Cross-Server Event Time Discussion

Comments

• axel320
    axel320 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Thats the biggest load of bull i've ever heard. I'm a CSE major and this is full of lies that the developers cannot change the time.

Here is the real truth:

1. They picked the time CET 8:00 most likely because the server hosting it is in EU.

2. They coded that into the system

3. There is no such thing as something you cannot change when creating something with code. Go back to school if you think that is true

4. Hard does not mean impossible

5. They are being lazy.

6. To be completely honest, changing the time the event is set to, or even better, creating multiple time slots is actually rather easy, it is just alot of copy and paste, it can be done in a few hours. In fact they have the code already, take a look at tw for instance.​​

Oooh, here we go. I love people like you, it's such easy pickings.

First off, here's a protip: calling yourself "a CSE major" means literally nothing, except that it tells us that you're arrogant enough to think that means something. First, because the fact that you're still in school means that you've likely not faced the sort of actual roadblocks around production environments that are important in these sorts of situations; and second, because a computer science degree means jack ****. I know way too many people that have one and are still completely and utterly incompetent.

Even with all of the above said, if your points were actually remotely reasonable I might be willing to let it slide. That said:
    1. They picked the 8pm CET time because they believed it was the best option to manage a cross-server event across such a large timezone gap. Sure, they're listing the time in CET because the server is hosted in Europe, and they're hosting it in Europe because as mentioned/quoted multiple times in this thread, they had to to avoid massive issues. The exact time chosen, however, has nothing to do with which server they're hosting it on. They could just as easily have done it at 8PM PST (5AM CET) and still had it hosted in Europe.
    2. No. Two points in and you've already gone past wrong to absurdly wrong. They didn't "code" 8pm CET into the system. I won't claim to know the ins and outs of PW server software (Sylen could give more detail than I could), but my guess is PWE has either some config application or editable config file that handles when NW runs. The chances of it being "coded" into the game are minimal to zero. Even if it were, PWE isn't allowed to modify the code itself even if they were capable of doing so -- PWCN has to make any and all code changes, and PWCN is clearly not willing to make this change specifically for our version when no other PW version has need of it.
    3. Arguable from a realism perspective, but that's neither here nor there. Since (2) is invalid, this point provides no support.
    4. This wasn't even relevant before anyone started arguing your points.
    5. Again, not relevant. The fault here lies with PWCN, not PWE, and I'm not even sure you can fault them for not wanting to continue to make custom changes like this for our version.
    6. If you honestly think that NW and TW are remotely similarly coded, or that "copy and paste" is ever a proper solution to any programming-related issue ever, I hope you are still a long, long way from graduation. This is on top of the fact that, as I mentioned above, the times are almost definitely not hard-coded.
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Most likely the actual physical server that is hosting the map will be located in the East Coast offices. If not that, then West coast.

Depending on how they coded the original event, will depend on how "hard-coded" it is in the system. It's not like you can just up and willy-nilly change TW times because those are very hard-coded into the system, but it is entirely possible. The same could theoretically be done with the cross-server NW event, but it's not like I have access to the current server code right now to check. (I probably could get it if I wanted to, but I don't have the free time available to put time and energy into it currently.)
    Most likely they used a similar system as to how TW is coded, in which case making different times for the same event will be near-impossible because of how it's designed. Technically you could create two separate instances, but then you're going to have some real issues with map management and especially with rankings.

As axel320 stated, the biggest issue will be communication between PWE and Wanmei on what to change, and how far Wanmei is willing to bend for again, creating custom code that is specific to only our version. Code which will be guaranteed to have problems in future updates if that is done.

In any case, all this discussion back and forth is completely off the topic of this thread, and I may just splinter it off into it's own crapfest. This thread is for you to suggest times that may be appropriate so that PWE will get some input from the community on timing.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cherybomb8
    cherybomb8 Posts: 27 Arc User
    Too much whining. We're all awake at night anyhow. Share the nation war times. And you all knew cross server NW was coming. Why are you treating this as a new idea? No plan in history has ever accomodated everyone on the planet. Set a time and people who want to be here will find a way to be. And brighten up. You know it's gonna be fun;)
  • keihan007#7641
    keihan007#7641 Posts: 1,190 Arc User
    @mintsummer How does the battle for treasure island schedule look like? Just wondering if itscertain time set on CET, it would be pretty horrible time for Americans majority of your playerbase consists of. Or I am assuming battle for tresasure island is between the 2 saturday TW times slots as you guys adjusted the 2pm to start at 1:30pm instead. From here I would deduce the time slot for BfTI is 1.30pm +3h30mins (3h TW duration + 30mins as wars start 3mins apart) aka 5pm. 5pm CET is 8am west coast, which just wouldnt work imo. And if you have major issues changing times for NW, do you think you can manage it for BfTI if times are horrible for Muricans?

