Non human sentience and PW

MANray_ - Sanctuary
MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion
I've been meaning to start this thread for a while in order to try and get some opinions on the possibility of non human users in MMO settings. This is from an abstract/literary point of view of course, I'm thinking on a couple of workable sci-fi ideas, I haven't gone insane. Extra-terrestrials, AI, sentient cryptids, post-humans, paralel reality doppelgangers, inter-dimensional beings, self aware "figments of imagination", Lovecraftian entities, the dead... There's a lot of potential in terms of possible "players" and their likely motivations.

Now, in order for this not to get buried as an off-topic let get me to the PW specific part. I'm positing a game/community like PW's would be perfect for infiltration by non-humans.

1) Free to play as a model makes it perfect for entities which may have trouble setting up credit card accounts. A gaming community that has remained mostly stable for a period of years makes investment of resources (time) worthwhile.

2) A setting based on irl myth, a large number of international players and features such as marriage, fashion, etc. all make for a better environment in which to try "socialize" non-humans.

3) The particular profiles of No-lifers, heavy CSers, etc. could be useful to entities meaning to establish a base from which to further interact with the human world.

b:surrender Come on, GMs get to post this kind of topics on maintenance nights...
Post edited by MANray_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Shardik - Lost City
    Shardik - Lost City Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sounds....interesting. I like the idea.

These beings would have a very good idea of our society , or just our base psychology from playing these kind of games :P

But one thing that i suppose would drive them nuts is this : WHO THE HELL IS LEEROY JENKINS XD

Another thing would be that they could communicate with us in weird and strange ways.

And that explains those blue named chars that spam our chat windows with cryes for help.b:shocked

b:chuckle Keep this up :P
  • Tide_Surfer - Archosaur
    Tide_Surfer - Archosaur Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I've been meaning to start this thread for a while in order to try and get some opinions on the possibility of non human users in MMO settings. This is from an abstract/literary point of view of course, I'm thinking on a couple of workable sci-fi ideas, I haven't gone insane. Extra-terrestrials, AI, sentient cryptids, post-humans, paralel reality doppelgangers, inter-dimensional beings, self aware "figments of imagination", Lovecraftian entities, the dead... There's a lot of potential in terms of possible "players" and their likely motivations.

Now, in order for this not to get buried as an off-topic let get me to the PW specific part. I'm positing a game/community like PW's would be perfect for infiltration by non-humans.

1) Free to play as a model makes it perfect for entities which may have trouble setting up credit card accounts. A gaming community that has remained mostly stable for a period of years makes investment of resources (time) worthwhile.

2) A setting based on irl myth, a large number of international players and features such as marriage, fashion, etc. all make for a better environment in which to try "socialize" non-humans.

3) The particular profiles of No-lifers, heavy CSers, etc. could be useful to entities meaning to establish a base from which to further interact with the human world.

b:surrender Come on, GMs get to post this kind of topics on maintenance nights...

Wut? O.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tide_Surfer: "I feel SPESHALL *says like a lil kid*"
    Veneir: "Seashell? :3"
    Tide_Surfer: "Yes Veny, yes. A speshall seashell."
  • Shardik - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    Wut? O.O

I AM UNFAZED AT YOUR HUMANS WUT'S. b:chuckle

lolol :P
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So like, there is this comic called

HOMESTUCK

And like,

There is an alien race of

Trolls

from the planet Alternia

and they like play an online game with

Humans as the plot for the entire comic.

Yup.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shardik - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    So like, there is this comic called

HOMESTUCK

And like,

There is an alien race of

Trolls

from the planet Alternia

and they like play an online game with

Humans as the plot for the entire comic.

Yup.

That is complete bullshyt:P
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    That is complete bullshyt:P

Google Homestuck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shardik - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    Google Homestuck

WHAT.

WHAT IS GOOGLE. IS THAT ONE OF YOUR HUMAN **** SEARCH ENGINE? DIDNT YOU MEAN SGRUUBLE?

