how well will this laptop run the game

anwynd
anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
Title says what i wnt. Sense i dont know barely anything about computers and dont know what info you need ill just write down all the info from the site. Didnt wnt to waste money on the laptop if it cant run my favorite game well lol.

Display type: 17.3" TFT
max resolution: 1600 x 900 (WXGA++)
Processor:
-multi-core technology: Dual-core
-Processor: Intel Pentium P6300 /2.26 GHz
Cache memory:
-Type: L3 cache
-Installed Size: 3 MB
Storage:
-Hard drive: 500GB -serial ATA - 300 - 5400 rpm
Ram:
-Installed size: 4 GB / 8 GB (max)
-Technology: DDR3 SDRAM
Video:
-Graphics processor / vendor: Intel HD Graphics Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0
Battery:
-technology: 6- cell lithium ion
-Installed Qty: 1
-Capacity: 47 wh
Card Reader:
-supported flash memory cards: SD memory card, Mulitmedia card

I hope that is enough infob:victory
Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
Post edited by anwynd on

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2011
    Should run it just fine, you may have issues with the teleport map getting cut off at the top and bottom though.

Too bad it doesn't have a real video card. If running Win7 or Vista make sure that the clien'ts executeable files are set to run with administrator rights in the compatibility settings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Should run it just fine, you may have issues with the teleport map getting cut off at the top and bottom though.

Should work awesomely with PWI, it doesn't require much.

That would be the only problem, I have this problem ><.
  • anwynd
    edited August 2011
    im actually gonna have windows XP on it i dispise everything else lolb:cute

EDIT:hmm i guess the tele map being cut off wont rlly bother me tht much i had a pc previously that did that. I rarely go down any where at the bottom of the map and if i do i allways just tele closest as i can and fly to where i wnt to go and go grab a snack well i w8 anyway lol
    It pleases me greatly to hear that it will run the game. I hope it can run the game as well as one of my prev ones did. Man just thinking about having max graphics on and not lagging even in west arch or well doing a TW makes me drool lmao.
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    The on-board graphics card won't be much of an issue, as PWI's game client barely touches the graphics card at all. The game engine is the very old Angelica, from ~2004-2005 era.

Windows XP is a very stable system, but I'd suggest Windows 7. The next stable system up from XP is Windows 7. XP takes less RAM, but Windows 7 has more security and is covered via updates for much longer than XP.

Other than that, you should be able to play PWI fine. If you have issues w/ the teleport map not correctly showing, play in windowed mode, and stretch the client to fit across your screen.
  • anwynd
    edited August 2011
    The on-board graphics card won't be much of an issue, as PWI's game client barely touches the graphics card at all. The game engine is the very old Angelica, from ~2004-2005 era.

Windows XP is a very stable system, but I'd suggest Windows 7. The next stable system up from XP is Windows 7. XP takes less RAM, but Windows 7 has more security and is covered via updates for much longer than XP.

Other than that, you should be able to play PWI fine. If you have issues w/ the teleport map not correctly showing, play in windowed mode, and stretch the client to fit across your screen.

hmm sounds pretty good i just dont like trying new things that often it comes with windows 7 so ill give it a try but if i dont like it i got a windows xp disk w8ing lol.

omfg i never thought of doing that i allways play in full screen*facedesk*
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    anwynd wrote: »
    hmm sounds pretty good i just dont like trying new things that often it comes with windows 7 so ill give it a try but if i dont like it i got a windows xp disk w8ing lol.

omfg i never thought of doing that i allways play in full screen*facedesk*

Glad I could be of service to ya. :)

I always play in windowed mode. Sadly, I have a top of the line laptop but the teleport map cuts off TB/EG area.
  • anwynd
    edited August 2011
    Glad I could be of service to ya. :)

I always play in windowed mode. Sadly, I have a top of the line laptop but the teleport map cuts off TB/EG area.

i dont know if its possible but the devs rlly need to fix that totally ruins some of the point of having a top of the line pc.
    Also srry forgot to say thnk you to all who have posted lolb:victory
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I've fixed laptops and desktops on various OS's and I'd actually recommend keeping XP. Those who would exploit flaws in operating systems tend to target the most popular, and right now Windows 7 is just that. I'm currently running both one desktop and one laptop with XP (one laptop with 7, another desktop with Vista, another laptop with XP Pro I share with the wife) and haven't ever run into any security problems since 2003 when the popular RPC problem hit most people, who were, unsurprisingly, using XP when it was popular. Windows 7 isn't inherently more secure (talking about security and windows in the same sentence is an oxymoron), but it is inherently more hoggish of system resources. Added onto that, being your graphics is IGP it's going to task the CPU even further just by using Windows 7 versus XP which uses extremely little. I'd recommend XP.

