a r9 question about adding def lvl

Venomthekill - Heavens Tear
Venomthekill - Heavens Tear Posts: 95 Arc User
edited July 2011 in Wizard
i have a r9 wizzy with full DOTs which puts me at 110 to atk lvl. I have 4 sockets to go on my helm. I was wondering if i should put some jades in. It would take my def lvl from 26 to 34.

I guess my question is: would the extra +8 to def lvl be noticible for a wizzy? Since it would be 34 def now...
Life is a Garden...Dig Itb:victory

101 Wizzy (r9)
101 BM (5aps/r9)
100 Veno (Farmer)
90 Sin (for goofs)
75 pys (for info)
Post edited by Venomthekill - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    i have a r9 wizzy with full DOTs which puts me at 110 to atk lvl. I have 4 sockets to go on my helm. I was wondering if i should put some jades in. It would take my def lvl from 26 to 34.

I guess my question is: would the extra +8 to def lvl be noticible for a wizzy? Since it would be 34 def now...

yes, and you should replace all of your other dots for jades as well. If you are already full r9, your concern should be survivability, not a tiny bit of extra damage.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    yes, and you should replace all of your other dots for jades as well. If you are already full r9, your concern should be survivability, not a tiny bit of extra damage.

expensiveeeee!
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Lenestro - Sanctuary
    Lenestro - Sanctuary Posts: 490 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    expensiveeeee!

and full r9 isnt?
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Yea, I'd say as a rank9 wizzy, you have enough dmg without the DOT's

Your best bet is shard all what's left with jades, and maybe even replace the dots with jades. Or a rank8 sin is going to laugh at your corpes each time
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    expensiveeeee!

they are expensive for a reason, they are easily the best end game sharding option. I couldn't imagine getting the best/most expensive armor in the game and then settling for mediocre shards.. it just doesn't make sense.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    If you can refine all armors to a good high number, say, +11 or better, garnet gems are just as good, or even better than jade of steady defense when you're getting hit by other R9's. Since a non R9 is unlikely to kill you, they make a pretty suitable cheap replacement imo.

JoSD isn't cheap. On my server a full set of 24 would cost more than the R9 set itself. Is it really worth it? Garnets and JoSD compare favorably imo, and the arcane set already gives enough magic defense. This makes even more sense if you're demon wiz, with that insane 150% bonus to p. def.

Only downside is you are a LOT weaker when purged.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    If you can refine all armors to a good high number, say, +11 or better, garnet gems are just as good, or even better than jade of steady defense when you're getting hit by other R9's. Since a non R9 is unlikely to kill you, they make a pretty suitable cheap replacement imo.

JoSD isn't cheap. On my server a full set of 24 would cost more than the R9 set itself. Is it really worth it? Garnets and JoSD compare favorably imo, and the arcane set already gives enough magic defense. This makes even more sense if you're demon wiz, with that insane 150% bonus to p. def.

Only downside is you are a LOT weaker when purged.

Garnets are only useful against physical classes, which gives you half benefit right there. Take a look on http://aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html, I think you'd be surprised how different sharding options really perform.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited June 2011
    DoT's are nice as well.

i do not approve b:angry
  • Evanera - Heavens Tear
    Evanera - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,423 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I survive well enough with 3 pieces of DoT gear. If I lag like I normally do, I'm dying anyway. Besides..even with no lag I think I would still want DoT gear. I would be able to react fast enough to get out of a situation. Lag kills me more often than 3 r9 archer barrages on me..
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    I also think JoSDs are far better than DoT, but is also far better expensive. If OP already has DoT, I think it would be huge money waste to just reshard it again with JoSD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Against our #1 main nemesis in TW, a full R9 archer, sharding all garnets actually increases our survivability compared to JoSD. I tested this on both Asterelle's calculator, and crunching the numbers by myself on PWI calc.

In addition, sharding all garnets vs JoSD saves about 600 million coins, which is enough to basically get your entire armor set to +11, or around 3 peices to +12 (assuming that someone who has R9 already has all +10...if you don't...why did you go R9? Nothing more embarassing than getting +4 R9 armors and getting owned by R8 people w/ decent refines).

R9 already gives a default 11k+ magic defense. So the choice basically depends on your server. Does your server have a lot of R9 +12 archers? Then go with garnets imo. Server chock full of Wiz and Psychic? Go JoSD.

But ONLY go JOSD IMO once you have all of your gears MINIMUM full R9 +11 or better, and preferably half of them +12. The cost of JoSD is just not worth it, when you could get garnets instead, then use the money you save to refine your armors for an extra 1500 hp.

So do you get killed more by psychics and wizards, or archers and R9 aps sins?

If you use defense charms in TW, well, the magic ones come out a lot better, since magic attacks are a lot less frequent than aps sins/machine gun archers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
This discussion has been closed.