Operating Systems

SailorRocket - Heavens Tear
SailorRocket - Heavens Tear Posts: 46 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Off-Topic Discussion
I wasn't sure which category this thread should go in, so I just put it in the off-topic category. ^^;

Anyway, does anyone know of any good open-source operating systems out there that can run Perfect World (or that's at least built mainly for gaming) without having to use programs like Wine? Does PWI even work in Wine? I've looked at OS's like Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Haiku, antiX, and Linux Mint, but I'm not sure which ones to go with...Or if there are others out there that are better. I'm mainly wanting a different OS that uses much less RAM and is just better for gaming. I'm planning on partitioning my computer, so that I can still have Windows 7 for everything else. :/ And I've tried Ubuntu in the past, and it seems like it uses a lot of resources and I don't completely understand it yet. I'm looking for an OS that's also bit easier to use and understand...

With Windows 7, I'd like to just use it for doing work-related stuff and browsing the internet and such.

(I have a 1.6Ghz dual-core processor and 3 gb of ram. It's always the processor that hurts me when it comes to games...I just figured if I use an OS that requires less ram, and is more built for speed and gaming, then it'll be easier on my computer when I play games...please correct me if I'm wrong or if I'm not understanding things right. I'm still trying to learn the advanced computer stuff. Like I'm still trying to understand what some things are like C, C++, Kernals, and a lot of other stuff. ^^;; )
My characters:
SailorRocket - Venomancer - Lv84
TPKisaki - Archer - Lv72
DrPepper_I - Cleric - Lv70
QuietWarrior - Barbarian - Lv42
Server: Heaven's Tear
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by SailorRocket - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    PW was programmed to use the win32 platform with directx (designed for win32 platform as well). The only way to run it on a different platform is through a emulator like wine and the like or windowsxp+ on a virtual machine. PCLinuxOS is probably the easiest of the nix flavors to use for the beginner.

There maybe some linux flavors that have built just for gaming but I don't remember any off hand. Most game specific os's are ran on consol's (xbox ps2 ect ect). Any pc related gaming os is usually just a stripped down version of windows or linux. With the machine you have just xp would be fine windows wise.
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • SailorRocket - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2013
    PW was programmed to use the win32 platform with directx (designed for win32 platform as well). The only way to run it on a different platform is through a emulator like wine and the like or windowsxp+ on a virtual machine. PCLinuxOS is probably the easiest of the nix flavors to use for the beginner.

Ok, thanks! :) I read something on eHow and I realized that I can search "Perfect World International" in their search box and it shows how well PWI works in Wine on different operating systems. It says the best one for PWI is "Debian GNU/kFreeBSD 7.0 "Wheezy", but there's some problems installing, but it says there's workaround. I didn't know you could work around that....

Another one that says it works on is "Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" x86_64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)". But under the "installs?" column, it says N/A, but under the "runs?" column, it says "yes". Did someone just move PWI to Ubuntu without installing it or something? I didn't think that was even possible, considering that it's a different OS than Windows...And you can't download Ubuntu 13.04 anymore. :/ The only options are 12.04 LTS and 13.10 now. So maybe it works better in 13.10 than it did in 13.04? I didn't see any tests on 13.10. Guess I'll just have to try it myself. ^^; (The last time I used Ubuntu, I think it was version 10.)

I guess I have no choice but to go with Wine, and I'll give Ubuntu a go again. ;) Thanks for the info! ^^

EDIT: I'll try that PCLinuxOS, too. :) My hubby's laptop can barely run Windows 7, Vista, or even XP. (Even though it was designed for Vista...) So PCLinuxOS will probably work MUCH better on his laptop than XP, Vista, or 7. ^^; Which will give me a chance to try out PWI on it too. (He has a 1.6GHz dual-core processor and 1 GB of ram. He might have more RAM somewhere for PWI, but we'll have to look. I think his computer is from 2008, so it's pretty old, really slow, and always has a lot of bugs, even when doing a clean install of a Windows operating system...hopefully, PCLinuxOS will work a LOT better...)

Sorry for rambling. @_@
    My characters:
    TPKisaki - Archer - Lv72
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    edited November 2013
    Yeah even with laptops, the combination of certain hardware can slow down a computer more than help it. That is a hole different can of worms in it self. It has been a while since I tried out PCLinuxOS, so I am sure a lot has changed, but still keeping its original design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jarkhen - Archosaur
    Jarkhen - Archosaur Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Outside of running straight from Windows, yes, running with WINE (which is not, actually, an emulator) or an emulator is your only option. That said, if your computer is too slow to handle XP, it probably can't handle PWI regardless (honestly though, if your computer is from the Vista era, I can't imagine how it has trouble with XP).

WINE tends to be rather finicky with games. Some versions will work flawlessly, and then an update might come out that causes issues or even renders the game completely useless. By all means try it, but be prepared to spend a very large amount of time trying to find a version and setup that lets you run PWI without issues.
    Current: http://mypers.pw/1.8/#133167
    105-103-102

TW/NW Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Axel3200

Some people get R93 and become another cookiecutter DD, other people get R93 and get called out as serious threats. At some point, it's just not about gear anymore. - Qui
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    edited November 2013
    I said wine was an emulator, as most people would see it as such b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SailorRocket - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2013
    Outside of running straight from Windows, yes, running with WINE (which is not, actually, an emulator) or an emulator is your only option. That said, if your computer is too slow to handle XP, it probably can't handle PWI regardless (honestly though, if your computer is from the Vista era, I can't imagine how it has trouble with XP).

WINE tends to be rather finicky with games. Some versions will work flawlessly, and then an update might come out that causes issues or even renders the game completely useless. By all means try it, but be prepared to spend a very large amount of time trying to find a version and setup that lets you run PWI without issues.

Well, my computer is an all-in-one, my hubby's computer is a laptop, and it definitely needs an OS that takes up less ram. He can barely watch youtube videos on it. :/ I think his hard-drive might be going out, which might be why it keeps messing up on a lot of things and why it's being so slow. We have KillDisk, so I'll use that on it before installing another OS on it. My computer (the all-in-one) *can* run PWI. I just wanted to use an OS that takes less ram. ^^; My hubby has a lot of old computer parts, so there's a good chance he has some ram to put in his laptop to help.
    My characters:
    TPKisaki - Archer - Lv72
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]