They changed Absorb Soul

ChevaIier - Harshlands
ChevaIier - Harshlands Posts: 300 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Mystic
So I know it's not a new thing, and I can't find a thread about it, but I recently found out they changed absorb soul that Level 11 now CANNOT bypass Def levels; but level 10 and below CAN bypass Def lvl.

My question is Level 11 absorb soul even worth it anymore? At the moment i'm considering switching from demon path to sage path only to reset my level 11 to level 10 again -_-. I played mystic for this skill to compete with OP players with decked out JOSD and now they literally ruined that for me.

Any enlightenments, ideas or advice to what I should do will be appreciated. :)
Post edited by ChevaIier - Harshlands on

Comments

• Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    v4liance wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Klys passed this issue on to me, and I let our testing team know about this.

Hopefully we'll get this all sorted!

- Hey, You!

You can find the thread here:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1572421

The thread wasn't original about AS, but people bring it as good skill against psy.

And yes it's really frustrating cause if I knew that before I would have let my AS lvl10 for sure.

I have all my sage skills except 2 so for me I don't plan to switch culti for that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't see it as being a big issue. While they get their defense levels, you also get your attack levels (which old AS didn't use). Attack levels are still easier to get than defense levels, so you still come out ahead. And you're still bypassing Plume Shell, Invoke, and all those other damage-reducing skills of theirs.
  • ChevaIier - Harshlands
    edited April 2013
    I don't see it as being a big issue. While they get their defense levels, you also get your attack levels (which old AS didn't use). Attack levels are still easier to get than defense levels, so you still come out ahead. And you're still bypassing Plume Shell, Invoke, and all those other damage-reducing skills of theirs.

I damage tested on a full r9 psy on white and black voodoo it does make a difference.
  • ChevaIier - Harshlands
    edited April 2013
    You can find the thread here:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1572421

The thread wasn't original about AS, but people bring it as good skill against psy.

And yes it's really frustrating cause if I knew that before I would have let my AS lvl10 for sure.

I have all my sage skills except 2 so for me I don't plan to switch culti for that.

Hope they fix it...
  • Erryne - Sanctuary
    Erryne - Sanctuary Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They're never going to fix it, since it got updated as intended. To quote the relevant part of the previous thread:
    I remember that when the NW expansion came out last year, the psy forum was busy with the change to sage/demon torrent and sand trap (psy's 2 pure dot skills) dealing much more damage now in black voodoo and being nerfed in white voodoo. And that lv1-10 was same as before, being unaffected by atk/def lv.

That change was pretty much applicated to all lv11 DoT skills with the expansion.

Why is that important? Because I remember reading a theory on the mystic forum a while ago that suggested that absoul soul was a ultra weak wood spell with a huge single tick of bleed.
    Indeed that's the accepted theory that explains the weirdness of it. Ofc there's no way to actually test it, but it's assumed that AS is a wood magic skill that does 0 damage and applies a physical DoT that does its damage in 1 tick, which pretty much explains everything about it. And if you're saying all DoT skills were affected by the atk'def lvls change, you may be right...and it would be a conformation of the theory. :o

And now said psychic's DoTs thread

Short version, as long as your atk lv is higher than your target def lv, you deal more damage than before the NW expansion. And since a standard G16 set(weapon + armors) give 60atk lv and 15def lv, the only arcanes/LA you cannot kill are the trully endgame one.
  • huhuhas
    huhuhas Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So happy I havent lved it to lv11b:pleased
  • soundslegit
    soundslegit Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Doesn't sound fair for a skill to be better at lvl 10 then 11.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChevaIier - Harshlands
    edited April 2013
    They're never going to fix it, since it got updated as intended. To quote the relevant part of the previous thread:

And now said psychic's DoTs thread

Short version, as long as your atk lv is higher than your target def lv, you deal more damage than before the NW expansion. And since a standard G16 set(weapon + armors) give 60atk lv and 15def lv, the only arcanes/LA you cannot kill are the trully endgame one.

