Is it worth to spend real money?

2»

Comments

• bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    So OP after you readed all this answers tell us what is your conclusion? Do you think is it worth to spend real money on PW?
    giphy.gif

• koudelkamorgan
    koudelkamorgan Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I mainly meant that the front page of this forum is extremely slow.

The response to my admittedly exaggerated prior post makes this thread about the most active one on the front page aside from the G17 one.

Maintenance threads are pretty much gone the last few months, even the wall of stickied threads has gotten down to an admittedly appropriate amount compared to it taking up over half the front page like before.

I'll admit people probably don't spend 100k every month, but I do know that some have spent thousands over the years.

While the game may not be closing soon, it isn't really thriving either.

We VERY rarely get any kind of patches, not just expansions but ANY updates at all. If it breaks it says broken, if a key feature of an expansion is missing you might see it 7 months later. The time it took between them adding a NS flier page to the event shop and ACTUALLY PUTTING ANYTHING IN IT was disgraceful by any standard. The same goes with faction icons, and everything in that thread about things that never get addressed.

The state of cross server events is abysmal, and even if you don't bother with them either they sadly DO make up the majority of the new content we get. The remaining things we are to look forward to are farming the next few YEARS for the next iteration of power creep for g17 stuff. Because cards and charts are all maxed and squared away already..

Since actually going out and killing mobs provides very little incentive due to repeated crippling of drops, the entire economy is being held together by Jolly Jones for a lot of the player base. Some people still run Warsong constantly, and some people still buy the drops. I assume TT still happens but I rarely see anyone doing it. The rest sell gold for 2-3 times what I'd pay for it, but they must be making a lot doing it.

Perhaps I should have said they put all the new mounts in packs instead of fash. I know they DO sometimes put fash in the shop, I meant broadly speaking it usually ends up in packs. Fash and fliers are about the only things I've actually bought over the years. The game gets real damn cheap if you ignore pvp and know where all the free stuff comes from.
    samus_forum_tag_by_artbyanarchy-d5nz2ih.png
    I Aim To Misbehave
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Eh, a lot of people stopped posting on the forums after the migration. Even I stopped being active. I loved posting and I was very active, but I dislike the new forums. It was only after some months that I started being a little more active, even then, my post count is nothing compared to what I used to have. Bless the Forum Enhancement team. Without their tool, these forums would be even worse.

I'm not disageeing with you, though. This game has been declining, but it's not all that surpringing considering its age. It's actually nice that we are still getting updates and support after so long.

Updates and fixes have generally always been slow, though. PWE has to wait for China for everything. I guess it was a bit different in the first couple of years, but Wanmei has shown little care about PWI over the years. I mean, we even get the nerfs PWCN gets, nerfs they need for their bot problems, but those aren't that bad here. Well, I guess until we got auto-cultivation.

Anyway, I feel like anyone who has been around a couple of years should not be surprised at the state of PWI and it's up to them if they want to spend money. They should also be aware this is a ten year old MMO.
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Maintenance threads are pretty much gone the last few months, even the wall of stickied threads has gotten down to an admittedly appropriate amount compared to it taking up over half the front page like before.
    If you had any idea what Domino is doing lately, you would understand why the maintenance threads are missed sometimes. As it sits, they are still posted like 90% of the time.

For the wall of sticky threads, the reason it isn't a huge wall is largely because of both Domino, and myself, un-stickying the out-dated threads and re-locating the others into their appropriate locations. (For example, the event stickies go into the Archive forum, and threads like the NW Information sticky is now in the NW sub-forum where it belongs.)
    We VERY rarely get any kind of patches, not just expansions but ANY updates at all. If it breaks it says broken, if a key feature of an expansion is missing you might see it 7 months later. The time it took between them adding a NS flier page to the event shop and ACTUALLY PUTTING ANYTHING IN IT was disgraceful by any standard. The same goes with faction icons, and everything in that thread about things that never get addressed.
    There are multiple layers here, and some of it I don't have an answer for. I will address what I am able.

Updates come from China. The developers are in China.
    PWE has rushed the last few expansions well ahead of when they are due. I would imagine the majority of the reason for doing this is a combination of marketing tactics, the overall impatience of the players, and the constant whining about "when will we get the next update that released in China two months ago".
    As a result, we get things that are either incomplete, or incredibly broken. Add to that, we have had a huge number of holidays recently, which slows things down even more. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and the Chinese New Year, just to name a few. This slows down the development process, and said bug fixes.
    Even with that aside, most of the bugs are resolved in a relatively reasonable period of time.

