NEED IMMEDIATE HELP

Options
elblancouno
elblancouno Posts: 11 Arc User
edited July 2015 in General Discussion
Player named Zatarr got keylogged by fake arc site. Hacker is currently logged on account need immediate force log/ban so he can get control of account back. Lost City server.

Comments

• xtoraah
    xtoraah Posts: 77 Arc User
    Options
    Send in a ticket. This doesn't belong on the forums, nor will anyone that can do anything about it see it on the forums.
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    Options
    How do you log on to a fake arc website? *honest question, so i don't repeat the same mistake*​​
  • mosz
    mosz Posts: 247 Arc User
    Options
    jabq wrote: »
    How do you log on to a fake arc website? *honest question, so i don't repeat the same mistake*​​

"hey guys login here for free gold/hacks, its totally legit, i swear!"

• ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How do you log on to a fake arc website? *honest question, so i don't repeat the same mistake*

Someone creates a convincing site with an intentionally misspelled name. People don't always notice that on first glance. Then world chats some promotion is going on like fakeasallmomagnonphishingsite.com/redeeem. It will tell you to login first, but what you are doing is giving your login information to phishers. There has been a lot of that going on lately.

OP:
    Have your friend submit a ticket.
    ​​

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    Options
    How do you log on to a fake arc website? *honest question, so i don't repeat the same mistake*

Someone creates a convincing site with an intentionally misspelled name. People don't always notice that on first glance. Then world chats some promotion is going on like fakeasallmomagnonphishingsite.com/redeeem. It will tell you to login first, but what you are doing is giving your login information to phishers. There has been a lot of that going on lately.

OP:
    ​​

But people should know not to go on a site promote by some random person on WC.
    giphy.gif

• ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Remember that one time mmo bomb gave out free platinum charms, and PWE forgot to promote it. And people were shouting it in world chat, and the moderators got in contact with Hey, You! and confirmed it's validity? By the time it was confirmed by management, they were almost gone. It's **** ups like that cause people to blindly click things that they THINK are fac mates/friends/well-known players linking to them. After all, they trust those people. Sometimes they are just greedy, and going to promo sites they know good and damn well are too good to be a legitimate promotion. But sometimes, it's just a case of someone taking advantage. It's a tale as old time as time, but that doesn't make it all on the victim.​​

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 150 Arc User
    Options
    Admin PSA: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1196440/psa-account-phishing-on-the-rise

Just linking this here again since this is a problem that keeps occurring.

On a site note, what benefit does the person causing the problems get exactly? Virtual items, virtual money, virtual...I think I see a pattern. Maybe I'm missing something, but there's no real monetary gain.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • elblancouno
    elblancouno Posts: 11 Arc User
    Options
    The benefit is people sell ingame coins for real money through paypal and such. If the person amasses for example he claimed to have 46billion in coins that's roughly 16,000 USD.
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I agree with that line of thinking, and had it in my mind before I wrote the above, but that's another thing that confuses me. There's a in-game currency trading system, so why would anyone sell or buy coins outside of that? The whole reason it was done like that was to prevent that and Chinese gold farmers and it worked splendidly for a very long time. I remember when the game started and the gold farmers gave up after a very small amount of time due to the lack of people falling for their _**** and because there were better prices at the auction house.

My general thinking is that the exponentially high prices on gold are helping to drive this if nothing else. Then again, maybe if there wasn't such a large number of people who were so naive, this also wouldn't be a problem. Hmm...Just wishful thinking on my part I suppose.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • jamesburr36
    jamesburr36 Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Zatarr is a really good friend of mine. I was very saddened and disheartened that his account was stolen. I sent a ticket on his behalf.

The criminal who stole his account attempted to steal mine. Not just my PWI account but my email account and my skype account. This hacker is trying to steal email credentials by conning people to go to a chat site and login with email credentials like many legitimate sites do. Once they steal your email account they use it to bypass arc defender and use the recover password function to steal the PWI account.

This is a case when the criminals are not getting PWI credentials from the victim but their email account.

Zatarr if you are reading this your friends are with you and we want to help you get your account and your character back. Looking forward to the next Knights v Shinra TW and we want you there.

* By the way, Google was nice enough to give me the criminal's IP address. LAWL!!!
  • shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    Options
    Not just my PWI account but my email account and my skype account. This hacker is trying to steal email credentials by conning people to go to a chat site and login with email credentials like many legitimate sites do. Once they steal your email account they use it to bypass arc defender and use the recover password function to steal the PWI account.
    Use sms verification for e-mail. It won't trouble you if you use 1-2 devices to log in email, but will request txt code if you try to log from unknown computer. Thus, even if you lose your email password, nothing will happen (unless you use same password for everything, which is ofc strongly not recommended and such) and you will reset it safely.
    ​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • skyurr
    skyurr Posts: 35 Arc User
    Options

OP:

But people should know not to go on a site promote by some random person on WC.

Ahh compassionate as always fox-1.gif

Player named Zatarr got keylogged by fake arc site. Hacker is currently logged on account need immediate force log/ban so he can get control of account back. Lost City server.

Hope it gets sorted soon.

​​
  • xrebelleangelx
    xrebelleangelx Posts: 11 Arc User
    Options
    People still fall for that? wow...
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, thank you venus. Btw mosz, i didn't see you link a site for the free gold/hacks onion-55.gif​​
  • jamesburr36
    jamesburr36 Posts: 150 Arc User
    Options
    This issue has been resolved. Zatarr has his account back. No need to keep this thread going
This discussion has been closed.