In short, how does the Battle for Treasure Island schedule look like and do you have power to adjust it in case its bad for Americans or do you run to same issues as with NW?
    BlackList vs Frenzied 3/17

https://youtu.be/RkkWkigYd3k
  • dagoddominator
    dagoddominator Posts: 218 Arc User
    please please please stop throwing around CET time like they arbitrarily decided to use a specific time in CET.
    • the server hosting the event is set to CET time
    • what is hard coded is the TIME OF DAY for the event, if they hosted it in east coast server it would be 20:10 EST
    • when they say hard coded that just means they entered the time in-line and without using a variable to hold the value, think about it this way: if cash registers calculated the tax you pay on a purchase by doing [subtotal x 1.0875 = total] instead of [subtotal x tax =total]. big difference there, because now you have to change the actual number in each and every calculation in their code pertaining to NW. it would be really hard to correct this if they have to then compile all this together, but it should not be impossible.
    • there is no time that will be good for server spread as far as 9 hours apart, so i agree with scrapping NW or splitting the EU server off but then they would really need to work out server transfers.
  • zoner112012
    zoner112012 Posts: 943 Arc User
    We need to face facts...Cross server things will NEVER come to a consensus. There should be more..and they should split the times up...make it where you can only come once a week...and have it at different times to satisfy different people. It is literally the ONLY way to make it work. You will NEVER come to a consensus among the people as to a good time...there will always be people that aren't happy. You already lost several thousands of dollars in future business from some players with this new update...xD
    ln5aR6B.jpg
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    I think considering everyone has come to the conclusion that we can't all be happy 100% of the time, leave times as they are. Europeans will be able to make one of them without being awake at stupid hours and North Americans will have one running on a day most will not be at work. It's a win/loss - win/loss.​​
  • tidustheswordwarrior
    tidustheswordwarrior Posts: 50 Arc User
    cross server nw will never work specially since most of North America is mostly at work or school during these times. the only vital solution is to put it back to its original form and never bring up cross server again. The vast majority of those that live in NA are mostly online during the evening/night hours. Plus these hours are for game fanatics who have no life. Over in the Us we have a life to live without being dictated by a game that is mostly **** us over or causing a lot of bugs and glitches.
    As for the time change, here's the actual fact: 11:10am west (12:10 MT, 1:10CT, 2:10ET) those are the times when it starts for each of the US/NA time zones and even on Sundays not everyone can make it due to rl things going on. Fridays is a complete joke since like I said, most are at work/school. Just now I just saw over Etherblade wc that everyone was dcing upon entering with 1200 players already inside. This is a massive over crowding where players wont want to do it and just leave it to the OP types to just slaughter each other. So this equals a loss/loss/loss/loss/loss x1000.

• oreowarrior
    oreowarrior Posts: 71 Arc User

Too much whining. We're all awake at night anyhow. Share the nation war times. And you all knew cross server NW was coming. Why are you treating this as a new idea? No plan in history has ever accomodated everyone on the planet. Set a time and people who want to be here will find a way to be. And brighten up. You know it's gonna be fun;)

you get the feelings shes European :D
  • sylenthunder
    I see I need to split off all the whining into a new topic for sure now. I'll get something to eat and some coffee first though, otherwise the new topic will be something like "QQ PWE didn't cater to my stupid ****"

Cross-server events when the servers span 10 time zones will never be easy to figure out. Especially when you have another full series of events occurring in each server's own time zones to work around. It becomes very difficult to find a spot to fit it in, and PWE did they best they could come up with for it.

