Archers at Dreadindra

Options
Falcondance - Heavens Tear
Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Archer
Hey. When I'm in FF and I'm at the fourth (bishop) boss, Dreadindra, where should I be standing? I don't want to get so close that Dreadindra gets into my dead zone and I start dealing half damage, but if I'm not close enough to the boss, it hassles my squad to have to run after the bishops that spawn on me. I try to stand off at an angle while still dealing full damage, but my squad has a conniption because I'm not close enough. I would rather not switch out my bow for some dinky Annihilator of Souls, either.

What do other archers do in this situation?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
Sig pic by Nowitsawn
Post edited by Falcondance - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Stand away.

Do people really get mad having to walk 5 or 10 meters to reach the bishop?
  • Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You would be surprised. Mid-fight is usually not the time to stoically defend my opinion, either, simply because if too many bishops spawn the fight gets much harder than it should be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • NekoCreeper - Heavens Tear
    NekoCreeper - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yeah, people get mad and kick you out of squad and **** but Falcon, you should get fists bro. I'd give you stuff off my account but I don't have the game anymore.
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I just stand away and shoot.When the squad scold sme for not coming closer,I go,"Sure,let me do half damage while we killing bishops and boss".If they ask me to use fists,I go,"Of course,fists deal 1/4 of my normal damage and have double the attack rate.Wonder how much damage I deal"
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Fist him.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Here's the problem:

If the bishop spawns on you, it's on you.

If you are too far away, melees cannot hit it especially when it does AOE paralyze.

Unless you're ranged tanking, you can be purged.

Purged people take more damage because they lack defensive buffs.

Squad has to spend more time going to you to fight a bishop.

Bishop spawning on you will hit you melee, reducing your damage upon it because it'll be too close.

Boss that would be much easier if melees could hit it is now more unnecessarily difficult, and in some cases, can kill low archer.

Squad gets more irritated.

Only two logical conclusions:

- Get fists, as mentioned.

- Nerf your damage for one boss and get up close. Hell, buy some herb yuanxiao and barrage the boss if you have to so you hit the boss and the bishops when they spawn.

Standing away obviously is not much of an option for almost every squad.
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Alrighty, thanks for the replies. I have 97 str with gear, so should I be packing Annihilator of Souls or something on my FF trips, and just hotkey them? x) Note that I won't have Deicides any time in the forseeable future. Also, Neko, since not many people can quit MMOs cold-turkey, I'd probably just end up holding onto your stuff til you came back :L
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I suggest looking for a pair of 3* with -0.05 or a high level pair of claws with -req. Annilator isn't really that good. That said, the base damage isn't bad either.
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Kill the bishop yourself maybe?!

Only 1-3 bishops should spawn with a 9X party. If one pops up next to you away from rest of party than just kill it. Cant see why rest of party have to stop DD the boss and run over to assist on 1 mob O_O

You can always get Frost Fists. They arent that costly and you only need 135 strength. Should get decent DPS with those if you have rank4/6 top + and cloak.
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I guess I get unlucky parties, then. I very rarely have APS in the squads I join. I suppose that once I start getting into those parties, bishops will become more of a nonfactor. Or hey, I could get APS, with the frost fists I could hit 3APS and not spend thousands of dollars getting there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • Aquilez - Sanctuary
    Aquilez - Sanctuary Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I just stand away and shoot.When the squad scold sme for not coming closer,I go,"Sure,let me do half damage while we killing bishops and boss".If they ask me to use fists,I go,"Of course,fists deal 1/4 of my normal damage and have double the attack rate.Wonder how much damage I deal"

yeah you are right, fists do much less dmg, that is why 90% of archers have fists for instances, we do that just so the squad will take more time to end it, and guess what they love when we use fists

crazy world huh? b:chuckle
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    basically, what i do when dealing with dreddy is sticking a short distance away from the party; i use knockback arrow if the little ****s spawn on me. make sure youre lined up to push it into the direction of the melees. if this is too difficult for one to accoplish; use a pair of claws. no BFD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Fist him.

/thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    Options
    /thread
    at least this isnt the game in your sig... the answer there would be to "sonic blow" him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    at least this isnt the game in your sig... the answer there would be to "sonic blow" him.

Relevance?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I used my pimpstick. For shtz and gigglez. Seriously :o
    b:dirty
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Relevance?
    your sig is an assassin cross from iRO. if sin x was in PW, the answer to bishops would be to 'sonic blow'-ing him as opposed to the innuendo of 'fisting him.' talk about flying over ones head, geez.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beniyoung
    beniyoung Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Is easy the solution an is called "Winged Pledge" the unique and usefull short range atack and deal a good atack. b:laugh
  • Arenaceous - Lost City
    Arenaceous - Lost City Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Why not just stand in a distance where you can use knockback arrow to knock em to the rest of the party. Then you can DD with your bow at full damage and the party can hit the bishop with the aoes.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead."

- Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You know, there's a solution to this that doesn't require forsaking the whole point of your class. And that solution is: don't run with a random squad, as random squads are often made up of over-caffienated 13-year-olds who care about nothing except the fastest, easiest exp and gear, and will take every opportunity to critisize you about things that do not deserve criticism, especially mid-fight.

I'm with Elena on this - stand away. Don't reduce yourself to fists just because a few kids start whining about having to run 5 whole meters. If a bishop spawns on me in FF, sometimes I do break out the highest fist wep I'll ever use (I refuse to use anything more powerful on a class not designed for fists) on that particular bishop just so I don't have to change position, but then it's back to bow.

If a squad would kick me for that, that's not a squad I want to run with. Having a good faction or good friendlist is your greatest asset in finding non-idiotic squads for FF (and lots of other things, too).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

^^ why archers are losing spots to other DDs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ^^ why archers are losing spots to other DDs
    ^^ Major problem with community relations in general. >_> "My run will go 10 minutes slower if you're in it! GTFO!"

(not blaming you for that, just saying)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Blades or gtfo.
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The answers posted in this sub-forum are biased towards archers who prefer to attack from a distance.

Perhaps it would be better if you posted in the Dungeons & Tactics forum, to get a more open-minded set of opinions.
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Its a god damned bishop. How hard is it for any ONE person to just kill it and move on... there i no need for the entire squad to jump on the thing. Half of the time you can just ignore the bishop until the boss is dead. And if it annoy you enough, turn and kill it.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • _Leif - Lost City
    _Leif - Lost City Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Its a god damned bishop. How hard is it for any ONE person to just kill it and move on... there i no need for the entire squad to jump on the thing. Half of the time you can just ignore the bishop until the boss is dead. And if it annoy you enough, turn and kill it.

I think you're forgetting what life was like back at level 80 without a +12 rank 8 bow. Seriously doubt the OP can afford to ignore 4 or 5 bishops spawning, nor can he solo them.
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think you're forgetting what life was like back at level 80 without a +12 rank 8 bow. Seriously doubt the OP can afford to ignore 4 or 5 bishops spawning, nor can he solo them.

9x squads should be able to kill it before he spawns 3 bishops. Unless it's a full caster squad.

On a side note, how many archers uses bows on bosses? Exactly, argument becomes irrelevant.

Back in the mid 9x (+4 HS), I would use wingspan when a bishop spawns, then take out my bow and solo it, so I don't know why you're saying bishops are not possible to be solo. I did with a HS, whose base attack isn't that much higher than a FC bow.
    edited January 2011
    Options
    On a side note, how many archers uses bows on bosses? Exactly, argument becomes irrelevant.

Many still do.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2011
    Options
    *raises hand*

It may surprise you to learn that there are, in fact, quite a few archers who won't forsake the basis of their class just to make their DPS higher. -_-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

I still use bow... the only fist I can wear is the level 70 mold dark flash.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf