A story for you all.

Options
Zanryu - Dreamweaver
Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
Here I sit with fully recasted Rank 9, sitting against a hut in Dreaming Cloud. I'm Zanryu, I'm a Blademaster of Morai server, and I find myself extremely bored. Once I was deeply involved with the world around me, helping defeat evil wraiths and restoring order to the Perfect World. Now, I'm just a person playing around in a virtual world with many things I need to get done, yet nothing to do all at the same time.

As I sit around wondering what I would like to do I notice the unmistakable circle of light indicating a player has logged in. Judging from his daggers and armor it's a level 60ish Assassin, and *** soon as he's on he's off to go do quests or hang out with friends or just explore the world around him. As I watch him run off I experience an unfamiliar feeling. Not anger, not sadness, but jealousy.

Here I am, in full third cast with decent refines bored to tears while this little level 60 Assassin runs around and genuinely enjoys the game he's playing. He doesn't have amazing gear, he's not well known, he's just some guy running around doing what he likes and it reminds me that for the longest time I haven't gotten to do that. For so long this game has been nothing but a grind for the best gear, an endless treadmill that I have to run to compete with cash shoppers and merchants in a race that I'll never win through farming alone.

This Assassin drives that home for me, his innocence regarding the game and how it truly his, his ability to truly enjoy himself which is something that has been lost on myself and many other players that have been around for a while, makes me realize that this game which used to be so glorious and magnificent, filled with wonder and excitement, is now nothing more than a mere shell of its former self through a combination of greed and selfishness from both the playerbase and the company that runs the game.

I long for those innocent days where even though I didn't have the best gear or the most money I could truly enjoy the in game content. I long for the days where I could do some random thing and come out of it a little happier and with my friends list a little fuller. But those days are gone, and I don't think they'll ever return. A sense of loss now replaces the jealousy I felt as I sit here by this little hut, wondering what I should do today.

So! Let us see what becomes of my little story thread. Shall it be locked? Depth'd? Will people reply? Will I be trolled. Whatever the reaction, I'm curious. Has anyone else been in this situation?
Post edited by Zanryu - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Just make an alt.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Just make an alt.

Just make me.
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I've experienced similar feelings,
    6x questing is even less frequent on PvP servers.

I experience loathing as well toward those who never had that fun and complain after doing in 1 week things that took me over a year.

When there were tons of 6x, being 6x was fun.
    The game promotes getting to end game asap and skipping it's content
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I guess everyone but me has fun then b:sad
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I guess everyone but me has fun then b:sad

You know, I do admire you for sticking in the game aslong as me and a few others. I'm having a ball here and im level 100.
    I'm still working on that ridiculous lunar hipster build, exploring the world of Morai and chilling herethereandeverywhere.
    My guild Vex does events after TW, such as Hunt The Barb, races across the map, karaoke evenings, and general lols when doing farming runs.

I think the thing with you is that you're a lone trooper on a different server, and you think you are basically done on your class.
    But how many classes have you played?
    How many different builds have you tried to do?
    Would you ever want to join a community faction like mine who actively TW?
    Would you restart again on a new server and quest your way up?
    Would you try experimenting with screenshots in the the map?
    Would you PK when you could to test your skills instead of relying on your gear?

You need to ask yourselves these. But dreamweaver is still very much thriving here, and in all honesty, I think you need a community around you.
    If you want to join where I am, give me a poke, ya nab :p Because we do do panty raids
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Templar - Sanctuary
    Templar - Sanctuary Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Maybe he was looking at you and dreaming about r999 gears
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2013
    Options
    You know, I do admire you for sticking in the game aslong as me and a few others. I'm having a ball here and im level 100.
    I'm still working on that ridiculous lunar hipster build, exploring the world of Morai and chilling herethereandeverywhere.
    My guild Vex does events after TW, such as Hunt The Barb, races across the map, karaoke evenings, and general lols when doing farming runs.

I think the thing with you is that you're a lone trooper on a different server, and you think you are basically done on your class. You can only play so much of the same game before you realize it's all pretty much the exact same game.
    But how many classes have you played? All of them to a degree.
    How many different builds have you tried to do? I go with what's most efficient for the class.
    Would you ever want to join a community faction like mine who actively TW? I'm in one.
    Would you restart again on a new server and quest your way up? I did that.
    Would you try experimenting with screenshots in the the map? Got plenty of screenshots
    Would you PK when you could to test your skills instead of relying on your gear? That's the only type of PvP I've ever gotten to take part in. Comes with the territory when you're undergeared.

