Pros & Cons of my gear and advise

issamali
issamali Posts: 24 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Assassin
So I hate that fact of being to squishy as a sin and been working on changing that. Given the new down where most people are going to full g16, r9, r9r our aps gear stand as the worst of the worst. Yes single targets we can stall and kill almost any class if we know how to play our sins. But with lots of arcane defense for wizy bramble on veno's clerics and there puri weaps archers and leaps you all know whats happening its getting harder and harder something nice and a challenge not like the old auto attacking style..

So I made a full g16 LA set for my sin currently at +7 refines full and aiming to +10 soon when I farm enough and hopefully a sale.

This is my target: http://pwcalc.com/84d703dc5f455cbf
Using Omaly blessing and turning chill on and off... I have barb buff lvl 10 on to show hp am after.

Dont ask why neck and belt and ring not +10 and other stuff. I work on priority list. I will refine more when I get a chance not easy to farm these daysb:surrender

Let me know if the sharding is fine or what would you do?
I still have my aps gear set full +10 and am having this on the side. I have an adv debuff nirv second cast bow which i try to use on fully buffed targets before jumping in like an idiot...

Advise is appreciated. Thanks
Post edited by issamali on

Comments

• FaithDread - Heavens Tear
    FaithDread - Heavens Tear Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    With your gear that highly refined, I would suggest ditching the HP Gems, the extra 1000~ HP doesnt seem worth it if you ask me. Sharding DoD would be ideal, but if thats a little to much I would suggest Sapphire Gems (Give the casters a run for there money) or go full DoT for a brute force approach. Sharding Accuracy Gems would be totally pro, but I have no idea how that would go xD Vit Stones would be great, but for the price, your better sharding DoD or DoT.

If you wanted a Brute Force approach it would be better to get x2 Sky Cover, Refine them, and then try and Faction Engrave Atk Level. Its a bit costly, but if you get Atk Level from it, you can ditch a DoT or 2 or just have more Atk over all. The Sapphire gems would be great for PvP, and would seriously boost your Survival, but you would have to refine your Pdef stuff higher to stand a chance against melee.

I see you dont have enough base Str for your armor, which does ultimately mean you do a bit more dmg with higher dex, but gives you a lot less to play with. Without the Sign of Frost i mean :)

Why is everything so costly? b:chuckle
    Crafting shiny things since 2008 b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    With your gear that highly refined, I would suggest ditching the HP Gems, the extra 1000~ HP doesnt seem worth it if you ask me. Sharding DoD would be ideal, but if thats a little to much I would suggest Sapphire Gems (Give the casters a run for there money) or go full DoT for a brute force approach. Sharding Accuracy Gems would be totally pro, but I have no idea how that would go xD Vit Stones would be great, but for the price, your better sharding DoD or DoT.

Dude, I'm sorry but you're talking out of your bum there.

DoD is not the best shard you can have. In fact, in terms of survivability, DoD is inferior to Primeval/Savant. You can use this tool Asterelle developed to find the optimal sharding depending your situation.
    If you wanted a Brute Force approach it would be better to get x2 Sky Cover, Refine them, and then try and Faction Engrave Atk Level. Its a bit costly, but if you get Atk Level from it, you can ditch a DoT or 2 or just have more Atk over all. The Sapphire gems would be great for PvP, and would seriously boost your Survival, but you would have to refine your Pdef stuff higher to stand a chance against melee.

Or he could just use two rings refineable for pdef and mdef ornaments.

But yes, it is seriously screwed if you have a full set of G16 armor refined to +10, a r9rr dagger and you're still running around with perfect shards in your stuff.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • FaithDread - Heavens Tear
    FaithDread - Heavens Tear Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well I did not know that, sorry for talking out my bum b:chuckle I dont even know how defense levels work lol.
    Crafting shiny things since 2008 b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited March 2013
    Well I did not know that, sorry for talking out my bum b:chuckle I dont even know how defense levels work lol.

Well, personally, to answer that question and a few others, I took some time to study up all damage related formulae in the game and made an interactive spreadsheet that calculates "effective HP" based on your base HP, defenses and defense/warding levels.

I then used that same principle to prioritize my progression on refines by finding out whether refining my ornaments over my armor would produce more effective HP.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But yes, it is seriously screwed if you have a full set of G16 armor refined to +10, a r9rr dagger and you're still running around with perfect shards in your stuff.

I'm using a full set of R9r2 refined to +10 (+11 daggers), and I use all perfect shards still D:

b:surrender

But that's only because I'm saving up my coin to upgrade my gear first, such as my tome, cape, and ornaments. And with the prospect of a possible new endgame shard showing up (+3 attack/def level shards), holding off on getting them might be worth it.

But to be on topic, what Assassins need to do nowadays is to learn how to skill spam to damage spike. That's the main relevant way of taking out groups and lock targets, as locking targets via skill spamming just flows into one another.

What I would suggest though, since you have R9r2 daggers on your calc, is to get the R9r2 belt. It doesn't require any refinement, and gives a massive boost to both magical and physical defense. It's slightly more costly, but it's really worth it in terms of complimenting your gear setup.

+10 P def G14 Warsong belt gives 1155 physical defense, while the Adversity Talisman gives you 850 P def, as well as 1150 M def. It also gives more attack and defense levels.
  • issamali
    issamali Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the advises sofar.

@ Olbaz... I know its not matching to put perfects in but i still didnt refine to +10 to start with so am using those as easy quick cheap solution till i can farm for better.

@ skai... Thanks for noting out the usefulness of the r9r3 belt will take it into consideration and work on it.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Skaitavia wrote: »
    +10 P def G14 Warsong belt gives 1155 physical defense, while the Adversity Talisman gives you 850 P def, as well as 1150 M def. It also gives more attack and defense levels.

Honestly, the r9t3 belt is pretty OP as far as LA equipment goes and the defenses it gives.

Interesting setup going r9t3 weapon... and thats the only piece thats r9. Oh, I guess ring too. I guess the plan will be to go for better gear as you can afford it but get the cheaper G16 with 5 and 6 piece bonuses now? Odd part about this is you'll have to wait till you have 4 pieces of r9t3 for it to pay off when you switch.

Your shards and refines: Honestly, hp is not nearly as important as defenses. You've +10 all your armor and citrine sharded everything but left your rings, belt, and necklace at +5 so now you have a 17k sin thats still a 1 shot to any class. Imo losing less hp is much better than having more hp and losing alot more.

Although I agree that r9t3 is the way to go with the belt I assume you have a t99 HA belt and necklace already. Refine those up for now so they double for pvp and pve farming and get a mdef cube neck instead. Not point in refining a cube neck and a warsong belt and a tt99 neck and a tt99 belt if they're all physical def. Just refine up your tt99 ornaments while you farm a r9t3 belt and magic cube neck.

Speaking of... magic defense. Where is it? In terms of sharding your most effective shard will prolly be Sapphires, followed by JoSD, Vit, DoD, Citrines. In PvP you should have damage reduction on pretty much 100% of the time, whether from genie, apos, or FM/TP buffs. Combine damage reduction with evasion and you're pretty set against physical opponents. Magic opponents hit harder and don't miss. You might negate their damage with FM, but you don't evade anything. Magic defense is going to be much more important than physical/
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, personally, to answer that question and a few others, I took some time to study up all damage related formulae in the game and made an interactive spreadsheet that calculates "effective HP" based on your base HP, defenses and defense/warding levels.

I then used that same principle to prioritize my progression on refines by finding out whether refining my ornaments over my armor would produce more effective HP.

may I have a link? btw, paramedic did that (without warding levels) some time ago, would be nice to compare the two spreadsheets xd
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited March 2013
    may I have a link?

Here you go. It's pretty plain without any bells and whistles.

I just kinda whipped it up together for a few reasons. Firstly, I wanted to tell my friend how good Warding Levels on Morai G15 gear actually are. Secondly, I wanted a tool that would give me some kind of direction on whether to refine my ornaments or armor. Thirdly, I wanted to compare the effective HP's of my Assassin and my friend's Seeker.

Not the first spreadsheet I did with the intention of comparisons. One particular discussion about dps ended with me making a spreadsheet where you can input the data from your Character Info menu and you could then pick which of them you would like to compare in a chart, a la Venomancer pets. No Warding levels in that one, though.
    btw, paramedic did that (without warding levels) some time ago, would be nice to compare the two spreadsheets xd

Yeah, I saw that. And honestly, I think he's gone a bit too far with it. All that introduction text, all that shorthand makes it hard to approach.

I did a quick comparison and I noticed that our numbers do not exactly match. Mostly because he rounds down, whereas I just truncate to integers. As far as I could see, there's no actual evidence that the game rounds damage numbers down.
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dont forget the new reforged R9 ring, It refines both phy and mag def. @ +11 its around 1100 each, that is a pretty big boost to defenses.
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Actually, according to the math Ive done regarding optimal points to shard, JoSDs wont be worth it till +11 and I think vit stones were on +10 mark. When we talk bout most cost efficient way to upgrade gear.

The math is flawed in one way though, it expects to refine with ocean orbs during sale and follows Archosaur pricing with obvious flaw regarding other servers. Not everybody follows this and thus the math has serious built in flaw in it but for my uses it works as I have no intention of refining w/o sale. Another possible flaw is I did it for R999 archer so its not universal for sins as they use partially lot lower grade gears, though its not the case here.

DoTs are different matter though as its impossible to create comparison to hp. But if we make assumption one would shard with vit stones if one didnt use DoTs, we could compare the gain from vit stones with DoT pricing, which on Archosaur is 10-15m less than vit stones and we get to interesting numbers. Id say that would make it pretty much preference question as unlike vit stones, DoTs would actually be cheaper than ocean orbs on sale.

Ps. Idiot with 4 vit stones on his +7 pants <.<.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited March 2013
    Actually, according to the math Ive done regarding optimal points to shard, JoSDs wont be worth it till +11 and I think vit stones were on +10 mark. When we talk bout most cost efficient way to upgrade gear.

That's a bit of a messed up analysis though.

You can't just compare their cost-per-survivability and decide that one of them is better than the other. Cheaper than the other, yes.
    The math is flawed in one way though, it expects to refine with ocean orbs during sale and follows Archosaur pricing with obvious flaw regarding other servers. Not everybody follows this and thus the math has serious built in flaw in it but for my uses it works as I have no intention of refining w/o sale. Another possible flaw is I did it for R999 archer so its not universal for sins as they use partially lot lower grade gears, though its not the case here.

Well, math like that is always flawed. The gear choices that you make affects the amount of HP and Defense Levels you have with no shards. Obviously, for a sin with no Defense Levels whatsoever and +12 armors, JoSD is going to be much better than Primeval/Savant. On the other hand, for an R9rr character with +3 armors, Primevals might end up with a superior result.

That's why I think that analysis on the "best" shard has only three real points of comparison. First being "optimal gear", e.g. R9rr with +12 on everything. Second being "common gear", such as a +10 5aps setup on an Assassin. The third is the case-by-case basis. And honestly, only the third has any room for cost arguments.
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    edited March 2013
    That's a bit of a messed up analysis though.

You can't just compare their cost-per-survivability and decide that one of them is better than the other. Cheaper than the other, yes.

I made it mostly to see in which order one should upgrade their gear if they have goal they are working for. With that in mind, you really can compare which is better way to upgrade gear. Least for me its obvious you try to get as much as you can with as little cost as possible. I`m not suggesting you should vit stone on +10 and JoSD when you hit +11, no. But I do mean you shouldnt JoSD if you arent going to to +11-+12 armors as they are simply so ridiculously expensive in comparison to vit stones.

Well, math like that is always flawed. The gear choices that you make affects the amount of HP and Defense Levels you have with no shards. Obviously, for a sin with no Defense Levels whatsoever and +12 armors, JoSD is going to be much better than Primeval/Savant. On the other hand, for an R9rr character with +3 armors, Primevals might end up with a superior result.

That's why I think that analysis on the "best" shard has only three real points of comparison. First being "optimal gear", e.g. R9rr with +12 on everything. Second being "common gear", such as a +10 5aps setup on an Assassin. The third is the case-by-case basis. And honestly, only the third has any room for cost arguments.

Please tell me you are kidding <.<. Biggest reason why everybody isnt +12 is because of the costs. Its not because ppl are satisfied with +10 they stick with it but because upgrades further are a lot more expensive in comparison. Easy way to test theory would be put 1 gold +12 orbs in boutique. Everybody and their moms would be running with +12 gear if that happened. The only point where costs are irrelevant is ultimate gear, period.

On archosaur JoSDs are around 100m nowdays, maybe bit under. Well were 2 months ago, last time my pc worked enough to log on(Literally bought new comp piece by piece to fix it when last pieces arrive) and from what I have heard, we have "cheap" JoSD.

22(3 sock helm & cape) JoSD would be 2.2 billion coins. R9 was 1.5k gold w/o sale nowdays? The super sale we had on cyber monday I think? It cut the prices by 50% and so we could say it`s 800g on super sale. But as those are rare, I`ll use the 1.5k gold price - 1500 x 1.2m = 1.8 billion.

G16 helm and cape are bout 30-40m, let`s use 40m to get bigger number. So 80m there to counter balance the risk of getting poor sockets worth adding sockets.

We have 7 pieces to refine(cape, helm, chest, pants, boots, bracers and weapon). +10 is bout 100m so there is 700m more added to the pot.

22 vit stones are bout 22 x 33m = 726m.

with 20k cannies, 100k raps(Archo was around those on xmas). R9 recast is 486m. To compensate bit on R999 npc costs, let`s call it 500m.

With JoSD 1800m + 80m + 700m + 500m + 2200m = 5280m ~5,3b

With vit stones 1800m + 80m + 700m + 500m + 726m = 3806m ~3.8b

5280 - 3806 / 3806 x 100% = 38.7%

I call that fairly massive difference. Sure, its done more regarding full R999 in mind but the less gear itself costs, the bigger relative difference we are talking bout. Imo anybody who thinks they prolly leave refines on +10 and even those who think they might +11 should stick with vit stones. The difference in costs is simply ridiculous.

Ps. I would shard my archer with JoSD if I could as I think I end up +11ing him but JoSD are simply stupid expensive for me = I have started hoarding vit stones.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited March 2013
    Please tell me you are kidding <.<. Biggest reason why everybody isnt +12 is because of the costs. Its not because ppl are satisfied with +10 they stick with it but because upgrades further are a lot more expensive in comparison. Easy way to test theory would be put 1 gold +12 orbs in boutique. Everybody and their moms would be running with +12 gear if that happened. The only point where costs are irrelevant is ultimate gear, period.

And that's exactly my point. Asking "Is JoSD better than Primeval?" is not the same thing as asking "Is JoSD more cost efficient than Primeval?"

Also, people having mostly +10 refines is a lot more complicated than that. +11 is special in that it requires both 1* orbs and Ocean Orbs to make. Or Tishas and Ocean Orbs. And that's a serious hindrance in terms of availability. For +12 Orbs, you can pretty much just wait for a Dragon's Fire Pack sale and get +12's from the catshops at a decent price.

JoSD being most costly than Primeval/Savant is rather irrelevant. It's not going to change the fact that JoSD is the better shard.
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    edited March 2013
    And that's exactly my point. Asking "Is JoSD better than Primeval?" is not the same thing as asking "Is JoSD more cost efficient than Primeval?"

Also, people having mostly +10 refines is a lot more complicated than that. +11 is special in that it requires both 1* orbs and Ocean Orbs to make. Or Tishas and Ocean Orbs. And that's a serious hindrance in terms of availability. For +12 Orbs, you can pretty much just wait for a Dragon's Fire Pack sale and get +12's from the catshops at a decent price.

JoSD being most costly than Primeval/Savant is rather irrelevant. It's not going to change the fact that JoSD is the better shard.

I guess I should of been more clear, because of how costly or random based getting to +11 is, its really bout investments. If you go vit stones instead of JoSD, you can really refine to +11 instead of +10. And really, its better to have finished vit stone set than JoSD set you are working on for god knows how long. The cheaper it is, the quicker you get it. And you really should +11 before you JoSD.

Its the bolded parts I consider more or less false. There would be no "common" gear if upgrades further didnt cost so much. And I found it absurd one would consider its worth it to JoSD but not +11, when all my math has suggested it`s the other way around. It`s more cost efficient to +11 than JoSD.

My JoSD vs vit stones math is from so long ago Im not sure I remember it correctly. JoSD were better at +10 refines but worse than vit stones on +11 refines. Im pretty sure the +11 vit stones was actually the cheaper path too.

I find the approach where costs are disregarded fairly idiotic for most people, small minority can afford whatever gear they want. Other people should make realistic budget for 6 months or so of work(Farming/merching/CSing). And build gear inside the budget. This is why its crucial to consider the costs between sharding options.

Ps. Dunno bout other servers but on Archo there are no +12 orbs under 200m, heck, usually they are for 250m. And I really wouldnt call those prices decent.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited March 2013
    Its the bolded parts I consider more or less false. There would be no "common" gear if upgrades further didnt cost so much. And I found it absurd one would consider its worth it to JoSD but not +11, when all my math has suggested it`s the other way around. It`s more cost efficient to +11 than JoSD.

The thing is, people don't work on logic. People work on observation. Someone with a full set of R9 at +10 is going to see that their character has around 20-40 Defense Levels while having a crapton of HP. Their observation tells them that they have a lot of HP and not a lot of Defense Levels, so to balance it out, they will get Defense Levels.
    Ps. Dunno bout other servers but on Archo there are no +12 orbs under 200m, heck, usually they are for 250m. And I really wouldnt call those prices decent.

I recently opened 4,700 Dragon's Fire Packs, got 2 Dragon Orb Flames and sold them for 275,000,000 a piece. As for what I mean by a "fair price", I meant a price that is close to the price of making it from scratch:

- Dragon Orb Flame requires 1,905 1* Orbs and 2 Ocean Orbs to make
    - 1,905 1* Orbs can be priced at 137.2 Gold and the 2 Ocean Orbs at 25.5 Gold a piece
    - Gold at 1,300,000 - 1,400,000

From there, we get the costs of a Dragon Orb Flame to be 244,660,000 - 263,480,000. You obviously will never see them go for below that price, unless there's a ridiculous sale. Heck, you'll probably be hard pressed to see them sold for even close to the maximum, since all of the catshops are after profit and can abuse the extremely low supply for profit.

And let's be serious, even if JoSD is ridiculously cost inefficient in comparison to Primevals, that's not going to change anything. Firstly because you cannot grade cost efficiency, it's always relative to the individual case. Secondly because JoSD is still the best shard that is easily accessible; Creation Stone beats it but isn't exactly commonly available.

And if you ask me, someone who's got a full set of +10 gear and an R9rr weapon should be able to afford JoSD.
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    edited March 2013
    The thing is, people don't work on logic. People work on observation. Someone with a full set of R9 at +10 is going to see that their character has around 20-40 Defense Levels while having a crapton of HP. Their observation tells them that they have a lot of HP and not a lot of Defense Levels, so to balance it out, they will get Defense Levels.

This is no excuse to advocate such thinking. Really, if we take the role of doing math and educating people regarding mechanics, we better make sure we take relevant factors in consideration.

And from what Ive learned, people follow logic in their actions pretty well as long as they have enough information available. 2 equal products, other cheaper than the other? People will pick the cheaper as long as the products are equal. Reason why Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Apple, etc. do so well is their brand, its not based on information but on, usually untrue, image of the product. I can see the same happening in this community regarding JoSD, which is funny as they were so underrated back in days.

I recently opened 4,700 Dragon's Fire Packs, got 2 Dragon Orb Flames and sold them for 275,000,000 a piece. As for what I mean by a "fair price", I meant a price that is close to the price of making it from scratch:

- Dragon Orb Flame requires 1,905 1* Orbs and 2 Ocean Orbs to make
    - 1,905 1* Orbs can be priced at 137.2 Gold and the 2 Ocean Orbs at 25.5 Gold a piece
    - Gold at 1,300,000 - 1,400,000

From there, we get the costs of a Dragon Orb Flame to be 244,660,000 - 263,480,000. You obviously will never see them go for below that price, unless there's a ridiculous sale. Heck, you'll probably be hard pressed to see them sold for even close to the maximum, since all of the catshops are after profit and can abuse the extremely low supply for profit.

And let's be serious, even if JoSD is ridiculously cost inefficient in comparison to Primevals, that's not going to change anything. Firstly because you cannot grade cost efficiency, it's always relative to the individual case. Secondly because JoSD is still the best shard that is easily accessible; Creation Stone beats it but isn't exactly commonly available.

And if you ask me, someone who's got a full set of +10 gear and an R9rr weapon should be able to afford JoSD.

Actually Archosaur is pretty weird when it comes down to 1* orbs, you can get em for under 100k a pop during nice sale but the gold has been ~1.2-1.3m during those times and it wouldnt completely explain difference to your prices. But the low supply abuse makes, least on Archosaur, those catshops badly overpriced and prices are imo anything but decent.

Of course every player is different, which all more the reason to consider cases individually. Saying JoSD is best shard period simply isnt the truth, which is "JoSD is the best shard if you can afford it and refining your gear very highly". If this is not the case, JoSD isnt the best shard for you, not cost efficiently or even effective health wise.

Well, lets talk some numbers. From one of my post we had 1.5k gold for R9 set, 1.8m on my server. 80m for those helm and cape, cube neck 100m, sky cover 80m(/lunar 20m). 2 garnets for wep, totaling to 50m. each piece to +10 is 100m each so 9x 100m = 900m. +11 with tishas is hard to determine but saying 3 orbs (= 4 tries) = 90m. And the +12 orb for 250m.

1800m + 80m + 100m + 80m + 50m + 900m + 90m + 250m = 3350m

22 JoSD = 2200m so 3350 + 2200 = 5550m and therefore 2200/5500 x 100% = 40% of total costs.

22 vit stones = 726m + 3350 = 4076m so 726 / 4076 x 100% = 18% of total costs.

But as we saw the one day super sale on R9, lets do math on 800g. 1.2m x 800 = 960m and easy way to alter math is simply reduce 1800-960 = 840m out of costs.

3350 - 840 = 2510m

2510 + 2200 = 4710 so 2200 / 4710 x 100% = 47% of total costs.

726 + 2510 = 3236 so 726 / 3236 x 100% = 22% of total costs.

It would be possible to farm cannies/raps from NW but I dont think it should be taken into account as those can be sold, though monetary value of those is falling. Point being, real costs in gear nowdays are R9, refines and shards. The jump from R9 to R999 is ultimately peanuts and farmable if thats how you wanna roll.

What Im doing is waiting on that super sale to get my archer R9 and work forward from there.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    edited March 2013
    This is no excuse to advocate such thinking. Really, if we take the role of doing math and educating people regarding mechanics, we better make sure we take relevant factors in consideration.

And I did.
    And from what Ive learned, people follow logic in their actions pretty well as long as they have enough information available. 2 equal products, other cheaper than the other? People will pick the cheaper as long as the products are equal. Reason why Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Apple, etc. do so well is their brand, its not based on information but on, usually untrue, image of the product. I can see the same happening in this community regarding JoSD, which is funny as they were so underrated back in days.

From what I've learned, people still believe that certain characters are "luckier" than others when it comes to packs or any other RNG related reward. Heck, I've seen people claim that PWE turns down the odds of the better rewards during sales. And this is all after I've spent the last 10+ minutes explaining about how I've managed to profit by opening many of these random boxes, e.g. Hot Colors Pack and Dragon's Fire Pack.
    Of course every player is different, which all more the reason to consider cases individually. Saying JoSD is best shard period simply isnt the truth, which is "JoSD is the best shard if you can afford it and refining your gear very highly". If this is not the case, JoSD isnt the best shard for you, not cost efficiently or even effective health wise.