The issue someone mentioned with the teleport getting cut off the map is an issue mainly with windowed mode and widescreen. The solution to that is use something closer to 4:3 instead of 16:9 (if fs) or just re-size the window not so wide (if windowed).
  • anwynd
    edited August 2011
    I've fixed laptops and desktops on various OS's and I'd actually recommend keeping XP. Those who would exploit flaws in operating systems tend to target the most popular, and right now Windows 7 is just that. I'm currently running both one desktop and one laptop with XP (one laptop with 7, another desktop with Vista, another laptop with XP Pro I share with the wife) and haven't ever run into any security problems since 2003 when the popular RPC problem hit most people, who were, unsurprisingly, using XP when it was popular. Windows 7 isn't inherently more secure (talking about security and windows in the same sentence is an oxymoron), but it is inherently more hoggish of system resources. Added onto that, being your graphics is IGP it's going to task the CPU even further just by using Windows 7 versus XP which uses extremely little. I'd recommend XP.

The issue someone mentioned with the teleport getting cut off the map is an issue mainly with windowed mode and widescreen. The solution to that is use something closer to 4:3 instead of 16:9 (if fs) or just re-size the window not so wide (if windowed).

I was actually w8ing for you to pop into my thread sense i respect your knowledge lol.
    I think i will just stick to XP then using less is allways the way i like to go lol ty for tht interesting bit of info.b:thanksb:victory
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    anwynd wrote: »
    Title says what i wnt. Sense i dont know barely anything about computers and dont know what info you need ill just write down all the info from the site. Didnt wnt to waste money on the laptop if it cant run my favorite game well lol.

Display type: 17.3" TFT
    max resolution: 1600 x 900 (WXGA++)
    Processor:
    -multi-core technology: Dual-core
    -Processor: Intel Pentium P6300 /2.26 GHz
    Cache memory:
    -Type: L3 cache
    -Installed Size: 3 MB
    Storage:
    -Hard drive: 500GB -serial ATA - 300 - 5400 rpm
    Ram:
    -Installed size: 4 GB / 8 GB (max)
    -Technology: DDR3 SDRAM
    Video:
    -Graphics processor / vendor: Intel HD Graphics Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0
    Battery:
    -technology: 6- cell lithium ion
    -Installed Qty: 1
    -Capacity: 47 wh
    Card Reader:
    -supported flash memory cards: SD memory card, Mulitmedia card

I hope that is enough infob:victory

Get something with dedicated, not integrated graphics.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246137
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • anwynd
    edited August 2011
    Get something with dedicated, not integrated graphics.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246137

your talking to an idiot about pc's here what does dedicated and intergrated graphics mean lolb:surrender
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I tend to use the word discrete when referring to dedicated graphics as I think it's easier to understand in layman's terms, because people know that discrete means individual, which describes a graphics card separate from being soldered onto the board which is also known as shared/IGP/integrated. The upside is that discrete uses it's own GPU and GRAM while IGP uses the CPU/system RAM which is already shared with other board components hence by default tasks the CPU more.

There obviously is an upside to using discrete but there is a downside as well. Three years ago I had a Dell laptop which used a discrete Nvidia graphics card which took a **** and wasted hundreds of out-of-warranty dollars to fix (on top of a run around because Dell required people to talk to the manufacturer) only to find Dell and HP in a class action lawsuit concerning that specific GPU line that I had. The problem that can be had with discrete is compatibility with other components. Board makers already adhere to Intel standards for GMA/HD IGP, which makes them for the most part rock solid. IGP today isn't like IGP of ten years ago, which was absolute ****. I wouldn't recommend IGP for desktops when you have all the space in the world for discrete graphics and it's highly competitive but for laptops to me it can add another element of compatibility which is like constantly installing mods/add-ons to game software or even cars, and common sense tells you, it increases the odds of **** up.

If you're getting what looks like sort of a budget laptop I wouldn't go the route of dedicated, although if you were getting say an ASUS laptop that cost well over $1,000 USD, there's likely more support and more options when dealing with any problems that arise. If it were a Perfect World (pun intended) all laptops would have dedicated graphics and be more streamlined. However, I haven't noticed much difference going from Nvidia to GMA/HD. The real difference I notice is, all around, not just PWI related, going from discrete sound to onboard. For budget laptops though and not the crazy Alienware type it's just a matter of understanding you're not going to get the best of everything.
  • Pyrostormz - Raging Tide
    Pyrostormz - Raging Tide Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    i have a 500 dollar laptop from best buy thats a year and a half old, and runs it fine, runs 2 clients pretty well too

your fine
    ┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
  • Traz - Dreamweaver
    Traz - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    My 6 year old ASUS runs the game fine (except that the copper is almost all gone from heatsink and no direct fan on processor so it shuts off sometimes) but overall good :)
    BladedZero - Sanctuary
    "Also I don't think actually playing through the game helps your skill either."

-And we wonder why this game has gone to hell b:cute