Now, I did say most. There have been more than a couple of threads with issues that have largely gone un-answered by management. I have just about given up hope for most of them, most particularly those since the servers were merged. In the majority of them though, there are viable workarounds. Factions like TimeLords have their transparent icon back after the merge. (even in the last patch, new icons were shipped to the client.)
    The state of cross server events is abysmal, and even if you don't bother with them either they sadly DO make up the majority of the new content we get. The remaining things we are to look forward to are farming the next few YEARS for the next iteration of power creep for g17 stuff. Because cards and charts are all maxed and squared away already..
    The main problem with this, is that our version spans from GMT-8 to GMT+1. The original version (China) does not.
    The other issue to this is again specific to our version. PWE's marketing prowess put R9 in the boutique. They made the top tier gear easily attainable just by opening your wallet. In China, this is not so much the case. Hell, they don't even have our version of R9 because we have special gear requested by PWE.
    China didn't have the pill babies we do. China didn't have hyper babies from FCC.
    Hell, China enjoys the grind. You guys want instant gratification. The game was designed with the grind in mind. So you either pony up the cash for the instant gratification PWE has provided you in our version, or you spend forever farming it as they designed it. At least you have the choice.
    Personally, things would be a lot better off if we had mirrored the original version of the game from the beginning, but now the precedent is set.
    Since actually going out and killing mobs provides very little incentive due to repeated crippling of drops, the entire economy is being held together by Jolly Jones for a lot of the player base. Some people still run Warsong constantly, and some people still buy the drops. I assume TT still happens but I rarely see anyone doing it. The rest sell gold for 2-3 times what I'd pay for it, but they must be making a lot doing it.
    Do some research on the botting issue in China, and you'll understand why this is.
    Perhaps I should have said they put all the new mounts in packs instead of fash. I know they DO sometimes put fash in the shop, I meant broadly speaking it usually ends up in packs. Fash and fliers are about the only things I've actually bought over the years. The game gets real damn cheap if you ignore pvp and know where all the free stuff comes from.
    Again, it's marketing. They make more from the packs because people will buy them to get the mounts/fash/whatever, than they would if they just put them in the boutique.
    Also, there is a limit to the number of items that can be in the boutique. We're pretty much at that limit. I mean hell, the boutique runs on it's own server just so it doesn't lag the map every time you're changing instance servers.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • standoffishman
    standoffishman Posts: 136 Arc User
    @sylenthunder I feel like our nv3 and much cheaper WS weapons kinda makes the r9 changes more of an overall armor thing. Excluding capes, they have very cheap matchless wings. Also worth noting our 10-12* orbs are both plentiful cheap relative to CN as near as I can tell.

Also you can talk purely about uptake if you like but by my count China has all the instant pills we do. Actually they have a SS10 one and, relatively, much cheaper extreme action stones. The war front crate is also arguably quite a bit cheaper than it is here depending on how you want to look at it. I say that relative to the rest of the cash shop hence arguable, obviously under $15 is indeed cheaper in absolute terms.

I'd agree that mirroring china on gear and how gear is obtained from the beginning would have been very preferable. If you're saying you think we'd have been better off with a complete mirror I'm not sure I agree as that includes a lot of small changes that would suck but either way.
  • koudelkamorgan
    koudelkamorgan Posts: 140 Arc User
    I actually edited out that Sylen has become our defacto CM from my last post lol. I'm glad they are around to corral us surly types :3

I can always at least expect measured responses here. In the PoE forums its utter chaos and vitriol if you say literally anything pr ask any questions.
    samus_forum_tag_by_artbyanarchy-d5nz2ih.png
    I Aim To Misbehave
  • standoffishman
    standoffishman Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited February 2016

I actually edited out that Sylen has become our defacto CM from my last post lol. I'm glad they are around to corral us surly types :3

I can always at least expect measured responses here. In the PoE forums its utter chaos and vitriol if you say literally anything pr ask any questions.

It would be kinda great if they actually were, more time and power to get stuff done and all that. Sadly not a thing.

I'll agree with you on the forums. As much as I sometimes feel individual people are crazy, on the whole it's fairly good for an mmo forum.

On a side note with regards to the event gold NS fliers. I'm fairly sure CN had a delay that was comparable on that one and they just put the text in early for everyone. We also have better overall flyer options than they do for event gold for what it's worth. Someone who checks the CN event boutique more frequently may want to correct me or give more exact times on that however.