Well, lets talk some numbers. From one of my post we had 1.5k gold for R9 set, 1.8m on my server. 80m for those helm and cape, cube neck 100m, sky cover 80m(/lunar 20m). 2 garnets for wep, totaling to 50m. each piece to +10 is 100m each so 9x 100m = 900m. +11 with tishas is hard to determine but saying 3 orbs (= 4 tries) = 90m. And the +12 orb for 250m.

1800m + 80m + 100m + 80m + 50m + 900m + 90m + 250m = 3350m

22 JoSD = 2200m so 3350 + 2200 = 5550m and therefore 2200/5500 x 100% = 40% of total costs.

22 vit stones = 726m + 3350 = 4076m so 726 / 4076 x 100% = 18% of total costs.

But as we saw the one day super sale on R9, lets do math on 800g. 1.2m x 800 = 960m and easy way to alter math is simply reduce 1800-960 = 840m out of costs.

3350 - 840 = 2510m

2510 + 2200 = 4710 so 2200 / 4710 x 100% = 47% of total costs.

726 + 2510 = 3236 so 726 / 3236 x 100% = 22% of total costs.

Honestly, I don't care. If you have the minimum 3,236,000,000 that you claim, it wouldn't be difficult at all to make the difference by merchanting.
    It would be possible to farm cannies/raps from NW but I dont think it should be taken into account as those can be sold, though monetary value of those is falling. Point being, real costs in gear nowdays are R9, refines and shards. The jump from R9 to R999 is ultimately peanuts and farmable if thats how you wanna roll.

What Im doing is waiting on that super sale to get my archer R9 and work forward from there.

The thing is, I was responding to someone claiming DoD as the "ideal shard", in the context of a sin with R9rr dagger and a full set of G16 +10 gear. Are you seriously going to recommend Primevals to a sin that has 15.5k hp without any shards and has gear that is worth several billions? Also, combining this with this calculator gives you a 7.0% increase in effective HP when you go full JoSD over full Primeval. Curiously, the best balance would be 19:5, yielding 7.2% more effective HP than going full Primeval.

Also worth noting is that going from Perfect Citrines to the 19:5 split would give you 30% more effective HP.
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    edited March 2013
    And I did.

Actually no, you didnt. You stated people only see hp and all of that irrelevant branding to why people prefer JoSD. You take no action against such thinking, you only say people dont work on logic and move on.

From what I've learned, people still believe that certain characters are "luckier" than others when it comes to packs or any other RNG related reward. Heck, I've seen people claim that PWE turns down the odds of the better rewards during sales. And this is all after I've spent the last 10+ minutes explaining about how I've managed to profit by opening many of these random boxes, e.g. Hot Colors Pack and Dragon's Fire Pack.

Because people dont understand probability is okey to give advice which works in their minds, no matter what reality is?

Honestly, I don't care. If you have the minimum 3,236,000,000 that you claim, it wouldn't be difficult at all to make the difference by merchanting.

Where I claimed I had that 3b? I have made my budget, accounted CSing and what I likely feel like farming. Right now Im sitting on ~1b, 2-3 months of comp being broken has also influenced it fairly highly. Least I suspect we both understand what 318g and 3 months of merching with 1b starting capital can be made into. But 1.5b difference is bout 2-3 months I suspect, more if I dont have time to farm.

The thing is, I was responding to someone claiming DoD as the "ideal shard", in the context of a sin with R9rr dagger and a full set of G16 +10 gear. Are you seriously going to recommend Primevals to a sin that has 15.5k hp without any shards and has gear that is worth several billions? Also, combining this with this calculator gives you a 7.0% increase in effective HP when you go full JoSD over full Primeval. Curiously, the best balance would be 19:5, yielding 7.2% more effective HP than going full Primeval.

Also worth noting is that going from Perfect Citrines to the 19:5 split would give you 30% more effective HP.

Actually yes, I would. If somebody goes partially G16 gear with R999 weapon it really is because they dont feel like they can afford full R999. Or do you honestly believe there can be any other reason for such a decision? Plain and simple, I`d take full R999 with Vit stones instead of that build with JoSD. I`m pretty certain you would make the same decision. JoSD on N3 gear is simply plain stupid, unless it`s +12 set you are using on multiple toons. And obviously, helm and cape are special cases.