A good Pc/Laptop for Pwi.

As this topic says, it is time for an upgrade. I have been hunting for a new laptop for a few weeks and i have come across this one.

bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-dark-gray/8963091.p?id=1219698445364&skuId=8963091

I've looked at the specs for this one, and obviously i would like to see how you people think about this one. I want to start pking and being able to attend more challenging Tws. At first i wanted to get a gaming laptop. But then i thought to myself, "I only play Pwi." But i might try out Blade & Soul in the future once i get it. Besides that, i don't want to spend so much on a gaming laptop if i only play Pwi. x) P.s, i play Ps4 also.

Hope i can get some nice opinions from all of you!

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    edited January 2016
    It's a good unit, but for serious gaming you really want to avoid laptops. It's especially good that it's Intel with an Nvidia GPU since AMD is having so many issues with compatibility atm. (Particularly with games in relation to the GPU drivers and software.)

As far as the client is concerned, anything made in the past 5-7 years works perfectly.

If you want to save a little more, I would recommend this one. 16GB is soon to be the standard. 8GB is the minimum for a lot of stuff coming out now. Plus 1920 x 1080 is pretty scrunched on a 15" display. This one has a 17" and can save you about $150 with a faster CPU because it's refurbished. I'm familiar with HP refurbs, you might as well be buying brand new.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • firstblood#1267
    firstblood#1267 Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I like MSI, here's one for a few coin's more.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/MSI-GE62-Apache-276-Laptop

If you do find a laptop, go with a bigger screen size.

• xskysoldier
    xskysoldier Posts: 128 Arc User

It's a good unit, but for serious gaming you really want to avoid laptops. It's especially good that it's Intel with an Nvidia GPU since AMD is having so many issues with compatibility atm. (Particularly with games in relation to the GPU drivers and software.)

As far as the client is concerned, anything made in the past 5-7 years works perfectly.

If you want to save a little more, I would recommend this one. 16GB is soon to be the standard. 8GB is the minimum for a lot of stuff coming out now. Plus 1920 x 1080 is pretty scrunched on a 15" display. This one has a 17" and can save you about $150 with a faster CPU because it's refurbished. I'm familiar with HP refurbs, you might as well be buying brand new.​​

I used to have a pc long, long ago. But back then i was not a gamer lol..but it became super old so had to be thrown out.
    This one that you linked looks nice especially at the current price. But what's the more difference than the current one that i'm hoping to get? Maybe because it's refurbished? Sorry i'm still a bit noob..what does refurbished mean? xD

• firstblood#1267
    firstblood#1267 Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Refurbishment (electronics)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Refurbishment is the distribution of products (usually electronics and electricals) that have been previously returned to a manufacturer or vendor for various reasons. Refurbished products are normally tested for functionality and defects before they are sold. It is repaired from the manufacture and resold.

The main difference between "refurbished" and "used" products is that refurbished products have been tested and verified to function properly, and are thus free of defects, while "used" products may or may not be defective. Refurbished products may be unused customer returns that are essentially "new" items, or they may be defective products that were returned under warranty, and resold by the manufacturer after repairing the defects and ensuring proper function.[1]

• sylenthunder
    I used to have a pc long, long ago. But back then i was not a gamer lol..but it became super old so had to be thrown out.
    This one that you linked looks nice especially at the current price. But what's the more difference than the current one that i'm hoping to get? Maybe because it's refurbished? Sorry i'm still a bit noob..what does refurbished mean? xD
    Well, it's 2 inches larger, so a nicer display area and not-so-scrunched keyboard layout. Plus it's got double the RAM and a step faster CPU than the one you had linked. The only drawback is the 940 GPU instead of the 950, but personally, the difference there is marginal at best.

What refurbished means, is basically it was a lightly used PC that has been factory restored to original condition. Basically, say, someone bought the PC, and the network card went bad. SO they contacted HP, and HP sent the user a new PC, and took this one in return. Then they fix the broken components, put it though vigorous quality testing, and re-image it. It's a great way to find good deals on high-end equipment. The only drawback is they typically have a much shorter warranty period. If something is going to break as a defect though, it typically does it in the first 90 days anyway.​​

​​
  • standoffishman
    standoffishman Posts: 136 Arc User
    Is there any reason you need a laptop rather than a desktop? If so do you care about battery life or are you fine to leave it plugged in?

If you plan to play BnS then I'm not sure the HP is a great option unless you want to turn the graphics down. The 940m is actually the (equal) smallest die and lowest core count chip nvidia actually makes on their current architecture. For reference it has 384 cores, the 950m (in the asus) has 640 and high end laptop parts are around 1536-2048.

Note to 3rd parties: Yes cores aren't the be all end all but if the cooling doesn't suck and they aren't bottle necking on RoPs or VRAM (capacity or bandwidth) then it's not a horrible way to look at things. Yes core clock will play a role, no it it's not a primary concern in laptops given heat issues, the way boost clocks work and the fact it's user adjustable anyway.

