. And the chinese text on that video is Wanmei Goji, which means it is the Perfect World game. :D
  • attackerv
    attackerv Posts: 295 Arc User
    it looks like a new game. will it bring more money or player to the old game? or just make it as a new game, which may earn more money and players
    Main Chars in tidewell:
    Attacker_V: archer
    Seraphim_V: Veno
    xNightshadowx: db
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    2nd picture is disturbing. Boss just swatted away the player onion-4.gif. That would be disturbing. Let's hope the engine upgrade does not cause a significant fall in fps for players who do not have latest tech in their machines.​​
  • rieihdius
    edited October 2016
    :D for some reason the video i linked got removed or turned private on youtube.
    Not sure why did he shoted it down, it is not like it something secret, unless is fake of course.
    anyways for those who did not saw the video just search on youtube : pw new engine and you may find...

will not be linking more stuff :/

• samasalao
    samasalao Posts: 159 Arc User
    This is the full video about the new engine:

http://v.17173.com/v_1_10307/MzY5MjQ1NDQ.html?t=0

By the way I think there are two threads about the new update, we should stick to one IMHO.
  • kenshin151
    kenshin151 Posts: 82 Arc User
    The chinatube player is not working here. :|
  • beast21g
    beast21g Posts: 631 Arc User
    wake me up when it happens, a future update on game engine could be another 10 years :)
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    So the engine upgrade is not a myth?!

An engine update would fix a lot of issues the current engine has, and it would make the game more appealing by having up to date graphics. However, I'm concerned that PW might lose its identity. The game currently has pretty nice aesthetics, and I wouldn't want it to end up looking like "just another MMO". I'll take atmosphere and aesthetics over ~epic graphics~ any day.

If this engine update is indeed true (I will keep my reservations for now) I'm certainly curious to see how Venomancers and their skill animations will look like.

Hopefully, I'll have a new computer by the time this engine upgrade happens (assuming PWI lives long enough to get it). My poor dying laptop will most certainly not be able to run an upgraded PWI. monkey-47.gif
    ​​
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    Well, the end of the video says w2i.wanmei.com, which is CN's version of PW.
    If this is really supposed to be the engine update on this game, then that's an insane change. They might as well release that as a whole new game.

I'm still cautious about what it is until more is known.
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    Bye bye PWI for low end computers and windows xp.
    giphy.gif

• eternalghost
    eternalghost Posts: 154 Arc User
    This looks insane! I have always wondered what Perfect World would look like at next gen level, since its one of the best designed open world MMO's out there, just ageing poorly. I am interested in how the skills would transfer over in such an advanced engine, as most of our skills are stand still and spam. Maybe similar to Muild Mars 2. If what I saw is what I believe it to be, the new look is going to be amazing!
    Kymsplat - Sin -

103 - 103 - 102
    Etherblade
    My Gear: http://mypers.pw/10/#543295
    My Youtube Channel: youtu.be/zyiaSCxQ_KY
  • bloodedone87
    Looks like they gonna turn PWI into an action combat MMO.

Funny is that in june this year I asked people if PWI would be a better game if the devs would turn it into an action combat MMO?

http://forum.arcgames.com/pwi/discussion/1205412/do-you-think-that-pwi-would-be-a-better-game-if-the-devs-would-turn-it-into-an-action-combat-mmo#latest

And the majority voted NO.

Well it seems that PWCN thinks that it will become a better game or atleast that is what I think they are hoping for.

And it was inevitable for this not to happens since this is the era of action combat MMOs.
    giphy.gif

• ailiadrake
    ailiadrake Posts: 282 Arc User
    I'm both ecstatic and worried. Ecstatic because, well, pretty graphic, engine overhaul and new map expansion, but worried that my pc won't be enough for it. I mean, sure, there will be graphic settings and the such and I do have a decent system on my hands (i7-no-idea-what-gen and 1gb nvidia card), but will it be enough? I do have bad experience with mass pvp on a newer game (where it lags horribly when there are way too many people running around) even with minimal settings...

I assume that pc requirements haven't been released yet, right?
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User

Funny is that in june this year I asked people if PWI would be a better game if the devs would turn it into an action combat MMO?

http://forum.arcgames.com/pwi/discussion/1205412/do-you-think-that-pwi-would-be-a-better-game-if-the-devs-would-turn-it-into-an-action-combat-mmo#latest

Well it seems that PWCN thinks that it will become a better game or atleast that is what I think they are hoping for.

And it was inevitable for this not to happens since this is the era of action combat MMOs.

The problem is that going with the mainstream popularity isn't always a good thing.
    It might be good to try to attract new players and old ones to come back, but it will just be another "one of those" games.
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    I like PWI the way it is, so I wouldn't want them to turn it into an action combat MMO... but I don't know what the PWCN players prefer. We PWI players don't matter. XD
  • samasalao
    samasalao Posts: 159 Arc User
    Not sure what are you guys talking about, the video just shows what the engine can do, an engine is not specific to a game, is a framework where different games are build, think Unreal Engine has Turn Based Games, Puzzles, First Person Shooters, Action RPGs etc. How the engine is used well that's a different story, if you believe that PW2 will suddenly turn into a Witcher 3 kind of game, you are deadly mistaken, is easier to build a new game.