Just trolling ya there man XD

This **** is going off topic hard. XD

Btw getting back on topic. Human and non human sentience is a weak division (thinking of intelligence and sentience here, bear with me :P), i for one would like to encounter sentient beings, not necessarily with our human equivalent of intelligence.
  • SkogDyr - Lost City
    SkogDyr - Lost City Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    non human users in MMO settings

Aren't those called bots? and we have those already, thanks. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shardik - Lost City
    edited January 2013

non-human Sentient beings/users.

It is totally different :P

And who knows how many are out there b:shocked
  • Rerum - Sanctuary
    Rerum - Sanctuary Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm wondering if in a close future there will be A.Is that will disguise themselves as Humans in MMORPGs, soooooo instead of wondering if that female toon is really a guy pretending to be a girl b:laugh you will be wondering if that Toon would be really be a human or not b:laugh
    How to play the game? 5.0 has the final say!!!
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    non-human Sentient beings/users.

It is totally different :P

And who knows how many are out there b:shocked

>b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    Magic Hamster didn't retire. He assimilated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shardik - Lost City
    edited January 2013

Holy flipping fiddlesticks.

b:shocked
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Or aliens or Trolls or ponies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Lavendarfae - Raging Tide
    Lavendarfae - Raging Tide Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well to any alien who may be playing this game as a way to understand "human nature" the internet is the last place to go for that. Especially when it comes to an escapist activity such as this.

They would have to actually walk amongst us to get us. We are pretty complex animals with very different modes of behaving that cannot be accurately displayed in a text box. We also tend to change for our environment. And games like these are played by only a certain group of people which make up a very small slice of the human pie. We are not the 99%.

But that being said this would be an interesting story. I'll have to check out the comic. b:cute
    edited January 2013
    A alien playing that game must be depress or secretly a human that got kidnap by aliens and raise like a alien.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Shardik - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    Well to any alien who may be playing this game as a way to understand "human nature" the internet is the last place to go for that. Especially when it comes to an escapist activity such as this.

They would have to actually walk amongst us to get us. We are pretty complex animals with very different modes of behaving that cannot be accurately displayed in a text box. We also tend to change for our environment. And games like these are played by only a certain group of people which make up a very small slice of the human pie. We are not the 99%.

But that being said this would be an interesting story. I'll have to check out the comic. b:cute

It is :P

Check it out.

Don't blame ME if your thinking pan goes AWOL :p b:chuckle
  • Shardik - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    BTW.

Back on topic :P
    Time traveling post singularity humans would rock so much in PWI.

If ya ever read charles stross books :P they are da **** :P
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013

I don't know, human nature is difficult to define... In any case I've always considered the "walking amongst us" scenario to be bad sicence fiction as there really are an enormous number of complications with it, biocontamination and lateral DNA transfer being just a start, so contact through virtual environments may really be the only practical form of interaction we could ever possibly get with aliens.

I think AI to be more promising however, Rerum makes a good reference to a Turing test scenario. I also like Shardik's contributions, bit of a Chesterton thing going on in there...

Kniraven, thank you for the comic reference... Not a bad concept but really not my cup of tea, art didn't apeal to me much and I find the interaction a bit annoying... Going through the plot on Wikipedia there was too much of a space opera thing going on for me (usually suspense of disbelief flies out the window with "saving the universe", unless you're Isaac Asimov) which coupled with some very obvious reference to gamer culture (apparently they use a character based on Richard Garriott) kind of makes it a bit messy. Myself I like fiction that's darker and close to plausible, so I guess I won't really be exploring Secret Garden type scenarios involving ponies... Not that I don't appreciate discussing those...

b:thanks Thank you all, I'm actually getting good food for thought out of this thread.

b:shocked And on hamsta being assimilated I think you got it backwards... Hamsters are the Borg...
    edited January 2013
    I don't know, human nature is difficult to define... In any case I've always considered the "walking amongst us" scenario to be bad sicence fiction as there really are an enormous number of complications with it, biocontamination and lateral DNA transfer being just a start, so contact through virtual environments may really be the only practical form of interaction we could ever possibly get with aliens.

I think AI to be more promising however, Rerum makes a good reference to a Turing test scenario. I also like Shardik's contributions, bit of a Chesterton thing going on in there...