On PWI I would say that old f2p mmos tend to be very funny in terms of performance. It's not at all uncommon to see much faster hardware actually preform worse even within the same brand. Realistically the actual speed is fairly unimportant on anything remotely recent however it'll run much nicer on some parts than others.
  • propolis2014
    propolis2014 Posts: 1 Arc User
    my desktop:

ASRock Z87 Pro3
    i5-3470 3200MHz, IvyBridge
    Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3, 1600MHz
    SSD Samsung 840 PRO Basic, 2.5", 128GB, SATA III
    LED IIyama ProLite XU2390HS-B1 23 inch 5 ms Black
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    My opinion on laptop vs desktop.

Laptop - shorter life, upgrading is not worth it, possibly cheaper than a desktop, per year cost is higher. $1,000 laptop good for 4 years is $250 per year.
    Desktop - longer life, easier upgrade, possibly more expensive. $1,600 computer (beast) use for 8 years is $200 per year. After 8 years, you can upgrade your graphics cards, hard disk, ram, or other parts that failed for another $400~$1,000 dollars, and your desktop can be good for another 4~8 years.

If you require a portable workstation, get a comfortable screen laptop that is not heavy to carry. Gaming will be better on the desktop still.

Also if you learn a bit more about computer hardware, you can make the the computer yourself from the parts you order and the cost can drop by $200~$500 on the $1,600 desktop. Get the items during sales, free shipping and the likes. I like to use newegg to buy parts and tomshardware to understand about the nitty gritty.

Sylen might be more aware about this amongst others, if you are using a laptop dedicated to pwi only and light net browsing and simple ms word work, might want to look into a good single core laptop with lots of ram, good graphic card and hard disk.​​
  • blankfanclub
    blankfanclub Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    There's a Dell product w/similar specs on amazon going for $799.99. It has a Skylake i5 6300hq, gtx 960m (4gb), 8gb ram, & 256gb SSD. I think it's a little better but you should keep looking around. Nvidia's Pascal is coming out this year (around summer I think?), so I think I'll wait until then myself. Hope that you helped a bit!

Ahh.. here's the link <.<

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453279859&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+i7559

• kittythecat2013
    kittythecat2013 Posts: 55 Arc User
    I know a little about PWI's 3d engine Angelica to know why some i7 CPU's don't even get 15fps and my desktop PC stays on 59~60fps in Archosaur. But I wanna know what are you guys specs and fps.

CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2ghz (Yes a 6 year old CPU)
    GPU: GeForce 9500Gt 1Gb DDR2 128bit
    MoBo: ASUS M5a78L-M LX
    HDD: Samsung HD204UI x2 (Raid-0)
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333mhz PC 10600 (4gb x2)
    Power: Sentey ERP400-SS 400W (Real 400 Watts)
    Screen: LG 710E CRT monitor 1280x1024 60hz
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    I know a little about PWI's 3d engine Angelica to know why some i7 CPU's don't even get 15fps and my desktop PC stays on 59~60fps in Archosaur. But I wanna know what are you guys specs and fps.

CPU: Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2ghz (Yes a 6 year old CPU)
    GPU: GeForce 9500Gt 1Gb DDR2 128bit
    MoBo: ASUS M5a78L-M LX
    HDD: Samsung HD204UI x2 (Raid-0)
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1333mhz PC 10600 (4gb x2)
    Power: Sentey ERP400-SS 400W (Real 400 Watts)
    Screen: LG 710E CRT monitor 1280x1024 60hz

We have the same processor onion-7.gif.

My fps running single client in pve is about 60~85. West arch, low settings about 45~50 fps. TT it hops between 35~50 fps. I don't do nw, tw these days, so no idea what it is like with mass pvp.​​
  • creysero
    creysero Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Wouldn't bother getting a new PC/Laptop just for PWI unless they update their engine :) No matter how good your pc/laptop will be your fps will drop to 0 anyways​​
    Post edited by sylenthunder on
  • xskysoldier
    edited January 2016
    creysero said:

Wouldn't bother getting a new PC/Laptop just for PWI unless they update their engine :) No matter how good your pc/laptop will be your fps will drop to 0 anyways​​

Only thing is, if they ever will update it. :x Like, is it that expensive? xD Pretty sure Wanmei makes more money from other games besides Pwi..right?

• sylenthunder
    edited January 2016
    Only thing is, if they ever will update it. :x Like, is it that expensive? xD Pretty sure Wanmei makes more money from other games besides Pwi..right?
    They re-hired the original dev's. Supposedly in part to update the engine to the newer Angelica III engine. We haven't heard anything on it in over two years now though.​​

​​
  • daymond
    daymond Posts: 273 Arc User
    alFcxeg.png
    www.Kniraven.com | Youtube.com/Kniraven | Twitch.TV/Kniraven | Facebook.com/Kniraven
  • sylenthunder
    daymond wrote: »
    You left a few off, I have a toon on every server (well, technically two on every server now.) The only ones I really played though were Lost and Sanc.

It would run it just fine. Recommended req, for FXIV is an i5 with a GTX 600 and 8GB RAM, (For DX11 gameplay). DX9 is the same specs but with half the RAM.​​

​​
  • ladydeanna1829
    ladydeanna1829 Posts: 22 Arc User
    You left a few off, I have a toon on every server (well, technically two on every server now.) The only ones I really played though were Lost and Sanc.

