[SOLVED] Is PWI playable on a 1.1-3mbps Verizon DSL connection?

mstoxicity
mstoxicity Posts: 30 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
I wasn't able to help my mother in law in time before her bill got so gigantic that it had to get sent to collections... So I'm currently without internet. I'm only able to surf the web with my hotspot (which isn't unlimited).

Anyway, my only other option is going with Verizon. They only have a 1.1-3mbps option. No FiOS out here in Henrico VA.

I'm wondering if that will be enough to play PWI (if of course the equipment and wiring is right)???

I figured I'd ask around here since i'm sure y'all would know. I've googled it quite a bit and get a lot of different answers. Some people say it'll work just fine. Others say they'd "rather die than deal with such a low net speed".

Other than PWI I stream Netflix and Hulu+. I can probably assume I couldn't do BOTH PWI and streaming, but that's okay. I just wanna be sure that if I'm going to throw down the $60 a month for such a low net speed, I'll at least be able to play PWI which would be the main reason for purchasing this in the first place. xD

Thanks in advance!

PS: If this is in the wrong place. I apologize in advance! Hopefully a mod or something will move me!
1. I have a bad habit of using "xD", "xP", "omg", "lol" and "...".
2. I also have a terrible habit of using shorthand (or "text talk") for a lot of other things. (ex. I'll say "idk" instead of "I don't know".)
Post edited by mstoxicity on

Comments

• mosz
    mosz Posts: 247 Arc User
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=average+mmo+bandwidth+usage

patches will suck though

and thers an entire technical support side of the forum for technical questions
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    PWI uses an average of about 200-400kbps bandwidth, so it might be playable, but downloading the client and any halfway large patches are really going to suck. You're talking about a couple of days to download the clients, and a minimum of a few hours for any patches that are more than just localization changes.

Playable, yes. Pleasant, no. You'll also likely have a high ping rate and a considerable amount of latency.
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    PWI uses an average of about 200-400kbps bandwidth, so it might be playable, but downloading the client and any halfway large patches are really going to suck. You're talking about a couple of days to download the clients, and a minimum of a few hours for any patches that are more than just localization changes.

Playable, yes. Pleasant, no. You'll also likely have a high ping rate and a considerable amount of latency.

And heaven forbid you want to actually move in West Arch...
  • breser
    breser Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have had to use my Phones internet at times to play PWI and it plays fine (3G). Now if you need to update it will be a very long download
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    sontzu wrote: »

Huh?

idk what client you are using but mine uses no more than 4-5kbps at most, for playing. Patching will use more, and obviously the faster the better, but even on my mbb dongle running an average of normally just under 1Mbps it takes a couple of hours for an expansion never mind a patch, to re-dl the full client would take me maybe 6 hours
    I used NetLimiter to pull the exact stats of the client a couple of years ago. Those numbers where also verified by staff at the time. It can use less, but it will use more. All depends on your location and client settings.

Your 3G connection with your dongle is capable of about 10x the data rate of the OP's DSL connection. You're likely reading kBps instead of kbps. It's a pretty common mistake.
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jadasia
    jadasia Posts: 520 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I did t with a 4G phone and an illicit wireless tether for 2 years
  • mstoxicity
    mstoxicity Posts: 30 Arc User
    Thanks to everyone that replied. Sorry it took so long to get back...

I'm currently using my 4G t-moble hotspot... It's great and all, but... It's unfortunately not unlimited. I'm paying $30 extra on my phone to have 13 GBS of high speed data. :/

Looks like I'll just have to pay for the 17gbs and pay $40 extra on my cell phone bill... I'd rather not pay Verizon for **** service if my phone is far better.

Thanks again everyone!!!
    1. I have a bad habit of using "xD", "xP", "omg", "lol" and "...".
    2. I also have a terrible habit of using shorthand (or "text talk") for a lot of other things. (ex. I'll say "idk" instead of "I don't know".)
  • aeternusdoleo
    aeternusdoleo Posts: 180 Arc User
    Bandwith usage varies heavily. If you're in a populated area with lots of players, or if there's a lot going on, bandwith usage goes up and it can induce lag. But if you're just out and about running an instance, expect no more then a few KB/s used. However, with a smaller internet pipe, multiclienting isn't recommended.
    ... forget your fears. And want no more...

Dawnglory player:
    Ulsyr - Khelvan - Evryn - Gromth
    And StoneSnake - CatSnakeshop for everyone's Common Stones and more!