Kniraven, thank you for the comic reference... Not a bad concept but really not my cup of tea, art didn't apeal to me much and I find the interaction a bit annoying... Going through the plot on Wikipedia there was too much of a space opera thing going on for me (usually suspense of disbelief flies out the window with "saving the universe", unless you're Isaac Asimov) which coupled with some very obvious reference to gamer culture (apparently they use a character based on Richard Garriott) kind of makes it a bit messy. Myself I like fiction that's darker and close to plausible, so I guess I won't really be exploring Secret Garden type scenarios involving ponies... Not that I don't appreciate discussing those...

b:thanks Thank you all, I'm actually getting good food for thought out of this thread.

b:shocked And on hamsta being assimilated I think you got it backwards... Hamsters are the Borg...

^ I doubt she/he's human.

More and more the thread goes, more and more I wonder what that do in general section.

Am I human?
    Or a robot?

b:puzzled
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• __ian__ - Heavens Tear
    __ian__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited January 2013

The Drugz are strong with this one 0.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Complete your first quest. b:bye
    Feb 24, 2009
  • SunDownXIII - Dreamweaver
    SunDownXIII - Dreamweaver Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    May she means having non human classes? Like robots, aliens. Maybe I'm not reading it right lol. Anyway robots no! It bad enough having those stupid bikes around arch they make no sense... Then again riding around on a raptor is not all that realistic also buy I guess it goes a bit more with the flow of the game. And some what the time period. We don't need guns or plasma blasters lol
    101/101/102
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Also run around as a R1 seeker named WildFireXIII b:chuckle and now as a Stormbringer named xGrimStormxX, and no I'm not Grim from Kindred
  • Shardik - Lost City
    edited January 2013

Thanks :P!! gotta keep this kind of threads moving and being created b:victory

Oh god Asimov is the man! (did you read all foundation saga ???)

He is like Jhon Cusack+Chuck Norris, Only cooler and deader.

And lol At the Borg reference :P

On topic: If the visiting humans /sentient beings/ whatevs visit us, yeah! virtual environments are safer for them, and also us!

Now, thinking aloud here, but do you imagine that there were some causality violations going on there? Things would be toasted very hard, unless the causality violation was the thing that jump started the causality violation :P

And space operas rock :P but Asimov kind :P

And that comic , its pretty good :P, mostly because it's incessantly bumbling extraordinaire b:shocked

And do not get me started on Stephen King and The dark Tower.

That **** made me go apeshyt bananas over the books. b:chuckle
  • Shardik - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    May she means having non human classes? Like robots, aliens. Maybe I'm not reading it right lol. Anyway robots no! It bad enough having those stupid bikes around arch they make no sense... Then again riding around on a raptor is not all that realistic also buy I guess it goes a bit more with the flow of the game. And some what the time period. We don't need guns or plasma blasters lol

No bro :P she is talking about the idea that the players could be, OR not humans.

Not the characters, just the players :P

But having robots in PWI would be too OP
  • Shardik - Lost City
    edited January 2013

More and more the thread goes, more and more I wonder what that do in general section.

Am I human?
    Or a robot?

Bella you are obviously human because your draws are too cool :P b:chuckle

I mean come on, Those are okoolt majyks at work right there XD b:shocked

PS: i want that panda
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Okay back on topic:

I have no idea what the h e l l you are talking about.

But with the resources/technology required for aliens to cross the galaxies to get here, when they arrive they sure as heck arent going to sit down and play an mmo and drink a cup of char. They will wipe us out or enslave us and probably take a dam sight better care of the planet than humans ever did.

EDIT - hopefully I'll be useful as some kind of leader/slave manager etc
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013

I'm a dude... That's what the MAN part in MANray is meant to convey... As for being human... b:avoid

Am I human?
    Or a robot?

Actually, from a strictly solipsistic point of view, it would be impossible for me to tell...
    Thanks :P!! gotta keep this kind of threads moving and being created b:victory

Oh god Asimov is the man! (did you read all foundation saga ???)

I'm a big fan of Foundation, although I find the later books to be lacking in the classical elements of Asimov's original work.

He is like Jhon Cusack+Chuck Norris, Only cooler and deader.