What we can probably expect here, better textures, better lighting, better RAM usage, better GPU usage, better effects, MAYBE a port to directx 11 (currently we use directx 8), that kind of things, Gameplay changes: none.
  • bloodedone87
    dblazen1 wrote: »

The problem is that going with the mainstream popularity isn't always a good thing.
    It might be good to try to attract new players and old ones to come back, but it will just be another "one of those" games.

Yes but that is as much that they can do. Turn it into another one of those. Unless they invent another type of MMO. Like a platforming MMO for exemple but I doubt that will work or that they can.
    giphy.gif

• bloodedone87
    I like PWI the way it is, so I wouldn't want them to turn it into an action combat MMO... but I don't know what the PWCN players prefer. We PWI players don't matter. XD

Judging by the videos and gifs in this thread that is the direction that they are going for.
    giphy.gif

• eeepsilon
    eeepsilon Posts: 294 Arc User
    I don't know.. For me that game looks like something completely different.

If you think about it there is no reference to anything from pwcn / pwi on that video aside from the text.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that is fake but just look at the full video: no pwi known classes, no pwi known places, even the boss that the OP claims is a kong remake doesn't look at all like that. If you watch the full video on full screen you will notice that said boss looks more like some mutant turtle thing than a monkey and well... Kong bosses are monkeys.

Also at the beginning of the video there is some gorilla like character, that looks like a Playable class to me, in fact that class looks more like an orclord boss than the actual boss on the video.
    That playable class that no one seems to notice also looks a bit like the orcs from wow..

As I said before I'm not doubting the legitimacy of the source but for me is more like some game perhaps based on pw universe, and maybe they could use that engine on the current PW, but aside from that nothing on that video resembles Perfect World.

Just to summarize my thoughts: If that game is indeed a revamped version of Perfect World. Where are the archers, clerics, venos, sins, etc...???
    And where are the known places from our map???
  • dingo488
    dingo488 Posts: 936 Arc User
    Sweet, the company that made the game we play has a new engine that they are clearly gonna use on games that are not our game, lets fantasize about how cool it wud be if they did use it on ours. -_- Nothing about that video has any relation at all to PWI. Thematically its completely different, even the gameplay has nothing to do with PWI, the UI is completely unrecognizable.

Pretty sure its just a troll post, 99% sure this engine will never touch PWI. Also they'll never turn PWI into an action combat game, the idea is completely ridiculous, there's such a huge difference in gameplay you might as well consider it a completely different genre, and there's no way they'll randomly update the game one day and the patch notes will say ''O yeah btw, its a different game now, I hope you enjoy this genre too''.

Dont get me wrong, Id also love it if the game gets a real revamp, a new feel and a new look, but it wont.
  • rieihdius
    edited October 2016
    Also that video could be just to show the engine and not even an actual game.
    What I mean is that by the look of it they may actually use that engine for a future version of pw and other games, but all those classes, monsters and places on it are perhaps just test material to show what the engine is capable to do and nothing more.

• heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,795 Community Moderator
    Im starting to wonder if they where just showing what the System could do rather than than what PW could be.

Tho I like the Skill where the boss literally launches a player across the room... Ouch...​​
  • xdarkangelkiarax
    xdarkangelkiarax Posts: 36 Arc User
    Hmm.. I was trying to see anything that looked familiar in that trailer and I couldn't

Also, I wouldn't want the game to change as dramatically as this! It would be a completely different game, not the PWI we love. The whole thing made me feel uncomfortable, and made me want to cherish every last moment of the game as it is, just in case this was a true PWI future. D:
  • razzzza
    razzzza Posts: 456 Arc User
    The trailer is OBVIOUSLY only a tech demo kind of thing and PWI will never ever get a big of a overhaul as this one shown in the demo.
    I dont know one game so old as PWI is and got a brand new engine that DRASTICALLY changes how the game looks.

Also i doubt that they will turn this game inside out with a new engine because they basically have to recode the whole game over with all skills and stuff so why not release a new one instead of giving a game under life support a new dress? doesnt make sense now does it.
    Also how someone here already mentioned, alot of people still play this game on machines as old as some teenagers. They cant ditch those people because $$$
    m5k9ne4c.jpg
  • bloodedone87
    razzzza wrote: »
    The trailer is OBVIOUSLY only a tech demo kind of thing and PWI will never ever get a big of a overhaul as this one shown in the demo.
    I dont know one game so old as PWI is and got a brand new engine that DRASTICALLY changes how the game looks.

Also i doubt that they will turn this game inside out with a new engine because they basically have to recode the whole game over with all skills and stuff so why not release a new one instead of giving a game under life support a new dress? doesnt make sense now does it.
    Also how someone here already mentioned, alot of people still play this game on machines as old as some teenagers. They cant ditch those people because $$$

You think that people with old computers can afford to put money in to this game? Alot of money so PWI cant ditch them? But those people cannot afford to buy a better PC?
    giphy.gif