Is it worth returning to the game for PvP?

I was playing PWI 5 years ago, I was thinking to come back to play mainly for PvP .
Worth or not?
Btw are there enough active people to play with?

Comments

• mosz
    mosz Posts: 247 Arc User
    what pvp game can one come back to after 5 years and not be a 1 shot?
    if you cant use the forum search to see the near daily topic "should i come back" then no, its not worth it, its more worth it to go back to elementary school
  • hypereccentrik
    hypereccentrik Posts: 529 Arc User
    Lol I don't think so. I am on the verge of quitting playing this game altogether. If you were to return I would say return for the pve cause the pvp you will be way behind and unless you like being constantly one shot then coming back for the pvp wouldn't be the wisest choice. Then again you could always log in and see for yourself
  • razzzza
    razzzza Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Sure why not, its not like coming back after 5 years would matter at all. you can start a new character anyways because your character from 5 years will be oneshot from every angle possible.

Coming back and expect things to blow up soon enough and you cant wait to dive into fights? Better use those 10.000€ your grandma gave you wisely and spend it at points that matters. (dailys will take you atleast a year anyways to be really ready to take off).

Coming back but got a bit of spare time to burn in this game? Better expect pvp to start getting serious in 3 years or so because you will be farming, merching etc allday everyday to get a hand of it. You cant speed up those dailys anyway so you better login every day :*

Take your poison :)​​
    m5k9ne4c.jpg
  • cynderangel
    cynderangel Posts: 193 Arc User
    The gap between new and old players is just too huge. It is possible to find people on your level/gear to pvp with, but if you're wanting territory war and pvp events, unless you drop a lot of money or dedicate all of your time to pwi, it's not happening.

As a side note, the pve is fun and reasonable.
    102/101/102 cleric
  • unbarb
    unbarb Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    The PVP side almost dead!
    Post edited by unbarb on
  • foley3k
    foley3k Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    msms1234 said:

I was playing PWI 5 years ago, I was thinking to come back to play mainly for PvP .
    Worth or not?

Not sure if you know, but they merged servers recently and made each server PvE. You can still choose to PvP, but most are blue named. If you find someone to PvP, you will be 1 shot cause they maxed out their credit cards to get the things they have in game.
    The amount of time you need to spend doing dailies to catch up to other things other then gear, would take a while as well.
    I would say just find something else to play. The GMs dont care about the game, and there has been a few things PWE has done this year to indicate that they are on the last legs of the game.
    NGTUy53.png

• umaro
    umaro Posts: 7 Arc User
    There are better games you can pvp for MUCH less than here. I know a game where you can be competitive FOR FREE. Why would you come to this game for PVP? You're not going to have fun unless you are crazy enough to spend lots of time or money. Not worth it.
  • msms1234
    msms1234 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    mosz said:

what pvp game can one come back to after 5 years and not be a 1 shot?
    if you cant use the forum search to see the near daily topic "should i come back" then no, its not worth it, its more worth it to go back to elementary school

Lol I don't think so. I am on the verge of quitting playing this game altogether. If you were to return I would say return for the pve cause the pvp you will be way behind and unless you like being constantly one shot then coming back for the pvp wouldn't be the wisest choice. Then again you could always log in and see for yourself

razzzza said:

Sure why not, its not like coming back after 5 years would matter at all. you can start a new character anyways because your character from 5 years will be oneshot from every angle possible.

Coming back and expect things to blow up soon enough and you cant wait to dive into fights? Better use those 10.000€ your grandma gave you wisely and spend it at points that matters. (dailys will take you atleast a year anyways to be really ready to take off).

Coming back but got a bit of spare time to burn in this game? Better expect pvp to start getting serious in 3 years or so because you will be farming, merching etc allday everyday to get a hand of it. You cant speed up those dailys anyway so you better login every day :*

Take your poison :)​​

The gap between new and old players is just too huge. It is possible to find people on your level/gear to pvp with, but if you're wanting territory war and pvp events, unless you drop a lot of money or dedicate all of your time to pwi, it's not happening.

As a side note, the pve is fun and reasonable.

unbarb said:

The PVP side almost dead!

teabagg said:

pvp died in 2009.Now its just limited to the cashouts that have their everyday drama out in west arch gate.This game pvp is blah.

foley3k said:

msms1234 said:

Worth or not?