Just to add a note on mounts and the cash shop since you mentioned that. The problem is land mounts aren't used all that much in game and the there are heaps of them at this point. Due to that most, not all but most, people only have any interest in a mount if they both like the look and it's somewhat exclusive or it's dirt cheap. They could put a new mount in the cash shop for 10-20g and frankly unless everyone decides it looks super cool very few people will buy it.

In china one of the ways to get around that is to make very expensive mounts. This makes them high value and exclusive without needing to put them in packs. For example they have a fairytale ish horse and coach mount in the boutique right now which is quite new. It's 358 gold. You can argue that the gold value doesn't quite convert out 1:1. Even if one agrees with that however you're still looking at a $150ish mount.
    Post edited by standoffishman on
  • engrdennis2012
    engrdennis2012 Posts: 95 Arc User
    So if you guys saying, you or me should not spend money via money wise, as the game is already 10years old. Then how pwi survives in the next few years left? If this is our point of view then i dont see pwi will reach 5 more years.
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    So if you guys saying, you or me should not spend money via money wise, as the game is already 10years old. Then how pwi survives in the next few years left? If this is our point of view then i dont see pwi will reach 5 more years.
    Because people will pay money for pixels, no matter how stupid those pixels are.

Plus, if we have the housing system coming, they'll spend oodles just to be the first to have it.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • freygin
    freygin Posts: 737 Arc User
    It's worth it to spend money you can afford to lose, it's not worth it obviously when you spend your entire savings.

The one thing I hate in PW game is the value inconsistency, and sometimes its not only because of the market but because of new patches as well, what you just bought/spent for like $1000 now might go as low as half or even a quarter later on or even almost free.

R8 was originally cost like $4000 for anyone who wanted it in one night on the server where I play but decreased over time and the last time before it went almost free with primal world update was $200. Warsoul weapon was more or less $10,000 using packs, then later around $1000-2000 using mc from people doing BH and much later being sold by the publisher in real life game festival for $1000, now it's around $400-$500 with NW furnace. I believe the price will hit rock bottom some time after heavenfall with the mats cost no fee unlike getting them by exchanging mysterious chips. It happened to R9 too, though it's still expensive.

Think twice before you start spending, this game is like quicksand, the more you spend, the more likely you'll be sucked too deep into the game, and by the time you want to quit, you've spent too much time and money already to quit for good.

• freygin
    freygin Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited March 2016

I mean, we even get the nerfs PWCN gets, nerfs they need for their bot problems, but those aren't that bad here. Well, I guess until we got auto-cultivation.

Do they still have botting problem ? I see nothing to gain now from botting, not even exp since we have PV100. The number of bots is insane there, I've seen a video someone posted on youku about the bots, but the coin sink is insane as well, JoSD is best and better than vit12 stone, but vit12 is 2nd best and cost like 120m a piece, I bet a huge of coin sink has occured in PWCN. Also Warsoul weapon + its upgrade and R9 furnace cn version are huge coin sinks, the total coins should decrease by much already by now. I hope we won't suffer with housing system costs later because seems like they are gonna use it for yet another huge coin sink.

• eternalghost
    eternalghost Posts: 154 Arc User
    freygin said:

Think twice before you start spending, this game is like quicksand, the more you spend, the more likely you'll be sucked too deep into the game, and by the time you want to quit, you've spent too much time and money already to quit for good.

This is sooooooo true. Its the most vicious of cycles. I think trying to break a gambling habit that has made you re-mortgage your house 11 times is easier than stopping playing this game once you've spent so much money on it xD
    Kymsplat - Sin -

103 - 103 - 102
    Etherblade
    My Gear: http://mypers.pw/10/#543295
    My Youtube Channel: youtu.be/zyiaSCxQ_KY
  • mynamewasstolen
    mynamewasstolen Posts: 56 Arc User
    anything you can buy in game with cash can also be obtained without cash if you know what to do. whether or not it is worth it is up to each individual person. Some people will literally throw thousands of dollars at the game to be the best geared in game. Others farm their way to be the best geared in game. Whichever way you go about it - the game needs cash shop players in order for every player on the server to r9 materials. Cashers buy them to sell to non cashers.

The daggers linked in the opening post might look fancy with triple -int, but at the same overall interval - a pair of g15 dark death thorns carrying the GOF modifier will out dps those g16s pictured. The proc rate and double damage provided by DDT with GOF will outdamage a simple 40 attack levels.
    By the light of the moon, our true forms are revealed.