PW International? Really?

Options
Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
PWI 3 Year Anniversary Giveaway Rules

1. DESCRIPTION / ELIGIBILITY: No purchase necessary. This sweepstakes is open only to participants who are legal residents age 18 or older of the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and Rhode Island).

I suggest you change your name to PW Continental USA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
Post edited by Blancheneige - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• BlubZ - Heavens Tear
    BlubZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    its International when 2 countries are counted in..USA and Canada..there is nothing u can do abt it b:sad

E: im from finland and its okee for me =)
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I think publisher this day likes to call U.S.A or N/A version as International or Global....
    Because it for America i guess.... that sort kind of ranked as no 1... or the leader...
    b:surrender

Note : I am not pro usa
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    "North America" is global/International?
    Typical.

(see ducktapez post
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    You know...there are differing laws between many countries about contests and lotteries, that limit what a company hosted in the USA can do with contests with people in other countries. You ever think that these may be the reason this is what you not eligible for it?
    No, of course not. Its easier to slam PWE based on nothing, than actually look into it, or ask in a decent manner.
    Canada is often excluded from contests like these because of differing laws.
  • mastuhsig
    mastuhsig Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Or they just don't want to pay shipping for outside the continental US.
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    You know...there are differing laws between many countries about contests and lotteries, that limit what a company hosted in the USA can do with contests with people in other countries. You ever think that these may be the reason this is what you not eligible for it?
    No, of course not. Its easier to slam PWE based on nothing, than actually look into it, or ask in a decent manner.
    Canada is often excluded from contests like these because of differing laws.

Keyboard bombs are the new craze among terrorists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • Ikarium - Dreamweaver
    Ikarium - Dreamweaver Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Keyboard bombs are the new craze among terrorists.
    Did I say anything about customs, or terrorists? No. Differing lotto, contest and gambling laws beween countries can prohibit these things from taking place.
    Maybe you should have actually read it.
  • DuckTapez - Archosaur
    DuckTapez - Archosaur Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    no no, you don't understand
    Americans think they ARE the whole world

b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Duct tape is like The Force: bright on one side, dark on the other. It holds the world together, and, if not handled correctly, becomes a sticky mess.
    edited September 2011
    Options

b:quiet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    What's pretty funny is my wife entered that contest and didn't want the keyboard anyways if she won, she'd have wanted the flyer.

However, given PW can't even come up with a simple math problem so us in Canada can win, it's pretty humorous they include Canada at all.

Also, just out of curiosity, I wonder if Rhode Island is discounted from the contest for similar reasons. I'm kinda baffled at that one, since it's in the lower 48.
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Also, just out of curiosity, I wonder if Rhode Island is discounted from the contest for similar reasons. I'm kinda baffled at that one, since it's in the lower 48.
    "Any person, firm, or corporation proposing to engage in any game, contest, or other promotion or advertising scheme or plan in which a retail establishment offers the opportunity to receive gifts, prizes, or gratuities, as determined by chance, in order to promote its retail business, where the total announced value of the prizes offered to the general public is in excess of five hundred dollars ($500), must file a statement with the secretary of state."

That's why. PWE filling out paperwork for it's players? Hah.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    That's why. PWE filling out paperwork for it's players? Hah.

I highly doubt that keyboard is worth $500, so that's pretty much a moot point. Since the wings are virtual property, PWE can place any price they want on them, be it $0.01 or $1000. I think it's more of what Ikarium was referring to, contest regulations differing from country to country.

I do agree that some consideration should be made to those who live outside the continental U.S., so that they have a chance to win a prize as well, similar to what they did with the Facebook contests.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Honestly I don't blame them, too. Bureaucracy ftl. And I can barely find anyone in Canada who likes the law here surrounding contests either. Pretty short sighted on PW's part though to include Canada when they aren't following the rules and this disqualify us.