Not sure if you know, but they merged servers recently and made each server PvE. You can still choose to PvP, but most are blue named. If you find someone to PvP, you will be 1 shot cause they maxed out their credit cards to get the things they have in game.
    The amount of time you need to spend doing dailies to catch up to other things other then gear, would take a while as well.
    I would say just find something else to play. The GMs dont care about the game, and there has been a few things PWE has done this year to indicate that they are on the last legs of the game.
    so... for PvE worth to return ? .. and what kinds of PvE are there ?
    and I see you say " pvp is dead" so PvE is like very active?
    Oh and generally,are there many people playing or game is dead?
  • razzzza
    The PvE itself is fine and fun. gets a bit boring at times or when you have good gear but in a nutshell its an alright content of stuff and they will add more with the new upcoming update which cant be too far away.

PvP is not as dead as they make it out to be, TW is still very active, NW is fun and alot of people do it weekly, RPK is a bit on the low side of active thats correct because everyone and their mother went blue name when server merge came around and i cant blame them because only the top notch people stayed white/red name and went on steamroll everyone who is still white name (atleast i have the experience with it).

Point still stands that you need alot of time and real money to be able to fight people so its up to you.

PvE need neither of those, the time you need really depends on how much knowledge ou have left, general MMORPG knowledge and be able to communicate with people and finding a faction which helps with stuff here and there.
    Endgame PvE really doesnt need alot to be able to do it except maybe the last dungeon on hard mode but usually +5 refine is enough for everythink and you dont need a dime when you are aiming for pve only.

Cheers :)​​
    m5k9ne4c.jpg
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    The thing is, it takes too long to catch up if you've been gone for 5 years... unless you use real-life money. Even then, some things can't be bought with money/coins and you need "farm" them in game. There are a lot of things you need to do besides getting some decent gear. You certainly don't need to be "endgame" in order to enjoy PvP, but for someone who's been gone from the game so long it's pretty discouraging.

Low level/Low geared PK is mostly dead. Nothing really stops you from gathering a group of people and PKing like that, but it's hard to find people that would be interested in such a thing. With that in mind, you'll probably be a 1-shot to many people, unable to enjoy any decent PvP (Well, unless you are a Venomancer. I've had some fun in NWs on my 1-shot Venomancer on Morai server, before they merged and became Dawn Glory).

For PvE you don't need much, you can get away with just Morai lvl95 gear. However, you will be very squishy and you will have to stay back on certain bosses. However, better gear farm-able and not too hard to acquire. There is also Quicksand Maze gear for lower levels which is very good and easy to get. I just forgot how you obtain it. I think some daily quests give you materials, and then you do some QSM runs.

Most casual or PvE-only players opt for Nirvana G16, which is the best farma-ble* gear you can get. It requires some effort and time but it's do-able even for casual players.

*Rank 9 gear is technically farm-able, too. A lot of people farmed their R9 set in-game without using real-life money but getting R9 like that takes time & dedication that some people can't afford to invest.
    ​​
  • cynderangel
    cynderangel Posts: 193 Arc User
    Reading some of the other posts made me want to change what I said about pvp a bit.. Whether or not you'll enjoy it depends on you. I'm a one shot to 80% of the players in Nation War (I'm an odd mix of grade 16 and tt99), but I still manage to have fun when I go. I know dueling isn't quite the pvp you're looking for, but it may satisfy your pvp itch at low levels. And there are smaller territory war factions where you will have a chance for fun, competitive tw without being swarmed by the rank 9s.

If it's uber, OP, top of the game pvp you want... then just no.

As for pve, there's your normal questing, farming, gearing up, dungeon running, boss fighting, grinding etc that you would expect from any decent mmo.