It would run it just fine. Recommended req, for FXIV is an i5 with a GTX 600 and 8GB RAM, (For DX11 gameplay). DX9 is the same specs but with half the RAM.​​

Recommended specs are for desktops where the i5 is quad core and the GTX 660. The i5 in the laptop is dual core and in order for it to meet recommended specs in terms of GPU it would need a 960M.

Why the hell didn't my previous post actually post?
  • sylenthunder
    Looks like stuff was stuck in the spam filter. I pulled this one out, but didn't see any others.​​

​​
  • ladydeanna1829
    ladydeanna1829 Posts: 22 Arc User

Looks like stuff was stuck in the spam filter. I pulled this one out, but didn't see any others.​​

>.>
    Stupid spam filter.
    daymond said:
    The 940M will meet minimum specs but a 960M is required to meet recommended.

For a little more you can get an i7 mobile CPU teamed with a 960M which will be in the sweet spot for price to performance. Look at machines from xoticpc with a 960M and 6700HQ. They will run you maybe $300 more than the above recommended unit but you will get 3-4x the performance from the machine.

(Yay this one may have proper formatting?)
  • xskysoldier
    They re-hired the original dev's. Supposedly in part to update the engine to the newer Angelica III engine. We haven't heard anything on it in over two years now though.​​

Be honest Sylen, do you ever think this Engine will come to our servers? Then again..probably not.

• sylenthunder
    Be honest Sylen, do you ever think this Engine will come to our servers? Then again..probably not.
    It will come to us, probably about 6 months after it shows on PW-CN in China.
    Since that hasn't happened yet, probably we're looking at at least a year. Given the direction Management has been taking, I'm betting on never. Which is really sad, because it could seriously re-vitalize the game.​​

​​
  • standoffishman
    standoffishman Posts: 136 Arc User

It will come to us, probably about 6 months after it shows on PW-CN in China.

Since that hasn't happened yet, probably we're looking at at least a year. Given the direction Management has been taking, I'm betting on never. Which is really sad, because it could seriously re-vitalize the game.​​

This is sorta semi related but I've been wondering for awhile. Do you ever have any additional information at all that the public does not as a mod? Or are you as in the dark as every else is about everything. I assume it wouldn't be much if you do but I just wanted to check.
  • sylenthunder
    This is sorta semi related but I've been wondering for awhile. Do you ever have any additional information at all that the public does not as a mod? Or are you as in the dark as every else is about everything. I assume it wouldn't be much if you do but I just wanted to check.
    For the most part, No.

Back when frankieraye was the CM, I had a lot of discussions with him and several of the other GM's at the time. I was also in direct discussions with the folks in China and worked with the developers there. I wasn't even a mod then, and the only thing I really didn't know was what the Marketing Teams plans were. That was the end of the golden days though (really it started the downfall when eatswithspoons left), and since then my contacts have dried up considerably. Plus, a few years ago, life changed an I don't do all the coding with the client I did, and I no longer host my own servers.

Lately, I get zero information. I get the same treatment you guys do on pretty much everything. No one at PWE is talking. There is no information being shared.
    It's pretty freaking frustrating.​​

​​
  • xskysoldier
    It's not fair how Pwe is treating their own people like nothing..i thought they cared about this game but i guess not. >,>

• bhaven
    bhaven Posts: 45 Arc User
    Doesn't matter what pc you buy. Pwi will always blame your pic for any problems in your among experience and refuse to accept this game runs like **** whether it's on a toaster or on a super quantum computer built by bill gates himself.
  • keihan007#7641
    keihan007#7641 Posts: 1,190 Arc User
    Honestly, if you want PWI optimized comp, go with Intel processors. AMD is cheaper but utilizes multi cores more, which doesnt work too well with this game. I am personally stuck with AMD processors as I am too cheap to change perfectly fine working parts just to swap processor to Intel.
    BlackList vs Frenzied 3/17

https://youtu.be/RkkWkigYd3k
  • tetraem007
    tetraem007 Posts: 129 Arc User
    bhaven said:

Doesn't matter what pc you buy. Pwi will always blame your pic for any problems in your among experience and refuse to accept this game runs like **** whether it's on a toaster or on a super quantum computer built by bill gates himself.

I can't agree. It did run smooth (with low res) on a netbook (bought in 2007). And it did run smooth with any Desktop PC and notebook which I had in meanwhile.
    And ofc every up-to-date system is "overpowerd" for this old game (e.g. my Desktop PC right now: intel i7 6700K/4 GHz, 32 GB DDR4, graphicboard with 4 GB DDR5). I can let it run on "any" res and with all details, I never had any problems.
  • sylenthunder
    That's a good one. 128GB for the Windows drive is a bit small though, so you'll have to be really careful about installing all the programs on the secondary drive.​​

​​
  • xskysoldier

That's a good one. 128GB for the Windows drive is a bit small though, so you'll have to be really careful about installing all the programs on the secondary drive.​​

Damn, it's a bit difficult trying to find a good one for Pwi. D: xD