Edit: Ahh, not in excess of $500.. wonder what the real reason is then on Rhode Island.
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Rhode Island, due to its small population, has more restrictions regarding contests than any other of the 50 states.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question541.htm

This article even goes on to explain how running contests internationally is a hassle for most companies.
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    Jay_Dubbz - Lost City Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    oh here we go again, bashing Americans, cuz PWI happens to originate in USA

This version is called International because it is English, and English is an very popular international language, hence "International"

It lets people from other countries play pwi where it wouldn't be available obviously
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I heard my version are english
    I heard ph version are english
    I heard multi language version are english (eu closed)

It usa / na that why it international / global. b:victory
    ofc usa always welcome those who want to play, as long there no restriction from user country server
    ^ just like many other official server
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlubZ - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options

+1 but what they dont know is that they're actually all from europe except black ppl =)
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    oh here we go again, bashing Americans, cuz PWI happens to originate in USA

This version is called International because it is English, and English is an very popular international language, hence "International"

It lets people from other countries play pwi where it wouldn't be available obviously

This versions is the version Perfect World China made to cover most of the worlds language abilities, since English is the most widespread language in the world. It involves coding and developing in China and Publishing and translating in America. This by itself makes it an international game. The ones claiming it's not international because the times and events are obviously going to match better with the laws and normal operating business hours of the country in which it is translated and published are the ones that think the whole world most revolve around them and that anything that's international most include them. This simply isn't true and it is not the definition of the word international. They didn't even have to include Canada for it to be international, as it's a game run by two different countries all the way on the opposites of the Earth and thus automatically international for that reason alone. PWI now also is expanding into the European market after the collapse of that version of the game, since the French and German players have long had to use different clients and different websites and then have to put up with people getting irritated with them for not knowing English, this is obviously the people they chose to help first. Their gameplay was the most impeded as it wasn't just event times and contests that were hard for them to participate in, it was a struggle to even find squads.

So yeah, international doesn't automatically mean Europe or any other country. It simply means between two or more countries. It being China and the US automatically makes it international. It doesn't have to include anyone. It could have been China and England, or China and Brazil, or China and Sao Tome and Principe. As long as two countries were involved, it would be an international game.

Also, most companies don't make the same prizes available to anyone outside the country of origin. The logistics and the legal fees that would be required to hold such a contest makes it unfeasible for even countries who make far more money than PWI. Even McDonalds monopoly game is only valid in the country they are holding it in at the time. Instead of stereotyping 307 million because you can't enter a contest, why not try reading up on an issue.

Also Americans come from all different countries in the world, they aren't all from Europe. In fact, most babies born in the US aren't even of European ancestry anymore. There are native americans, people from china, many Hmong people, black people, people from south america, middle easterners and other ethnic groups.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    Jay_Dubbz - Lost City Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    +1 but what they dont know is that they're actually all from europe except black ppl =)

no sry Americans come from all over the world not just Europe
  • BlubZ - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options

Also Americans come from all different countries in the world, they aren't all from Europe. In fact, most babies born in the US aren't even of European ancestry anymore. There are native americans, people from china, many Hmong people, black people, people from south america, middle easterners and other ethnic groups.

sure they now come from other countries now but back then those lands belonged to Indians and then european ppl hopped in and took those lands from em..i sure know history even i dont even live any near by USA :P
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    sure they now come from other countries now but back then those lands belonged to Indians and then european ppl hopped in and took those lands from em..i sure know history even i dont even live any near by USA :P

Well then in extension of your logic all europeans come from the middle east and africa...

So your point is?

Or maybe you didn't learn that in history class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2011
    Options

If you want to go by "they are all ____" because of the original owners of the lands, that was native American lands so we are all "Indians and Mexicans." If you want to go by the current makeup of the land, we come from all over the globe and are among some of the most ethnically diverse countries. Either way, that doesn't equal all Europeans.

Actually if you want to get technical about, we're all Africans by that logic. Clearly, that isn't the case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • BlubZ - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Well then in extension of your logic all europeans come from the middle east and africa...

So your point is?