If you're curious, why not make a new toon and give it another try? See if you like how the game feels. Keep in mind that 100+ gameplay is more active than under 100 gameplay as far as squad making goes though. As far as if the game is dead, it's still active. For how long, I don't know, but lots of us still enjoy it.
    102/101/102 cleric
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    Oh that is true, actually. It kinda slipped my mind. Smaller factions still TW, and NW can be fun at times. I guess, yeah, it depends on what kind of PvP you are interested in.​​
  • hypereccentrik
    hypereccentrik Posts: 529 Arc User
    You can still do most of and feel apart of most pvp such as TW and NW but without max gear you will never have a chance with the shet talk, qq 1 vs 1, my e peen is bigger then yours west gate smack down pvp!
  • shag1991
    shag1991 Posts: 31 Arc User
    You had a better chance with PVP b4 merger, my main is full nirvana g16 all refined to 5 and 6 which are farmable, most of my nuemas are level 6 would be maxed if it wasnt for that annoying UCH runs for lvl 7, currently i have near 900 spirit and im equipped with 5 A cards and 1 S soulprime card. Now as someone stated before nirvana g16 isnt bad gear and i manage to survive in practically all pve scenarios, i can also solo most instances, yet im still a 1 shot for many and its worst now after merger. These days i cant even bother to stay innw for the full 2 hrs, its just depressing. Also what i think they meant when they said you will have stuff to farm is that even though im not end game, i can still beat some r999 people and thats because they have low spirit, so you may cash shop and get gear, but you're looking at months to raise your sky levels and nuemas which will raise your spirit and not to mention that annoying meridian system that can take forever if you have no luck, im on my final gate now and ive been at it for a long time, there are simple boost like titles, they add up eventually. There are also passives which you will need to farm items to level; if i checked correctly you need like 300 bloods to max your passive and you get 2 per day from quest and you can say more by added effort (UCH) and luck( drake). Avatar cards are a must, shame you chose now and not when they had those nice login and wraith hunter events. What im saying is there is so much that you will need to farm if you ever plan to seriously pvp. So if you do come back i say Good Luck and happy farming
  • reelana
    reelana Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    It takes time and money to get to the top end of this game and here is why
    Levels-they introduce re birthing a while ago, once you have hit lvl 100 you can do it again 2 more times for stat bonus, plus it open a new area. Max lvl is 105, 105, 105. RB also opens a new stat bonus system.

Titles- title quest which also take time give stat bonus and there are a lot of them.

Avatar System- You collect cards, then to lvl up these cards you must kill dungeon bosses for numa. Not as hard as it sounds, but you can only kill 20 of them a week. These give you stat bonuses.

Meridian System- It is a chance bases system where you open what are called gates by spending pills, you get a few mystical pills a day and you can spend up to 5 a day or you can use up to 100 holy pills a day.

Gear- Top gear is rank 9 re rolled 2x, or 9rrr. Rank 9 is expensive and re-rolling isn't free. And this isn't mentioning refining costs to get each of your gears up to +12 and sharding.

Also as it has already been pointed out the servers are now pve, there is some pvp in that some players, usually top geared player will stay in pvp mode. But most pvp is happens in NW and TW. But be prepared to be one shot if you don't have top gear.

• razzzza
    You forgot to mention the new star chart system that at this point in the game takes over 300 years to max out.
    Ofc there is a CHANCE to get the best chart on the very first roll but chances are you wont get it.. ever :)​​
    m5k9ne4c.jpg
  • artixstar90
    artixstar90 Posts: 22 Arc User
    if you cashshop then Starcharts wont take 300+years to do, but the overall cost is expensive. if NW and TW is enough to statisfy your PvP needs theb go for it. Being a one-shot in them aren't so bad that it makes it not fun. if anything it makes you more alert keeping an eye out for any threat while also looking for teammates to support, either by buffing them or assist attack while they take the damage. if you're looking for in world PvP, that doesnt happen anymore as 1 there are no PvP servers after the merge 2 most people in pk mode are either at west gate or silver pool
  • darieann
    darieann Posts: 1 Arc User
    Go play private server if you are looking for pvp. Otherwise you are probably just wasting a lot of time & $ here.
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    To all those people who are vouching for tw, remember folks, bigger the faction, greater the lag fox-1.gif. Bigger factions = rarely get good fights, harder to get into due to gear and level requirement.

Smaller tw factions = easier to get in, more fun fights.

I like tw, but my biggest issue is fps drop during fights. Sometimes it is as bad as 1~2. If you face a similar issue, go to the tech support section. Read the sticky there, follow those steps, if it helps awesome. If it does not, post the information there, with specs and other stuff and people will help you out.

The above statement was true 2 years ago monkey-1.gif.​​
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    jabq wrote: »
    To all those people who are vouching for tw, remember folks, bigger the faction, greater the lag fox-1.gif. Bigger factions = rarely get good fights, harder to get into due to gear and level requirement.

Smaller tw factions = easier to get in, more fun fights.

I like tw, but my biggest issue is fps drop during fights. Sometimes it is as bad as 1~2. If you face a similar issue, go to the tech support section. Read the sticky there, follow those steps, if it helps awesome. If it does not, post the information there, with specs and other stuff and people will help you out.