This thread was created at mintsummer's idea of taking our opinions on suggested times. It is not to whine about why the choice was made, or to ask about other events. If you do not have a suggestion for a time that doesn't overlap with one of the three sets of TW times, then don't post in this thread. I'll make another QQ thread for you guys to go with all the other QQ threads flooding the forums right now.​​

​​
  • guyin
    guyin Posts: 16 Arc User
    Seems like PWI has lost connection with the people that make their paychecks possible. Changing things that stir issues is not condusive with stablity. !st you make getting r9 nearly impossible (btw you make money when people buy r9), your feelings are to limit people with lots of cash from buying r9, in reality all you have done is foster that action. This NW fiasco is another example of increased difficulty to making advanced armor. Please take the time to think it thru and not attempt to cure the superficial issues. People with money pay your salaries, without them you close the doors. Stop worrying about the rich, you will never beat them. Please consider the little guy who spends some cash and just wants to enjoy the game, what you're doing is eliminating the little guy from the game.
  • jamesmcd
    jamesmcd Posts: 89 Arc User
    Has anyone twigged to the fact that although china spans 5 geographical timezones it has only 1 standard time + a few special region time zones?

This being so there is no problem for them having xserver NW in china at any given time cause all their servers will be evenly populated (assuming they were in the first place ).

However PWI (perfect world INTERNATIONAL) has players from all the timezones that are blocked from playing PWCN. This first xserver NW excludes all players in the USA that have to work for a living, being just before lunch for west coast people and just after lunch for east coast.

Considering this, it is really no surprise that the european server had around 2 or 3 times more people than any of the other 3. One can only hope that for the sunday xserver NW, no PWI west coast player goes to morning church
  • sylenthunder
    edited November 2015
    jamesmcd wrote: »
    Has anyone twigged to the fact that although china spans 5 geographical timezones it has only 1 standard time + a few special region time zones?

This being so there is no problem for them having xserver NW in china at any given time cause all their servers will be evenly populated (assuming they were in the first place ).

However PWI (perfect world INTERNATIONAL) has players from all the timezones that are blocked from playing PWCN. This first xserver NW excludes all players in the USA that have to work for a living, being just before lunch for west coast people and just after lunch for east coast.

Considering this, it is really no surprise that the european server had around 2 or 3 times more people than any of the other 3. One can only hope that for the sunday xserver NW, no PWI west coast player goes to morning church
    Closing this for now. There are already other threads on the subject and I'll merge it into them later.

Also, subbing "xserver" for "cross-server" is just lazy and makes you look like an incompetent child.​​
    Post edited by sylenthunder on

​​
  • jadasia
    jadasia Posts: 520 Arc User
    If cross server events were in the works along with server merges the logical thing to have been done was to merge the EU server into HL instead of the other way around.
  • shopcheese
    shopcheese Posts: 758 Arc User
    While I feel sorry HL were forced into EU timezone, I would feel even more sorry for the European people who gave up their characters to start over on a server that would match their timezone, only to be moved back into US.
  • razzzza
    razzzza Posts: 456 Arc User
    jadasia wrote: »
    If cross server events were in the works along with server merges the logical thing to have been done was to merge the EU server into HL instead of the other way around.

yea merge the biggest server INTO the smallest one sounds like a great idea mouse-2.gif

some people​​
    m5k9ne4c.jpg
  • bev1
    bev1 Posts: 13 Arc User
    i miss the old nw it was alot better at 8 pm sever time they new one i couldnt even get in it i try friday and sunday dc didnt get in gm plz fix it not fair on others who cant even get in nw and there nothing to do now on weekends nw used to be fun now its not
  • sasquatch87
    sasquatch87 Posts: 51 Arc User
    I'm too lazy to read the other comments so I appologies if this was already suggested. Would it be possiable to change it back to old time on friday and keep it on the new time on Sunday? Since 3/4 servers are on US time it hardly seems to fair to have NW during work hours (for most people) on Friday.
  • sylenthunder
    I'm too lazy to read the other comments so I appologies if this was already suggested. Would it be possiable to change it back to old time on friday and keep it on the new time on Sunday? Since 3/4 servers are on US time it hardly seems to fair to have NW during work hours (for most people) on Friday.
    If you weren't lazy and bothered to read the first post, you would see why this won't work so swell.​​

​​
  • hypereccentrik
    hypereccentrik Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Seeing as my post from the previous threads didn't make it here I will post my suggestion here as well....