You need to ask yourselves these. But dreamweaver is still very much thriving here, and in all honesty, I think you need a community around you.
    If you want to join where I am, give me a poke, ya nab :p Because we do do panty raids

Dem red
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Dem red

-.- then I honestly cant help you. Only thing i can ask you to ask yourself is if you're truly happy in this game anymore. Have a long good think about it. Because if you're not, well, that's your decision weather to find somewhere else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2013
    Options
    -.- then I honestly cant help you. Only thing i can ask you to ask yourself is if you're truly happy in this game anymore. Have a long good think about it. Because if you're not, well, that's your decision weather to find somewhere else.

I haven't actually played in over a month. I've logged in once or twice to chat, but I haven't played. I can think of maybe 4 intervals that I've signed on, 3 of which were under 30 minutes, the 4th was about 5 hours of talking to someone I met who I found quite interesting. Of course, now that I've added them on skype I don't need to use PWI to communicate.

I'm growing up and becoming an adult. Online games just don't cut it anymore. I feel so mature.

Well not really.

Oh well.

I'm gonna make pizza rolls.
  • _Mictian_ - Archosaur
    _Mictian_ - Archosaur Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    zan b:dirty just put yourself a new goal like making some relevant piece of gear or achieve lvl 105 or just roll a toon for the lulz like a 100% channelling wizzie :p
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    It's an MMO. What did you expect?
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Wickedbrew - Raging Tide
    Wickedbrew - Raging Tide Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I think I'm in the minority here, but endgame doesnt interest me at all. i dont care about r9, r9rr, +12, etc. I get bored after level 100, and personally I hate farming. I deplore PvP mainly blaming it on the prepubescent attitudes I see in WC, but its common mental ineptitude across most MMOs where PvP is concerned.

I have to be extremely competitive, focused, driven, aggressive, etc in my job, I don't want to be that in a game. I prefer PvE. Once I have a character around 100, the boredom creeps in, and when it does, I create another alt. I enjoy the quests even though I have done them many times on various characters, though i have found I don't want to FC. I don't want to run FC for lower levels. I don't want to run BH19, 29, 39, 51, 59, 69, or 79 with my 102 BM. I have had a blast running those instances with toons in the proper level, though squads can be hard to come by because everyone seems hellbent on reaching endgame. The most fun I have had lately is running a squad of 40s to low 50s in 39, 50s to 60s in 51, 60s to 70s for 59...you get the point. It was fantastic not having a high level run us through.

The best time I've had in a while was a 59 run on my archer, with a cleric, a barb, a BM, a seeker, and a wizard. It took us a while, but we did it. We were all in the low to upper 60s.

High levels its all about doing things as fast as you can. That's not my play style. I want to enjoy the ride, not think, "that's it?"

Keep your r9rr +12. Keep your endless FC runs. I for one am not impressed by it. Never have been. Especially the OP geared folks, most have a crappy attitude anyway. WC proves it.

I will just sit back, find like minded players, and meander down the slow path.
    WeBeKinky Leader - lvl 10x psychic

If you don't like my attitude, you should realize I don't care.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
  • Jacerai - Dreamweaver
    Jacerai - Dreamweaver Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    So this is why I no longer see you on Morai as often. b:chuckle

You hit all your goals and are finished, so far. Or any goals ahead are too much effort for such a little change?

It sounds like, to me, that you are jaded with the game currently. To hold some truth, take a break from the game, for a time or permanently. Since you are posting on the forums, we may see you back here or on Morai. Who knows? Maybe going to play something else or working on something hard in life is what you need?

Maturity has nothing to do with it. It's entertainment value you need. b:surrender Find something that will entertain you for a while, a small bit, or for a long while. Have fun with it and just enjoy the entertainment aspects of other games, books, movies, activities.

No need to stick around somewhere you are bored and/or feeling jaded towards.

*puts away soapbox?*
    b:cute The world may be small, but it is far from known.

Why the rage? It's a draining emotion.

Me: DaValentine (veno), Jaceraie (mystic), etc etc etc b:chuckle
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Consider this: that sin is probably there to do his 69 culti and then going back to fc to be pleveled to 101 so that he could CS r9rr b:laugh
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Zan, the feeling will pass. Don't listen to those that tell you stop logging in. They are half of the equation that makes this game less fun.

I miss the PW game of a couple years or so ago. Lots of new players like me, we were all having fun. They were smarter than me though, and every single one of them quit at least by a year ago.

You are not the only one I know of that felt that 'empty' feeling once they had their dream gears in grasp.