And lol At the Borg reference :P

Resistance is futile.

On topic: If the visiting humans /sentient beings/ whatevs visit us, yeah! virtual environments are safer for them, and also us!

Now, thinking aloud here, but do you imagine that there were some causality violations going on there? Things would be toasted very hard, unless the causality violation was the thing that jump started the causality violation :P

Geek mode on.Personally I'm more partial to more conservative motifs when it comes to relativity/time travel. Either causality violations are impossible and self correct at the point of divergence or, in accordance to current interpretations of string theory, they give rise to a paralel universe. There's really no beating the potential for good fiction in the beautiful way early 20th century scientists expressed themselves however (Einstein's simultaneity, Schrodinger's cat, Heisenberg's uncertainty) as most modern physics is usually expressed in terms too laboured or abstract to be poetic. I guess in terms of beautiful imagery it all went downhill in the 60's when scientists started giving flavors to particles...

And space operas rock :P but Asimov kind :P

And that comic , its pretty good :P, mostly because it's incessantly bumbling extraordinaire

And do not get me started on Stephen King and The dark Tower.

I'm ambivalent when it comes to Stephen King, there's definitive flashes of genius but a lot of derivative work as well. I did enjoy The Dark Tower trilogy but it's really not hard sci fi. My favorite work of his, ironically in cinema, is neither terror nor science fiction; The Shawshank Redemption.

That **** made me go apeshyt bananas over the books. b:chuckle

What I find fascinating about MMO's is the social dynamics and its subcultural context and I think this is mostly lost on fan fiction either when it's fully submerged, which is usually pretty lame, or breaking the fourth wall a la Pan's Labyrinth, which is alright but overdone. You have this world with very real ramifications such as addiction, gambling and pathological spending. Guild politics and drama, social outcasts (lone wolves, guild hopping Ronin) class dynamics, leetism, vapid fashionistas, closet furry and kemonomimi fetishists, as well as actual predatory paraphiliacs such as pedos, otakus, irl gold farming mafias, botters, wannabe hackers, sometimes even actual hackers... You've got the existential problem regarding blurry definitions of reality, role playing (I don't mean the geeky kind) romantic relationships (including some dramas a la M Butterfly) co-dependence, bullying victims turning into trash talking PvP'ers. The post modernity issues of the gaming lifestyle, the jaded gamer idle on Archo for most of his logged in time... I could go on and on and haven't even gotten to forum dynamics. This I think makes for a wonderful background for stories regarding the issue of identity. I'm not naive enough to consider it hasn't been done, but I do think it's worth exploring.
    The Drugz are strong with this one 0.o

Most people who know me irl would call that an understatement...

Edit; At MageMERC, Alien invasions are usually not suported by economics. The problem is resources such as air or water, even biomass, would be more easily available from other sources that do not involve the hazards of bio-contamination an habited planet poses. Ypou could argue for the slavery scenario in terms of industrial output, but for a far more advanced civilization an arrangement of cultural dominance would likely prove much more effective. Which means, as undramatic as it may sound, there's much more likelyhood of aliens coming all the way here just to log online than participating in some absurd, unnecessary war.
    edited January 2013
    Bella you are obviously human because your draws are too cool :P b:chuckle

I mean come on, Those are okoolt majyks at work right there XD b:shocked

PS: i want that panda

you should go see the new draw I just added. =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Nariin - Dreamweaver
    Nariin - Dreamweaver Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited January 2013

But with the resources/technology required for aliens to cross the galaxies to get here, when they arrive they sure as heck arent going to sit down and play an mmo and drink a cup of char. They will wipe us out or enslave us and probably take a dam sight better care of the planet than humans ever did.

What if they have no bodies and no visual sight and stuff? Basically, what if that can read and project computer codes easier then real life projection of senses they may not have? Or not flying here phisically with some advanced technology, but simply acess the network from anywhere by having different "interpretation" and restrictions of space?

If it doesn't make sense, blame it on my English.

Toodles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Want a custom faction/fav icon? Look no further! Visit my 👿 Icon Repository in the Fanatics Forum.
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    ^ but please, for the love of god, read the first page before making requests (UPDATED)