Well, if you read the other thread, they are "looking into it"....so yah, nothing is certain :)
  • ChevaIier - Harshlands
    edited April 2013
    And I still don't understand that concept...I still do less damage when a psy goes into white voodoo even though my attack levels are higher (I have 87 attack levels VS his 3x or so).
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    Alexis - Lothranis Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And I still don't understand that concept...I still do less damage when a psy goes into white voodoo even though my attack levels are higher (I have 87 attack levels VS his 3x or so).

A psy with 3x def lvls in White Voodoo? I don't think so.

Look let's say you hit a psy wih no voodoo on for x damage. If they have white Voodoo on that lowers their atk lvls and in return raises their def lvls by 66 (at lvl 10). So with lvl 11 AS you will deal less than x damage to them, because the difference between your atk lvls and their def lvls lowers. If they have Black Voodoo on, their atk lvls are raised and their def lvls are lowered by 11 (at lvl 10) (and it can go below 0 if their initial def lvls are lower than 11). That means that with lvl 11 AS you will hit them for more than x damage.

With lvl 1-10 AS currently you would hit them for the same damage no matter what voodoo their in or if they are in any voodoo at all.

Now I have a question. If you do have 87 atk lvls why on earth would you not want lvl 11 AS so they take effect? You won't meet many arcanes that have that high def lvls.
    Youtube channel: youtube.com/user/FDB19
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited April 2013
    The change only makes things worse against one class when they have one specific buff on. And when psys have White Voodoo on they can't do any damage back to you. In all other situations you'll be doing more damage than before. Enjoy the change.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The change only makes things worse against one class when they have one specific buff on. And when psys have White Voodoo on they can't do any damage back to you. In all other situations you'll be doing more damage than before. Enjoy the change.

Erm, how many classes have a defense level buff or JosD again..?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    edited April 2013
    Someone with JoSD sharded has enough base pdef that absorb soul is a waste of channeling time anyway. Ditto Seekers, they're a HA class. Absorb Soul is for 1-hitting noobs and this doesn't change that.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Erm, how many classes have a defense level buff or JosD again..?

Still in this game the average attack level is higher than the average defense level.
    For example I have 134 attack levels but only like 82 defense levels.
    In general you should be doing more damage on average and you should pretty much always do more damage than before if you're R9.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
    edited April 2013
    Now I have a question. If you do have 87 atk lvls why on earth would you not want lvl 11 AS so they take effect? You won't meet many arcanes that have that high def lvls.

Not every Mystic have 87 attack levels.

In general AS is use against Venomancers, Clerics, Wizards and Psychics. (and on other Mystics)

I'm not good in math and all that stuff, but do attack levels higher then def levels of the target make hit harder then ignore defense levels?

If I have 80 attack levels and the target 30 defense levels, how much you bet that if I one shot the person with lvl11 I would have one shot with lvl10 as well?

A arcane with low defense level usually don't have great p.def. and are easy to kill with level 10 or 11 AS.

The problem is when we meet someone with higher defense levels then our attack levels.

A AA with more defense level than our attack levels make AS level 11 is **** compare to level 10.

Our concern is not when we fight someone with lower gears then us, we will beat them anyway, it's about end game people that have more defense levels then our attack levels.

It's about that a skill should be better at level 11 then 10 in ALL situations, not just in situation where we fight people with **** gears, I don't want my AS to be OP against people with 20 defense levels, but suck against someone with 90 defense levels +. I want my AS to be OP to fight people with better gears then me, for people with lowest gears I'll just throw Thicket and let them die one shot from it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Alexis - Lothranis
    edited April 2013
    Not every Mystic have 87 attack levels.

Yes I asked that question to him because he said he had those lvls but seemed pretty anxious to get back to lvl 10 AS which would really nerf him.
    In general AS is use against Venomancers, Clerics, Wizards and Psychics. (and on other Mystics)

I'm not good in math and all that stuff, but do attack levels higher then def levels of the target make hit harder then ignore defense levels?

