Item Tooltip - Inconsistent Stat Name - Endurance vs. Durability

Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Quality Corner
In an item tooltip, the property that describes how much the item is in need of repair is called "Durability".

When the Maximum Durability is modified by an item add-on it is referred to instead as "Endurance"

vc3ZhEe.png

This can cause confusion as they are different names for the same property.
Here is an example of that confusion:
http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1590721

The add-on and stat should be called the same thing whether it's Durability or Endurance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
Post edited by Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 on

Comments

• _dblazen_ - Dreamweaver
    _dblazen_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    To be honest, I don't see any confusion in the thread you linked, it's just someone asking what the stat actually does.

Endurable = durability. No matter how you put it, I don't see this as any text issue at all.

Heck, the durability is even shown in purple on items that have these adds where others don't.

This is more of an issue to understanding English than anything else f:scared
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Back in my day we knew how to put two and two together and recognize two words that are essentially the same thing.

Kids these days.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is more of an issue to understanding English than anything else f:scared

Not everyone has the same english skill as everyone else. I'm a native speaker and can remember trying to find an "endurance" stat on my character sheet before noticing the durability was modified.

Endurance and durability actually have somewhat different meanings; endurance is the ability to continue despite hardship, durability is the ability of something to resist damage.
    To be honest, I don't see any confusion in the thread you linked, it's just someone asking what the stat actually does.

You are claiming that someone couldn't figure out the meaning of stat while simultaneously not being confused by it? That makes no sense.

From a design standpoint consistent terminology is important. If you were to have a stat named "Agility" on an item and "Dexterity" in your character sheet it looks really sloppy. Those are actually much closer in meaning than "Endurance" and "Durability".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • _dblazen_ - Dreamweaver
    _dblazen_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not everyone has the same english skill as everyone else. I'm a native speaker and can remember trying to find an "endurance" stat on my character sheet before noticing the durability was modified.

Endurance and durability actually have somewhat different meanings; endurance is the ability to continue despite hardship, durability is the ability of something to resist damage.

Doesn't matter, in the end endurance is a synonym of durability thus similair meaning, just like agility and dexterity.

Let's not make this some English class lol.

What I meant with the confusion thing, asking what a stat does doesn't always mean someone is confused by it.

I don't really care if the text is to be changed, I just don't see it as something that's... important since the words mean the same thing in the end.
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    Zsw - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe this section is to report any bugs, regardless of how small/large. The rating system can be used if you feel a bug is not important by giving it a rating of 1.
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin
    TehZsw - 100 Demon Archer

All Luck No Skillz PvPer: youtube.com/user/zsw007