Myriad Rainbow and Sage Soul Degen?

2»

Comments

• JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    It is entirely possible that Sharptooth and Sage SD works differently in Frost because in there, mobs have set EXP and Spirit values (out of proportion to their HP and defense).

That being said, I would be highly annoyed if either of these skills were used in Frost. The amount of time it saves is so negligible with the boss HP being so embarrassingly low that it's not worth even the -chance- of -possible- experience loss in an EXPERIENCE instance.
    That's true, well, the HP and "working differently", if you want to look at the skills overall. STA is also a damage+AOE skill. SD is not. However, the focus is on the Max HP debuff that they come with and the XP nerf that results from the loss of HP that the game doesn't recognize as damage and thus does not convert to XP.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    We all KNOW that it reduces experience in "normal" instances i.e. BH (not from a CoD quest, but from the boss itself), as well as on world mobs. That's not being argued.

What I was basically saying is that whether or not it reduces exp in frost is kind of a moot point, because using it saves you so little time it's not worth the chance. b:surrender

Sorry if I wasn't clear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    Yeah you were clear, I don't think I emphasized well enough that I agreed with that point --- but I do, good point!
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Let's not forget that the duration of Soul Degeneration is 30 seconds. The duration of Amplify is 20 seconds (for LVL 10/11SAGE and +5 seconds for DEMON). With the cooldown of both skills being 30 seconds, you can just (in the perfect case) hold SAGE Soul Degeneration up all the time, so the monster's HP regeneration is in theory 0. Where you have 10 seconds non Amplified monster and 5 seconds non amplified in the purrfect case for the Amplify.*

*That all not counting the channeling and casting of the skills. So it's about +/- 3 seconds.
    I took that into account. I assigned 30 sec cooldown + 1.5 sec channel time to both skills. The extra 1.5 sec spent channeling is why the boss' regen is reduced to .0476R instead of zero. And the 20 sec out of 31.5 sec is why Sage Amp's damage bonus is only 1.1905 instead of 1.3.

For the Soul Degen vs. Amp on a regenerating boss case, it turned out the channeling time cancels out of the comparison. So the break-even point is exact.

For the skill effectiveness calcs, it's still a factor. I thought of using 1.2 sec instead of 1.5 to reflect a more typical veno (20% channeling). But that could open up a whole new line of argument about what amount of channeling is the appropriate average amount. The effect is small (1.1923 instead of 1.1905, about 0.15% difference), so I just went with 1.5 sec to avoid all that.
    Personally, no offense to Solandri, but I find the numbers somewhat overrated and often times skewed based on perception.
    None taken. In fact I completely agree. After I posted those calcs I spent the rest of the day (away from the computer) worrying, "Did I miss anything? Did I forget something stupid? Was there a factor I forgot to include?" I'm not some fail-proof oracle. If anyone sees any flaws or has any questions about the calcs I post, please bring them up and I will try my best to explain or correct them. I try to outline any assumptions or simplifications I make, but I've made numerous corrections and adjustments in the past based on input from others.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Maybe it does...

I used it on Holeen final form. Then I canceled it with amplify.

Upon death, I got 480,000xp.

This is usually 526,000.

But really, I find that Soul Degeneration is best used on that stun boss before pheonix. Other than that, there is no point using it in FCC.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, if there's any boss it's worth using on, Fragrance is worth shortening because a barb has to tank it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    I guess Gwen is still testing it. b:chuckle