If I have 80 attack levels and the target 30 defense levels, how much you bet that if I one shot the person with lvl11 I would have one shot with lvl10 as well?

Yes it makes you hit harder. In the example you gave if you have 80 atk lvls and the opponent has 30 def lvls you'd hit with 50%(roughly) more damage. So if, let's say your target has 10k hp and your lvl 10 AS hits him for 9k (not OSing him) with lvl 11 you'd hit for 13.5k and thus oneshot.
    A arcane with low defense level usually don't have great p.def. and are easy to kill with level 10 or 11 AS.

The problem is when we meet someone with higher defense levels then our attack levels.

A AA with more defense level than our attack levels make AS level 11 is **** compare to level 10.

Yes, very true.
    Our concern is not when we fight someone with lower gears then us, we will beat them anyway, it's about end game people that have more defense levels then our attack levels.

It's about that a skill should be better at level 11 then 10 in ALL situations, not just in situation where we fight people with **** gears, I don't want my AS to be OP against people with 20 defense levels, but suck against someone with 90 defense levels +. I want my AS to be OP to fight people with better gears then me, for people with lowest gears I'll just throw Thicket and let them die one shot from it.

Your opponent having lower def lvls doesn't necessarily mean they have lower gear. Two r9rr arcanes fighting, for example, they have the same gear but both would have more atk lvls then their opponent's def lvls beacause of the (almost ridiculous) stats r9rr has.

I don't like having to categorise this based on gear but the cold truth is that:
    -If you're r9+ you'd want lvl 11AS
    -non-r9 then you want lvl 10

I agree that it's silly that lvl 11 is basically crappy compared to lvl 10 for like 90% of the population. But at the same time it's a boost for end-game gear because, before this, AS would be pretty useless for ppl with high atk lvls, because their other skills which would take them into consideration would hit harder than AS even if they're magic attacks. So it gives you the choice. It really really really sux though for non-r9 ppl that already have it at 11 (or future ppl that will raise it to 11 without knowing). If it stays like this I suggest a warning to be put in game on the sage/demon book.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Was this implemented right after the NW patch?

I posted a thread shortly after talking about how my AS was hitting for insanely high damage in pve mobs, but when I tested it on other players it still did the same crappy damage, even with 90+ attack levels.

So Attack levels still don't make a difference for AS when it comes to pvp, only pve.

Unless something has changed during that time, in which case, THIS IS AMAZING NEWS.

Good thing I got lvl 11 :D.

Seriously, if you use a jones blessing, this change is extremely good, unless you're still using nirv 2nd cast, in which case, you're using gear that is extremely outdated even for the norm.

Also @ Alexis: Nirv 3rd cast offers substantial attack levels as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    edited April 2013
    Was this implemented right after the NW patch?

I posted a thread shortly after talking about how my AS was hitting for insanely high damage in pve mobs, but when I tested it on other players it still did the same crappy damage, even with 90+ attack levels.

So Attack levels still don't make a difference for AS when it comes to pvp, only pve.

Unless something has changed during that time, in which case, THIS IS AMAZING NEWS.

Good thing I got lvl 11 :D.

Seriously, if you use a jones blessing, this change is extremely good, unless you're still using nirv 2nd cast, in which case, you're using gear that is extremely outdated even for the norm.

Also @ Alexis: Nirv 3rd cast offers substantial attack levels as well.

Well they say it was when NW appeared but I was on a break at that time so idk when it was implemented or what changed, only found out about it like 3 weeks ago f:cry

And yes it goes well with nirv 3rd cast too however, unlike r9, a full josd might still have more def lvls then your atk lvls. So I guess it depends on personal preference and the type of ppl you usually go up against.
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And what does it do when a Mystic with 15 Attack levels and 16 Def levels uses level 11 AS please?

Thanks. b:thanks
    edited April 2013
    And what does it do when a Mystic with 15 Attack levels and 16 Def levels uses level 11 AS please?

