Arc Client is Crapware, like everything Arc related, any alternative to use the anniversary code?

Title says it all, not gonna install it on my own computer this Arc thing is BS.

Any alternative is welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• samasalao
    samasalao Posts: 159 Arc User
    Currently building a virtual machine with Win7 to install that Arc **** in it redeem the code and then shut it down altogether, only reason I'm not deleting it is in case they try to pull that arc only stunt again. Please close this thread thanks.
  • dregenfox
    dregenfox Posts: 713 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    lol....It's not that bad...arc currently takes up .2% of my cpu usage and 22MB out of the 16000MB of RAM available on my computer. You can also close it down to the system tray so that it's not even noticed until you use it.

It also makes redeeming codes and launching pwi 10x easier...that virtual machine is going to bog down your computer way more than a single Arc client minimized to the tray and running in the background.

...Actually, keeping a folder open in windows is taking up more cpu than the arc client atm.
  • laiwaisan
    laiwaisan Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    lol i use to think the same thing but steam is the same way and so is nex the only bad thing i hate is if your watching a movie online flv whatever format pwi arc has flash video promos news ets that uses flash format so 2 different flash players like google chrome and arc at same time = crash same with the other third party game launchers that advertise in flash.

if there was a temp off switch for flash in arc that be awesome or if you can turn it off by viewing your profile it be nice.

i trip out on the part where there was no flash there is in your prfile its in the corner doing constant buffering which =crash if you open up a browser with flash video.

• greenfire312
    greenfire312 Posts: 269 Arc User
    On the rare occasion I need to put PWI on a new machine now, I dig up my ancient installers of v676 and let it download three or four expansions' worth over wifi. No joke. And if PWE ever makes this impossible, they may very well lose a person who's played practically since launch.

Arc serves literally no purpose except to advertise PWE stuff which the website does just as well. Please quit pushing this bloatware. Bigger companies than you have tried it and got roughly the same amount of well-deserved ire.

As it turns out, the spare machine I subjected to the Arc treatment finally went kaput so I'll have to choose a different sacrificial lamb tomorrow. Until then, I'm all ears for an alternative.
    Mains: Miugre / LigerKing
    Etherblade server
  • dregenfox
    dregenfox Posts: 713 Arc User
    On the rare occasion I need to put PWI on a new machine now, I dig up my ancient installers of v676 and let it download three or four expansions' worth over wifi. No joke. And if PWE ever makes this impossible, they may very well lose a person who's played practically since launch.

Arc serves literally no purpose except to advertise PWE stuff which the website does just as well. Please quit pushing this bloatware. Bigger companies than you have tried it and got roughly the same amount of well-deserved ire.

As it turns out, the spare machine I subjected to the Arc treatment finally went kaput so I'll have to choose a different sacrificial lamb tomorrow. Until then, I'm all ears for an alternative.

You could just download and start up arc, then force-close it after starting the clients, if you're really desperate to free up that 20'ish MB of RAM.

I personally like the fact that I never miss a sale or promotion because the client automatically shows me the latest PWI news posts.

• freakinjose#1858
    freakinjose#1858 Posts: 3 Arc User
    You're all crybabies and you should all feel bad
    Foc the police coming straight from the underground
  • ericamariex222
    ericamariex222 Posts: 114 Arc User
    I didnt read completely the responses. But when it comes to it you usually don;t need arc at all anymore (until a few codes given out today) PWI is available on steam and typically you can redeem any codes on the website. However the 2 that were put out today require arc client to send to yourself. So i had to install and uninstall again.
  • faukinay#4139
    faukinay#4139 Posts: 3 Arc User
    open your file manager and look up "elementclient.exe" and make a copy of it on your desktop.
    then right click the link and go into propertys
    add startbypatcher to the end of it and problem solved no more arc needed to play
    mine looks like this "C:\Program Files (x86)\PWI_en\element\elementclient.exe" startbypatcher
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,806 Community Moderator
  • rieihdius
    rieihdius Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I don't get why there are people that still rage about arc. You don't even need to use it to play PWI, and even if you install it you can just open it, redeem codes and then close it. If the person is so scared about some hidden process, you can just... you know kill all the process related to it after use or even more easy reboot your computer and make sure that dont run at start :D
    And no, you don't need to be hacker or a computer engineer to do that :D

No offense but some people talking about using alt computers or virtualization for that??

Paranoia Much????? :D

• ericamariex222
    ericamariex222 Posts: 114 Arc User
    Understanding the program works perfectly fine for many, when it comes to liking a program thats all personal preference, I dislike all the errors and issues that arc is always encountering. I wasn't using it much for anything for the game hit steam, i did the start by patcher stuff for a long time, when i updated to windows 10 for some reason i wasnt able to start just from the element client, so id open arc, open pwi and end the task. But since the release on steam I've just been using that. Up until the last 2 codes released could redeem any code online.
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,806 Community Moderator
    I have ARC installed.

I do not use ARC for anything Unless I have to.
    1. Not For Patching
    2. Not For Running the game
    3. Not For Using codes

Unless I have to like the code that was set the last day or so.

I have no problems with ARC I just don't need the extra load on the computer or programs I have no need for in the system. If it was a point where you HAD to use ARC then I would likely just go with it. For now either Bypass, Use It or don't play.

Thanks.​​
  • jairoluis
    jairoluis Posts: 215 Arc User
    use wine and play on linux
  • rtmira
    rtmira Posts: 53 Arc User
    even on Linux we need to get the update every week ;)

Like Heero200 I use Arc only if needed. PWI can start without it.
  • manavich
    manavich Posts: 5 Arc User
    i used to have a workaround for arc in perfect world . i do not think the overlays can be turned off now . try control alt delete -programs , turn arc off . if it doesnt close the client you may be able to play with one of the overlays still running . arc is less than usefull and only hindures any reasonable gameplay and prevents me from wanting to play anything pwi . i have forsaken world installed but dont play due to lack of a weapon or any gear , and last time i checked arc could not be turned off in perfect world hence it is not installed . nobody likes arc . it will cause even a good machines cpu to run at 50 percent . i am not a supernode im a gamer . sends a newbie wizard to fight arc . says it just wont die .
  • manavich
    manavich Posts: 5 Arc User
    click my portrait there is a very good workaround from 2014 on one of my posts . it is nonfunctional but it may be possible to make one that works . let me know if you succeed and be sure to post it .call it arc workaround .
    good luck .