The above statement was true 2 years ago monkey-1.gif.
    The drop in FPS is entirely on the capability of your system. Even in big battles I don't drop much below 25FPS which is perfectly playable.
    If your system cannot handle the load on the CPU, then turn on simple models. It helps a lot.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    The drop in FPS is entirely on the capability of your system. Even in big battles I don't drop much below 25FPS which is perfectly playable.
    If your system cannot handle the load on the CPU, then turn on simple models. It helps a lot.

When i get into tw again, i will bug you on the tech forum about it fox-25.gif.​​
  • zenmonkeyzzz
    zenmonkeyzzz Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2015

sylenthunder wrote: »
    If your system cannot handle the load on the CPU, then turn on simple models. It helps a lot.

How do you set "simple models" ? Is there a setting somewhere ?
  • sylenthunder
    Upper left row of buttons is a performance button where you can adjust lighting effects and models to further tweak the performance of the client.​​

​​
  • spaz95
    spaz95 Posts: 110 Arc User

If your system cannot handle the load on the CPU, then turn on simple models. It helps a lot.​​

So your telling me my Pc that runs witcher 3 on high/ultra in 1080p at 60-70 fps cant handle PWI? Coz I was in a TW where my FPS in the main battle zone was 1-3. Perfect world has a very old and out dated engine that runs poorly.

In the middle of west arch if I turn all graphics down to the lowest my FPS increases by 6 frames... 6 frames being the difference from maxed out settings to the lowest possible... That cant be my pc choking. Thats the game.
  • aeternusdoleo
    aeternusdoleo Posts: 180 Arc User
    Something to consider:
    When coming back after 5 years, it'll mean you'll have one of the legacy classes. These are generally in demand for PvE purposes (Seeker, Cleric, Veno, BM and Barb mainly. Archer... not so much). There are a lot of players still there, but you'll have a TON of catching up to do. Rebirth x2 - if you have half-decent gear and know your class that shouldn't be too big a deal. War avatars - bigger deal since you'll not even have a basic loose A set yet. That new star thingy - won't be too far behind since it's new, but unless you start running Flowsilver in judgement mode you'll fall behind on that too. Title quests will take a bit too. Nationwar upgraded gear means you'll need to run the NW - since your interest is in PvP that shouldn't be too big a deal.

But yea, expect to be a oneshot for a while. Example: I've been on solid farming for my BM main for the past 1.5 years. I've sunk a -lot- of time in this game and it has paid off, that BM is slowly but surely becoming a strong toon. But that should give you an indication. PWI has made it harder to obtain the rank-9 gear that most people consider needed for PvP, and the gold market is broken right now (on Dawnglory, last time I bothered to check, 2500 gold wanted at max bid, worldchannel calls for buying gold at up to 6mil)
    ... forget your fears. And want no more...

Dawnglory player:
    Ulsyr - Khelvan - Evryn - Gromth
    And StoneSnake - CatSnakeshop for everyone's Common Stones and more!
  • sylenthunder
    spaz95 wrote: »
    So your telling me my Pc that runs witcher 3 on high/ultra in 1080p at 60-70 fps cant handle PWI? Coz I was in a TW where my FPS in the main battle zone was 1-3. Perfect world has a very old and out dated engine that runs poorly.

In the middle of west arch if I turn all graphics down to the lowest my FPS increases by 6 frames... 6 frames being the difference from maxed out settings to the lowest possible... That cant be my pc choking. Thats the game.
    Yeah, because you're comparing a Corvette to a Pinto. (Reference images included.)

Witcher 3 utilises your GPU. You can have a GTX660Ti and Witcher 3 will run great. But if your CPU is a Pentium Q6600, your PWI game is going to lag in TW because the CPU cannot handle the load.
    Witcher runs on the GPU, PWI runs on the CPU.

You could be running an i7 and still have PWI run bad if you have poor CPU optimization or other software using the bandwidth. It's also very common if you failed to exlucde the client from your firewall and antivirus software. (Especially so if you use Norton. Norton 360 will not only kill your FPS, but will also spike your ping to 30k.)
    Also consider, it doesn't matter if your PC has 2 cores or 12. PWI can only use one of them. If that one is busy, it will kill your client.

I've been saying this for 7 years now. Dunno why no one gets it.​​

​​
  • zenmonkeyzzz
    zenmonkeyzzz Posts: 48 Arc User

Upper left row of buttons is a performance button where you can adjust lighting effects and models to further tweak the performance of the client.​​

Thank you. I'll be hoping my new settings help with the advanced mode of FSP later