That make that mystic wish he had lvl 10 AS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• GoddessNoa - Sanctuary
    GoddessNoa - Sanctuary Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm rank999 12+ and and pretty much 1 shot any other rank 9 12+ arcane on the server. Which is why most r999s run when they see especially psy's. Its funny cause i still kill a 12+ all cleric with garnets in with 1 shot with AS you just have to know how to set up your combos. Ep and leech work great with AS, there goes my daily advice peace.
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    edited April 2013

That make that mystic wish he had lvl 10 AS.

^ This basically. With 15 atk lvls there's almost no situation where lvl 11 is better than lvl 10. Would be good like only against ppl that have no def lvls and wears jones blessing instead of o'malleys.
    I'm rank999 12+ and and pretty much 1 shot any other rank 9 12+ arcane on the server. Which is why most r999s run when they see especially psy's. Its funny cause i still kill a 12+ all cleric with garnets in with 1 shot with AS you just have to know how to set up your combos. Ep and leech work great with AS, there goes my daily advice peace.

The point being that that's only possible with the new version of lvl 11 AS and would certainly not be possible with lvl 10.

Conclusion, like I said it's all about your gear.
    edited April 2013
    Thank you Bella & Alexis.b:thanks

v4l, you know that is smelleh, right? b:sad

Being about the gears...well, there's nothing we can do about that. But, its hardly fair for the spell to change to a nerf (and have the player pay for that privilege) before that player changes their gears to the most advanced end game.
  • ChevaIier - Harshlands
    edited April 2013
    Yea I'm not R9r2. I wanted level 10 AS to compete with AA's who are decked out in JOSD. I have no concern of others who aren't at that standard. Thank you all for your input. I hope the community manager v4lliance will get a response from their development team soon.
    edited April 2013
    I started to play a Psy I made in the past. Isn't it funny how much more OP it is than my Mystic??

I used to love my Mystic. It was my main char until recently. Now, I dont even find it to be half as good as a level 40 Psy.

The hilarious thing about that is that I dont even know if that's because the Mystic has been nerfed completely off the OP meter; or, because, the baby Psy hasnt acquired anything worth nerfing yet. b:chuckle

Its a good thing most people who post in the forum were never 'main char' Mystics. That way, they won't be disappointed about such things happening.

Oh well...*shrugs* b:scorn
  • klys
    klys Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lol?

Don't mistake your shortcomings for a class disadvantage.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Mystics pretty much destroy psys at equal gear level...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
    edited April 2013
    klys wrote: »
    lol?

Don't mistake your shortcomings for a class disadvantage.

My shortcomings? What in your opinion are my shortcomings, lol?

From another post somewhere on these forums...

"Mystic is a very hybird class. at end game mystic is rarely needed as a healer(not enough in most cases) unless the cleric is a fail. the dmg of psy is much higher and their defences are nearly the same."

If the class isnt needed or wanted in squads, and isnt as good of a DD, its not MY shortcomings. b:chuckle
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    But this thread is talking about PVP, not PVE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
    edited April 2013
    But this thread is talking about PVP, not PVE.
    So I know it's not a new thing, and I can't find a thread about it, but I recently found out they changed absorb soul that Level 11 now CANNOT bypass Def levels; but level 10 and below CAN bypass Def lvl.

My question is Level 11 absorb soul even worth it anymore? At the moment i'm considering switching from demon path to sage path only to reset my level 11 to level 10 again -_-. I played mystic for this skill to compete with OP players with decked out JOSD and now they literally ruined that for me.

Any enlightenments, ideas or advice to what I should do will be appreciated. :)

Eoria, sorry sweetie, but the thread is about AS, not PvP.

The thread author states PvP type situations involving players with JOSD as his reason for getting level 11, but the thread itself is about a spell, and one I used to use alot in PvE and PvP.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, this isnt a bad thing for the game, just for anyone with gears lesser than R9 or better.

Also, there is absolutely nothing (not even cost) preventing a R9T3+12 JOSD's Mystic from resetting their spells to gain the level 10 advantage they dont need. xD