As for me saying the feeling will pass, it will. You have stuck it out THIS long afterall. b:chuckle

It's really a great game - not the best mechanics and the lag totally suzeth, but you cant find better char creation anywhere. Fashion is awesome.

On the other hand, they seem to be doing everything they can to foul the game up with each update. Perhaps they realize their mistakes, and want everyone to quit?

Like using a culti boss to update stuff for end-game players - wtf with that??!!

Its not like they couldn't put something new in Morai, or some other desolate underutilized area. Tusk Town comes to mind, its now a Ghost Town and has been for quite a while now, yet I remember a Boomtown of new players that doesnt seem to be so long ago.

You have reached the Pinnacle - the summit, my friend. You climbed what's unclimbable for many.

I feel just like you. I still log in, but its purely for business now. Ima gonna see if grinding herbs and mats will get me where you are. People say it will all the time. Im testing the theory. I will probably bore of it before I accomplish anything, lol - but Ima giving it a try. xD

Look to your friends ingame for fun. Even if you lose at PK, you can still have fun doing it - or TW & NW, or whatever it is you had on your mind when you made the choice to grind those gears in the first place.

Keep the faith man - the feeling will pass. b:victory

Its a real shame I didnt find this game earlier.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I don't see how anyone would think that that sin was having fun. Any sins that played those levels want to chime in?
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I have a level 47 sin. Its fun to play, but it has played alone since its inception. Starter cities empty too usually, or with a random alt that isnt looking for friends, and already has plenty of high-level help - it is what it is.

Nothing but alts on my server for at least a year and half now...b:shutup

Maybe there are servers that still get new peeps? Maybe there is at least 1 server where Tusk Town is still a Boom Town? *shrugs*b:surrender

Then again, perhaps the level 6x sin in Zan's story would rather be alone.

I dont understand the point of MMOs where everyone is in closed groups or playing alone - but I guess when it somes to PW, that is what it is too. xD
  • Jacerai - Dreamweaver
    Jacerai - Dreamweaver Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I have a level 47 sin. Its fun to play, but it has played alone since its inception. Starter cities empty too usually, of with a random alt that isnt looking for friends, and already has plenty of high-level help - it is what it is.

Nothing but alts on my server for at least a year and half now...b:shutup

Maybe there are servers that still get new peeps? Maybe there is at least 1 server where Tusk Town is still a Boom Town? *shrugs*b:surrender

In-faction, we have people coming back to the game and restarting, we have new people who were recommended by folks in-faction and are really enjoying the game, and we have people making alts to play with these people.

No, it really does not fill the starter towns or the quest areas, but there are people out there in Dreamweaver. Just not like it used to be.
    b:cute The world may be small, but it is far from known.

Why the rage? It's a draining emotion.

Me: DaValentine (veno), Jaceraie (mystic), etc etc etc b:chuckle
    edited July 2013
    Options
    In-faction, we have people coming back to the game and restarting, we have new people who were recommended by folks in-faction and are really enjoying the game, and we have people making alts to play with these people.

No, it really does not fill the starter towns or the quest areas, but there are people out there in Dreamweaver. Just not like it used to be.

Thanks. Its nice to think their is still genuine player ACTIVITY somewhere out there. b:thanks
  • RankNine - Momaganon
    RankNine - Momaganon Posts: 1,241 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Zan, you have a very attracting personality.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    noob, can only run, spawnkiller, only white vodoo, only plays for kd,
    never kills anyone, only gear, no skill, no life, cash only, eats dogfood to cash more, lives at moms,
    only survives cause of cleric heals, if we had your gear you would lose. b:cryb:cryb:cry
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Ah, it's s shame uch innocence is never truly re-capturedwhen re-rolling because we already saw what "the end of the road" looks like - one only gains a (slightly) different perspective of it each time another character they raise makes it to 100 and gears up again.

I don't envy them though, as my own adventure and goals are still far from over and reached.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2013
    Options

Whachoo talkin' 'bout?

And, my goals are far from reached, but seeing how the community is for the most part and how PvP is this massive epeen stroking contest I can't be bothered with it. PvP used to be about sport, now it's about who can one shot who or who can muster the larger offensive forced. Not the most skilled one, but the larger one. It's pretty much a numbers game. Not my idea of fun.

*whistles*

Pizza rolls done

I didn't make this as some kind of "I'm quitting, please bring me back thread", I've been bored with the game for well over a year, came back for a while to check out NW and play with a friend who never started up again, but they never ended up playing. I stuck around because of the people I met and old friends who came back for a while.

