Black Screen after a few minutes

tolots
tolots Posts: 103 Arc User
After the patch on 9.12.15 my pwi produces a black screen after a few minutes of playtime. Changing the graphics settings dosnt help. i can't alt+tab out of the screen but have to do a hard reboot of my pc. Anyone else got the same problem after recent patch ?

I use a GforceGTX970 on Windows10 and my system is above the requirements to play pwi. I play it for a while and never had problems so far.
I updated my drives to newest version and will now reinstall pwi. If that dosnt help im out of ideas :(

Comments

• tolots
    edited December 2015
    sry double post
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I repair computers for a living. Black screens are most typically produced by overheated CPUs (like 90% of the time). PSUs that don't have enough energy to keep up can also cause this. GPUs can cause this when they are failing. GPUs can also cause this when they're overheating as well, although most of the time those will just cause a system to shut down because of safety settings. Bad RAM can cause this as well.

I recommend checking the temperature of your components. You may have improper air flow or a malfunctioning fan on your CPU heatsink. If that's not it, try taking out one memory module and running the game. If it shuts down, then put it back in and take out a different one. Do that until all have been taken out. Now, if taking out one of them causes the game to run fine, it's a bad memory module. With the others, unless you have spare parts, you may want to take it to a computer repair place. On the other hand, if you have spare parts, (also assuming the PSU is greater than or equal to your current), you can keep swapping out pieces to see if the same problem occurs.

Note: PWI has nothing to do with your problem. It was a coincidence that your system started having issues when PWI was updated. You may also want to make sure your system is not corrupted, which could also cause this issue, although more often than not it causes the blue screen of death.

Edit: I forgot to note, but pretty much every component on the computer can cause the black screen of death. I just listed the more common reasons I've seen for it happening. HDD overheating or failing can also cause the black screen of death, but more often than not, cause the blue screen of death or freezes.​​
    Post edited by nrglg on

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • joecisco
    joecisco Posts: 102 Arc User
    Recently upgrade to Windows 10? There's a sticky there with tips.

Oh, and you could be using a toaster for you GPU and PWI wouldn't care.
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    This likely has nothing to do with Windows 10.

The keywords are: "black screen", "can't alt+tab", "hard reboot"

These symptoms are typically caused by hardware issues.

Edit: On very rare occasion it could be a software driver issue. Like the recent AMD Crimson drivers that were cooking people's GPUs because the fan was locked at 20%.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • tolots
    The problem seem to be fixed. It looked like the last patch messed up some morai files and a repair fixed it. Maybe my internet connection was bad on the day of the patch, because its only me who had this problem.

I used a tool to check gpu temperature its around 63 °C when i run pwi , so it shouln't be the issue. Anyways thanks for the help guys !
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    tolots wrote: »
    The problem seem to be fixed. It looked like the last patch messed up some morai files and a repair fixed it. Maybe my internet connection was bad on the day of the patch, because its only me who had this problem.

I used a tool to check gpu temperature its around 63 °C when i run pwi , so it shouln't be the issue. Anyways thanks for the help guys !

That's a bit warm for that card when running PWI, unless you're on a laptop. Just FYI.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!