Anyways I think the best thing to do is to give back our old NW with the old times ( 20:10 to 22:10 pst) and once a week have the new cross server NW on Sunday at the new 20:10 to 22:10 CET. Also the token count for the new cross server NW has not been increased to accommodate 4 servers at once.
    Doing it the way I suggested would NOT exclude anyone. If you don't want people to do 2 NW'S a day make it so the overseer Aban (?) NPC gives you a token allowing you to enter only once. So if on Sunday you decide to do the cross sever NW you will have used the token not allowing you to attend the regular NW later that day.
  • cyberomega45
    cyberomega45 Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    If the time cannot be changed from 20:10 CET to another time like Saturday at 05:10 CET which would make it 8:10 pm PDT on Friday (Our old time for west coast), then make it on Saturday and Sunday 20:10 CET. I did exactly what the original post asked and put the time in CET.
  • shopcheese
    shopcheese Posts: 758 Arc User
    How about... No CS-NW at Friday, but regular NW.. and only have Cross Server Nation Wars on Sundays o.o
  • hockey57
    hockey57 Posts: 35 Arc User
    How about no cross server at all. Just go back to what it was.​​
  • limonazza
    limonazza Posts: 332 Arc User
    i hope they fix the rewards​​
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    After experiencing cross-server NW for a weekend as an EU player, I have to say I actually kind of like the old times more. monkey-43.gif Evening NW is definitely nice, but it actually interferes with my activities, especially on Fridays, so I'll skip Friday NWs altogether as I can simply participate on Sundays.

I assume cross-server TW will happen on Saturday at CET for similar reasons as NW. But my Saturday evenings aren't always free either. At least 2pm TWs (midnight for me) always guaranteed that I will be at home (with rare exceptions). The same goes for 8pm (6am for me) TWs, though it really sucked having to wake up so early (of course, I only woke up for important TWs, not all) and I usually played like **** because of sleepiness.

I realise this is an isolated case, and many EU players are probably relieved to have NW at a convenient time. I just want to share my thoughts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ However, I am so thankful the time wasn't based on east coast. That timezone is the worse possible for me and probably others who live in a similar timezone as me. It's the "too late to stay up but too early to wake up for" kind of deal.

I think at this point nothing will change, and I'd rather not move NW days otherwise the upcoming cross-server TW will be put in a worse place. At least people who can't attend Friday NW still have a chance on Sunday. With the new TW though, I think it has to be on Saturday so at least more people have the possibility to attend.

​​
  • alluisseskock
    alluisseskock Posts: 9 Arc User
    Just keep times how they are :D first we rage when eu and us servers get together and ur forced to play in US now we finally get something in return for it -.-' EU time based NW yay!
  • jadasia
    jadasia Posts: 520 Arc User
    razzzza said:

jadasia wrote: »

yea merge the biggest server INTO the smallest one sounds like a great idea mouse-2.gif

some people​​

You completely failed to grasp the concept of that point. But ok. (Pssst. It had something to do with not ***** over 3 servers (oops 4 if you count HL) in favor of 1)

Geez...some people...
  • lfrodol
    lfrodol Posts: 1 Arc User

Seeing as my post from the previous threads didn't make it here I will post my suggestion here as well....

Anyways I think the best thing to do is to give back our old NW with the old times ( 20:10 to 22:10 pst) and once a week have the new cross server NW on Sunday at the new 20:10 to 22:10 CET. Also the token count for the new cross server NW has not been increased to accommodate 4 servers at once.

Doing it the way I suggested would NOT exclude anyone. .

I like this idea....
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Based on what I see from times both EU and NA have a equal shot at joining I really dont understand the bitching. None of them really overlap they just are back to back cant keep up with fast pace movement go sit down gramps. Events are awful time for me and I can make it because of the fact I WANT to, stop whining for cross server events then ***** and moan its not specifically beneficial to you. They provided a way each side gets screwed which is perfectly fair as oppose to just one get screwed ppl yall sound selfish as hell stop looking at your own personal preferences and look at the bigger picture its a freaking atleast 7hr diff did you really expect enough ours in the day to be fair for both get outta here...
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • fyresong
    fyresong Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Just a suggestion here. We are used to having the nations balanced automatically from the old intra-server NW. It might make sense for GMs to monitor server populations in NW and come up with a reasonable cap. From what I've seen, a cap of 400 or 450 would be more reasonable to prevent other servers from completely overwhelming the other nations. This might also help with some of the lag we've seen. As an example the screenshot below is of the NW situation at the beginning of NW on Sunday, November 22. The difference between the highest population server and the lowest population server was over 200 people. This is a significant difference.​​

Post edited by fyresong on