All dis boredom yo.
    edited July 2013
    Options

Speaking of...have you tried married-life yet? f:flower
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone would think that that sin was having fun. Any sins that played those levels want to chime in?

I have a 6x sin, I don't know if you can call it fun, but sins are incredibly easy to play at those levels. All sorts of mobs are OK to fight, unlike when I played BM/barb against kiting magic mobs.

You can never feel too miserable doing a quest with a sin, pretty much like when I played veno or mystic.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I almost gave up leveling my sin because it was so freakin' boring early on. Like all classes; they really come to life near end game with L11 skills, decent equips, and when I stop playing like how you see others play (derp derp).

I'm not really sure what others find fun about the game. What keeps me here is the desire to attain more skills/ equips/ abilities (goals). I don't find it so much fun as addicting (like tetris was for a single night for me), or time killing. I do like figuring out more efficient ways to do things, but there's only so much of that. PvP in this game is boring to me, and I know and understand that it's weird despite loving online arena fps's.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options

You are the best.

@OP: Make anonymous alt on a different server. Do it on all servers, than compare all servers. =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Castgurl - Raging Tide
    Castgurl - Raging Tide Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Here I sit with fully recasted Rank 9, sitting against a hut in Dreaming Cloud. I'm Zanryu, I'm a Blademaster of Morai server, and I find myself extremely bored. Once I was deeply involved with the world around me, helping defeat evil wraiths and restoring order to the Perfect World. Now, I'm just a person playing around in a virtual world with many things I need to get done, yet nothing to do all at the same time.

As I sit around wondering what I would like to do I notice the unmistakable circle of light indicating a player has logged in. Judging from his daggers and armor it's a level 60ish Assassin, and *** soon as he's on he's off to go do quests or hang out with friends or just explore the world around him. As I watch him run off I experience an unfamiliar feeling. Not anger, not sadness, but jealousy.

Here I am, in full third cast with decent refines bored to tears while this little level 60 Assassin runs around and genuinely enjoys the game he's playing. He doesn't have amazing gear, he's not well known, he's just some guy running around doing what he likes and it reminds me that for the longest time I haven't gotten to do that. For so long this game has been nothing but a grind for the best gear, an endless treadmill that I have to run to compete with cash shoppers and merchants in a race that I'll never win through farming alone.

This Assassin drives that home for me, his innocence regarding the game and how it truly his, his ability to truly enjoy himself which is something that has been lost on myself and many other players that have been around for a while, makes me realize that this game which used to be so glorious and magnificent, filled with wonder and excitement, is now nothing more than a mere shell of its former self through a combination of greed and selfishness from both the playerbase and the company that runs the game.

I long for those innocent days where even though I didn't have the best gear or the most money I could truly enjoy the in game content. I long for the days where I could do some random thing and come out of it a little happier and with my friends list a little fuller. But those days are gone, and I don't think they'll ever return. A sense of loss now replaces the jealousy I felt as I sit here by this little hut, wondering what I should do today.

So! Let us see what becomes of my little story thread. Shall it be locked? Depth'd? Will people reply? Will I be trolled. Whatever the reaction, I'm curious. Has anyone else been in this situation?

Make an alt or quit. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Castgurl.com - Beast Domes comic soon to be under contract.
    People that act tough in this game are the lowest people irl...
    2nd RB Veno 103/TooLazy/TooLazy (I will update.)
    2nd RB Sage Barb - Lrugtasc (Active)
    Youtube/Castgurl - PWI
    Facebook/BeastDomes and you can find it on Google+
    If you flame me or disrespect me I will BL you. No questions asked. b:kiss
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Make an alt or quit. b:bye

How do you get enjoyment from an alt knowing it's not really that different? Once you pick up the different tricks it becomes the same story, grinding whatever you grind to get gear for whatever you want to grind after until you get to a point where you want to PvP which is even more of one. Alts are a waste of time once you get to a point where PvE content is the same to you no matter what class you're on.

Hi.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    How do you get enjoyment from an alt knowing it's not really that different? Once you pick up the different tricks it becomes the same story, grinding whatever you grind to get gear for whatever you want to grind after until you get to a point where you want to PvP which is even more of one. Alts are a waste of time once you get to a point where PvE content is the same to you no matter what class you're on.

Again, as I said before:
    It's an MMO. What did you expect?

Really, I guess it's more accurate to just say all games get stale after a while. It's just in our nature to eventually get tired of things after you do them so many times. Maybe you just need a change of pace?
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • gouraudpalm2
    gouraudpalm2 Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Consequences of using credit card instead of skill