Can PWI be run on a tablet (Windows 8)

RamJoT - Dreamweaver
RamJoT - Dreamweaver Posts: 74 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Off-Topic Discussion
Anyone know if PWI can run on a tablet running Windows 8?

Is there a 'best tablet' you would choose?
Post edited by RamJoT - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ok this will be a little long winded and is mostly my own opinion.

First I am guessing you may be able to run this game on a tablet as long as the hardware is capable this would mean the cpu would have to support MMX and SSE2 extensions for graphics as this game engine was designed to mostly use the cpu rather than graphics card. I would suggest a min of 2gig ram for win 8-8.1 plus I would suggest 1-2 gig DX9 or higher capable video card.

Beyond this you may be able to run a virtual onscreen keyboard in win 8+ like my friends (Personally have not tested) have done in win 7 while waiting for a replacement keyboards, but from what they tell me this can be very awkward in game even when the mouse still works fine.

Another thing, I repair laptops and one of the most common problems I find is overheating due to fluff buildup in the vents especially in gaming laptops this led me to want to know if I would be seeing this problem in the future with Tablets so I did a bit of online research to find out the current state of affairs and was surprised at what i found.

First a large number of Tablets do not have a fan instead use ARM processors as these do not generate as much heat and at idle to medium work fine but when pushed to near processor limits using modern gaming engines tend to overheat and freeze this has been such a problem that Microsoft and other manufactures even had to send an advisory for some of their models that says, when this happens the user has to wait 5 minutes before restarting the tablet to prevent further damage. (Great for Productivity Not LOL)

With that said I personally would not suggest using a Tablet at this time unless it includes a fan to handle the higher temps that games tend to generate but there are some models with fans around now you could try if you wish.
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Sevchenko - Dreamweaver
    Sevchenko - Dreamweaver Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    With a 1,6ghz single-core CPU (with those required features), 2gb Ram and a lame *** gfx card (T&L support recommended) (or even integrated lol) with some 64~128MB will do.

Will run.

Now if you want something really good to run like the guy above said, but really, PWI barely uses on gfx card, only features that use on GFX are: Fashion coloring, Soften, Sharpen, Warp, Sun&Moon, Shadows, and only because they're by-pixel operations (which can also be done by CPU if the game runs in Software mode (Full CPU-only processing)

A something Interesting to add: If your device does NOT support T&L you'll notice fashion coloring is way more "weird" as the game applies full vertex paint technique on them. I still couldn't find a single piece of Cra-Pee-Cee that wasn't able to run PWI (Could even run with 256 MB ram and Windows XP. Hilariously laggy, but still).

Now, using a tablet you'll probably want to run in windowed mode, seriously I cannot imagine this experience different than "uncomfortable".

2 things I imagine to happen when running PWI on a tablet:
    - Battery drain-out
    - Overheat leading to system freeze.
    [S.E.V.C.H.E.N.K.O]
    Synthetic Electronic Variant Calibrated for Hazardous Exploration, Nullification and Kamikaze Observation[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]