Or maybe you didn't learn that in history class.

my point is that Indians are original ppl in USA. europeans took those lands from em and also "kidnapped" black ppl from africa to their slaves...now most of USA ppl doest even know what is europe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANTDkfkoBaI there is 1 example and no i dont diss USA ppl =) and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYjjynROFuI <- best proof
    edited September 2011
    Options
    my point is that Indians are original ppl in USA. europeans took those lands from em and also "kidnapped" black ppl from africa to their slaves...now most of USA ppl doest even know what is europe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANTDkfkoBaI there is 1 example and no i dont diss USA ppl =) and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYjjynROFuI <- best proof

A couple of idiots on a game show equals most Americans don't know what Europe is, despite places like London being one of the most favored vacation destinations for America tourists? And Italy? And France? Despite the fact that many an American book and novel waxes poetic about the British accent? LOL It's just a dumb stereotype, like all french women don't shave under their arms or bathe, or all British people have bad teeth. I'm sure I could even point a picture of people who embody that stereotype. It doesn't make the stereotype true at all and sourcing a game show is just about the dumbest way to get your point across. Especially one that was made specifically to mock the knowledge of adults, and thus only casts people who probably aren't going to win the money based off their prescreening and quiz results.

And Kelly Pickler in particular is famous for being a talented singer who knows little about the rest of the world, or even the rest of the country. She was a small town girl, who very little about even big city life, but one day dreamed of becoming a star. So she auditioned for American Idol, and her talent won her fame.

As for the Australian comedy show, they clearly edited things in a way to paint Americans in a bad light, because it's a comedy show. For example, putting North Korea in the wrong place on the map. I saw the person's hand hover around Asia and then see the big North Korea and assume it was there. When people in authoritative positions such as a map puts something in the wrong place and then another person who hasn't studied it in a long time sees it, they are going to think perhaps their memory failed them. Especially since Geography is mostly taught in elementary school and that's about it. It doesn't make them stupid people. You also don't know how many correct answers were left on the editing floor. You can't trust comedy shows (or segments if this isn't a comedy show) to be an accurate representation of the knowledge level of a region.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options

Chaser is ****ing awesome.

I can't believe they aren't on anymore.

Who else remembers their osama bin laden APEC 2006 prank?

And yeah, American stupidity is a stereotype. It's like that whole women-kitchen thing. It's more of a joke now than a serious topic. ~350million people can't be generalized.

Although it doesn't help that there's things like that museum on creationism, evolution banned in schools, creationism being taught in it's place etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Chaser is ****ing awesome.

I can't believe they aren't on anymore.

Who else remembers their osama bin laden APEC 2006 prank?

And yeah, American stupidity is a stereotype. It's like that whole women-kitchen thing. It's more of a joke now than a serious topic. ~350million people can't be generalized.

Although it doesn't help that there's things like that museum on creationism, evolution banned in schools, creationism being taught in it's place etc.

Evolution cannot be banned in public schools in order to facilitate the teaching of creationism, as ruled by the supreme court of this land.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
  • Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary
    Hazumi_chan - Sanctuary Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I saw some walls of text and I'm too lazy to read them all...
    But if you're QQing about the keyboard too. It isn't even clear what layout the keys on the keyboard have. For all you know they're different then what you're used to.
    QWERTY, QWERTZ, Dvorak, Colemak. And those are just a couple of them. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I saw some walls of text and I'm too lazy to read them all...
    But if you're QQing about the keyboard too. It isn't even clear what layout the keys on the keyboard have. For all you know they're different then what you're used to.
    QWERTY, QWERTZ, Dvorak, Colemak. And those are just a couple of them. b:surrender

From what I can tell, it's QWERTY http://www.logitech.com/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/7246
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pusillanimous:
    edited September 2011
    Options
    This thread full of moral and history lesson.
    Don't go to school or college people, just find people arguing in internet forum.
    b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2011
    Options
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    Rhode Island, due to its small population, has more restrictions regarding contests than any other of the 50 states.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question541.htm

This article even goes on to explain how running contests internationally is a hassle for most companies.

So I heard I quoted this website and you called it moot. Just sayin'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]